Fantasy Premier League 22/23

If Cucurella moves to City it creates a huge headache and I’m not comfortable spending 7.0 on Cancelo not knowing he is going to start. I might make the move to Robertson or downgrade to Laporte and bring in Ederson to cover City’s defense.

I get you and i am struggling too between two 8s and premium plus cheap 4,5 but it is not terrible idea. It was terrible last few years but this year (with all these cheap 4,5 defenders is not). How can you be sure that two 8s (lets say Jesus and Foden) will outscore Haaland and 4,5mil playing defender? It is not about captain option, it is strictly about points.

It's been terrible every year and this year is no different, there's no reason to think it will be. In all honesty it's not complicated, premiums are priced at inflated prices as their capitainable. If they're not captain - they're not as valuable. Stats clearly show that every single year (eg PPM).

My point is literally that it's about points, which is why three premiums isn't a good idea. You're basically just hoping for an FPL anomaly by going down that route.

Getting the two best premiums and rotating captaincy is the FPL meta.

Do you think the opening 6 fixtures are worth attacking in that way over say picking 2 and just moving Kane to Haaland or Salah to Son as and when, whilst padding out your team with better players over scrubs? 6 weeks is still 6 weeks and Liverpool and City especially have plum fixtures and a lot of people will triple up on them.
Yeah, not having 3 Liverpool especially is a big downside. I think that can be possibly done with TAA, Salah and Diaz. So it depends if you want City defense or Spurs premium attackers. That's what it basically comes down to, are you gonna go through those Spurs fixtures without them (first 4 look great to me) and Kane and Son are already doing the same things this season. There are some pretty decent 3-mium drafts that cover other positions well. You won't get big at the back with chelsea wingbacks etc but that's the tradeoff.

But yeah to your question, I think there is a lot of potential upside in getting on those Spurs players with Soton, Wolves, Forest etc. And the thing about going Kane/Son is you know exactly what you are gonna get from them, they are involved in such a massive amount of goals for Spurs and have no xMins issues. I mean, Kane since Conte has taken over is literally blowing the league out of the water (including Salah etc) when it comes to any relevant underlying stat, and despite Son doing the business he racked up 6.7 PPM during Conte's time which is mental. Do I think I can give up Reece James etc for getting him instead of say Jesus/Diaz? Probably yeah.

It's been terrible every year and this year is no different, there's no reason to think it will be. In all honesty it's not complicated, premiums are priced at inflated prices as their capitainable. If they're not captain - they're not as valuable. Stats clearly show that every single year (eg PPM).

My point is literally that it's about points, which is why three premiums isn't a good idea. You're basically just hoping for an FPL anomaly by going down that route.

Getting the two best premiums and rotating captaincy is the FPL meta.
Damn.....feck. you convinced me. I thought my team is locked and now between Jesus, Martial, Mahrez and Foden i must pick two. Dropping Haaland then.

Damn youuuuuuuu :)

Crazy going without Haaland. Esp for that Forest at home game. Nuts. All the pseudo-science analytics in here. I've got both him and Kane in right now.

After many attempts i am settling with this for GW1. Not a massive fan of 2 newcastle players so depending how they start against Forest i guess i may have some early decisions to make.

Raya
James, Persic, TAA, Trippier
Salah (c), Sancho, Maddison, Bruno G
Kane, Jesus

OK, first draft. First time I'm going without Salah for years, but then its the first time Liverpool's front 3 has changed in years so there's no guarantee it will perform in the same way.

Alisson
Begovic

TAA
James
Cancelo
Dalot
Cucurella

Sancho
Coutino
Ward Prowse
Andreas
Diallo

Darwin
Kane
Jesus

2.0 left in the bank

Daaamn. For Raya, Haaland and Murphy i get Martial, Alisson and Mahrez.
feck Haaland. He will flop anyway. :lol:

:lol: have you played this game before? If Haaland goes on a scoring run in the first few gw's he'll be £12m+ by the time you wildcard. You'll be playing it very early in this scenario.
I have, and at any price, you can get any player with the wildcard. Considering that we effectively have three wildcards this time, the early wildcard will be popular, and I'm picking the players i feel will give me the most points in the first few gameweeks. For what it's worth, I will likely have Kane or Haaland in my team simply because I think they are good picks.

I feel it is unnecessary to see player prices and making transfers easier as a deal breaker when more players to have will only show themselves after the first GW, and there is only one transfer per GW which is usually no where near enough early in the season.

If an expensive player bangs and many rush to get them, but they are not affordable because the money was spread, there will still be an affordable player that also banged that many will be rushing to get too. There is only one available free transfer for everyone after all, and the wildcard is there.

OK, first draft. First time I'm going without Salah for years, but then its the first time Liverpool's front 3 has changed in years so there's no guarantee it will perform in the same way.

Alisson
Begovic

TAA
James
Cancelo
Dalot
Cucurella

Sancho
Coutino
Ward Prowse
Andreas
Diallo

Darwin
Kane
Jesus

2.0 left in the bank
Why have 2.0 sitting in the bank? At most you have is 0.5 going into GW1. Use it to upgrade your midfield. It’s weak at the moment. Also you don’t have Salah cause you don’t know how their attack will perform and yet you’re willing to pay 9.0 for a Liverpool attacker who has never played a minute of premier league football?

Locked in and commited:

Allison

Laporte - Robertson - Perisic - Zinchenko

Salah - Odegaard - Guimaraes - Sancho

Kane (C) - Vardy

Subs: Forster, Pereira, N. Williams, Taylor

Not touching it now until an hour before deadline, when the last-minute panic ensues!!!

Why have 2.0 sitting in the bank? At most you have is 0.5 going into GW1. Use it to upgrade your midfield. It’s weak at the moment. Also you don’t have Salah cause you don’t know how their attack will perform and yet you’re willing to pay 9.0 for a Liverpool attacker who has never played a minute of premier league football?

4.0 difference between Darwin and and Salah so if that doesn't work I have the 2.0 at my disposal to upgrade. I've always found it useful to have a little in the bank in the early game weeks

Alisson
Begovic

TAA
James
Cancelo
Dalot
Cucurella

Sancho
Coutino
Ward Prowse
Andreas
Diallo

Darwin
Kane
Jesus

2.0 left in the bank
no point in having £2m in the bank, especially with two wild cards and a WC freebie.

midfield looks weak? add it there?

What do folks mean by having 3 potential wildcards this season?
The extra World Cup one. You can almost split the season into four… what you start with, a WC around GW 7/8, then the World Cup chip mid season, then second WC with maybe 5-10 weeks left.

In other seasons, your WC chip was for aug-Dec so your initial choices had to be more medium term. With the world cup bonus chip, you can look more short term and be a bit more adventurous

2 regular wc plus one during world cup break
The extra World Cup one. You can almost split the season into four… what you start with, a WC around GW 7/8, then the World Cup chip mid season, then second WC with maybe 5-10 weeks left.

In other seasons, your WC chip was for aug-Dec so your initial choices had to be more medium term. With the world cup bonus chip, you can look more short term and be a bit more adventurous
Cheers boys

Perisic is key to all my drafts. If he starts I want him badly. If not I am happy to even downgrade him to Neco and use the money to get Martial, Rashford, Sancho.

Also is Mendy worth 5.5 and thus undervalued? Although high chance he gets Covid and you are left with one keeper if you just pick him.

Last edited:
Tbf that's probably the best possible team with three premiums but the midfield is awful. I don't think the Neto argument is overly relevant either, it's not everyone's plan and nowhere near as detrimental to a team as three premiums is.

In terms of 8m midfielders, there's a boat load with a high ceiling. Essentially the only way a threemium works out for you is if every one of the 8m midfielders flops massively. You essentially just have to look at stats like PPG to see that over the course of a season what the better option is.

It doesn’t look as good as some midfields in the eye test, but when you consider that Rashford on form had the potential to be a 9 million player, and that Martinelli is predicted to give the highest returns for Arsenal in the first 5 games (and is severely underpriced at 6 million), I think it could be a masterstroke for whoever tries it.

If they bang, who are going to be the players that fly up in value early doors?

It will be the likes of Rashford and Martinelli that everyone can fit in.

This teams value could be massive by the break.

Perisic is key to all my drafts. If he starts I want him badly. If not I am happy to even downgrade him to Neco and use the money to get Martial, Rashford, Sancho.

Also is Mendy worth 5.5 and thus undervalued? Although high chance he gets Covid and you are left with one keeper if you just pick him.

I got rid of Perisic, he's not played a minute in pre season , in fact he hasn't even been involved in training. Still recovering from his injury in May and won't start training til Spurs get back to London. Rumored to get a bit of a run in against Rangers on Saturday, but will he start the first couple of games?

I got rid of Perisic, he's not played a minute in pre season , in fact he hasn't even been involved in training. Still recovering from his injury in May and won't start training til Spurs get back to London. Rumored to get a bit of a run in against Rangers on Saturday, but will he start the first couple of games?

Will Sessengon play instead? He is just 4.5 and could be a gem.

I do want someone from Spurs.

No City defence, no Arsenal attack, only one Liverpool attacker, Rashford AND Martinelli both minutes risks.

I think it’d look better if you chose one of James / Chilwell, put in a City defender and downgraded Perisic to a cheaper but more nailed defender - maybe an Arse 4.5. Then use the money to strengthen the midfield a bit.

You can never have everything, but it could be outweighed by the choices in budget picks. Rashford and Martinelli will fly up in price is they hit anywhere near what they are capable of.

You could easily get in a City defender, and if Cucurella moves and you get him in at 5 mil along with Trippier, you could be laughing.

I, personally, wouldn’t change the midfield if I were to play this, because Martinelli/Rashford, on form, could point as well as any most of the 8 mil, and will jump up in price if they start well.

Will Sessengon play instead? He is just 4.5 and could be a gem.

I do want someone from Spurs.

Keep an eye on Spurs last two preseason games, this Saturday against Rangers and the following Saturday against Roma. A number of people expect Djed Spence to start over Doherty as right wingback and he costs 4.5.

Keep an eye on Spurs last two preseason games, this Saturday against Rangers and the following Saturday against Roma. A number of people expect Djed Spence to start over Doherty as right wingback and he costs 4.5.

I will for sure. Just there is risk with rotation in those positions for sure.

I guess if Spurs want to change things around it is the wingbacks that are subbed first or central midfield.

I think Perisic is most nailed if fit I think, but at his age you never know.

My replacement for Perisic is likely Gabriel. Very solid and nailed pick that fits my squad very well and Arsenal got really nice fixtures.

Then last pick is either Neco or Dalot or Spurs def. Thinking Dalot should be worth the extra 0.5. If we still suck then I guess I can sell him before Liverpool game.

Last edited:
I was only 99% sure on Haaland.. now its a definite guarantee he'll smash it.
Every single time last year when i had 50:50 choice, i chose badly.
This year, new story. I mean.....i can't have bad luck two years in a row

Yeah, i call it bad luck :wenger:

When he bangs 2 against Leeds... I'll be quoting all these posts from you. I've been saving them.

The other year a guy In our league had Neto and I thought what a crap pick.
But he seemed to get decent points regularly.

I'd be more worried to have him but not be able to get him off the bench each week