Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone enlighten me and tell me exactly how we know for definite that United have bid for him? There is nothing official, just reporters and a couple of newspapers claiming we have. Pretty much the same people who said Thiago was inbound to us. We may well have made an offer but the point I was making is that there is many people getting all excited again about what is currently speculation. I hope we have made a bid but for the reasons LR7 made, and I highlighted, I can't see him leaving Barca.

You can never know for definite, but the sources that are reporting it are of the very highest credibility. Most of these sources didn't say a thing on Thiago to United.

Seems very strange to me that we didn't enquire first, now that Barcelona have come out and said they are not selling Fabregas..

Where are you getting this from and not posting it in here?

It seems that as usual the ship had already sailed. The best available CM had already moved clubs, Moutinho, Thiago, Fernandinho etc. I wonder why we're insisting on Fabregas to be honest. Barca wont sell and the player simply doesn't want to come. It would be better to aim on realistic targets, players such as Erikson, Mccarthy, Ander Herrera, Banega or Matic who are still available.

The situation is cock up in the minds of the fans, as on the pitch we won the title last year. We have won it thrice in the last 5 years. The two times we lost - one was by one point and second time was on goal difference.

With the retirement of Scholes, Fletcher's continued illness, Anderson's inability to stay fit and Giggs dual role there is a need for midfielders. And so far the signs are that the club are working on fulfilling that need. Though there is unusual moaning from a bunch of posters on here. Which is baffling to say the least. If we bid for a player they aren't happy, if don't bid they are miserable. :wenger:

I quoted you on the previous post though the rant was on comments in general.

o Jesus...another one...yeah our midfield was fine last year.

now where is the ignore button .

Buying time from whom? Oafs on the internet and Redcafe?

This thread is amazing. A harbinger to the misery if anything goes amiss with a new manager at the helm.

Moyes can't win, can he? If he bid for a top player - its a PR excercise to fool the precious fans. If he misses out on top talent - he is not a fancy foreign manager. If we buy top talent and don't win - he is not good enough, I told you so.

I already feel bad for him. He'll have to go unbeaten and win a treble to stand any chance. The poor fecker.

The mods should be wise and delete the " RAWK goes into meltdown thread". As there is a chance that this place will become worse in the next few months.

I agree its ridiculous to get on Moyes' back...I just feel a lot of people are hugely sceptical about United's approach in the transfer market. Until there are 2 top class midfielders added to the squad without fuss, then those concerns are valid for me.

It seems that as usual the ship had already sailed. The best available CM had already moved clubs, Moutinho, Thiago, Fernandinho etc. I wonder why we're insisting on Fabregas to be honest. Barca wont sell and the player simply doesn't want to come. It would be better to aim on realistic targets, players such as Erikson, Mccarthy, Ander Herrera, Banega or Matic who are still available.

Yeah, no big transfers happen after the middle of July. That's just the rule.

I'm betting £5 you've NEVER seen Thiago play yet are already dubbing him "the best available CM"

A smoke screen Ffs!? When was the last time anyone did a smokescreen bid? Do they even exist, not in any managers autobiography I've read have they been mentioned. Moyes was referring to fellani and not fabregas when he said we only go after the best players? Right..

I actually think Arsenal's bid for Suarez is one. It's a way for them to show Real they are pursuing other options than Higuain and won't be held to ransom, whilst at the same time pressuring Real into making a move for him themselves, thus paving the way for Higuain to be offloaded.

I think we need a venn diagram to see how many people who started off insisting a few years ago "We have no money" now say "it's a smoke screen".

I'd guess the overlap would be pretty huge.

Excellent post.

When Moyes was appointed, loads of people had concerns that Moyes won't have an higher ambition and will look for tried and tested Everton players. That has not happened till now. I'm encouraged by his start so far, plus the fact that he has briefed the reporters that he wants two midfielders- one a dm and other a goalscoring midfielder is also encouraging.

Baines?

Yeah maybe. Or maybe we've put in a bid for him.

Unrealistic I know because.....midifield...glazers..muppets..."lol logic"....and everything else.

Maybe we have put in a bid, the chances of getting him are small though.

I agree its ridiculous to get on Moyes' back...I just feel a lot of people are hugely sceptical about United's approach in the transfer market. Until there are 2 top class midfielders added to the squad without fuss, then those concerns are valid for me.

Why should we be skeptical, mate? Do we think that this is some devious plan to spite us on our own face? You think that the club lacks ambition? Do you think it will be in anyone's interest if slide down the table? Why wouldn't we want to improve? What is the reason for this skepticism?

I can understand Arsenal fans being skeptical of their dealing in the transfer market but us, the fans of a team which has kept on winning despite our "cock-ups" need to have a tad more patience.

Honestly, I assumed you boys would be on it before anyone else, I read it in my local paper 'The Metro'... sauce below..

Quote 'The player is not transferable'

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/15/manch...fter-missing-out-on-thiago-alcantara-3882706/

That's the first I heard, in future post everything, you won't ever be greeted with a chorus of "thanks for bringing us brand new information" or anything like that if its already been posted. We're far too classy a bunch to do that.

Maybe we have put in a bid, the chances of getting him are small though.

Says?

Do you not think Manchester United would take time to consider how realistically successful the bid would be before making it and then leaking it to every major news agency in the country?

I know people are loathed to give the club credit at the best of times but these basic checks have surely happened.

I'm also sure we sent a fax or an email with it all written down rather than burp it over the phone with a drunk pensioner singing 'Knees up Mother Brown' in the background.

We're a professional football club. Not some stoned teens in their bedroom who came up with the idea of bidding of Fabregas after inventing the concept of the space-fork.

Hunter says no bid has been made. Doesn't he count as a sky source?

Honestly, I assumed you boys would be on it before anyone else, I read it in my local paper 'The Metro'... sauce below..

Quote 'The player is not transferable'

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/15/manch...fter-missing-out-on-thiago-alcantara-3882706/

Oh well that's the death knell for any transfer "he's not available".

Unless the response is "Yes please take us off our hands, we're willing to pay for postage" these transfers never happen. In a similar way a vote of confidence means it's next to impossible for a board to fire their manager.

That's the first I heard, in future post everything, you won't ever be greeted with a chorus of "thanks for bringing us brand new information" or anything like that if its already been posted. We're far too classy a bunch to do that.

:lol: I wasn't worried about the chorus greeting GM, more hesitant to repost what I assumed had been dragged through Redcafe for hours, you boys are on it usually.
Oh well that's the death knell for any transfer "he's not available".

Unless the response is "Yes please take us off our hands, we're willing to pay for postage" these transfers never happen. In a similar way a vote of confidence means it's next to impossible for a board to fire their manager.

In all honesty, I would expect them to say as much, that way if we come back with a higher offer so be it, but at the same time Fabregas feel's wanted if we don't..

Says?

Do you not think Manchester United would take time to consider how realistically successful the bid would be before making it and then leaking it to every major news agency in the country?

I know people are loathed to give the club credit at the best of times but these basic checks have surely happened.

I'm also sure we sent a fax or an email with it all written down rather than burp it over the phone with a drunk pensioner singing 'Knees up Mother Brown' in the background.

We're a professional football club. Not some stoned teens in their bedroom who came up with the idea of bidding of Fabregas after inventing the concept of the space-fork.

That makes sense, I am sceptical because we don't do business like that we never have. Barca may want to sell (I still doubt this) but Fabregas coming here? I don't see that. It would short sighted of them to sell after losing Thiago, I would love us to sign him but i'm very confident it won't happen. Bidding for a player of Fabregas' raises morale temporarily amongst the fans, it only really matters if we sign him.

If Real were to bid 50 million for Bale would that mean Tottenham suddenly want to sell? It serves as a signal of intent without actually signing anybody.

If Fergie had tried to sign Fabregas, would you still say he's being cautious?
It depends on the circumstances. I would back Moyes more if he really went bold with his signings. One thing Fergie had was he would gamble and sure sometimes he didn't get it right but he was always there to rectify his own errors. Moyes being cautious with safe signings doesn't want to shake the boat but I think he needs to make it clear his vision which will be best for him and United.

That makes sense, I am sceptical because we don't do business like that we never have. Barca may want to sell (I still doubt this) but Fabregas coming here? I don't see that. It would short sighted of them to sell after losing Thiago, I would love us to sign him but i'm very confident it won't happen. Bidding for a player of Fabregas' raises morale temporarily amongst the fans, it only really matters if we sign him.

If Real were to bid 50 million for Bale would that mean Tottenham suddenly want to sell? It serves as a signal of intent without actually signing anybody.

Would they bid for Bale if he didnt want to move?

o Jesus...another one...yeah our midfield was fine last year.

now where is the ignore button .

The defense in the first half of the season and the wingers for the entire season were bigger problems. But yeah, let's blame the midfield as everyone else is doing so. :rolleyes:

Did you find the ignore button? I did.

I don't think the signing will happen, and at the same time, it is a pretty weird move from the clubs perspective, letting it go public, bidding an amount that they'd never accept. The former is just not the way we do things at all and it does lead me to believe there's a higher agenda here than getting Fabregas.

On the other hand, if they don't get him now, the fans won't be happy. When you look at the activity from most other big clubs so far in comparison to ours, it's already quite irritating given our obvious flaws and this will only further irritate.

I love how all of a sudden we were never in for Thiago and we actually wanted Fabregas, from the same people who 3 weeks ago were adamant we where.

I just don't see this ending well for us, I am in the smokescreen/distraction camp. I could be way off but the only way I see this happening is if we have had some sort of encouragement to make a bid in the first place, whether it be from Barca or from the Fabregas camp and I doubt both.
Fabregas has said repeatedly he wants to stay and fight for his place and with them selling Thiago his chances of more regular football have increased with the sale of Thiago.
Barca have just sold one of their better options in midfield and I think they would like to have kept him but because of the release clause they had no leverage to do so, would they really want to lose another top player in that position? I don't think so.
Also Arsenal have the first option on him don't they? If we knew something from either camp surely they would too and I am pretty sure they would welcome him back with open arms if they thought he was available.
I am not normally one for conspiracy theories but I honestly believe that this very public bid which is out of sorts for us is just to try and appease the fans (look, we are trying to sign top players) but knowing full well that the bid will be knocked back, it will be interesting to see if the bid is knocked back whether we follow up on it or we just drop it and move on.
It would surprise me one bit if when the player run out for the first game of the season we will see fellaini running out with them too, I hope I am wrong.

Would they bid for Bale if he didnt want to move?

Yes why not it is a signal of intent they made a move for Neymar who was Barca bound already. Teams don't only bid for players they know they will get. Starting offer is way too low imo.

The defense in the first half of the season and the wingers for the entire season were bigger problems. But yeah, let's blame the midfield as everyone else is doing so. :rolleyes:

Did you find the ignore button? I did.

Our midfield was "fine" last year because we had Carrick in it, who was at times a one man midfielder whilst Jones wandered around the pitch aimlessly. Everyone knows without him we'd have been in deep, deep trouble last season, we were very lucky that he had his first mostly injury free season in years. Really it was a crazy decision to leave ourselves so completely reliant on a singular midfielder and we just got very, very lucky. Let's not forget that the season before that we didn't even have any available midfielders at times and were actually forced to bring one out of retirement.

Doesn't sound like someone who said we haven't made a bid.

"@BumperGraham: @Messcotti @cesc4official Currently checking with FCB but United say they have bid this morning"

"@BumperGraham: I'll state it again Paul @RonnieIrani1 was tipping United to bid for Cesc as early as first days of June @paulfletcher67 #ontheball"

It depends on the circumstances. I would back Moyes more if he really went bold with his signings. One thing Fergie had was he would gamble and sure sometimes he didn't get it right but he was always there to rectify his own errors. Moyes being cautious with safe signings doesn't want to shake the boat but I think he needs to make it clear his vision which will be best for him and United.

Fair enough :) I think Moyes will be doing more of the bold stuff in the future, but its completely understandable if he chose to be safe in his first year here.

I don't give a crap what Hunter says, if the PA and BBC claim we have made a bid then that's good enough for me. Doesn't mean we'll get our man obviously, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.