Facundo Pellistri (Out) | signed for Panathanikos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sad that he's going as I had a soft spot for the lad, but probably in his best interest. It's a shame he wasn't given a real run in the side, as he always gave his all and had some good impact in very brief cameo's. It's a shame that his potential progression has been blocked by us having 2 misfiring right wingers that cost a lot of money in Sancho and Anthony. The club has seemingly ended up wasting time on the more expensive 2 candidates, hoping they would come good, leaving very little opportunities for Pellestri.

I hope he does well for himself and kicks on. I don't think there was ever a stellar talent there, but his dedication and work rate couldn't be faltered. Given more scope and time he may have progressed into a player with real threat but I prefer it when the club gives younger players like him a chance to shine rather than trying to polish the turd that Sancho and Anthony became.

€8m is not great. But 45% sale isn’t bad. Hopefully he does well and goes to another club for €20-25m later and we will make enough from his sale.

€8m is not great. But 45% sale isn’t bad. Hopefully he does well and goes to another club for €20-25m later and we will make enough from his sale.
I think with current PSR rules and the length of time with us , it should be a positive on the balance sheet at least.

Shame that Prem is so fixated with inverted wingers, think he would add something to the squad

Considering the record transfer from the Greek league is less than €20m i'd say thats highly unlikely. Being realistic hopefully he start giving some good performances and they can sell him for about 10M.

He has 2 years left because we have the option to extend for a further year. Same with McT. Pellistri has 26 caps for Uruguay whereas this random kid at the age of 21 has 26 appearances for Swansea.

This random kid has more first team club football minutes under his belt for the last two seasons than Pellistri has since signing for United in 2019.

It seems pretty apparent to me that the Chelsea player has had better/more successful loans whilst playing in a position (CB) that's harder to get appearances in as a young player.

Considering the record transfer from the Greek league is less than €20m i'd say thats highly unlikely. Being realistic hopefully he start giving some good performances and they can sell him for about 10M.
A lot of these sell ons are contingent on the sales price being above what the club originally paid. So it may be we only get 45% of anything beyond the 6M they can sell him for.

Don't know if that's the case here, but just raising it as a possibility.

One problem with high sell-ons is they disincentivize the new club from selling the player at all. If the Greek club has to pay half the transfer fee to us, they may just keep him and let him go on a free when his contract expires.

For that reason I'd only include these super high sell on %'s when there's a release clause in the new contract. That way the new club has no choice in the matter.

One problem with high sell-ons is they disincentivize the new club from selling the player at all. If the Greek club has to pay half the transfer fee to us, they may just keep him and let him go on a free when his contract expires.
So you’re saying hypothetically if they are getting €15m for him they would let him go for free rather than getting the €7-8m to balance the books? These clubs are super rich and anyone in they would happily take.

So you’re saying hypothetically if they are getting €15m for him they would let him go for free rather than getting the €7-8m to balance the books? These clubs are super rich and anyone in they would happily take.
What I said was on the margins it decreases their incentive to sell. That's just a fact. There's some value to having the player in the club, so the sales price they receive must exceed the value they'd get from retaining them. The higher the sell-on clause % is, the more likely it is the new club will struggle to sell the player while still making the finances work.

A hypothetical example could be McTominay if we'd bought him from another club. Let's say we can find a willing £25M buyer for him this window.

He's got two years left on his contract (if we exercise his option). Let's imagine his value to United's roster is £7.5M per year he stays with the club. That means the absolute minimum we'd sell him for is £15M, because otherwise it would cost more than his transfer price to replace him.

Now imagine we'd bought McTominay previously, and his former club had a 50% sell-on. In that case, even though we could sell him for £25M, we'd only pocket £12.5M after paying his former club. So the sale will never happen at that price; we'd need a minimum of £30M just to breakeven with his replacement cost.

It's just a fact that super high sell-ons make it much harder for clubs to justify selling players. Anything in the 50%+ range will probably make it hard for the numbers to pencil out unless the player just becomes way better so that the new transfer fee is huge.

Always liked his attitude, and his directness. Remember his first game, when he skinned the full back, on the outside, and pinged a perfect cross for Shoretire to bury the opportunity.
Not sure we will ever see him back playing for United, but I believe he will become a decent player in Europe, and 45% sell on clause is a great result.
I wish him well for the future.

I'm not sure what you really want people to say in response. We literally signed Pellistri for peanuts, and now he's being sold for peanuts. You want us to sign £7m players, great, he's an example of that and it didn't work out, but the squad needs serious investment now to become competitive for CL spots in the short to medium term. There's still time in the future to try more cheaper deals on younger talents to speculate.

Pellistri has gone out on average loans to lower level La Liga sides who aren't interested in signing him permanently, and it seems like the only interest came from a side in the Greek league. A team in a better league that literally saw him day in day out for an entire season wasn't interested in signing him permanently.

Now every other club in the world may be wrong, he may be some flower yet to blossom, but the more likely answer is he's just not that good a player and at 23 his ceiling is limited. Him playing for Uruguay doesn't change that.
At least get your facts straight, he isnt 23 and he cost us more than £7m,.

At least get your facts straight, he isnt 23 and he cost us more than £7m,.
AHH yes. 9 mill and 23 in four months.

Colossal differences. I completely retract everything I said because that completely changes everything.

Get a grip

Can’t believe we got only £5m for him when City were able to sell Palmer for 8x that.

AHH yes. 9 mill and 23 in four months.

Colossal differences. I completely retract everything I said because that completely changes everything.

Get a grip

To be fair. The clubs he played for in La Liga were relegated and are in no position even to match the fee paid by Panathinaikos even if they were so inclined and so his not getting a move back to La Liga is not a stick to beat him with. I do think he wanted the move to Greece because he will be linking up with his former national team manager and whilst we don't know all of the ins and outs of this deal it is quite possible that we took his wishes into consideration when negotiating his exit as the club has a track record of doing that with it's young players.

Wish the lad nothing but success, great attitude from a player that was probably never likely to make it here.

It’s good we have registered accounting profit on this sale, and sell-on clause is also nice

Status
Not open for further replies.