Fantasy Premier League 22/23

Yeah I agree and that one asset is Sancho for me however if Ronaldo doesn’t start then Martial is also a punt worth having for the first few fixtures
Think there are better midfielders near Sancho's price than forwards near Martial's price. Currently on Martial as my Man Utd player. It's him or Wilson, but Wilson is yet to get going in preseason so far.

Is a 523 FPL system a bit suicidal or anti template (in a bad way)?

Im just finding little in the 6-7 range for midfield but way more in defence.

Right now I have Martial in my draft, assuming Ronaldo goes. But that means only Salah + Rashford in midfield.

The defence is mostly / all premiums though. No big name excluded there.
The reason I don't fancy 523 is that for one, midfielders are proven to be the best returners in the game, and apart from that, you would need to have three 4.5m midfielders when you could have two 4.0m defenders in a 343. It's basically leaving 1.0m unnecessarily on the bench.

Like the way you think. I've got 2 final drafts at the ready. One draft if Ronaldo stays and another draft if Ronaldo leaves. Ronaldo is essentially the FPL headache here. :rolleyes:
Ronaldo is the least of my worries in picking Man Utd attackers right now especially Martial. I think Ten Hag already confirmed Ronaldo will miss start of season, and with a likely early wildcard, could always make a decision to keep or sell them based on how the situation develops.

Perma captain Salah draft (no big striker and Zinchenko if/when he goes to Arsenal)...

Ederson
TAA Zinchenko James Cancelo
Salah Mount Mahrez Diaz
Jesus Martial

I mean I won't do it but it's quite spicy. All those £8m mids are available to you so could be any 3. Martial can be whatever mid/low price striker pops off.

Only issues are no Spurs (but I'd only want Son or Kane until we know who's first choice) and no way to get to Haaland/Kane in one transfer which is the main problem.

I keep seeing that Kane has better fixtures than Haaland, but I'm not seeing it. What does everyone think? I'm currently on Kane anyway with Mahrez as my City attacker.
Both. I think that threemium is the way for first few weeks. Later....who knows.
I have switched between Haaland and dross vs two 8 mil players dozen times already and everytime i remove Haaland i get a feeling that he will score for fun.
When i have him i think that he will flop. Kane is my first name on the sheet so i am not even thinking of removing him.

It would be so much better that bloody Haaland is not an option :(

My second draft since last post. Latest draft based on pre-season form and/or minutes

Perisic hasn’t kicked a ball in pre-season yet, so brought in Trippier.

brought in Rasford as no brainer for 6.5 if he keeps showing up like he has in pre-season

jesus in for Udanav or however you spell it - great form too and looks likely to feature a lot

consolidated to 1 keeper as will prob wildcard early anyway with the free transfers GW17-18 anyway

Can easily still flip flop here. Mainly on a 4.5 keeper (might go Meslier still) and of course the Kane vs Halaand conundrum.

see Diaz is a high pick, but still think Robertson is better for me as he scores well and I can offset that with a better midfield with the extra money on the kitty

Both. I think that threemium is the way for first few weeks. Later....who knows.
I have switched between Haaland and dross vs two 8 mil players dozen times already and everytime i remove Haaland i get a feeling that he will score for fun.
When i have him i think that he will flop. Kane is my first name on the sheet so i am not even thinking of removing him.

Is one of Kane/Haaland and a 4.5m mid really better than Jesus + 8m midfielder, though? Extremely doubtful.

Is one of Kane/Haaland and a 4.5m mid really better than Jesus + 8m midfielder, though? Extremely doubtful.
Don't. Don't ask me that!! Because i am fighting with that thought last seven days.... :mad:
My logic is; it is not Premium plus dross vs Jesus and 8m mc. It is premium and some weaker starter. In my case Dalot and Haaland vs Martial (Jesus) and Mahrez(Foden).
And i think Haaland and Dalot will get more points. Especially in round 1

Mendy (Gazzaniga)
James, TAA, Cancelo, Botman (Tomiyasu)
Salah, Sancho, Ødegaard, Bruno G (Andreas)
Haaland, Jesus (Greenwood)

Don't. Don't ask me that!! Because i am fighting with that thought last seven days.... :mad:
My logic is; it is not Premium plus dross vs Jesus and 8m mc. It is premium and some weaker starter. In my case Dalot and Haaland vs Martial (Jesus) and Mahrez(Foden).
And i think Haaland and Dalot will get more points. Especially in round 1
Ooooh. Martial (Jesus) and Mahrez(Foden) sounds really good! :angel:

Threemium is a terrible idea. The whole point of their inflated price is that they're captainable. Over the course of a season you'd be lucky to break into the top 1m by going that route.

Mendy (Gazzaniga)
James, TAA, Cancelo, Botman (Tomiyasu)
Salah, Sancho, Ødegaard, Bruno G (Andreas)
Haaland, Jesus (Greenwood)

looking decent - i’d change Ødegaard and Bruno G if it was me. They’ll mostly get the 3rd last touch before a goal and Bruno G might have overperformed last year, dont think he can sustain that level in his CM position.

Andreas (on set pieces) or Tomiyasu is usable for you, so i’d go and get a 4.5 + an 8.0 man instead.. Saka or Luiz Dias

Just entered my FP team;

Henderson - Gazzaniga
TAA - James - Cancelo - Trippier - Kongolo
Salah - Sancho - Bowen - Hojbjerg - Murphy
Haaland - Martial - Greenwood

Changed it about 100 times, but going with it now!

Threemium is a terrible idea. The whole point of their inflated price is that they're captainable. Over the course of a season you'd be lucky to break into the top 1m by going that route.

I am currently not on one, but I have one saved that is very tempting, with a lot of players I would go for anyway. I just don’t feel this is the truth this year.

You have to gamble on a few players, but a lot of people with only two premiums are playing the likes of Neto anyway!

Raya

TAA
James
Chilwell
Perisic
Dalot

Rashford
Salah
Martinelli

Kane
Haaland

You could go with two great 5.0 mil options at the back instead of Perisic/Dalot, or you could bring Martinelli down to Neto and go with Dias/Laporte instead of Perisic.

FBs and Rashford/Martinelli are superb value. It’s a viable option this year at the start in my opinion, especially when you consider that a lot of the 8 million options have their own issues.

Sounds like a no brainer doesn't it

But

The bigger issue and what people try to do at the start is have the highest priced player in every outfield position so you can jump onto anyone that bangs at the start of the season. So essentially your template would be TAA, Salah and one of Kane/Haaland.

If you go without one of Kane or Haaland and the latter scores 4 against Bournemouth then you might struggle to get him in.

I think if you go with the latter strategy you've got to stick to it and hope that your £8m picks can cover it. Which was part of my thinking in the perma captain Salah strategy from earlier.

I am currently not on one, but I have one saved that is very tempting, with a lot of players I would go for anyway. I just don’t feel this is the truth this year.

You have to gamble on a few players, but a lot of people with only two premiums are playing the likes of Neto anyway!

Raya

TAA
James
Chilwell
Perisic
Dalot

Rashford
Salah
Martinelli

Kane
Haaland

You could go with two great 5.0 mil options at the back instead of Perisic/Dalot, or you could bring Martinelli down to Neto and go with Dias/Laporte instead of Perisic.

FBs and Rashford/Martinelli are superb value. It’s a viable option this year at the start in my opinion, especially when you consider that a lot of the 8 million options have their own issues.

No City defence, no Arsenal attack, only one Liverpool attacker, Rashford AND Martinelli both minutes risks.

I think it’d look better if you chose one of James / Chilwell, put in a City defender and downgraded Perisic to a cheaper but more nailed defender - maybe an Arse 4.5. Then use the money to strengthen the midfield a bit.

Saw a decent analysis of whether going with 3 big hitters is worth it.
Say Haaland & Salah v Son on top.

Long story short is that the key advantage of the big hitter is the captaincy, so while 2 can rotate, with 3, you're losing that captaincy option for your money.

With so many high ceiling defenders at good price points, plus the likes of Jesus/Havertz and a few lowish priced mids like Rashford/Grealish who could potentially explode, it's surely not worth it.

Sounds like a no brainer doesn't it

But

The bigger issue and what people try to do at the start is have the highest priced player in every outfield position so you can jump onto anyone that bangs at the start of the season. So essentially your template would be TAA, Salah and one of Kane/Haaland.

If you go without one of Kane or Haaland and the latter scores 4 against Bournemouth then you might struggle to get him in.

I think if you go with the latter strategy you've got to stick to it and hope that your £8m picks can cover it. Which was part of my thinking in the perma captain Salah strategy from earlier.
This really shouldn't be a concern with the first wildcard still there and likely to be played early.

This really shouldn't be a concern with the first wildcard still there and likely to be played early.

:lol: have you played this game before? If Haaland goes on a scoring run in the first few gw's he'll be £12m+ by the time you wildcard. You'll be playing it very early in this scenario.

looking decent - i’d change Ødegaard and Bruno G if it was me. They’ll mostly get the 3rd last touch before a goal and Bruno G might have overperformed last year, dont think he can sustain that level in his CM position.

Andreas (on set pieces) or Tomiyasu is usable for you, so i’d go and get a 4.5 + an 8.0 man instead.. Saka or Luiz Dias

Both of them are at risk for sure, but I'm not comfortable changing any of them to a 4,5.
Ramsey, Rashford, Martinelli and Neto are all being considered.

I get you and i am struggling too between two 8s and premium plus cheap 4,5 but it is not terrible idea. It was terrible last few years but this year (with all these cheap 4,5 defenders is not). How can you be sure that two 8s (lets say Jesus and Foden) will outscore Haaland and 4,5mil playing defender? It is not about captain option, it is strictly about points.

Saw a decent analysis of whether going with 3 big hitters is worth it.
Say Haaland & Salah v Son on top.

Long story short is that the key advantage of the big hitter is the captaincy, so while 2 can rotate, with 3, you're losing that captaincy option for your money.

With so many high ceiling defenders at good price points, plus the likes of Jesus/Havertz and a few lowish priced mids like Rashford/Grealish who could potentially explode, it's surely not worth it.
This is my thinking exactly.

I swear we have this debate every season. 2 has always been optimal. Even 1 is fine if you're going to stick the armband on him every week like we all did with Salah at the start of last season.

I swear we have this debate every season. 2 has always been optimal. Even 1 is fine if you're going to stick the armband on him every week like we all did with Salah at the start of last season.
The difference this season is the extra WC, which means you can attack the initial phase with the best premiums and don't have to focus on long term picks, give you are gonna change the whole team in 6 odd GWs.

Yeah I agree. Also if your premiums don’t fire you will have a terrible week. Assuming you have Salah, Kane and Haaland and either they get rested and/or don’t score. You don’t really have a cover in midfield to get you some points cause you have the likes of only Neto to get you something. Wouldn’t hold my breath. It’s all down to your defense at that point.

Raya

TAA
James
Chilwell
Perisic
Dalot

Rashford
Salah
Martinelli

Kane
Haaland

Tbf that's probably the best possible team with three premiums but the midfield is awful. I don't think the Neto argument is overly relevant either, it's not everyone's plan and nowhere near as detrimental to a team as three premiums is.

In terms of 8m midfielders, there's a boat load with a high ceiling. Essentially the only way a threemium works out for you is if every one of the 8m midfielders flops massively. You essentially just have to look at stats like PPG to see that over the course of a season what the better option is.

The difference this season is the extra WC, which means you can attack the initial phase with the best premiums and don't have to focus on long term picks, give you are gonna change the whole team in 6 odd GWs.

Do you think the opening 6 fixtures are worth attacking in that way over say picking 2 and just moving Kane to Haaland or Salah to Son as and when, whilst padding out your team with better players over scrubs? 6 weeks is still 6 weeks and Liverpool and City especially have plum fixtures and a lot of people will triple up on them.

I always try to get into this but end up giving up a few games in. I won the Euro fantasy league we set up with work so going to try give this a proper bash. What are top tips?

Yeah I agree. Also if your premiums don’t fire you will have a terrible week. Assuming you have Salah, Kane and Haaland and either they get rested and/or don’t score. You don’t really have a cover in midfield to get you some points cause you have the likes of only Neto to get you something. Wouldn’t hold my breath. It’s all down to your defense at that point.
Most of the drafts with three in, have Rashford and Martinelli. Not saying they’re guaranteed starters and guaranteed scorers, but it’s not “just Neto”?

Agree that when they don’t score, that’s a shitload of cash tied up, but theres a reason they’re premiums? Salah top scoring Mf, Kane top scoring Fwd, Haaland a top top player and Pep has already talked about tweaks to style to ensure lots of early crosses/passes into the box.

With their early fixtures (it looks like City were allowed to pick their schedule looking at start/run in), they could score 20 between them in first 7 weeks. Or could score ten and a cheaper option be better value… that’s FPL?