Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 3m
Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas (26) has some doubts about staying next season. He would like to feel more important. [rac1]

That or Fabregas (or his agent) hinted to someone associated with the club that he wanted to come here, we cooled off on Thiago, giddy on the idea of getting Fabregas, then for whatever reason the Fabregas transfer doesn't materialise.

Its possible we were only in for Fabregas the whole time, and all the media were speculating because they had heard that United were talking to Barca, and knew that Thiago's contract had that clause. That, coupled with our obvious gap in midfield led them to make assumptions

Its possible we were only in for Fabregas the whole time, and all the media were speculating because they had heard that United were talking to Barca, and knew that Thiago's contract had that clause. That, coupled with our obvious gap in midfield led them to make assumptions

Unlikely, but possible.

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 3m
Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas (26) has some doubts about staying next season. He would like to feel more important. [rac1]
In other words, is he getting a big fat paycheck due to our interest in him now?

Unlikely, but possible.

Why is it unlikely? The club never mentioned anything about a bid for Thiago, it was all twitter speculation, and assumptions based on a ball that De Gea had written on. Compare that to this, where the news of an actual bid has been everywhere. Why would we suddenly change tact when we want a player from one player to the next?

Guardian:

Moyes has stated publicly for the first time that United did make a formal offer for Barcelona's Cesc Fábregas. "I don't like to talk about players at other clubs but I can confirm we made a bid for him," the manager said, of what is thought to be a £26m offer that was rejected by Barcelona.

Why is it unlikely? The club never mentioned anything about a bid for Thiago, it was all twitter speculation, and assumptions based on a ball that De Gea had written on. Compare that to this, where the news of an actual bid has been everywhere. Why would we suddenly change tact when we want a player from one player to the next?

We haven't mentioned anything about a bid with Fabregas and apparently Barcelona have denied receiving one.
This summer is weird.

edit: I'm wrong. See Steves post above

Interesting that we didn't confirm the Thiago bid but have quickly confirmed the bid for Fabregas.

Interesting that we didn't confirm the Thiago bid but have quickly confirmed the bid for Fabregas.

I guess we didn't need to confirm any bid as we knew what the bid had to be? But we never confirmed our interest in him, like we have done with Cesc.

Out of interest, what is the maximum amount you lads would want us to spend on Fabregas? If you're one of those who doesn't really care how much we spend because presumably if the club spend it then we can responsibly afford it (as I am, generally), make an educated guess at what you'd pay if you were 'the club.'

£35mil? £40mil? Would you base your limit on how much he's worth to Barca, or how much he would be worth to us (a fair amount more, I reckon)?

40million I'd say. Having said that, if we said no to 45million and ended up not signing someone else for CM, I'd be well pissed.

Basically, just get him.

If happily see us pay £50m if we got him to sign a 6 year contract at least.

None of his game is really based on pace and look at what value Ferdinand turned out to be, just over £3m a year for his transfer fee has been a bargain. Not bad for a British record fee.

I can easily see Fabregas playing into his mid thirties.

Out of interest, what is the maximum amount you lads would want us to spend on Fabregas? If you're one of those who doesn't really care how much we spend because presumably if the club spend it then we can responsibly afford it (as I am, generally), make an educated guess at what you'd pay if you were 'the club.'

£35mil? £40mil? Would you base your limit on how much he's worth to Barca, or how much he would be worth to us (a fair amount more, I reckon)?

Frankly we have to pay what they want, we are in desperate needs for a world class midfielder. Lets say max £44m to don't make it unrealistic. He will be a perfect signing and I can't see a better choice then him when we didn't go for Thiago. Fabregas would be a very strong statement of intention from Moyes, exactly what he needs to regain his status and authority against media and (some) supporters. The last part was a dig at myself.

Half of you guys have had your brains turned by FM.

Nonsense, our figures and expectation are based on the market. Torres for £50m, Carroll for £35m, god knows how many City players for £30m+.

Unless you're talking about our hopes of actually landing him? In which case ill agree that it's unlikely but then so was Figo, Campbell to your lot and more recently Van Persie to us. These strange occurrences happen from time to time.

Considering his transfer at £35 million to barca was considered a bargain at the time ( he was worth around 45-50 then) I don't see why his value should have decreased too much. I'd be willing to pay up to 50 million, taking into account his ability, age, premiership proven, playing for the team he loves and how desperate we are for a midfielder. He's a better player and would be more important to our squad then bale yet some people would go more then 60 mil for bale.

40 million on Fabregas in order to get him wouldn't be that bad. Just don't sign Garay and Baines and spend those money for Fabregas and we all will be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.