Facundo Pellistri (Out) | signed for Panathanikos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to the Greek league seems a little bit underwhelming. I know he hasn't remotely shown anything here but he's an Uruguayan international with loans in la Liga. I expected some teams from la Liga or maybe Netherlands or Portugal interested. The Greek league seems like a huge step down. Also I doubt we'll be able to get an 8 digit transfer from Panathinaikos. So most likely to be sold for around 5-6M which seems really low for an Uruguayan starter.

Not even a huge sell on clause would improve this as I don't think anyone's paying anything decent for a player from the Greek league.

It's clear he's not going to make it here as he lacks the talent but we should be able to get more from this players looking for how much Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool sell theirs.

But this is the result of keeping players for too long when it's clear they won't make it. He's been here for almost 4 years and never once he looked like breaking onto the first team, not even as a regular sub. We should had sold him two seasons ago. Now he's almost 23 and we'll sell for peanuts.

Last edited:
Going to the Greek league seems a little bit underwhelming. I know he hasn't remotely shown anything here but he's an Uruguayan international with loans in la Liga. I expected some teams from la Liga or maybe Netherlands or Portugal interested. The Greek league seems like a huge step down. Also I doubt we'll be able to get an 8 digit transfer from Panathinaikos. So most likely to be sold for around 5-6M which seems really low for an Uruguayan starter.

Not even a huge sell on clause would improve this as I don't think anyone's paying anything decent for a player from the Greek league.

It's clear he's not going to make it here as he lacks the talent but we should be able to get more from this players looking for how much Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool sell theirs.

The Greek transfer record is still the €19.6m Wolves paid to sign Dan Podence from Olympiakos

It does look like it'll be another leaving for a pretty low fee.

I can understand it more this season, as most we're looking to sell have been either in the last year of their contract, or come with issues (high wages / injuries / accusations), etc. So it's been more about getting out those we can, rather than playing hard ball over fees.

But certainly I'd have thought we could've got more for the likes of Fernandez (unfortunately the low fee was pre-agreed), and I'm not expecting much more than that from Panathanaikos - though a young attacking player, established as a regular with Uruguay, should be going for a fee much higher than tha!

Hopefully, moving forward, we'll get better at negotiating higher fees when we're selling. We already seem to be doing better so far when we're buying, which has been impressively quick. But we still seem to be being lowballed when teams are bidding for our players.

Last edited:
They have a Uruguayan manager which might help explain the move. Read earlier he has agreed personal terms with them.

He has no record to be of value. People often talk about being selected a lot for Uruguay which is fine but I dont think you're automatically a £10 million+ player because Uruguay picks you. Almost every country has weak areas and if you're picking an attacker who doesnt score or create goals then you have a weakness in that area.

He’ll go for peanuts. It’s extremely frustrating as Liverpool and City routinely sell players like this for £15-20m.

They may have,
but can you specify which attacking players Liverpool and City have sold for that much that had 2 goals and 2 assists in 29 league, FA cup and european starts for United, Alaves and Granada?

Edit - He has a goal or assist contribution every 761.25 mins. Or every 8.4 games(90 mins) he plays

He has no record to be of value. People often talk about being selected a lot for Uruguay which is fine but I dont think you're automatically a £10 million+ player because Uruguay picks you. Almost every country has weak areas and if you're picking an attacker who doesnt score or create goals then you have a weakness in that area.
Have you seen how much liverpool are getting for the reserve no name players?

Have you seen how much liverpool are getting for the reserve no name players?

I'd hazard a guess that those youngsters are expected to score or assist for their new team in the championship, league 1 or premier league more often than every 8.4 games

Still think he can be a good player in some other top flight European league and he can do better than Greek league imo. I think Eredivisie would suit him well.

Still think he can be a good player in some other top flight European league and he can do better than Greek league imo. I think Eredivisie would suit him well.

Nah, he won't even be a standout in the Greek league.

I promise I’m not trying to be a dick by saying this but how?

Panathinaikos' highest ever transfer was 15 years ago for Djibril Cisse for 8m and he was a rather big name at the time who became an absolute legend in Athens.
Also, there's no way they can sell him for anything more than 20-25m in the future, since it's still the Greek league.
Another loan wouldn't make any sense since Pellistri's contract expires next year and he's obviously not good enough to be part of this squad. I would imagine Panathinaikos are simply the only ones interested and we have no other choice but to go with their offer.

All in all, I would expect something like 6-7M transfer fee with a small sell-on.

According to a Panathinaikos fan on reddit, their offer is €8m but we want more plus a high sell on close to 50%.
We spent more on his before or just after he made his national team debut. He's a regular Uraguyan international, I think our money back plus a big sell on fee is fair. The sell on fees are applied to profits made, not to the full fee that Panathinaikos will received.

I promise I’m not trying to be a dick by saying this but how?
He has talent & skill but doesn't have the physical attributes to succeed in PL. He needs a less physical league where he can get proper playing time to develop. At just 22, there's plenty of development left. Maybe his career doesn't pan out but having seen him play for Uruguay, I do think there's talent there.

City, Liverpool and Chelsea send their youngsters on well-planned loan moves to increase their experience and their value.

We sent Pellistri to Alaves for half a season where he started 5 games in the league.

Then what did we do? We sent him right back to Alaves again - this time for a full season - where he started 6 games.

Tidy player, doesn't have the physicality to make it in this league, and his output is so poor.

He will get decent money for his level in Greece, live in a nice country and get to prove himself.

We continue trimming the excess fat around the squad.

Saw some talk that the Panathinaikos denies this already. But not sure if true. We're not going to be begging much from a Greek team. Pellestri is such a weird case though. Never seems to do much at club level since he was in Uruguay. Pretty good record at international level though.

I don't think he has enough quality to strive in the top five leagues to be honest. He might end up back in the Americas soon. He could make a good career for himself in MLS or Liga MX

According to a Panathinaikos fan on reddit, their offer is €8m but we want more plus a high sell on close to 50%.
We are starting to look like PSG with Ugarte.

There don't seem to be other offers. In our books it's a profit. Kid likely looking forward to it as Panathinaikos manager is the same guy who gave him his first cap in his first game in charge of the NT with Qatar qualification looking doubtful.

Different from PSG with us, it's rather pointless and a complete waste of time to try haggle 1-2m out of a Greek club.

Get it done, move on. Good luck Facu.

He’s not good enough at this level. Not by a long shot from what I’ve seen. He seems to have a good attitude and be a game lad but he has already had a couple of crap loan spells and he needs games to kick on.

Hopefully we recoup the initial transfer fee with a good signing on clause and maybe a first refusal option if he does well.

Has a very good attitude however just doesn't have the talent or physicality to be a member of our squad unfortunately. Whilst it would be good to recoup the original transfer fee, as long as we are able to record the sale as a profit I'm fine.

He's not very good and will struggle in any of the top leagues. If we get around £5 million for him them just let him go and develop his career. It does no one any good having him lurking around the reserves for months on end.

Lets have it right we paid 9 million for potential. He's had a few moments where he's looked okay but other than that he's not looked good enough.

If we can recoup the fee then we've done well in my eyes.

Good luck in the future. We bought a talented young player, some work out, some dont.

He has one year left on his contract. 8m euros is a totally fair offer

I believe they recently bought Tete from Galatasaray for 7.75m Euro, which would mean the offer of +€8.0m is very realistic

Status
Not open for further replies.