Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
BBC Sport's Ben SmithFOOTBALL
Manchester United make a £25m offer for Barcelona and former Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
The offer is currently under consideration but is understood to be below the Spanish club's current valuation of the player.
While Fabregas is not pushing for a move, it is understood he is open to a move back to England and will be guided by whether Barcelona are prepared to accept an offer for him.

Cocks out?

This is our starting bid then? I take it we'll add another 10/15 to this?
I'm sure Barcelona if they sell, would take £40 for him, wouldn't they?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
£25m for Fabregas when they've just let Thiago to and need to keep him because their squad would get too short, nevermind he'd probably not want to come to United anyway. We're not going to get anywhere with this.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Didn't think so either, but we have a new manager now so things will be different then under Sir Alex and there will probably be a few things we'll see differently to how we've done stuff under Sir Alex.
So Moyes walks up the board and says what?

'right lads, I want to take the heat out of the whole ThiagON/OFF thing. Now this may not be the way things have been done up to now but I'm my own man, and I have my own way of doing things, and having considered the situation within the broader context of me being an arguably risky choice to appoint, I think the best approach here is to leak a makey upy story about a bid for Fabregas to the media. I honestly can't see any possible downsides to it as a course of action. Any questions?'

I just don't see it.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
Listen , this is my first experiment with Muppetism. I dont know all the rules yet!!
That's the beauty of it, there are no rules. The less logical and more nonsensical you are , the better.

Just think of Kermit waving his arms madly every time he sees a transfer story, act like that and you'll be just fine..

Hal9000

Timing is a bit crap on our part, i'm sure Barca may of considered it if they still had Thiago, but i doubt they will even entertain it now.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Basically. The agent's not going to tell us to piss off, in case Barca do tell Farbegas he's no longer needed. He'll let it play out by giving us enough encouragement to bid but not so much that he'll burn his bridges with Barca. Pretty standard stuff, I'd imagine.
Yeah.
And if Sky are right that this is coming from "Spanish sources" then it would be good news as it is less likely to be a publicity stunt where United plant the news to the local journalists like Arsenal do.

Nothing will come from this, but if United got a green light from Fabregas' agent then what should they have done? Ignore it as they think it might not be sincere, or take a chance on it and bid for him?

NinjaFletch

£25m is obiviously a negotiating posistion.

Test the waters see what Barca say and if they don't rebuff us out right then it's on.

Ekeke

Would say this is half as likely as the Thiago transfer which was unlikely... But whatever, let the muppets go nuts. According to Valbuena's agent Barcelona were in contact with him and said that several of Barcelona's attackers would be moved on this summer. They've let Villa go, its more than likely they just meant Tello on top of that (either loan or permanent) but I guess with the way Barcelona have used him Fabregas could be in that category. Get your hopes up for nothing why dont you

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Got this PM from ralph250 of the newbies.

according to Matt Law of sunday mirror, it's 50% on any profit. Also

"My understanding of Arsenal buy-back clause on Cesc is that it only becomes applicable if Cesc informs Barca he wants to return to Arsenal"

"If Cesc tells Barca he wants Arsenal then there is a set fee of about £25m. If Cesc doesn't ask for Arsenal move then any club can buy him"

https://twitter.com/Matt_Law_SM
"If Cesc tells Barca he wants Arsenal then there is a set fee of about £25m. If Cesc doesn't ask for Arsenal move then any club can buy him"

https://twitter.com/Matt_Law_SM

Commadus

This makes no sense. We were not interested in Thiago but wanted Fabregas. Barca will not sell they will be too short.

This seems like bull from journalists.

Brophs

The One and Only
25 million? Even if this is a PR move, 25 million is laughable for a player of his quality and his situation at Barca. He doesn't want to go, they just sold Thiago who he was competing with for first option from bench, and all the Arsenal business. Although, apparently the 25 million price for Arsenal only comes into play if he asks to return to them specifically (forget what journalist I read it from).

Hal9000

Also who the feck keeps leaking these bids? Under Fergie i don't think we had these kind of "have bid for" stories. Now we've had two.

The Neviller

Doing an arsenal. Appeasing the fans after Thiago.
This makes no sense. How are we appeasing anyone if he doesn't come here? And if we are looking to appease fans, could we not just say we tried to sign Thiago? Explain how a bid for Fabregas, that isn't successful, makes up for not bidding for Thiago? Just bid for Thiago, if it's all about appeasing.

Ash_G

Well if people think they can buy Rooney for £25m than that's a fair starting point for Fabregas as well. Bit random this has become so public, would love it if we could. £25m is probably just the start point I'd imagine if it is true.

Stickles

It appears we've been somewhat 'open' about this, sort of official confirmation. It'd be unusual for this to happen if we didn't think we stood a chance.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Howard Nurse confirmed the bid acc. to the Twitter thread. I trust him

finneh

Do arsenal really get 50% of the transfer? This makes 0 sense to me, you don't purchase a player for £30m to say that you will be happy to give the selling club 50% of any future transfer. Makes 0 sense.

Usually clauses like that state 50% of profit, rather than 50% of the total. I think Rooney has a 25% sell on clause (meaning is he went for £35m, Everton would receive around £2m).

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Don't want and not going to happen

While their is a risk with any transfer you are insane to not want him.

What other CM has reached his levels in the PL in the last 7-8 years?

He is a much better punt that any other CM from abroad because of his proven PL ability.

Genius Me!

£25m for Fabregas when they've just let Thiago to and need to keep him because their squad would get too short, nevermind he'd probably not want to come to United anyway. We're not going to get anywhere with this.
They haven't let Thiago go yet. From what I hear, they all prefer Thiago to Fabregas so maybe they might try and convince Thiago to stay if they let go of Fabregas. Just hoping, I would love that, because you know it would piss off them shitc**ts over at bayernzone :lol: wishful thinking I know.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
So Moyes walks up the board and says what?

'right lads, I want to take the heat out of the whole ThiagON/OFF thing. Now this may not be the way things have been done up to now but I'm my own man, and I have my own way of doing things, and having considered the situation within the broader context of me being an arguably risky choice to appoint, I think the best approach here is to leak a makey upy story about a bid for Fabregas to the media. I honestly can't see any possible downsides to it as a course of action. Any questions?'

I just don't see it.
I find it hard to believe as well but there are a few things that point to it being a PR move to show we have money to spend. Only bidding 25 mil, the day after Thiago officially joins Bayern? Why didn't we do this before Thiago moved to Bayern, I'm sure Barca would have been more inclined to sell then given they would have more of a chance to keep Thiago in that case if Cesc was leaving.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
:lol: This will force some of you lot over the brink when it doesn't happen.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
How long does it usually take the clubs to respond, muppets?

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Maybe thats why it took Thiago so long to decide if he was going to Bayern...... Barca told him Cesc was on his way :eek:

Anduin

This is really, really weird, totally out of nowhere. There are only two options: Either we've already sounded out Fabregas and he is semi-open to a move if Barca tell him to get the feck out of Barcelona, or the club is doing a stunning PR exercise as the Thiago transfer hasn't materialised.

Genius Me!

Usually clauses like that state 50% of profit, rather than 50% of the total. I think Rooney has a 25% sell on clause (meaning is he went for £35m, Everton would receive around £2m).
Yeah that's what I thought, 50% of the fee makes no sense, but that's been cleared up with those tweets and the PM from ralph.

JP77

Nurse is a massive tit, but if he's reporting it now then it's pretty much true that we've made the bid.

The Thiago thread was bad enough but this one could be even more embarrassing. Already got people storming in saying shit like "No back up plan for Thiago! Desperate offer! All lies! Osman and Hibbert!". Every fecking transfer thread has to revert to people thinking they're in the know and trying to get in early with stuff so they can say "I TOLD YOU SO MUPPETS!".

Going to be another transfer thread ruined.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Also who the feck keeps leaking these bids? Under Fergie i don't think we had these kind of "have bid for" stories. Now we've had two.

The bids for RVP, Nasri, Moura, Hazard and Benzema were pretty much public knowledge. Sounds like the noises came from Spain first though.

Dante

Average bang
This will never happen. And I was one of those believing Thiago might still choose us right up until the last moment.

acnumber9

Trying to sign a top class midfielder is desperation? People on here are mental.

Status
Not open for further replies.