Facundo Pellistri (Out) | signed for Panathanikos

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame he hasn't made it here but I think the most damning verdict is after 3 loan spells in La Liga nobody from there has apparently come in for him, not even former clubs Alaves or Granada. At the small fee he's gone for it surely wouldn't have been the biggest gamble but no. Hope he manages to turn things round though.

It's a shame he hasn't made it here but I think the most damning verdict is after 3 loan spells in La Liga nobody from there has apparently come in for him, not even former clubs Alaves or Granada. At the small fee he's gone for it surely wouldn't have been the biggest gamble but no. Hope he manages to turn things round though.
But he’s got international caps! The true sign of quality, because international football is the proper test.

He’s 23 later this year and has scored four first team goals in over 100 first team appearances. I’d say £5 million is pretty acceptable.

Good luck to him, hes gone somewhere where he has a chance to be successful. When you watch him he doesnt look bad, hes smooth running the ball but he just doesnt have any edge for an attacking player. The vision and the shot are below average for player in his position.

Love how people are saying its a fair price.....tell me who we could sign for that price.....anywhere outside of the championship even. Im happy to mvoe on players not needed, the price isnt a big deal, but come on....fair price in what market? This is a young and talented INTERNATIONAL player after all

Can you tell me an attacking player who has a goal or assist every 8.4 x he plays 90 mins? If you can find one with a record that bad, I suspect we could buy him for £6 million. If you cant find one that bad... Chong had a better record than that and went to Luton for £4 million

If he's half as good as some fans appear to think - that 40% sell on clause will come in nicely..

The previous page. Either way, it’s hard to care too much, people want a clear out and then moan when it starts happening.

If a player isn’t good enough quality for a top five league (or relegated PL team), you’re always going to struggle to get a good fee. Had he shown he could be a starter in La Liga or the Prem, it would be a different story.
You got no arguments on that from me, buddy. My view has been that Eriksen, Lindelof, Mejbri, Pellestri and one or two more should all go in a 5m-10m/player fire sale before the end of the window. I would rather sell them to get rid of their wages and raise some cash, rather than them sticking around and getting paid for 50 mins we'd use them for next season.

If he's half as good as some fans appear to think - that 40% sell on clause will come in nicely..
That's my take really. We should wind up with 10M or more or he isn't worth it for the Greeks to begin with. Different from his loans and with us, we know his new manager will give him the support and confidence to step up.

Personally, I think he has regressed in his more promising attributes (subdued), not developed what he needed to, while growing in the understated ones for a winger. Part the shit loans and part what has been required of him by club and country (functional tactically disciplined wide option).

At this fee and wages, I wouldn't think twice about keeping him as a dependable (quality and attitude) backup/rotation player with room to improve but he won't be a starter and we are stuck with Antony, so no place for him.

Good luck to him.

That's my take really. We should wind up with 10M or more or he isn't worth it for the Greeks to begin with. Different from his loans and with us, we know his new manager will give him the support and confidence to step up.

Personally, I think he has regressed in his more promising attributes (subdued), not developed what he needed to, while growing in the understated ones for a winger. Part the shit loans and part what has been required of him by club and country (functional tactically disciplined wide option).

At this fee and wages, I wouldn't think twice about keeping him as a dependable (quality and attitude) backup/rotation player with room to improve but he won't be a starter and we are stuck with Antony, so no place for him.

Good luck to him.
I don't understand people wanting to keep players just because they're on cheap wages. We don't have a squad flooded with talent. My view is as soon as we determine that a player isn't good enough we should sell him.

If it's because of numbers I rather give those minutes to academy players who may actually end up being good enough.

I don't understand people wanting to keep players just because they're on cheap wages. We don't have a squad flooded with talent. My view is as soon as we determine that a player isn't good enough we should sell him.

If it's because of numbers I rather give those minutes to academy players who may actually end up being good enough.
This is not meant to be defensive toward Pellistri specifically or anything, but in general terms, if we’re selling young players the moment we decide they’re not good enough, we run a big risk of 1) selling too prematurely and someone else will get the benefit of getting good players for peanuts, and 2) new young talents refusing to join us since we’re too trigger-happy.

The approach to youth players is primarily based on patience, not every player will turn out to be Mainoo right away and that is fine. Since they’re on cheap wages, we can afford to take a long time to decide if they’re good enough through first-team involvements and/or loans. So far, I think we have been alright when it comes to timing the release of younger players who would not cut it (some glaring exceptions aside, like Brandon Williams). Letting Pellistri, Hannibal, Fish, etc go this summer seems the right timing.

This is not meant to be defensive toward Pellistri specifically or anything, but in general terms, if we’re selling young players the moment we decide they’re not good enough, we run a big risk of 1) selling too prematurely and someone else will get the benefit of getting good players for peanuts, and 2) new young talents refusing to join us since we’re too trigger-happy.

The approach to youth players is primarily based on patience, not every player will turn out to be Mainoo right away and that is fine. Since they’re on cheap wages, we can afford to take a long time to decide if they’re good enough through first-team involvements and/or loans. So far, I think we have been alright when it comes to timing the release of younger players who would not cut it (some glaring exceptions aside, like Brandon Williams). Letting Pellistri, Hannibal, Fish, etc go this summer seems the right timing.

The moment we decide they're not good enough doesn't mean selling them prematurely. I don't mean sell the youngsters after a couple of performances, but I think we can agree that there are several players that we know won't make it here, yet we keep them in the squad for years. I think it was clear with Pellistri after he returned from Granada that he wasn't good enough. Yet we kept him another season, where he barely played, and then decided to loan him again to Alaves.

Did we really need to loan him a second time to determine he wasn't good enough? I know there are some late bloomers, but with the vast majority of great players, you can see it since his teen years. Players like Garnacho and Mainoo are the real gems that we need to keep and give playing time to. On a lower level, there are also players like Amad who may not have the potential to be world class, but you can see he has something in there.

I think a successful team needs balance not too trigger happy as you say but way more demanding that what we are currently doing. When was the last time we regretted selling someone? I can't remember a single player we've sold that I regret.

Now, regarding young talents refusing to join us, well, then so be it. If they don't rate themselves as good enough to make an impact, then why should we? The best ones will still fight for their chance, and those are the ones we should be keen on.

The moment we decide they're not good enough doesn't mean selling them prematurely. I don't mean sell the youngsters after a couple of performances, but I think we can agree that there are several players that we know won't make it here, yet we keep them in the squad for years. I think it was clear with Pellistri after he returned from Granada that he wasn't good enough. Yet we kept him another season, where he barely played, and then decided to loan him again to Alaves.

Did we really need to loan him a second time to determine he wasn't good enough? I know there are some late bloomers, but with the vast majority of great players, you can see it since his teen years. Players like Garnacho and Mainoo are the real gems that we need to keep and give playing time to. On a lower level, there are also players like Amad who may not have the potential to be world class, but you can see he has something in there.

I think a successful team needs balance not too trigger happy as you say but way more demanding that what we are currently doing. When was the last time we regretted selling someone? I can't remember a single player we've sold that I regret.

Now, regarding young talents refusing to join us, well, then so be it. If they don't rate themselves as good enough to make an impact, then why should we? The best ones will still fight for their chance, and those are the ones we should be keen on.
Not sure what else to say, I’m not disagreeing with you on principle or anything, we’re just commenting on squad management events that someone else (or a bunch of them) has made over the years. I’m not even defending any of the decisions either because what’s the point. I’m just stating that optionality with youth players are worth something, and everyone will have their own view about what each young player’s optionality is worth. The ability to cover in an injury crisis + the potential to become much better player vs. the sale proceeds by selling right now (which is dependent on interest from other clubs). That's the calculus that management makes all the time, it's not just as simple as deciding to sell, no matter how obvious the decision is, at the time and especially in hindsight.

I didn't say that. My basic premise was (and is) that he has the right attitude, room to grow and, while not starting material, could be a functional backup/rotation player that, bar one time, doesn't put a foot wrong when called upon. You don't get anything like that for 6M in whatever currency.

I would sooner ship out Sancho's attitude and wages. With Antony it's more a case of being stuck with an overpriced and completely subpar signing that will fulfil that role and block academy minutes for years to come.

So I'm saying there's no room or need for him but, had we never signed those two (both signed after Pellistri and Amad), we would be fine with him being 4th in the pecking order behind Rashford, Amad and Garnacho, with sufficient wiggle room to try out youth prospects.

A bit lightweight as a foursome, but we would also have a lot more money in the bank to improve on it. It's actually quite shocking when you think about how much money we spunked on that RW with little to show for it. More so when our starting point was a trouble-free Greenwood on the up.

I think a lot of people are overlooking the big sell on clauses we have with a lot of the players we’ve moved on, yes there’s always the chance they leave on a free but it seems most of the players we’ve sold are signing 4-5 year contracts.

Hypothetically if Greenwood, Pellestri, VDB, Kambwala and Alvaro were all to do well at their new clubs and get a move within a couple of years we’d be getting 40-50% of those fees.

Ineos are trying to get people off the books but also playing the long game so if they’re moving players on for a little bit less than maybe we should get whilst getting more down the line then so be it, we’ve been horrificly run for so long and the old regime would have likely renewed them all to ‘preserve player value’.

I guess the idea is we'll make up for the low fee with the fairly significant sell-on if Pellistri ever does amount to anything. I don't take too much issue with that.

The only frustration is we need money now and every outgoing seems to be subsidised in some way when other Premier League clubs are selling nobodies for £20m+ in the same window. Hopefully we'll get better at that once INEOS are more established here and have finished unwinding the chaos from the previous regime.

I would have thought he’d be one of our more lucrative sales this summer but 6 mil seems like a bit of a slap in the face. Granted who knows what the sell on clause is and if he gets a market again in a few years. Just honestly shocked that it’s not closer to 20 mil.

ive never remotely been impressed with him. Size wise doesnt look the part, always seems to be fluffing chances that he does create. Not to mention i swear half the time he is trying to do something felt like he was falling down. Just sell on for whatever, and put a decent sell on clause with it. If he does well and moves on it will come good for us. Regardless he isnt going to be featuring much for us here in this type of league.

I would have thought he’d be one of our more lucrative sales this summer but 6 mil seems like a bit of a slap in the face. Granted who knows what the sell on clause is and if he gets a market again in a few years. Just honestly shocked that it’s not closer to 20 mil.
Lucrative? What has he done to deserve the lucrative tag?

Buyers know United are desperate sellers and there's no way we were ever going to get 20m for Pellistri. We may get 25m for McTominay, who has the physical attributes of a top professional footballer but none of the chance creation skills of Pellistri. So we sell both for well under what we would like to have commanded in the market.

Good luck to him, hes gone somewhere where he has a chance to be successful. When you watch him he doesnt look bad, hes smooth running the ball but he just doesnt have any edge for an attacking player. The vision and the shot are below average for player in his position.

Can you tell me an attacking player who has a goal or assist every 8.4 x he plays 90 mins? If you can find one with a record that bad, I suspect we could buy him for £6 million. If you cant find one that bad... Chong had a better record than that and went to Luton for £4 million
Oh please dropthe stats, the guy hasbarely played club football here at all and on loan ina very negative side,these stats mean nothing. Tellme an interntaional attackcing player this age available for anythig like this kind of fee....that is relevant, not some crappy stat

Is he going to play for us? Is he a key United player?

He’s not shown a significant upside for any side to take him at a big fee.

Who else wants to buy him?
No problemselling him and dont personally are about the fee either, I am merely commenting that I find it absurd people saying its a fair price as its nothing

Oh please dropthe stats, the guy hasbarely played club football here at all and on loan ina very negative side,these stats mean nothing. Tellme an interntaional attackcing player this age available for anythig like this kind of fee....that is relevant, not some crappy stat

Not true at all. He's played 3045 first team mins for United, Alaves and Granada in the premier league, EFL cup and la liga. Thats where he's 1 goal or assist every 8.4 games. He has 2 goals and 2 assists in that time, 3045 mins is over 33.8 times 90 mins.

I’m sorry is he being transferred to play for an international team or club team? What has he done on the club level with his loans?
Really?! I forgot that the two are vastly different and that it’s actually a different sport. Honestly…

Tell me which Greek clubs are spending big money on players

Tell me which Greek clubs are spending big money on players
Its somewhat on us that we were unable to find buyers outside a greek club. Couple of Italian clubs seemed interested, but nothing came off it, probably because Pellistri wanted to reunite with his NT coach.

Chelsea just sold another one of their rejects for 30M. This isnt just about Pellstri, its not a one off. We just are not that good at selling yet, its so obvious to anyone, but you will have people defending United's honour with their lives here, if any such claim is made. Bizarre.

The problem with that is, it results in losing competitive football matches, now, and harming the academy prospects.

Scenario, let's say we have midfielder that we decide isn't good enough, Hannibal is the perfect example, even if at 22 he's not good enough for Manchester Utd, he's still going to be miles ahead of an 17 year old academy prospect like Jack Fletcher in a premier league context.

If you're Erik ten Hag and you need to put a body into midfield in a league match, a "not going to be good enough long term" Hannibal is still a more viable option than a "might be great in the longer term" Fletcher on that day, for that match. A manager that wants to keep his job, keeps tools that will allow him to do that.

I've just plucked these names as examples, not advocating we keep Hannibal, but the idea that we don't maintain squad depth with less than ideal players and throw 17 year olds into the fire isn't remotely realistic.

Id keep him because he looks like a slim version of young Sylvester Stallone.

Its somewhat on us that we were unable to find buyers outside a greek club. Couple of Italian clubs seemed interested, but nothing came off it, probably because Pellistri wanted to reunite with his NT coach.

Chelsea just sold another one of their rejects for 30M. This isnt just about Pellstri, its not a one off. We just are not that good at selling yet, its so obvious to anyone, but you will have people defending United's honour with their lives here, if any such claim is made. Bizarre.
I haven't seen any credible links to Italy. Can you provide a source?

We can't just magically get teams to buy our unwanted players

Broja looked a top prospect before his injury. He looked like he could actually be Chelsea's n.9. He's also being purchased by a prem club; not a Greek club.

I know we're shit at selling but I don't think this particular deal should be criticized.

Yeah that was my point basically, so we agree. I think everybody on this forum expected 10M+ for Pellistri at the beginning of the window.

If we got 10mil or up for him I would have been ecstatic but the reality is £5mil would be a good fee to get for him. The guy has failed at every loan he has been on, its been clear for a couple seasons that technically and physically he just hasn't got it at this level. When you look at the teams in the league and their wingers I don't see what club pays good money for him. Of the teams in La Liga/Seria A where maybe he'd challenge to start I don't see them forking out £10mil for him. He just isn't as good a player as people think, he was vastly overrated last season due to Antony's poor form and then was given a couple chances and proved to be just as bad or even worse than an off form Antony. He has a good character but yeah realistically I don't see a team paying north of 5mil for him.

If we got 10mil or up for him I would have been ecstatic but the reality is £5mil would be a good fee to get for him. The guy has failed at every loan he has been on, its been clear for a couple seasons that technically and physically he just hasn't got it at this level. When you look at the teams in the league and their wingers I don't see what club pays good money for him. Of the teams in La Liga/Seria A where maybe he'd challenge to start I don't see them forking out £10mil for him. He just isn't as good a player as people think, he was vastly overrated last season due to Antony's poor form and then was given a couple chances and proved to be just as bad or even worse than an off form Antony. He has a good character but yeah realistically I don't see a team paying north of 5mil for him.
A player can have bad loans, doesnt make them a bad player. His performances in the NT prove, there's a player in there. I saw more downplaying of his ability after his move to justify the low fee than I've seen in months on this forum.

Although one could argue 5M with a 50% sell on is better value than a 10M transfer with no sell on.

A player can have bad loans, doesnt make them a bad player. His performances in the NT prove, there's a player in there. I saw more downplaying of his ability after his move to justify the low fee than I've seen in months on this forum.

Although one could argue 5M with a 50% sell on is better value than a 10M transfer with no sell on.

There is a player there for sure, just not a player that I think is a regular starter in the prem or a good team in Europe. He just isn't that good a player. Compare him to wingers in teams that you think should be in for him and he doesn't come out good. That's not a knock on him, actually more a knock on us that at times last season we had to rely for a few games on a player that is just not that good. 5mil + a sell on clause of any kind is a very good deal.

I’m sorry is he being transferred to play for an international team or club team? What has he done on the club level with his loans?
He had bad loans and while Andreas had better ones they were not great either.
We should just be loaning to Championship clubs and then we would get a better idea of what they are capable of.

€5M plus a 40-45% sell-on clause is a decent deal—it's not great, but at least we could see some future earnings from him. He's 22 and has put in solid performances for the national team, where he's a regular player.

We paid £12 million for Mazaroui and people are mad we can only get £7 million and 50% sell on for Pellistri.

It’s a fair price, good luck to him, never United quality though and doesn’t really seem to have improved much more than from the day we signed him.

He’s 23 later this year and has scored four first team goals in over 100 first team appearances. I’d say £5 million is pretty acceptable.

€5M plus a 40-45% sell-on clause is a decent deal—it's not great, but at least we could see some future earnings from him. He's 22 and has put in solid performances for the national team, where he's a regular player.

Not played a single match for Chelsea, played 12 games in the german second division for Paderborn and 26 games for Swansea in the championship. Tell me again how the fee we're getting for Pellistri is remotely fair again?

Now watch this same Burnley low ball us for Hannibal whom we paid £9m for as a 16 year old.

Not played a single match for Chelsea, played 12 games in the german second division for Paderborn and 26 games for Swansea in the championship. Tell me again how the fee we're getting for Pellistri is remotely fair again?

Now watch this same Burnley low ball us for Hannibal whom we paid £9m for as a 16 year old.

Yeah Chelsea’s sales aren’t dodgy at all

Can't say I have seen one game of him, but apparently Burnley values him that much. Maybe Chelsea will buy a youth prospect of theirs above market value in return, who knows?

I wouldn't compare 'normal' transfers to Chelsea or City, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.