Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because clubs don't generally make and then publicise bids unless they think there's a chance of them being successful. Especially United, unless my memory is failing me.

Lets hope it's not signalling a change in the way we handle transfers now we have changed other things such as social networking..

Because clubs don't generally make and then publicise bids unless they think there's a chance of them being successful. Especially United, unless my memory is failing me.
Maybe it's some sort of pressure tactic. Maybe we want the fans to know how much we're trying. Could be anything.

Surely if Fabregas was available, then Arsenal would use their buy back clause? I can't see any reason why they wouldn't, especially when they have the money. I think Fabregas would be a great signing, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Even if they do he can still choose us over them

Even if they do he can still choose us over them

Yeah, not in an arrogant way, but I don't get why people are worried about Arsenal. How many players in recent years have chosen to go to arsenal over us? Arsenal have become a selling club with their top stars in recent years.

Maybe it's some sort of pressure tactic. Maybe we want the fans to know how much we're trying. Could be anything.

Exactly. "We have no budget limitations, we even tried for Fabregas, we promise Fellaini and Gareth Barry weren't our only targets this summer"

Surely if Fabregas was available, then Arsenal would use their buy back clause? I can't see any reason why they wouldn't, especially when they have the money. I think Fabregas would be a great signing, but I'll believe it when I see it.

For it to take effect, Fabregas would have to want to go there. They wouldn't make a bid until that happened.
Why go from sitting on a bench to go to a team fighting for a champions league spot? No offence to Arsenal, but if he wanted to leave, I think he'd want to go somewhere where he can win titles. He's trying to get into the spanish squad.

Yeah, not in an arrogant way, but I don't get why people are worried about Arsenal. How many players in recent years have chosen to go to arsenal over us? Arsenal have become a selling club with their top stars in recent years.

Ramsey comes to mind, no one else in particular in recent years.

True. That's why my post was prefaced with loads of equivocating nonsense. I'm still not discounting the smokescreen theory of bidding publicly for one player in order to put pressure on another.

Its because of his time at Arsenal that I find this hard to believe, and then I think RVP and then I think, just maybe !!!

Up until now we've had SAF and practically guaranteed the players trophies though. Circumstances change. Not that I see Arsenal as a more attractive proposition than us or anything, they're not, but for a player with Fabregas' history there, you never know.

For it to take effect, Fabregas would have to want to go there. They wouldn't make a bid until that happened.
Why go from sitting on a bench to go to a team fighting for a champions league spot? No offence to Arsenal, but if he wanted to leave, I think he'd want to go somewhere where he can win titles. He's trying to get into the spanish squad.

He'd surely be in the Spanish squad anyway. The fact that he is an Arsenal "legend" and ex-captain might be a reason for him to choose Arsenal. He should choose United obviously but you never know.

I think we're all just watching with interest to be honest no mass muppet suicide seeing as we've had no bid accepted or any inclination from the player that he's open to the move. We do however tend to make enquiries about players availability before we bid though so who knows

Seeing a couple of people suggesting that he hasn't got as much game time as he might have hoped for since going, which I don't buy. Using the ESPN stats and discounting starts for Spain, I make it 42 starts for Barca, which seems like loads. Even with Neymar coming, he'll get loads of game time. Thiago's gone, so most of his games will probably go to Fabregas. Plus Barca play him with incredible flexibility - at one time or another, he's been used in every position except CB, FB and GK. He'll probably be 'second choice' for Xavi's position, Iniesta's position and Messi's position, and he's in the pool for either of the wide forward positions too.

If he were unhappy there (which again, the quotes would seem to definitively prove that he isn't) then I think he'd be questioning his importance to the side, rather than his game time. Despite all the above positions he can play in, I don't think there's one that he could really call his own. But then again, with Thiago gone he's basically got a clear run at Xavi's position.

It's a bit of a myth that once a team has placed a bid, the player has clearly indicated a willingness to join. Players reject teams all the time. Oswaldo has just done it to Southampton apparently, Tom Ince to Cardiff and there are several other examples.

You lot have overlooked something else, "The Messi factor".

Messi and Cesc are really good friends and Barca will do anything to keep Messi happy even if it means hanging onto Cesc. Unless we are bidding for Messi as well. LiONel

You lot have overlooked something else, "The Messi factor".

Messi and Cesc are really good friends and Barca will do anything to keep Messi happy even if it means hanging onto Cesc. Unless we are bidding for Messi as well. LiONel

So what do you propose will actually happen to Messi if Fabregas goes? He'll put in a transfer request? He's insist on going to United too? Just like he probably begged to leave Barcelona to join Arsenal for years before they signed Sex.

Didn't they all die during the Thiago crisis?

Yeah but then this Fabregas saga resurrected us.

I've never been a transfer puppet before, I was even against the sneidjer transfer. Something has changed in me this summer.

It's a bit of a myth that once a team has placed a bid, the player has clearly indicated a willingness to join. Players reject teams all the time. Oswaldo has just done it to Southampton apparently, Tom Ince to Cardiff and there are several other examples.

Ince was interested and apparently went to look around Cardiff, but decided to stay with his family.

One thing I'm struggling to understand in all this. If Fabregas was our priority, then why the hell didn't we just bid for him before Thiago agreed a deal with munich, we would have had a greater chance in getting him if they had Thiago still with them.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Graham Hunter was on Alan Brazil on TalkSport this morning talking about the Fabregas deal. He seems to view this deal pretty negatively. He wonders what Fabregas' motivation could be to leave Barcelona when off the back of a great season, after Thiago left, and after Xavi stated that he is going to begin playing less. Also, he says that Fabregas' wife has been looking for a new in Barcelona by the beach. He also states that the bid is too low compared to what Barcelona played for him. More telling, he mentioned that though Barcelona haven't made any official statement, off the record Barcelona say that they haven't received any bid for Fabregas.

One thing I'm struggling to understand in all this. If Fabregas was our priority, then why the hell didn't we just bid for him before Thiago agreed a deal with munich, we would have had a greater chance in getting him if they had Thiago still with them.
I'm stunned that nobody asked this question sooner.

Manchester United have been told Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas is not available to buy after lodging a €30million (£26 million) bid for the former Arsenal captain.

United manager David Moyes is keen to strengthen his midfield options and placed a bid for Fabregas, while also considering a move for Everton midfielder Marouane Fellaini.
Moyes is confident in making the Barcelona midfielder his first big-money signing since taking charge at Old Trafford earlier this summer.

But a Barcelona source has warned: "The player is not transferable."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...er-Cesc-Fabregas-is-not-available-to-buy.html

Yeah but then this Fabregas saga resurrected us.

I've never been a transfer puppet before, I was even against the sneidjer transfer. Something has changed in me this summer.

You're on the slippery slope. Soon you'll be of the mind that Summer is the only time you really feel 'alive' as a football fan. You'll gradually lose interest in football between August and May, only dipping back in for a fix in January. Condolences

Thus rejecting Cardiff's offer for him.
But thats a rubbish point.

Ince was clearly considering joining, the fact the deal broke down wouldn't change the basic assumption that Cardiff wouldn't have gone for him if they thought he wouldn't even consider it.

Deals break down all the time, I agree, but that doesn't mean that the player was never interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.