Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd prefer Fabregas because he was shit hot in the PL...but if the compromise was Modric I'd be fecking delighted.

I was never a massive fan. I would have liked to have signed him a couple of years ago sure, but I just cant see him taking us to the next level now. He's good, but in my opinion, not good enough.

What's this "next level" we need to go to exactly? We already have a great squad, the only issue is our midfield and Modric would go a very long way towards sorting out the issues that exist within it. This idea that whenever we have a weak spot in our team we should go spend all the money we can on the very best player we can get has been a constant theme here in recent years, and we've never done it (bar RvP, who funnily enough, we didn't actually *need* at the time) yet still we continue to win.

In my eyes you don't always have to do what Real and Chelsea do and splash out megabucks on the best players you can think of, you can improve your team by not doing that, and frankly, Modric is a fecking excellent midfielder and actually having to discuss whether he's good enough for our team is quite baffling really.

What's this "next level" we need to go to exactly? We already have a great squad, the only issue is our midfield and Modric would go a very long way towards sorting out the issues that exist within it. This idea that whenever we have a weak spot in our team we should go spend all the money we can on the very best player we can get has been a constant theme here in recent years, and we've never done it yet (bar RvP, who funnily enough, we didn't actually *need* at the time) still we continue to win.

In my eyes you don't always have to do what Real and Chelsea do and splash out megabucks on the best players you can think of, you can improve your team by not doing that, and frankly, Modric is a fecking excellent midfielder and actually having to discuss whether he's good enough for our team is quite baffling really.

I'm allowed to have a different opinion to you. I think plenty of others share both views. I just think he is 27, not likely to improve, not good enough for Real Madrid and therefor not good enough for us.

He's the bloke who effectively knocked us out of the CL! So, obviously, he's not good enough for us...or something.

I'm allowed to have a different opinion to you. I think plenty of others share both views. I just think he is 27, not likely to improve, not good enough for Real Madrid and therefor not good enough for us.

It's a good thing Inter and Bayern didn't share the same view as you when they bought Sneijder and Robben.

The last time we were this lacking and in desperate need of a new midfielder was back in 2006, and back then everyone was panicking, saying we need to spend big money and get a great player, instead, we got this Michael Carrick fellow. I don't recall that turning out too badly.

One thing I learned under SAF is that the best player isn't always the right player.

Fabregas is not good enough to start for Barca and therefore he isn't good enough for us. Oh and he is 26 and unlikely to improve.

Modric is good, but would still prefer Fabregas because he's much better.

To go from a Fabregas bid to Modric would be underwhelming because it'd be another step down, and another target missed, but i do agree that Modric would still improve our midfield no end.

But we want to improve to be the top team in Europe, and buying someone who is 4th/5th choice at Real Madrid will not do that.

Sneijder, van der vaart, and Robben were surplus for them. I wouldn't say no to any of them. Modric will be an excellent signing for any team, especially PL team. He's actually proved he could more than just 'cut it' in this league.

Someone linked to our books the other day. Last summer we had like £240m in cash or something though. Dunno what happened to the rest of it, maybe we bought some more stuff like buildings (we like to buy buildings).

I missed that one alright, but i'm just gonna go along with what Moyes said regarding "there is no budget" - i much prefer that beautiful line :)

It's only just occurred to me that if it is true that we're preparing a second bid then we must have been given some form of encouragement from Barcelona otherwise they would have told us to feck off.

I don't think this transfer could be more on.

I can't help but think he'd take one look at what RVP achieved in a single season and find it hard to say no.

I hope so, if it was a case of winning I know he would chose us but this I feel might be more than that. I just feel like he's too loyal too Wenger, he's younger than Van Persie too. He would be fantastic beside Carrick, he would make the game easier for everybody around him.

So because he's not first choice at Real Madrid, a club notorious for ruining great players careers and selling them off only for those players to end up being brilliant again (Robben, Sneijder), he's not of a high enough standard to take us to the next level. I could swear it was only this time last year where Modric was basically everyone on here's dream signing that would solve all our midfield issues. Now suddenly we're linked to Cesc and Thiago and he's not good enough for us anymore.

I'll add to that. If Modric were to join another club, lets say Inter, for 25mn and do good to great, people here would be foaming saying we should have been in for him/ Madrid always ruins good players and we never get good value deals and demand we bid 35mn for him the next year.

Our midfield will be like the Hair Bear Bunch if we get Fellaini too.

Someone tweeted this just now, and I think it raises a good point: Isn't it strange that Barca haven't actually come out and said they have rejected the bid? Perhaps there are negotiations going on. We went out straight away saying we rejected that Chelsea bid, if Barca were so keen to keep him wouldn't they do the same thing? Food for thought.

Someone tweeted this just now, and I think it raises a good point: Isn't it strange that Barca haven't actually come out and said they have rejected the bid? Perhaps there are negotiations going on. We went out straight away saying we rejected that Chelsea bid, if Barca were so keen to keep him wouldn't they do the same thing? Food for thought.

Yeah, I said this about an hour ago. In this very thread.

So would any fan who knows anything about football.

This, anyone that thinks we're too good for Modric is having a laugh.. he'd walk into our midfield and be the best player - easily.

That's a bit harsh on our current best midfielder. Easily? Come on.

Being serious. As a player who can dictate the tempo of a game and take it to the opposition, no one close in our side. Carrick's a quality player but I guarantee if Modric was playing for us, he'd be loved and adored by the fans.

Fabregas is not good enough to start for Barca and therefore he isn't good enough for us. Oh and he is 26 and unlikely to improve.

Really? Getting a bit childish now aren't we. Fabregas has started more for Barca and done pretty well. It's not really comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.