Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Not as far as I can see.

It's a longstanding rumour that Cesc was unhappy and that the Barca fans and board weren't exactly in love with him. Even while Guardiola was in charge they had a private detective reporting on him, because of "concerns" about his form and fitness.

But to bid now - after Thiago's sold - when it's a bigger deal for Barca? That's just strange.

In which position did Cesc play majority of his games last season? Attacking or midfield?

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Yeah but I'm sure United will have done their homework before, doubt they would just put in a bid without sounding them out. Does seem unlikely though now that they have lost Thiago, always thought it would be one or the other going, if anyone was gonna leave.
They haven't lost Thiago yet, he hasn't signed on the dotted line.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I was wandering through a Barcelona forum, I don't think it's the main one as it doesn't seem very active, but a post from June...

Juas juas, según un panfleto inglés, the sun, el United ofrecería 47 kilos por Cesc....es que si fuera así, se lo envolvía con papel de regalo, le ponía perfume y se lo llevaba a piola hasta el avión....joder ojalá...se que es una chorrada pero si lo hicieran, mira que habría posibilidades...Gundogan...o un central bueno de verdad...
Replying to a rumor regarding an offer of €47m from United. He said he'd wrap him in a paper with a ribbon, put perfume on it, and gladly take him to the airport so that they could sign a properly good CM such as Gundogan.

I wonder if this is the general outlook of Barcelona fans on Fabregas, and if that's the case it probably isn't so far fetched that Barcelona might want to get rid and get another midfielder on probably lower wages.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Why bidding for him if we know he doesn't want to leave his club?

Vasey20|13

Leela Prasad@theblcksheep 11m
If Fabregas moves to #MUFC, I will ask an #AFC fan to hold the ladder steady before I climb to the topmost rung and fart in his face.

Fin@HighburyFin 18m
If Fabregas joins United I will burn my Cesc shirt and film it for twitter.

Doug Nichols@TheTXI 30 May
If Fabregas returns to the EPL in a shirt that doesn't have a cannon on it, I'll officially be done with any concept of player loyalty.

I want this to happen so much for the above reasons.

Stickles

Can't understand this 'We're only bidding to appease the fans after missing out on Thiago' line.

Appease the fans? Have you met the Glazers?

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
You've been waiting 9 years to get rid of Rooney? So after he started his United career with a hat-trick, you were sat there thinking 'God I can't wait to get rid of this guy'?
Actually more than 9 years, didn't like him at Everton, didn't want us to sign him and will be glad to see him go.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm not keen on Cesc as a person but, in fairness, I always thought RVP was a bolshy sod despite admiring his brilliance. So, if Cesc plays for us, I'll forget that I once thought he was a gonk.

StuCol

Chimp
We'll do all the work the Wenger will say 'I want him' and he'll sign for Arsenal - Watch this space!

Bite!

The Neviller

I find it hard to believe as well but there are a few things that point to it being a PR move to show we have money to spend. Only bidding 25 mil, the day after Thiago officially joins Bayern? Why didn't we do this before Thiago moved to Bayern, I'm sure Barca would have been more inclined to sell then given they would have more of a chance to keep Thiago in that case if Cesc was leaving.
We may have been in discussion with Barca since before today.

SteveJ

Scout
Surely we've had some encouragement if we're taking the step of actually bidding?

Cina

£25m eh? Well, we are the kings of negotiation and not getting our man after these amazing negotiations.

"£25m"
"No
"Hmm, £25m + a few add ons"
"£40m"
"Too much, £25m"
"Ok, £35m"
"Nah, £25m"
"We're not going below £35m"
"Ok how about £30m"
"hmm, we'll settle for £32.5m."
"£31m and we have a deal"
"Ok £31m."
"... £25m"

Hal9000

Has not done it in a 2 man midfield on a cold night in stoke for at least two years now. Do not want.

Ainu

Wow this is surprising to say the least. We've all spent the last month thinking Thiago was our main target for the summer and now all of a sudden we're bidding for Fabregas. Can't say I'm not happy about it though! Whether we'll get him is another matter, but it's good to see we're in for him. 26M isn't a terrible starting bid, if we're willing to increase it by another 10-15M they'll have to start thinking about it. In the next few weeks we'll find out if Moyes means business.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I'm not keen on Cesc as a person but, in fairness, I always thought RVP was a bolshy sod despite admiring his brilliance. So, if Cesc plays for us, I'll forget that I once thought he was a gonk.
At least he is a midfielder...........if he scores against le Arse I may warm to him :)

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Something I find interesting..

If Barcelona got the bid and thought "Nah, feck off, not happening" - surely the first we'd here is "Barcelona reject bid" rather than hearing they're considering it. If they're considering it surely they feel there's something to consider?
Stop it, I'm getting way too optimistic and excited here!

Baxter

If Barca accept any bid, I'm pretty sure Arsenal have a £25m option.

Brophs

The One and Only
Something I find interesting..

If Barcelona got the bid and thought "Nah, feck off, not happening" - surely the first we'd here is "Barcelona reject bid" rather than hearing they're considering it. If they're considering it surely they feel there's something to consider?

There's no 'reject bid' button on a fax machine.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I want nothing more than to give peterstorey a profile picture of Cesc & RvP holding the premier league trophy aloft, in Utd shirts.

The Neviller

Can people with the opinion that this is a PR exercise please explain how not signing Fabregas makes up for not signing Thiago?

Cina

Wow this is surprising to say the least. We've all spent the last month thinking Thiago was our main target for the summer and now all of a sudden we're bidding for Fabregas. Can't say I'm not happy about it though! Whether we'll get him is another matter, but it's good to see we're in for him. 26M isn't a terrible starting bid, if we're willing to increase it by another 10-15M they'll have to start thinking about it. In the next few weeks we'll find out if Moyes means business.
I'm sure he was. It's hardly coincidence that we're now bidding for Fabregas after the Thiago saga ended.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Two things:

1) This is widely reported, and the BBC have gone with it as the lead story - it's clearly got legs (more so than the Thiago deal ever did, I might add).
2) Arsenal may have first refusal, but there's not a thing they can do if Cesc rejects them.

SteveJ

Scout
We could benefit from Barca's desire for Thiago Silva. It'll be down to Pizzagas, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.