Fans wilfully accept or won’t even acknowledge Sir Alex Ferguson’s ongoing influence at Manchester United.

I feel like it was the same shite with Liverpool and their “boot room” in the 90s up to Brenton who kind of bought into it too. Klopp plays up to the fans but make no mistake, there is nothing left to sentimentality in his approach to recruitment - staff and playing staff, match preparation or team selection. It’s all modern and cutting edge. If the players aren’t playing flat out for him they get dropped, if they want to leave they can. None of this playing a player into form while he walks around trying to figure out if he loves the game anymore. He’s happy to sell and reinvest at the first signs of disinterest. Actual ruthless squad management to keep players on their toes. What we have here is a squad managing the managers and the board managing the squad. It’s a shitshow. Organisational failure and the biggest waste of money the sport has ever witnessed

Hard to argue with this.

You know things have gone to pot here when we’re dragging Fergie. His only mistake was picking Moyes, which we rectified in due time. He’s literally an 80 year old man, so something tells me Woodward and now Arnold have not been banging his door down over official decisions, and vice-versa. I’m 99% sure the man just wants to live the rest of his wonderful life out with Cathy by watching United, drinking wine and betting on horses.

I’m 99% sure the man that is Fergie doesn’t want that at all, it’s not in his makeup; hence why he’s recommending Ole/Phelan, calling up Ronaldo and still sitting on the board. The man is a winner and of course will want to have influence on his club.

I’m 99.9% certain if he wanted what you say, he’s step back completely from Manchester United.

I’m 99% sure the man that is Fergie doesn’t want that at all, it’s not in his makeup; hence why he’s recommending Ole/Phelan, calling up Ronaldo and still sitting on the board. The man is a winner and of course will want to have influence on his club.

I’m 99.9% certain if he wanted what you say, he’s step back completely from Manchester United.
Why should he? He’s our greatest manager ever. He lives until 100, he stays on the board until 100 imo. As for Ole, Fergie ‘recommending’ him didn’t matter - he was bound to get the job after his performance as interim manager. Ole was sacked in due time anyway.

Also, you calling his influence in bringing Ronaldo back a negative is plain wrong. Cavani is pretty much useless these days and Greenwood has been sent down. Without Ronaldo, we’d have Elanga, Sancho, Rashford, Lingard and Martial fighting it out for the front 3 positions, and we’d also be 18 goals short. Ronaldo coming back has been a positive, and we can thank Fergie for that (and people like Rio and Evra, in fairness).

Alex Ferguson only wants the best for Manchester United. I have no doubt about that.

Ferguson is an ambassador and has no official role that grants him any executive control over decisions being made. If anyone at the club asks his advise and they take it, and it turns out to be a poor decision, responsibility sits with them, not Ferguson.
Correct, the buck stops with the team appointed to manage the shareholders equity, in law and practice / real life.

If they're daft enough to take advice like that then they should accept the damage to their value.

Why should he? He’s our greatest manager ever. He lives until 100, he stays on the board until 100 imo. As for Ole, Fergie ‘recommending’ him didn’t matter - he was bound to get the job after his performance as interim manager. Ole was sacked in due time anyway.

Also, you calling his influence in bringing Ronaldo back a negative is plain wrong. Cavani is pretty much useless these days and Greenwood has been sent down. Without Ronaldo, we’d have Elanga, Sancho, Rashford, Lingard and Martial fighting it out for the front 3 positions, and we’d also be 18 goals short. Ronaldo coming back has been a positive, and we can thank Fergie for that (and people like Rio and Evra, in fairness).

Alex Ferguson only wants the best for Manchester United. I have no doubt about that.

Absolutely none of that has anything to do with what I posted, I agree with all of it.

But none of that is a guy who 99% just wants to chill with caf, drink wine and watch United :lol.

Let's start from the second point first. I think it would be a mistake to compare the EPL with the Bundesliga/Dutch league. The former is highly competitive were every advantage no matter how small does matter while the latter two are basically a one horse race were even donkeys like De Boer can win not 1 but 4 league titles. I concede that I don't follow the Spanish league enough to talk about it but I am well versed in the Serie A.

The Italian clubs tend to work with a hybrid system were they hire from within and from the outside. Take Juventus golden age as an example. Sure they had Conte and Nedved but the decisions were taken by Marotta (who had a CV as a CEO which is as long as an arm) and Paratici who was Marotta's man having worked with him at Sampdoria. Milan follow a similar trait. There's Maldini (although to compare Maldini to Fletcher is ridiculous considering that Paolo was 100 times the player Fletcher was, he had previous experience with Miami FC + the Maldinis had been involved in running Milan since the 70s and Paolo has been basically been within the structure since he was born). However they do have experience from the outside. For example their Director of Sports Federic Massara has been an assistant manager at various clubs before moving as a director first at Palermo, then at Roma and then finally at Milan, Paolo Scaroni had a similar role to what he currently cover with Vicenza while Gazidis had a wide experience in football including with Arsenal.

Secondly these clubs had a history of developing football people outside the pitch from Ancelotti to Conte right to Capello and Zidane. United had never produced a top manager from within. I follow our former players quite closely and you only need to hear the likes of Keane and the Neville brothers speak to figure out while they tanked big time as managers.

Finally these club can be incredibly cynical as well. For example Ciro Ferrara is a Juventus legend but they sacked him after just 8 months. Can you see that with United? FFS Ole threw 420m in the bin (or most of it) and won nothing and yet we kept him in his job for so long

I have nothing against hiring former players as long as they are competent and had proven themselves within a successful system. However what we've got at United is anything but that. We've got a system which is a mess and yet people keep getting promoted within it. Its like we're rewarding failure.

And that's essentially what United are doing (or trying to) with varying degrees of success.

The club doesn't get every hiring right (arguably most recently) but they're not doing anything that other top clubs aren't doing. Very few top clubs hire CEO's from other clubs, most promote from within look at Liverpool last year. Lots of top clubs hire former players without much experience to fill roles I assume with the hope they will grow into the roles. There are numerous examples of this over the years with many, many clubs.

Absolutely none of that has anything to do with what I posted, I agree with all of it.

But none of that is a guy who 99% just wants to chill with caf, drink wine and watch United :lol.
Fair enough mate, but what I’m saying is that his influence has been minimal in my view over the years. I actually think he chose to step back when the Moyes appointment went as pear shaped as it could have gone.

We were linked with so many players back then. There was Tony Green at Blackpool, Malcolm McDonald at Luton (both went to Newcastle) and later, there was Alan Hudson, who ended up at Stoke. How much of that was paper talk, I don't know but I believe that some of those players said, in later years, that United had made enquiries about them. One player I wanted us to sign was Liam Brady. We got his mate Frank Stapleton but Brady might have won us the league.

There was a lot of talk about us signing Dalglish from Celtic just after the 1977 cup win. Rumour was he was keen on the move but the Doc got sacked and he signed for the dippers, much to the disgust of the Celtic fans. Admittedly, he went on to great things with Liverpool but had the Doc stayed, he might have picked up a title or three with us.
Tony Green! I’d forgotten about him completely.

It was the lack of signings in the 69-71 era that really did for us (let’s draw a discreet veil over Ian Ure) and the total failure to replace a single one of Crerand, Foulkes and Stiles. The players we were linked to in the press were invariably attacking ones.

Things would have turned out a lot better for O’Farrell if he’d been able to put a team out with (say) Alan Ball and Colin Todd in place of out of position Alan Gowling and hopeless Steve James.

To get vaguely back on topic, how much of that was Sir Matt’s fault is open to debate. The fact remains that Edwards did start to put his hand in his pocket once the Great Man had been sidelined.

Well butt did a great job on it too and he had less experience than Fletcher

his job is well documented online, hell the chap even has to come out and clarify it in public since Ralph’s comment
It is. It’s also a role that I’d have thought he’d be as qualified to do as anyone else.

What was bizarre (and an unnecessary burden on him) was giving him the title Technical Director. His very specific job isn’t remotely what people normally associate with that role.

Edit: I see you’ve already flagged the job title nonsense in #159 :)

If you all wonder what Fletcher's job is about Garnacho had some very good things to say about him recently

“Justin [Cochrane] and Darren Fletcher are two members of the club who are always very attentive to me, supporting me in all kinds of decisions," the youngster said.

Thats one of our most talented players name checking him

And that's essentially what United are doing (or trying to) with varying degrees of success.

The club doesn't get every hiring right (arguably most recently) but they're not doing anything that other top clubs aren't doing. Very few top clubs hire CEO's from other clubs, most promote from within look at Liverpool last year. Lots of top clubs hire former players without much experience to fill roles I assume with the hope they will grow into the roles. There are numerous examples of this over the years with many, many clubs.

Are we? Arnold has no previous experience as CEO, Murtough had no previous experience as DOF, Fletcher had no previous experience as technical director, Judge had no previous experience as head of contract negotiations. We seem to be on full on the job learning.

It is. It’s also a role that I’d have thought he’d be as qualified to do as anyone else.

What was bizarre (and an unnecessary burden on him) was giving him the title Technical Director. His very specific job isn’t remotely what people normally associate with that role.

Edit: I see you’ve already flagged the job title nonsense in #159 :)
Well thank god, I was thinking i was the only sane one checking in here!

Well thank god, I was thinking i was the only sane one checking in here!
:lol:

Maybe since the recruitment part of the job involves a certain amount of salesmanship, somebody decided that Intra-Squad Transition Facilitator didn’t sound sexy enough. The most junior sales staff at my former company all seemed to have Director in their job title, despite directing the square root of f-all. It’s not that they all were bothered about their titles (though some certainly were :wenger:), but customers seemed to expect it.

I don't believe any new manager will be given carte blanche to manage all aspects of the role their way; more than likely it will come with stipulations that will have already been made aware to them before they are offered the role.

What are those stipulations?

It's obvious that the next Manager's role will be that of a "Head Coach", mainly responsible for coaching and managing the first team, implementing a defined style of play, and deciding on tactics and selections for match day, there's also players recruitment where the head coach, supported by a recruitment department that will help in finding the right type of players, the head coach is also expected to provide input and have a say in that aspect too.

There is also the expectation of integrating academy players into the first team.

so, beside what I mentioned above, which are general in nature, what other stipulations will the incoming new manager be made aware of?

And now Ferguson has made a major push to appoint Ten Hag as manager. SAF's reign of terror continues.

Tony Green! I’d forgotten about him completely.

It was the lack of signings in the 69-71 era that really did for us (let’s draw a discreet veil over Ian Ure) and the total failure to replace a single one of Crerand, Foulkes and Stiles. The players we were linked to in the press were invariably attacking ones.

Things would have turned out a lot better for O’Farrell if he’d been able to put a team out with (say) Alan Ball and Colin Todd in place of out of position Alan Gowling and hopeless Steve James.

To get vaguely back on topic, how much of that was Sir Matt’s fault is open to debate. The fact remains that Edwards did start to put his hand in his pocket once the Great Man had been sidelined.

Steve James. Nice bloke but way out of his depth at United. Sir Matt must shoulder some of the blame but he did spend 10 years after Munich building two title winning sides and the European Cup winners. When that was accomplished, he retired but the youth set-up, once our pride and joy, was not producing much. We had to buy, as the tenures of O'Farrell and Docherty showed. Who came through and made any impact? Sammy McIlroy (great debut) is the only one that springs to mind. It wasn't until Fergie arrived that we really invested in the youth again. Big Ron promoted Norman Whiteside but Ron preferred to buy players. I agree with your point about 1969-71. I saw most home games back then and quite a few aways and you could see the team was being passed by the likes of City, Liverpool, Everton, Derby, and Chelsea. 26 years we waited as Liverpool won the lot, Forest won the league and 2 European Cups, and even Villa got one of each. Painful times.

Steve James. Nice bloke but way out of his depth at United. Sir Matt must shoulder some of the blame but he did spend 10 years after Munich building two title winning sides and the European Cup winners. When that was accomplished, he retired but the youth set-up, once our pride and joy, was not producing much. We had to buy, as the tenures of O'Farrell and Docherty showed. Who came through and made any impact? Sammy McIlroy (great debut) is the only one that springs to mind. It wasn't until Fergie arrived that we really invested in the youth again. Big Ron promoted Norman Whiteside but Ron preferred to buy players. I agree with your point about 1969-71. I saw most home games back then and quite a few aways and you could see the team was being passed by the likes of City, Liverpool, Everton, Derby, and Chelsea. 26 years we waited as Liverpool won the lot, Forest won the league and 2 European Cups, and even Villa got one of each. Painful times.
Brian Greenhoff was a good player, though maybe he’d have had a more notable career it’d he’d stayed in midfield. But yes there’s no doubt the youth setup declined in Sir Matt’s final years and thereafter.

Don’t forget how close we came to winning the league in 1980…

i don’t think that’s very fair of you to bring up. i’m still suffering from pstd as a result of it all. it was only when sir alec was finally retiring did i find out he was scottish after reading a “this is your life” type piece in one of the superior london based papers that mentioned he was born in the darklands.

i can vividly remember throwing up for three straight days afterwards. all the trophies, all the successes, the good times. how could i have celebrated them? i told myself it was ok. i told myself how was i to know? but i was lying to myself. there were signs he was scottish all along.

his knock off market watch, always slow and making him assume there was more time left in the game than there actually was. him constantly chewing gum in an effort to stay warm because his electric meter had run dry. him falling out with people over a horse. god, i look back now and it was so obvious.

i always laugh when scousers bring up the fact they’ll get to 21 titles before us. as far as i’m concerned 13 of ours didn’t even count. of course they’ll get there first. if you’re interested in joining, a few of us are leading a renewed push for scottish independence. not through political channels but by chiselling away beneath hadrian’s wall in a hope to dislodge scotland from the rest of blighty, sending it drifting off into the middle of the atlantic to join the rest of the floating trash island there. we’re just working out how we can keep edinburgh and the odd distillery as part of the decoupling.

:lol:

Inconsistency again. Got turned over at Ipswich then drew with Everton and Brighton. Lost at Forest and the last game at Elland Road. But, as I recall, Liverpool's goal difference was massive. Didn't Louis Edwards die that season?

I don't suppose you went to Norwich for that League Cup match did you? That was a miserable trip home.

Last edited:
I don’t think I’ve seen a picture or any footage of Ralf speaking to Phelan. Anyone prove me wrong? Even at games Phelan stands and is no where near the touch line or bench.

Very original and thoughtful op.
So SAF couldn’t stop the twins who he liked, or Evans or Smalling leaving the club, neither could he stop Moyes and Co handing Rooney a 6-year contract, etc. However DdG and McT playing for us somehow must be because of him. Great logic.

Are we? Arnold has no previous experience as CEO, Murtough had no previous experience as DOF, Fletcher had no previous experience as technical director, Judge had no previous experience as head of contract negotiations. We seem to be on full on the job learning.

Ok lets try this again. You say PL teams can't be compared to teams in certain other leagues I don't agree but ok how about some top PL teams then. Can you name the current CEO and DOF at Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal?

Liverpool

CEO Billy Hogan promoted from within no previous experience as a CEO at another club.

DOF Michael Edwards promoted from within no previous experience as a DOF at another club.

Chelsea

CEO Guy Laurence hired with no previous experience as a CEO of another football club.

DOF Marina Granovskaia hired from within with no previous experience as a DOF.

Arsenal

CEO Vinai Venkatesham hired from within with no previous experience as a DOF at another club.

DOF Richard Garlick hired from WBA, does have experience as a DOF.

So at those 3 clubs only one out of the 6 had previous experience in their current role with 4 of them promoted from another role within the club. So what exactly are United doing that other top English clubs aren't?

Brian Greenhoff was a good player, though maybe he’d have had a more notable career it’d he’d stayed in midfield. But yes there’s no doubt the youth setup declined in Sir Matt’s d the final years and thereafter.

There were lots. Mike Duxbury, Arther Albiston, Our Captain Martin Buckan. Louis Macari. At one time England had the entire United forward like with Pancho as CF, and Coppel and Hill as the two wingers.

Ok lets try this again. You say PL teams can't be compared to teams in certain other leagues I don't agree but ok how about some top PL teams then. Can you name the current CEO and DOF at Liverpool, Chelsea or Arsenal?

Liverpool

CEO Billy Hogan promoted from within no previous experience as a CEO at another club.

DOF Michael Edwards promoted from within no previous experience as a DOF at another club.

Chelsea

CEO Guy Laurence hired with no previous experience as a CEO of another football club.

DOF Marina Granovskaia hired from within with no previous experience as a DOF.

Arsenal

CEO Vinai Venkatesham hired from within with no previous experience as a DOF at another club.

DOF Richard Garlick hired from WBA, does have experience as a DOF.

So at those 3 clubs only one out of the 6 had previous experience in their current role with 4 of them promoted from another role within the club. So what exactly are United doing that other top English clubs aren't?

Micheal Edwards was head of performance analyst at Portmouth (nearly 6 years) and Spurs (2 years) before moving to Liverpool. He started as Director of technical performance there first as technical director and then as Sporting director.

Chelsea has a different system to ours and more akin to Milan during the Berlusconi time (first years). The owner had been involved in football from day 1 putting his own money on the line, they are extremely active in recruitment (not just on the pitch but off it) and they tend to have zero tolerance towards failure. Those working in Chelsea know that if they badly perform then they are out so everyone on their toes. I don't know why you're mentioning Arsenal though. They haven't won a league title since before our time.

Our system is different and quite ironically is completely opposite to Chelsea's. Despite not working for 9 whole years, people within it keeps getting promoting, sometimes to the ridiculous. Take Fletcher as an example. He was hired as U16 coach in October 2021, by January he became first team coach only to get another promotion in early March. Now he's on the bench in a weird situation as Rangnick himself can't figure out Fletcher's entire role with United.

Here is another guess: Fletcher is apprenticed to Rangnick and learning how to become a Director of Football, and therefore he has to show up anywhere Rangnick is going to. The so-called consultancy is that Fletcher could ask his teacher questions when needed.

I actually could not come up any rational guess on Phelan's role though. He is a coach who is not participating or planning the training sessions. What kind of coach this could be or what exactly he is coaching ?

There were lots. Mike Duxbury, Arther Albiston, Our Captain Martin Buckan. Louis Macari. At one time England had the entire United forward like with Pancho as CF, and Coppel and Hill as the two wingers.
All good to great, but the original point was about the youth setup. Of the players you mention only Duxbury and Albiston came up through there; the rest were signings.

I always thought it was daft persisting with Duxbury at centre back when it was obvious he was more comfortable as a full back.

Micheal Edwards was head of performance analyst at Portmouth (nearly 6 years) and Spurs (2 years) before moving to Liverpool. He started as Director of technical performance there first as technical director and then as Sporting director.

Chelsea has a different system to ours and more akin to Milan during the Berlusconi time (first years). The owner had been involved in football from day 1 putting his own money on the line, they are extremely active in recruitment (not just on the pitch but off it) and they tend to have zero tolerance towards failure. Those working in Chelsea know that if they badly perform then they are out so everyone on their toes. I don't know why you're mentioning Arsenal though. They haven't won a league title since before our time.

Our system is different and quite ironically is completely opposite to Chelsea's. Despite not working for 9 whole years, people within it keeps getting promoting, sometimes to the ridiculous. Take Fletcher as an example. He was hired as U16 coach in October 2021, by January he became first team coach only to get another promotion in early March. Now he's on the bench in a weird situation as Rangnick himself can't figure out Fletcher's entire role with United.

Yeah and Murtagh was head of performance at Everton before moving to United to become DOF.

So we cant compare United to clubs in other leagues and they can't even be compared to others clubs in the same league as they have a different 'system' :lol: .

Do you need a hand moving those goalposts mate?

All good to great, but the original point was about the youth setup. Of the players you mention only Duxbury and Albiston came up through there; the rest were signings.

I always thought it was daft persisting with Duxbury at centre back when it was obvious he was more comfortable as a full back.

I can't remember Duxbury playing as CB regularly. I always remember him as a full back.

Coming back to the immediate topic I feel that keeping former players like Fletcher is not good for the club going forward. They need to reinvent and that's by doing it in a different way to what SAF did decades ago.
Too many ex players having too much say is not good.
If we get ETH then it's a good decision by the owners.

Hear me out before diving in.

There are a mixture of staff and players currently at Manchester United that are often questioned by fans as to why they are at the club, and why their roles are seemingly untouchable.
I am going to talk about two players, and two members of staff.
It is my opinion that the 4 people I am going to mention, continue to be at the club because of the influence that Sir Alex Ferguson still has (despite his role being a non-executive member of the board).

Darren Fletcher
It is very telling that Ralf Rangnick doesn’t even know what Fletcher’s role is at Man Utd. Just look at what Ralf said back in February of this year:
“What is his role in with regard to the club? I don't really know, to be honest.”

According to Rio Ferdinand:
“Darren Fletcher was Sir Alex Ferguson’s pet,” Ferdinand said on BT Sport. “He was around the house for Sunday lunch. I never saw it, but that’s the rumours. Fletch never got a bollocking ever."

How long will Fletcher remain at the club?
In my opinion, as long as Sir Alex remains on the board of Directors, then Darren Fletcher will always have a role at the club.

Mike Phelan
Phelan was Sir Alex’s assistant between 2008 and 2013. He was also a first team coach during Solskjær’s tenure, and remained at the club even after Solskjær’s departure. Phelan is currently the assistant manager to Ralf.

How long will Phelan remain at the club?
In my opinion, as long as Sir Alex remains on the board of Directors, then Phelan will always have a role at the club.

Scott McTominay
Sir Alex convinced McTominay to choose Scotland over England at International level.
Speaking to The Herald newspaper in May 2018, McTominay said:
"After the memorial service for the Munich Disaster earlier this year he (Sir Alex Ferguson) pulled me aside and told me: 'Make sure you do play for Scotland.' ”
McTominay would go on to choose to play for Scotland over England.

That kind of loyalty would have been greatly appreciated by Sir Alex. Is it any wonder why McTominay continues to be a first team regular despite his often poor performances?
If we are to challenge for trophies again anytime soon, then Scott McTominay cannot be a regular starter in Manchester United’s midfield. He simply isn’t good enough.

How long will Scott McTominay remain at the club?
In my opinion, as long as Sir Alex remains on the board of Directors, then Scott McTominay will always be a first team regular in Utd’s midfield.

David De Gea
Signed by Sir Alex because of a fear of missing out on another ‘Petr Cech’.
Speaking shortly after De Gea’s arrival to the club, Sir Alex said in July 2011:
“I went to see Petr Cech when he was at Rennes. He was 19 at the time and I said to myself, ‘yeah, he’s too young’. But Chelsea bought him not long afterwards for £7 million or something and he’s never been out of the team.”

When looking at the four main facets of goalkeeping (shot-stopping, distribution, collecting crosses/command of area, organising defence), it is very easy to see that De Gea only excels at shot-stopping.
If we are to challenge for trophies again anytime soon, then we seriously need to identify a goalkeeper who excels at more than just shot-stopping.

How long will De Gea remain at the club?
In my opinion, as long as Sir Alex remains on the board of Directors, then David De Gea will always be a first team regular for Utd.

Accepting the influence that Sir Alex continues to have at Manchester United
From my own point of view Sir Alex has a lot of credit in the bank, and I mean a lot of credit. Some would even argue he has an unlimited amount of credit.
What Sir Alex Ferguson did for Manchester United in terms of the fantastic teams he built time and time again, and the success he brought; means that I accept his influence that he continues to have – despite (in my opinion) that influence being detrimental to the direction that we the fans want the club to go in, i.e. challenging for and winning trophies.

What are your thoughts on the influence that our greatest ever manager continues to have at the club?
How do you explain Pogba and dealing with the virus? personally pretty sure Sir Alex wouldn’t have sanctioned his return, nor our dealings with the fat virus. If Sir Alex had influence he’d certainly not have put up with the constant shite spewed by the virus in the eve of massive games.

Yeah and Murtagh was head of performance at Everton before moving to United to become DOF.

So we cant compare United to clubs in other leagues and they can't even be compared to others clubs in the same league as they have a different 'system' :lol: .

Do you need a hand moving those goalposts mate?

Do you think that United improved since Murtough joined the club? If not then what justify his promotion (and that of Judge, Fletcher and the rest?)?

Chelsea are completely different to us, its like basically like night and day. Roman is very involved at the club while our owners are not. Chelsea are very inpatient with everyone really which means that everyone is on his toes. We take ages to get rid of players, managers and coaches.

Do you think that United improved since Murtough joined the club? If not then what justify his promotion (and that of Judge, Fletcher and the rest?)?

Chelsea are completely different to us, its like basically like night and day. Roman is very involved at the club while our owners are not. Chelsea are very inpatient with everyone really which means that everyone is on his toes. We take ages to get rid of players, managers and coaches.
What improvements would you have expected to see from Man Utd that Murtough could have influenced prior to his promotion?

I can't remember Duxbury playing as CB regularly. I always remember him as a full back.

Coming back to the immediate topic I feel that keeping former players like Fletcher is not good for the club going forward. They need to reinvent and that's by doing it in a different way to what SAF did decades ago.
Too many ex players having too much say is not good.
If we get ETH then it's a good decision by the owners.
Indeed. Leeds in the 80s appointed three ex-Revie players in succession as managers, in the hope that some of the Great Man’s magic might have rubbed off onto at least one of them.

People seem to choose to ignore the fact that Fletcher has spent a good bit of the last few years at other clubs. Just because it’s “only” been West Brom and Stoke doesn’t mean he won’t have had his eyes opened to stuff being done in different ways to United. I’d be much more confident of him having an objective view of things than the likes of Neville and Scholes.

The man can walk on water and back in the day if a player could not cut it he was gone.

Indeed. Leeds in the 80s appointed three ex-Revie players in succession as managers, in the hope that some of the Great Man’s magic might have rubbed off onto at least one of them.

People seem to choose to ignore the fact that Fletcher has spent a good bit of the last few years at other clubs. Just because it’s “only” been West Brom and Stoke doesn’t mean he won’t have had his eyes opened to stuff being done in different ways to United. I’d be much more confident of him having an objective view of things than the likes of Neville and Scholes.

Neither do I think that Neville and Scholes have an objective view either. And West Brom and Stoke are not the examples that I want United to follow.

Ok stay with me here.

If SAF is as heavily involved as there seems to be suggestions in some corners then he is simply sabotaging things for his own legacy.

Sounds ridiculous right? And of course it is.

However if a serial winner, a man who employed various strategies, on and off the pitch (mind games) to gain an advantage and be so successful, is heavily involved then there is no other explanation for how rubbish we have been since his retirement. Or is there?

His face on match days when we are playing dire and drawing or losing doesn't suggest he is happy with the state of things. No way of he was heavily involved would we be where we are. If anything it appears he isn't involved.

As for Moyes.nnues he said stick by him. However what else was he going to say? Although we know now that Moyes was what, 7th choice or something?

Neither do I think that Neville and Scholes have an objective view either. And West Brom and Stoke are not the examples that I want United to follow.
Fair enough. I certain learned as much from the crap places I worked as I did from the good ones!

i don’t think that’s very fair of you to bring up. i’m still suffering from pstd as a result of it all. it was only when sir alec was finally retiring did i find out he was scottish after reading a “this is your life” type piece in one of the superior london based papers that mentioned he was born in the darklands.

i can vividly remember throwing up for three straight days afterwards. all the trophies, all the successes, the good times. how could i have celebrated them? i told myself it was ok. i told myself how was i to know? but i was lying to myself. there were signs he was scottish all along.

his knock off market watch, always slow and making him assume there was more time left in the game than there actually was. him constantly chewing gum in an effort to stay warm because his electric meter had run dry. him falling out with people over a horse. god, i look back now and it was so obvious.

i always laugh when scousers bring up the fact they’ll get to 21 titles before us. as far as i’m concerned 13 of ours didn’t even count. of course they’ll get there first. if you’re interested in joining, a few of us are leading a renewed push for scottish independence. not through political channels but by chiselling away beneath hadrian’s wall in a hope to dislodge scotland from the rest of blighty, sending it drifting off into the middle of the atlantic to join the rest of the floating trash island there. we’re just working out how we can keep edinburgh and the odd distillery as part of the decoupling.
This Is the best post I’ve read in awhile :lol: . Need more legends like you on this forum.

Murtagh has barely been here a year which isn't a long time for a DOF to have much of an effect. The transfer strategy for last summer will have already been in place by the time he was hired last March.

And I'm not necessarily justifying any appointment that United have made or saying they were good hires, I'm simply highlighting that the club's hiring choices are no different to most clubs.

Waffle.