Fans wilfully accept or won’t even acknowledge Sir Alex Ferguson’s ongoing influence at Manchester United.

Karens are ten a penny. Just search YouTube.

Maybe but what about Alan Keegan the stadium announcer appointed by SAF in the late 90's yet still at the club.

How long will Alan be at the club?

Can the club be able move forward with Alan still in place or do we need a modern stadium announcer?

You really think Ferguson was forcing a stubborn and egotistical man like Mourinho to play Scott McTominay against his will? At any point in your post did you not stop to think how mental all of this sounds?

Maybe but what about Alan Keegan the stadium announcer appointed by SAF in the late 90's yet still at the club.

Can the club be able move forward with Alan still in place or do we need a modern stadium announcer?
We should knock him down and build a new improved Alan Keegan a little to the left of the old one!

Scott McTominay playing is indicative of how poor our recruitment has been.

I think this myth with De Gea been selected can easily be debunked as solskjaer, a manager who would be most susceptible to Sir Alex's influence was selecting Henderson to challenge him.

Not to mention the seasons in between times when he was our poty and has been in good form this season.

I think you're clutching at straws with this one, honestly I don't think Ferguson has much influence these days and is more a figure head than anything.

he has far too much influence for my money. scott mctommy only gets as much game time as he does because fergie demands at least one scottish person in the team at any one time. every wondered why fred is called fred and not some exotic brazilian name?
it’s because it sounds scottish. he’s forced to wear a ginger wing and tartan cap whenever mctommy is out of the starting 11 and affect a scottish accent to please sir alec and his requirement.

there was a thread the other day questioning the condition and general athleticism of players after they join us. that’s because fergie demands all team dinners are scottish. you try running around after a plateful of deep fried mars bars. and why do you think shaw was putting out feelers about signing a new deal?
:lol: :lol:

Read the thread and choked on my coffee. This is evidence we've lost the plot as fans.

United are now a mid-table side and it has nothing to do with former managers or even the current one. Just a toxic board and painfully disorganised management of the club from the top.

Really? He was certainly still interfering when O’Farrell was manager, but as I understand it that was mainly to do with rounds of golf with the players, listening to their gripes about begin getting dropped and generally undermining Frank. I thought his control of transfers had ceased once O’Farrell had arrived, and certainly didn’t continue under The Doc. Didn’t the latter make it clear that he’d only take on the job if Sir Matt’s influence in the background was completely removed?

I don't remember anything about Sir Matt under The Doc but for O'Farrel for sure. For sure SAF, he had an influence and remember what happened when Ole dropped Ronaldo? Maybe LVG was the only one who did not care much about SAF. As an ex manager and on the Board he should not be commenting on anything at all. Neither should he be giving unsolicited advice.

Really? He was certainly still interfering when O’Farrell was manager, but as I understand it that was mainly to do with rounds of golf with the players, listening to their gripes about begin getting dropped and generally undermining Frank. I thought his control of transfers had ceased once O’Farrell had arrived, and certainly didn’t continue under The Doc. Didn’t the latter make it clear that he’d only take on the job if Sir Matt’s influence in the background was completely removed?

The Doc said that Matt blocked a move for Shilton because he wouldn't pay the asking price/wages. This is from a November 2013 article:
Of his stint at Old Trafford, he says: "Managing United is different from managing any other club because of all the politics: Henry Kissinger wouldn't have lasted 24 hours at Old Trafford. When I tried to sign Peter Shilton from Stoke, Sir Matt Busby said 'we're not paying £200,000 for any player'. Then, when I told him that Stoke were paying him £200 per week, he said that we wouldn't be paying anyone that much. Anyone I wanted to sign had to be Sir Matt's choice as well."

I had heard that many years before when the Doc was speaking on local radio before the derby match when Big Ron was in charge.

With a name like Keegan, he shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Scouse bastard.

I don't remember anything about Sir Matt under The Doc but for O'Farrel for sure. For sure SAF, he had an influence and remember what happened when Ole dropped Ronaldo? Maybe LVG was the only one who did not care much about SAF. As an ex manager and on the Board he should not be commenting on anything at all. Neither should he be giving unsolicited advice.

Funny that. The Doc gave an interview to Frank McGee (much to the disgust of David Meek) in early 1973. He was asked about Matt's presence and, diplomatically, the Doc answered that he'd be a fool not to avail himself of the wealth of experience Sir Matt had to offer. His feet were hardly under the manager's table at that time and we were in a relegation dogfight. Not long after, Bobby retired, Denis Law was shown the door, and Doc was ringing the changes. If Matt couldn't save the King, then maybe his influence had waned considerably, but the Doc was supremely popular with the fans.

Well he is on the board, though I imagine his role is largely ceremonial. So he’s perfectly entitled to give whatever advice he wants. It’s entirely a matter for the executive board members as to whether they heed his advice or not.

Making comments in public concerning the day to day management of the team is indeed unhelpful, and he shouldn’t be doing that.

Funny that. The Doc gave an interview to Frank McGee (much to the disgust of David Meek) in early 1973. He was asked about Matt's presence and, diplomatically, the Doc answered that he'd be a fool not to avail himself of the wealth of experience Sir Matt had to offer. His feet were hardly under the manager's table at that time and we were in a relegation dogfight. Not long after, Bobby retired, Denis Law was shown the door, and Doc was ringing the changes. If Matt couldn't save the King, then maybe his influence had waned considerably, but the Doc was supremely popular with the fans.
Yes I remember that interview. He was indeed diplomatic, but the view among fans was that he wasn’t going to let Sir Matt interfere in hiring and firings.

Law’s departure was pretty brutal and the manner of it did upset people.

SAF doesn't own the club. Who the glazers decide to listen to, or whom they appoint, is entirely their responsibility.

One of the stands is called the Sir Alex Ferguson stand. How can these players be expected to play when one of the stands is called that?

Jaysus, I only wish Fergie had any influence on what the club or team are doing right now.

The Fletcher and Phelan ones makes a bit of sense in that it's easy to see the connection that is being made. If we were looking to appoint the best in class to a role, they undoubtedly would not form part of that equation in terms of recent success or simply CV in Fletcher's case.

So then you start to ask why they were appointed and it's a fairly easy idea to bring up Ferguson. However, I think you have to bring a bit more nuance to this point as it's clear that it was Ole's idea to bring in Phelan, so you then have to argue that Sir Alex had significant weight in his appointment and then by extension in Phelan's appointment.

However, this is not clear because Ole was appointed on the back of what was supposed to be a short term gig, so you could say that was Woodward's reactionary decision making. Appointing Ole as interim may be a vestige of a fairly sentimental approach, to be sure, but it isn't directly Ferguson's fault.

On the players, namely McTominay and DeGea, I simply do not see how it makes any sense to say that a manager that left a decade ago is responsible for their inclusion in a first team. We have had various managers that continually land on these players. That is a reflection of the merits of the squad and decision making, I think it's an extraordinarily tenuous link to Sir Alex. Baffling actually. It seems like you kind of had an idea and then consumed a few too many whiskeys as it developed.

The Doc said that Matt blocked a move for Shilton because he wouldn't pay the asking price/wages. This is from a November 2013 article:
Of his stint at Old Trafford, he says: "Managing United is different from managing any other club because of all the politics: Henry Kissinger wouldn't have lasted 24 hours at Old Trafford. When I tried to sign Peter Shilton from Stoke, Sir Matt Busby said 'we're not paying £200,000 for any player'. Then, when I told him that Stoke were paying him £200 per week, he said that we wouldn't be paying anyone that much. Anyone I wanted to sign had to be Sir Matt's choice as well."

I had heard that many years before when the Doc was speaking on local radio before the derby match when Big Ron was in charge.
Interesting! The Doc did have previous for making stuff up though.

I’m sure O’Farrell had already spent over £200k on Storey-Moore, at a time when there was no question that he was interfering.

We should knock him down and build a new improved Alan Keegan a little to the left of the old one!

No way I've been to some of these fancy new purpose built stadium announcers and they're soulless.

He couldn’t even influence dipshit Davy Moyes to keep the coaching staff. Things might have been different today.

People on Redcafe:
This club is run by businessmen clowns who have no idea about football. We need proper football people at the top levels running things and shaping the clubs plans.

Also people on Redcafe:
Sir Alex Ferguson still has way too much influence at the club. We need to get rid of clowns like Fletcher and Phelan and their United DNA bollox.

Probably mostly the same people.

Not to mention he sued John Magnier inevitably paving the way for the Glazers to destroy the club…..:wenger:

And we willfully accept or won't acknowledge Nikola Tesla's ongoing influence in our daily lives. This post won't exist without him.

I hope Ferguson wasn’t responsible for the latest Liam Neeson flick.

What if I accept SAF's influence unwillingly? Or only won't acknowledge it on Thursdays? I think we need to be told.

There's something interesting about the headline :lol: The OP is sort of telling us that whatever opinion we might have.. or if we have one in favor of Fergie, we're wrong.

he has far too much influence for my money. scott mctommy only gets as much game time as he does because fergie demands at least one scottish person in the team at any one time. every wondered why fred is called fred and not some exotic brazilian name?
it’s because it sounds scottish. he’s forced to wear a ginger wing and tartan cap whenever mctommy is out of the starting 11 and affect a scottish accent to please sir alec and his requirement.

there was a thread the other day questioning the condition and general athleticism of players after they join us. that’s because fergie demands all team dinners are scottish. you try running around after a plateful of deep fried mars bars. and why do you think shaw was putting out feelers about signing a new deal?

That hit the moment squarely between the eyes.

Ferguson is an ambassador and has no official role that grants him any executive control over decisions being made. If anyone at the club asks his advise and they take it, and it turns out to be a poor decision, responsibility sits with them, not Ferguson.

I've heard he demands the Flower of Scotland to be sung by Phil Jones and Tom Heaton whenever he visits Carrington. Why those two, no one knows. Must be a comforting thing.

It clearly eats you up that Utds 2 best managers were Scottish. So much so that you feel the need to rip the hole out of it. You got a few giggles from your mates so job well done.

i don’t think that’s very fair of you to bring up. i’m still suffering from pstd as a result of it all. it was only when sir alec was finally retiring did i find out he was scottish after reading a “this is your life” type piece in one of the superior london based papers that mentioned he was born in the darklands.

i can vividly remember throwing up for three straight days afterwards. all the trophies, all the successes, the good times. how could i have celebrated them? i told myself it was ok. i told myself how was i to know? but i was lying to myself. there were signs he was scottish all along.

his knock off market watch, always slow and making him assume there was more time left in the game than there actually was. him constantly chewing gum in an effort to stay warm because his electric meter had run dry. him falling out with people over a horse. god, i look back now and it was so obvious.

i always laugh when scousers bring up the fact they’ll get to 21 titles before us. as far as i’m concerned 13 of ours didn’t even count. of course they’ll get there first. if you’re interested in joining, a few of us are leading a renewed push for scottish independence. not through political channels but by chiselling away beneath hadrian’s wall in a hope to dislodge scotland from the rest of blighty, sending it drifting off into the middle of the atlantic to join the rest of the floating trash island there. we’re just working out how we can keep edinburgh and the odd distillery as part of the decoupling.

I've heard he demands the Flower of Scotland to be sung by Phil Jones and Tom Heaton whenever he visits Carrington. Why those two, no one knows. Must be a comforting thing.

they look the most cholesterolly out of our players. he probably feels they’re best equipped to sing it as a result.

Fact is that Fletcher is well respected at the club and we're try to have a more Bayern Munich like mixture of former players and finance guys.

He'd been working for a role since his illness.