Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
The distance between the two teams was far bigger than their places would suggest though, in general I'd say both managers have done a decent job recently. I know we like to laugh at Wenger's inability to win trophies recently but truth is with the emergence of extra rich clubs like City and Chelsea it's impossible for a club with limited resources to overcome all obstacles on the way to the title. They still managed to look competitive about twice in the last half a decade. Moyes is yet to prove he has what it takes to win trophies too.

Yeah, I basically agree with this. I know they haven't been pushing for the Premier League for a while now but they are still in that top four. We all know about Arsenal's transfer policy (or lack of as the case may be), but as you say, it's practically impossible for clubs with relatively limited resources to compete with the likes of City and Chelsea, and they haven't had that 'winning mentality' for a while now. Seems to me as though they have fully got to grips with the situation and where they are at in relation to the clubs around them.

Whatever happens though, they can't afford to drop out of that top four. Like people have said, I would much rather United were competing with Arsenal than City and Chelsea,and I respect them more as a Football club, but all they have it all on there hands to make the top four this season. Can't see them finishing ahead of United, Chelsea or City, and with the likes of Spurs pushing for a Champions League spot, they've got a job on there hands. Only takes one poor season..

I don't claim we would have won more than you.

You said the case could be made that you'd have matched or bettered us over the last decade, if not for the sugar daddy clubs. A suggestion that without City or Chelsea, you'd have won at least as much as us, and maybe more, no?

Honestly can't see why Fabregas would choose to play for Moyes. Just can't see why he would rate him as a manager compared to having worked with the likes of Guardiola and Wenger before. I mean you can talk all the bollocks of Wenger not winning a trophy, but consistently making sure Arsenal qualified for the Champions League is a great feat all things considered.

Lets just give up then, eh? We're never going to sign anyone because they don't want to play for Moyes. Bloody Moyes, eh?

We are more likely to be signing Fellaini than Fabregas. If we were really going to get him, I doubt the bid would have even been mentioned until right before we actually signed him.

All this talk about Moyes's record vs the big teams.

In the last six years the average league finish for Everton has been 6th.

In the six years prior to his taking over it was 15th

Lets just give up then, eh? We're never going to sign anyone because they don't want to play for Moyes. Bloody Moyes, eh?

Well if suddenly Fabregas is everyone, then yeah sure. But hopefully we have other targets on paper.

The next person to mention Fellaini or Osman in this thread should spend an entire day as Top's slave.

I read somewhere Barca would accept £35m for him, not sure if that is euros or gbp.

Is he worth that much?

I don't think United will sign Fabregas by any stretch, but I agree that if this "will he want to play under Moyes" nonsense will come up with everu big, foreign signing, then United might as well not bother as none of them will want to play under Moyes

Yeah, I basically agree with this. I know they haven't been pushing for the Premier League for a while now but they are still in that top four. We all know about Arsenal's transfer policy (or lack of as the case may be), but as you say, it's practically impossible for clubs with relatively limited resources to compete with the likes of City and Chelsea, and they haven't had that 'winning mentality' for a while now. Seems to me as though they have fully got to grips with the situation and where they are at in relation to the clubs around them.

Whatever happens though, they can't afford to drop out of that top four. Like people have said, I would much rather United were competing with Arsenal than City and Chelsea,and I respect them more as a Football club, but all they have it all on there hands to make the top four this season. Can't see them finishing ahead of United, Chelsea or City, and with the likes of Spurs pushing for a Champions League spot, they've got a job on there hands. Only takes one poor season..

I also prefered our late 90s and early 2000s competition with Arsenal. I'd actually even as far as saying that I'd prefer competing for trophies with Liverpool than plastic clubs like Chelsea or especially City.

They could probably get away with spending slightly more money now that stadium has been almost paid for but as you said, it'd only take one bad season for them to be left with no CL money and financial trouble. They are stuck in a situation where they cannot compete for trophies and have to sell players but ultimately cannot replace them properly because they're not sure they'll be able to afford it mid and long term.

I don't think United will sign Fabregas by any stretch, but I agree that if this "will he want to play under Moyes" nonsense will come up with everu big, foreign signing, then United might as well not bother as none of them will want to play under Moyes

Well it probably will stop once we sign a big foreign signing. I could see Thiago playing for Moyes to be fair and it was understandably when his old boss came calling that he turned us down. I could also see Ronaldo playing for us again, so it's not really to do with a big name signing. Moyes has it still to prove.

Rather Fabregas already has a strong connection with another club in the league and with another manager. He has also had a run-in with Moyes before, so understandably he could be hesitant. I don't believe in going after a player who won't want to join, unless the club has had inside info which they might.

I can't handle the conspiracy theories. If your opinion is that we would make a bid for any other reason than that we want to buy the player, you need a new one.

I read somewhere Barca would accept £35m for him, not sure if that is euros or gbp.

Is he worth that much?

Yes he is in my view. Outstanding player, proven in the premier league. A signing you couldn't go wrong with.

I also prefered our late 90s and early 2000s competition with Arsenal. I'd actually even as far as saying that I'd prefer competing for trophies with Liverpool than plastic clubs like Chelsea or especially City.

They could probably get away with spending slightly more money now that stadium has been almost paid for but as you said, it'd only take one bad season for them to be left with no CL money and financial trouble. They are stuck in a situation where they cannot compete for trophies and have to sell players but ultimately cannot replace them properly because they're not sure they'll be able to afford it mid and long term.
That's what happens when you find yourselves stepping down a level. They aren't the first to experience it, and they certainly won't be the last. They are in a position where they aren't going to seriously compete for the Championship, and although they've got Europe, again, they aren't in a position to put in a serious challenge.

As you say, financially they are able to put in a bit more into the recruitment side of things, and as long as they still have Europe, they have a chance of attracting top players. Soon as they drop out of the Top Four things will start to get messy, and they can't allow that to happen, and the pressure on a club like Arsenal to deliver is always going to be huge. Huge season for them this.

Few twitter sources, and the talking heads on SSN seem to think we'll need to up the bid to at least £35 million before Barca even think about it.

Which to be fair, is probably a realistic price and tbh, he's probably worth that much. £25 million for a player who can consistantly get double figures in assists/goals in the premiership and la liga, i think we're just testing the waters with that bid.

Imagine being able to sell Thiago and Fabregas and still have an amazing midfield...:drool:

We know the bid went in. All we've had so far is rumours they're denying all knowledge. Some may say it's too low. I think they're considering it. I don't expect them to turn it down but as we haven't had an instant rejection to me indicates they've decided it's something they need to think about.

£26m is too low, and unlikely to tempt Barca. It sounds like us doing our usual due diligence routine, preparing for a long negotiation, determined not to pay a penny more than our 'valuation', which of course is sacrosanct, only for PSG to come in two days before the close of the window, and offer Barcelona the full asking price, and Fabregas to head for Ligue 1.

Why not make an offer that Barca might accept, and try to get it done?

Status
Not open for further replies.