Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would they want to replace fabregas? Who will they get who is better?

Doesn't fit their playing style. Isn't popular with their fans. Isn't popular with their coaches. The club has fed rumours to the press about attitude / off-field issues. The only time he's really looked good on-field was when he was playing neat little moves with Messi, but they've hired Neymar for that job now. That'll do for starters.

Against that - they sold Thiago. He won't be forced out, because Messi likes him too much. We don't know if he really wants to move.

Doesn't fit their playing style. Isn't popular with their fans. Isn't popular with their coaches. The club has fed rumours to the press about attitude / off-field issues. The only time he's really looked good on-field was when he was playing neat little moves with Messi, but they've hired Neymar for that job now. That'll do for starters.

Against that - they sold Thiago. He won't be forced out, Messi likes him too much. We don't know if he really wants to move.

Is that such a big factor? Surely they can't keep a guy like Fabregas (although I hate the odious cnut), just to keep Messi happy?

Sure, he hasn't fit in all that well but the question still stands that they'd have to replace him with someone better. And I don't see anyone better out there. Barca's recent success has been built around midfielders from la masia. They might face the exact same problem if they get rid of fabregas and replace him with another outsider who probably won't be as good overall.

We have first rights on buying Cesc, and unless he explicitly states he wants to move to Utd (which i don't think will happen), you don't have a chance if we know he's available. This is taing the wild assumption that he does want to leave, or that Barca want to sell, which i severely doubt.

As for the smokescreen, you're right. I believe that Utd have discovered that life in the transfer market without Ferguson is a little harder. Not that he landed all his targets, of course.

All in all, I predict your lot coming out of this with a lot of egg on your face.

Why ? because we have bid for a player and we don't get him , how is that egg on your face ?, it happens all the time.

Sure, he hasn't fit in all that well but the question still stands that they'd have to replace him with someone better. And I don't see anyone better out there. Barca's recent success has been built around midfielders from la masia. They might face the exact same problem if they get rid of fabregas and replace him with another outsider who probably won't be as good overall.

it's not really a case of replacing him though, I think they believe Neymar will be a better player alongside Messi than he was for them, and it's a priority of theirs to actually get some top center backs in, and if they do so, that frees Mascherano and Song up to actually play in midfield. They may see Fabregas as a necessary sacrifice in order to get the center backs they want because it's rumoured that they're pretty short on cash after the Neymar transfer.

Will they even have to replace him?

Neymar has taken his posistion up front and the signing of a centre back will mean Song and Mascherano coming in to the midfield equation more. Iniesta can play back centrally rather than off the left to accomdate him, too.

Edit: Or what Cina said a minute before me.

We have first rights on buying Cesc, and unless he explicitly states he wants to move to Utd (which i don't think will happen), you don't have a chance if we know he's available. This is taing the wild assumption that he does want to leave, or that Barca want to sell, which i severely doubt.

As for the smokescreen, you're right. I believe that Utd have discovered that life in the transfer market without Ferguson is a little harder. Not that he landed all his targets, of course.

All in all, I predict your lot coming out of this with a lot of egg on your face.

:lol:

it's not really a case of replacing him though, I think they believe Neymar will be a better player alongside Messi than he was for them, and it's a priority of theirs to actually get some top center backs in, and if they do so, that frees Mascherano and Song up to actually play in midfield. They may see Fabregas as a necessary sacrifice in order to get the center backs they want because it's rumoured that they're pretty short on cash after the Neymar transfer.
Okay, so song and macherano as backups for busquets position. What about xavi and iniesta? Their game needs playmakers or creative midfielders stepping in for them. Throwing song or macherano into those key roles would throw the teams game off.

Right, so they sell Fabregas to unleash the glorious creative talents that are Masch and Song.

Think long term. Are they actually ready to rely on Iniesta alone to step into Xavi's shoes when they have the next best thing already there?

Mata? David Silva? Gundogan? Plenty of CM's available, just need to flash the right amount of cash about.
Only one of those is a central midfielder. And although he's one of my transfer crushes is summer, I reckon he'd take time to adjust too, just like fabregas.

Okay, so song and macherano as backups for busquets position. What about xavi and iniesta? Their game needs playmakers or creative midfielders stepping in for them. Throwing song or macherano into those key roles would throw the teams game off.

Well they might think Busquets is capable of playing a more advanced role, Iniesta maybe playing a little deeper with Neymar at the front of the three or perhaps Messi at the front of the three with Neymar as a lone striker. Either way, there's a lot of versatility in that Barcelona side, it's the size of the squad that's the problem, and even if they lose Fabregas, they're better stocked for midfielders than defenders, and the club know that.

Right, so they sell Fabregas to unleash the glorious creative talents that are Masch and Song.

Think long term. Are they actually ready to rely on Iniesta alone to step into Xavi's shoes when they have the next best thing already there?
What if they don't think Fabregas is the next best thing, similar to Xavi or even capable of doing that job for them?

That's the issue for me. I can't see Barca selling Fabregas and Thiago without bringing in a replacement first.

Either way though, they will still have sold two world class players at the end of the day.

My undeveloped antipodean brain would probably explode if we sign Fabregas.

Highly skeptical though. I would've thought Fabregas becomes more valuable to Barca the older Xavi gets. He's 34 in January, seems mad to sell Fabregas as Xavi approaches the twilight of his career. Even more so considering they just sold Thiago. I would be very, very surprised if we Barca accepted a bid from us. Also I can't see him wanting to leave either. Why would he? He signed for the team of a generation, which also happens to be his boyhood team.

What does a smokescreen achieve? Just for shits and giggles? It's not going to lower fellanis buy out clause now is it

He, no. The smokescreen is mainly a myth, I think. At least in the sense that club A launches a bid for a player they have no intention of buying just to throw the competition off the scent - and then go swiftly for the real target while the others are busy nosing around the decoy. If we have in fact made a bid for Fabregas as a smokescreen it would mean we're going for a player the likes of City and Chelsea would also be interested in, i.e. they might come in to hijack the deal, etc. In other words, someone like Vidal, say - not Fellaini.

I don't think so, though.

Assuming this is not a smokescreen and not a random bid either - isn't it possible that we were told at some point (by player, agent or club) that both Thiago and Fabregas were realistic enough, i.e. we concluded that going for either player wouldn't be a complete waste of time? And that we have been working on both of 'em up until the point when Thiago decided to join Bayern? That's the only explanation I can see for us launching a bid the day after the Thiago deal was done. That is, unless the timing here is sheer coincidence - but I find that a bit hard to believe.

Mata? David Silva? Gundogan? Plenty of CM's available, just need to flash the right amount of cash about.
Barcelona selling Fabregas to us and replacing him with one of Mata and Silva would be absolutely fantastic.

It sucks that they sold Thiago though, with him still in the side there would be a realistic chance that they'd let Fabregas go because their midfield would still look sorted for the coming years. With him gone they'd be on the short side in case Cesc left.

I didn't know you were an Arsenal supporter! Had to read that post a couple of times to understand what you meant, but yes, the Arsenal clause makes it more difficult though still not outside the realms of possibility.

I don't see Chelsea selling Mata for anything but an extortionate fee. He doesn't seem to want to move anyway.

It sucks that they sold Thiago though, with him still in the side there would be a realistic chance that they'd let Fabregas go because their midfield would still look sorted for the coming years. With him gone they'd be on the short side in case Cesc left.

But they're even shorter in defense, which means they would probably prefer to replace Fabregas, a player who, as jojojo said, the fans have never overly warmed to, with a defender like Thiago Silva.

That's complete rubbish. Equally arrogant as United fans claiming Arsenal won't have a chance if he's available.

Any word on whether this bid has been rejected or not? The fact there's been nothing coming from Barcelona's side suggests maybe there's something in this and maybe they are up for negotiating.

Well, that depends completely on how those players have actually been regarded by Barca as of late. What they need, people have assumed, is a long-term Xavi replacement. And people have seen both Cesc and Thiago as that player. However, there has been plenty of talk suggesting Tito (Pep before him, for that matter) didn't regard Cesc as a natural replacement, him being too "individualistic" for their brand of football. That really changes the whole thing. They may not regard Cesc as vital to their future plans at all.

Definitely, Mata in particular. But I don't see it happening for all the obvious reasons

I think if given the chance Mata would jump at the chance to join Barca. It just depends how much money you have in the bank. Selling Thiago and Fabregas and buying Mata and Silva would be great business imo, the question is how much money do you have in the bank? I'd say a fair bit considering the offers floating about pre Thiago transfer.

Any word on whether this bid has been rejected or not? The fact there's been nothing coming from Barcelona's side suggests maybe there's something in this and maybe they are up for negotiating.

Nothing as of yet. It's a valid point. When a club have no intention of selling they are usually very quick to make a statement in saying so.

Nothing as of yet. It's a valid point. When a club have no intention of selling they are usually very quick to make a statement in saying so.

Exactly, Everton were very quick to bin our bid for Baines. I'd have thought Barcelona would have come out and said something by now regarding Fabregas if they wanted to keep him.

Exactly, Everton were very quick to bin our bid for Baines. I'd have thought Barcelona would have come out and said something by now regarding Fabregas if they wanted to keep him.

Takes a while for the carrier pigeon to fly over to Spain to be fair.

Around the same area, 30 million-ish, not fecking 80 or 60 million as being reported.
Bale is worth £60m if thats what Tottenham are willing to sell him for and its what a club wants to pay for him.

How on earth could you argue otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.