Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how all of a sudden we were never in for Thiago and we actually wanted Fabregas, from the same people who 3 weeks ago were adamant we where.

Have we ever not been interested in Fabregas? Its not new we just kept getting told by our Spanish Experts (who have got every English transfer wrong this summer) that its not on. So we've been anti muppet.

Decent bid, people claiming he's worth over 40 million pounds are having a laugh. Maximum 30 million pound player.

Decent bid, people claiming he's worth over 40 million pounds are having a laugh. Maximum 30 million pound player.

Considering the fees going around this Summer, £40m would probably be about right for one of the top 5 midfielders in the world who is still 26.

I find it hilarious that people are guessing what Barca are going to do and what Fabregas thinks.

We're not going to make a bid for a player we don't think we might be able to get, beyond that we have no idea.

Considering the fees going around this Summer, £40m would probably be about right for one of the top 5 midfielders in the world who is still 26.

PSG and Monaco can pay all they want for their players. For me, he's around 25 to 30 million. So far, we are the only buyers, so Barca cannot expect astronomical prices. We're not the usual overpaying club like PSG/Madrid/Barca etc.

Consistently reached double figures for goals and assists in midfield at Arsenal, and has done the same for Barca. £40 million is probably the right price for what he can bring.

I started listening to that twat Hunter on Talkshite this morning but he was talking bollocks. Brazil asked him a reasonable & straight question about his wife & child being based in London & instead of saying yes they live in London or no they live with with him in Barcelona, he said not at the moment, they're on holiday. What a fecking twat! I'm going on holiday next month, does that mean I no longer live in this country?

He doesn't know shit.

Consistently reached double figures for goals and assists in midfield at Arsenal, and has done the same for Barca. £40 million is probably the right price for what he can bring.

But he's been inconsistent for practically all of his time at Barca (been played out of position, not fitting in etc). If Rooney's value has dropped because "he's been shit", why hasn't Fabregas' value dropped?

Our midfield was "fine" last year because we had Carrick in it, who was at times a one man midfielder whilst Jones wandered around the pitch aimlessly. Everyone knows without him we'd have been in deep, deep trouble last season, we were very lucky that he had his first mostly injury free season in years. Really it was a crazy decision to leave ourselves so completely reliant on a singular midfielder and we just got very, very lucky. Let's not forget that the season before that we didn't even have any available midfielders at times and were actually forced to bring one out of retirement.

What we didn't have is two legitimate starters. The midfield was fine as a sum of parts. Carrick was the constant. Cleverley was very good until the Real game. Anderson played his part in the cup games. Giggs and Jones did their bit in some others. As a whole we weren't catastrophic as a lot of posters make it sound.

You think it was crazy but Sir Alex didn't and he won the title. Is it possible that may be he knew more than you do?

There is nothing to suggest that Scholes was forced out of retirement.

But he's been inconsistent for practically all of his time at Barca (been played out of position, not fitting in etc). If Rooney's value has dropped because "he's been shit", why hasn't Fabregas' value dropped?

Tbh, as much as it's said about his game time. 48 appearances in both seasons. 15 goals in his 1st, 14 in his 2nd and then you have 20 and 12 assists. So for all the talk about him not fitting in, hardly getting any game time, not playing in the big games, being played out of position, he's done well!

And tbh, he would walk into any midfield in the world apart from one with Xavi and Iniesta as options.

So as inconstant as he may of been (he hasn't) I think most clubs would kill for a midfielder who gets those kind of figures.

What we didn't have is two legitimate starters. The midfield was fine as a sum of parts. Carrick was the constant. Cleverley was very good until the Real game. Anderson played his part in the cup games. Giggs and Jones did their bit in some others. As a whole we weren't catastrophic as a lot of posters make it sound.

You think it was crazy but Sir Alex didn't and he won the title. Is it possible that may be he knew more than you do?

There is nothing to suggest that Scholes was forced out of retirement.

Such a simplistic view to take. "We won the title so our midfield was fine and we're great and have no problems, hip-hoor-fecking-ay for Man Utd". If you can't see how flawed that midfield was (especially in contrast to other elite Euro clubs) then you're kidding yourself because of the fact that we won the PL.

I've seen people use that excuse for every position, "our wingers obviously played their part cause we won the title", "our defenders did their job cause we won the title". Maybe, just maybe it's not quite that simple, and even if you stand by the fact that our midfield was fine last season, SAF being the stubborn man he is and not buying any midfielders cause he couldn't find the right one or whatever, is now having a negative impact on our new manager as seen by this seemingly quite desperate bid of Fabregas.

Nothing inconsistent about his statistics at Barca, especially as he only played around 20% of his games in his favoured position. he'd also basically solve most of our midfield problems and would be worth £40m for that alone, in my opinion.

Hunter says no bid has been made. Doesn't he count as a sky source?

Hunter is always talking bollox. Always claiming to be ITK, but never really is. If I ever get enough time I'm going to record his ramblings and replay them at the end of a season and point out all the times it is talking turkey.

Such a simplistic view to take. "We won the title so our midfield was fine and we're great and have no problems, hip-hoor-fecking-ay for Man Utd". If you can't see how flawed that midfield was (especially in contrast to other elite Euro clubs) then you're kidding yourself because of the fact that we won the PL.

I've seen people use that excuse for every position, "our wingers obviously played their part cause we won the title", "our defenders did their job cause we won the title". Maybe, just maybe it's not quite that simple, and even if you stand by the fact that our midfield was fine last season, SAF being the stubborn man he is and not buying any midfielders cause he couldn't find the right one or whatever, is now having a negative impact on our new manager as seen by this seemingly quite desperate bid of Fabregas.

What does that even mean? You think you, who knows nothing and posts on a football forum know about the bid more than the people who made the bid? Terrific.

It was not a simplistic view as it is a fact.

Fabregas was considered one of the world's very best players when he signed for Barca. Honestly, he would be an amazing signing. I am surprised at how quickly some people have forgotten his obvious quality.

I see that Barca has said that he is not for sale. Recall that Wayne Rooney, according to our manager, is also not for sale.

Before we put in the bid, I rated our chances of getting Fabregas at about nil. There was no need to test the water; we may as well have tried to put in a bid for Messi. The fact that we actually HAVE expressed an interest tells me that either: (a) we are being incredibly, hideously stupid, or (b) there is something going on behind the scenes either between us and Fabregas or between us and Barca or maybe among all three parties that makes us think that we could get him. Take your pick.

What does that even mean? You think you, who knows nothing and posts on a football forum know about the bid more than the people who made the bid? Terrific.

:lol: you're quite the condescending fecker aren't you?

There's nothing factual about it, it's your opinion that our midfield was fine, it's my opinion that it's not. Saying "our midfield was fine cause we won the title" is only part "fact", i.e. us winning the title.

EDIT: Also, ignoring my entire post and just going "it's fact" is hardly convincing.

Haven't Barca and Cesc already said he's not going anywhere this year?

Xavi has at best a year or two at the helm of midfield for them...Cesc is not an absolute idiot to want away at a time when he could be making huge strides there.

Whoever said this is a desperate bid is probably not far off the mark, but I have a feeling this is a smokescreen for another target.

He is better than Neymar. Should he be worth more than 50m?
Given hes possibly the 4th or 5th best central midfielder around, saying 30 million pounds max is daft. 30 million is a good bid course, but fabregas is a top top player. In today's market it's totally fathomable that he'd go for more.

I haven't seen much of Neymar so I can comment on him.

Haven't Barca and Cesc already said he's not going anywhere this year?

Xavi has at best a year or two at the helm of midfield for them...Cesc is not an absolute idiot to want away at a time when he could be making huge strides there.

Whoever said this is a desperate bid is probably not far off the mark, but I have a feeling this is a smokescreen for another target.
I can't see it happening either. It would leave barca short on numbers in midfield which given the way they play would be pure madness.

What a daft response. What part of the word "seemingly" did you not understand?

:lol: you're quite the condescending fecker aren't you?

There's nothing factual about it, it's your opinion that our midfield was fine, it's my opinion that it's not. Saying "our midfield was fine cause we won the title" is only part "fact", i.e. us winning the title.

:lol: Come on, Cina. You know I got mad love for you.

The posts since yesterday have peeved me. So much so that I now think that maybe TN is the best poster around here. (And we all know that is not right)

The bid has been dismissed for some weird reasons. Earlier the gripe was that we don't go for "worldclass" players and now that we have made a bid every reason is being spouted to deem it frivolous. It boggles my mind what do some fans want.

We as fans, both you and I, we hardly know much about the transfer dealings. I am unable to see why this has been suggested as a desperate bid or a pathetic PR exercise. I don't get complaining about transfers from fans of a club that has dominated English football for so long and has been one of most successful clubs in the champions league over the last two decades. Boggles my mind.

I guess its time to take a break. No point getting all worked up on a forum. See you on August 17th.

Why should we be skeptical, mate? Do we think that this is some devious plan to spite us on our own face? You think that the club lacks ambition? Do you think it will be in anyone's interest if slide down the table? Why wouldn't we want to improve? What is the reason for this skepticism?

I can understand Arsenal fans being skeptical of their dealing in the transfer market but us, the fans of a team which has kept on winning despite our "cock-ups" need to have a tad more patience.

Because the season is a few weeks away and Norwich City have done better business than we have.
Because all our major domestic and European rivals have done plenty of terrific business already
Because we missed out on a major continental target again
Because we appear to want to continue dictating terms in a sellers market - Baines
Because we no longer have the assuredness of Ferguson at the helm

Just a few there right or wrong...I see what I see and until I see otherwise I remain skeptical.

There's no devious plan, I'm not even sure there is a real plan in the transfer market this summer. Yes I actually do feel the club on occasion lacks ambition in the market. Of all the recent signings perhaps only De Gea showed a true willingness to snuff out one of the worlds best young players for a big sum. And even then there was no direct competition. Van Persie was a gift really who took no convincing, we just showed Arsenal the money, similarly Kagawa. Great signings sure but didn't require massive ambition to capture them.

I'm a fairly patient person but I'm running out of patience in this window. The simple fact is our midfield situation is a weakness, and could potentially become worse as the season progresses. If our pursuit of Fabregas has some foundation I will congratulate the club when they deliver him to Old Trafford. If however this drags on and is ultimately fruitless, leaving us pissing about on deadline day, or worse not signing any midfielder at all, then the skepticism shall be proved correct.

What does a smokescreen achieve? Just for shits and giggles? It's not going to lower fellanis buy out clause now is it

Thiago - General consensus was it was on, release clause so no prob with Barca, money was OK, player happy to come - result - FAIL

Fabregas - General consensus - its not on - No agreement with Barca, bid too low, player wants to stay - result - ??????

Its ON!

:lol: Come on, Cina. You know I got mad love for you.

The posts since yesterday have peeved me. So much so that I now think that maybe TN is the best poster around here. (And we all know that is not right)

The bid has been dismissed for some weird reasons. Earlier the gripe was that we don't go for "worldclass" players and now that we have made a bid every reason is being spouted to deem it frivolous. It boggles my mind what do some fans want.

We as fans, both you and I, we hardly know much about the transfer dealings. I am unable to see why this has been suggested as a desperate bid or a pathetic PR exercise. I don't get complaining about transfers from fans of a club that has dominated English football for so long and has been one of most successful clubs in the champions league over the last two decades. Boggles my mind.

I guess its time to take a break. No point getting all worked up on a forum. See you on August 17th.

I actually completely agree with you that people on here can't be happy either way and do tend to see the negative on any transfer on here, however my "seemingly desperate" part wasn't meant to be a negative about the transfer, I'm happy we're going for a player as good as Fabregas but nobody can deny that from the outside it does come across as a bit of an odd one, because he recently said he's happy at Barca, they've already sold another midfielder, and we're doing it the day after Thiago signed for Bayern. There are lots of conspicuous things about this bid, but I most certainly don't know more than the people in our club nor have I claimed to (hence the "seemingly" part), however forums are for discussions and I don't see anything wrong with us on the outside speculating on the transfer itself.

Anyway, our debate was mostly about our midfield last season, which is off topic, and we'll just have to agree to disagree about it.

I don't really understand the people who believe our interest in Fabregas (and actually making a bid for him) to be an elaborate smokescreen.

Not saying that isn't the case, because ultimately, who on earth knows the inner workings of our club? But we would certainly not come out of it looking good, bidding for a top midfielder knowing that it won't be accepted as a "smokescreen" to sign another player.

For one, it makes us look incapable of signing our main targets. It also makes it publicly apparent that the midfielder we end up with was not our first choice, which is not a vote of confidence in that player at all and he starts of his career at United on the wrong foot. So we come out of the whole "smokescreen" ploy looking incapable, making our eventual signing look like 2nd or 3rd choice and also painting a bad image of the club as we almost purposefully were trying to destabilise a player and his club.

For all of the above (and more), I can't see any sense in the "smokescreen" theory.

Honestly, I assumed you boys would be on it before anyone else, I read it in my local paper 'The Metro'... sauce below..

Quote 'The player is not transferable'

http://metro.co.uk/2013/07/15/manch...fter-missing-out-on-thiago-alcantara-3882706/

The trouble is that they haven't told the Spanish (or catalan) press that. The nearest we've got is that United haven't made a formal offer (on Cope, so a semi-official source probably) and it, "would be very difficult," from AS. Neither of which sounds like a "clear off and stop being stupid" message.

Meanwhile here's your chance to vote on what should happen to Cesc.
http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20130...ted-por-30-millones-de-euros_54377830447.html

Not really, depends if they can get Silva from PSG and how much for. They should have plenty of crash remaining to then go after a CM to replace Fabregas.
Why would they want to replace fabregas? Who will they get who is better?

I don't really understand the people who believe our interest in Fabregas (and actually making a bid for him) to be an elaborate smokescreen.

Not saying that isn't the case, because ultimately, who on earth knows the inner workings of our club? But we would certainly not come out of it looking good, bidding for a top midfielder knowing that it won't be accepted as a "smokescreen" to sign another player.

For one, it makes us look incapable of signing our main targets. It also makes it publicly apparent that the midfielder we end up with was not our first choice, which is not a vote of confidence in that player at all and he starts of his career at United on the wrong foot. So we come out of the whole "smokescreen" ploy looking incapable, making our eventual signing look like 2nd or 3rd choice and also painting a bad image of the club as we almost purposefully were trying to destabilise a player and his club.

For all of the above (and more), I can't see any sense in the "smokescreen" theory.

We have first rights on buying Cesc, and unless he explicitly states he wants to move to Utd (which i don't think will happen), you don't have a chance if we know he's available. This is taing the wild assumption that he does want to leave, or that Barca want to sell, which i severely doubt.

As for the smokescreen, you're right. I believe that Utd have discovered that life in the transfer market without Ferguson is a little harder. Not that he landed all his targets, of course.

All in all, I predict your lot coming out of this with a lot of egg on your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.