Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Ignoring the first refusal aspect, I can't get my head around why would Barcelona want to sell Fabregas at this time. Not only will they need him even more next season, they don't stand to profit at all, having to give 50% of a resale back to Arsenal.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Any chance Barca need to shave their wage bill having brought Neymar in :confused:

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
We would never make a formal bid without talking to fabregas or his agent first.
Yes, this has got to be the case. Then again,agents are never going to tell clubs not to bid for their client. Its in their interests that their client is in demand even if only to argue for a better contract later.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Ah well, I may as well jump in the muppet deep end here with a theory.

United sell Rooney to Arsenal on the agreement that Arsenal drop their claim to Fabregas.
Why should we worry about Arsenal? It's one thing leaving Barcelona for man united, but then a complete different story leaving for arsenal. I know he loves the club, but so did RVP.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
If United want Fabregas they will have to pay a lot more than 30 million euros. That said the player actually has to want to leave Barcelona, which he doesn't as he has stated publically. Then you factor in that they have just sold Thiago, Xavi is 33 and you kind of get the picture.

But yes lets all congratulate the club for bidding for a player, it's really fantastic news.

The last sentence you are wrong.....I said the club should be focusing their attentions on realistic targets.
Do you really think United would court a player that isn't seen as a realistic target?

On the face of it as someone who isn't involved in football it might seem ridiculous but it may well be a case of us not knowing something that United/Barca/Fabregas do.

They don't just pick up the phone to any old club and offer a random fee for any old player because he's got a bit of a reputation, months and months of scouting reports and research goes into this. They probably do some form of Cost-Benefit analysis on it too.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Any chance Barca need to shave their wage bill having brought Neymar in :confused:
That could be an explanation, but have they got any other reliable player for the midfield? They can't go into a new season with just Busquets, Xavi or Iniesta.

Maroon Lucifer

Ignoring the first refusal aspect, I can't get my head around why would Barcelona want to sell Fabregas at this time. Not only will they need him even more next season, they don't stand to profit at all, having to give 50% of a resale back to Arsenal.

Rooney to the Arsenal makes sense now, doesn't it :)

rio's upper lip

Meh. Fabregas doesn't strike me as a guy who would be willing to do that to his old club.

We may have made a bid, but this one is never going to happen. I'll eat Mike Phelan's shorts if it does.

Bape

That could be an explanation, but have they got any other reliable player for the midfield? They can't go into a new season with just Busquets, Xavi or Iniesta.

Alex Song?

Werder Herzog

Sky's sources in Spain= Gollum Ballbag. Which means absoloutley 100% no truth in this. Move on to the Fellaini and Osman threads. Next.

Skywarden

They could always buy a new one.

The Neviller

Silly... Barca will now think they have our collective testes in the proverbial vice now .. looks desperate if its true.
What's desperate about making a bid for a player? We've no idea how far down the line we went first Thiago. For all we know it was never on, and Fabric gas has always been the target.

Our interest in Thiago was all a ruse to smoke out Bayern, get them bidding above the release clause to get the deal done, and at the request of Barca. In return they're letting us buy Fabregas. It's on.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
Didn't think so either, but we have a new manager now so things will be different then under Sir Alex and there will probably be a few things we'll see differently to how we've done stuff under Sir Alex.

In terms of the way we conduct our transfer business, I think we'll continue to operate in exactly the same way as before, despite the change of manager.

Amir

According to Sky the reports are coming from sources in Spain.
We've had the United reporters from all papers really pointing out within minutes we've offered 30m euro. None of them, I believe, wrote it's according to sources in Spain. They stated it as fact. They didn't read it on AS.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
It's the Spanish sources that are quoting English papers, not the other way around.

Genius Me!

Proud EE fan, 10k club member & NSFW crew member
Do arsenal really get 50% of the transfer? This makes 0 sense to me, you don't purchase a player for £30m to say that you will be happy to give the selling club 50% of any future transfer. Makes 0 sense.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
Thats what happens when your sat in a baking office looking like a wax sculpture, imagining United bumbling around the transfer market like a short-arsed kid who can't quite reach the really good toys on the top shelf.

:lol: Because that is what's really important.

There are plenty of tall boys going around these days. I suggest you climb one of their shoulders.

Seveneric

A bit sad that the club is going down the "make hopeless bids to appease the fans" route. The player doesn't want t come, I can't imagine Barcelona wanting to sell. Seems like such a waste of time. I'm sure with £30m, Wigan would sell McCarthy to United, he'll be an improvement on options and would be much more realistic and likely to come here.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
BBC Sport's Ben SmithFOOTBALL
Manchester United make a £25m offer for Barcelona and former Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
The offer is currently under consideration but is understood to be below the Spanish club's current valuation of the player.
While Fabregas is not pushing for a move, it is understood he is open to a move back to England and will be guided by whether Barcelona are prepared to accept an offer for him.

Cocks out?

Comsmit

Do you really think United would court a player that isn't seen as a realistic target?

On the face of it as someone who isn't involved in football it might seem ridiculous but it may well be a case of us not knowing something that United/Barca/Fabregas do.

They don't just pick up the phone to any old club and offer a random fee for any old player because he's got a bit of a reputation, months and months of scouting reports and research goes into this. They probably do some form of Cost-Benefit analysis on it too.
Seen as a realistic target by who....the manager, the board, Robin Van Persie?

Perhaps it's to test Barca's resolve....but I don't think it will be tested very far. Don't get me wrong I would love Fabregas, but I don't live in lala land. If it happens I will happily eat humble shit pie, so remind me off that when we present him to the world's media.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
BBC now reporting that we've bid 26m for him. That's way too quick.

Andrew~

I have Fabregas' autograph on a theatre ticket somewhere, so I completely support this deal so I don't have to feel guilty about having it. :smirk:

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
BBC Sport's Ben SmithFOOTBALL
Manchester United make a £25m offer for Barcelona and former Arsenal midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
The offer is currently under consideration but is understood to be below the Spanish club's current valuation of the player.
While Fabregas is not pushing for a move, it is understood he is open to a move back to England and will be guided by whether Barcelona are prepared to accept an offer for him.

Cocks out?
only for the last 45 mins!

Brophs

The One and Only
Yes, this has got to be the case. Then again,agents are never going to tell clubs not to bid for their client. Its in their interests that their client is in demand even if only to argue for a better contract later.

Basically. The agent's not going to tell us to piss off, in case Barca do tell Farbegas he's no longer needed. He'll let it play out by giving us enough encouragement to bid but not so much that he'll burn his bridges with Barca. Pretty standard stuff, I'd imagine.

Member 39557

Here we go again, all aboard the emotional transfer rollercoaster 2013 part 2.5

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Ah well, I may as well jump in the muppet deep end here with a theory.

United sell Rooney to Arsenal on the agreement that Arsenal drop their claim to Fabregas.
Why would we need to do that? If Cesc was available, would the lure of playing for Arsenal be greater than playing for a club which can pay him better and possibly a greater chance of winning trophies?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
25 million? Even if this is a PR move, 25 million is laughable for a player of his quality and his situation at Barca. He doesn't want to go, they just sold Thiago who he was competing with for first option from bench, and all the Arsenal business. Although, apparently the 25 million price for Arsenal only comes into play if he asks to return to them specifically (forget what journalist I read it from).

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
This is way more concrete than the Thiago thing though, bbc, sky etc all reporting we actually made a bid...

Rooney24

Why would we need to do that? If Cesc was available, would the lure of playing for Arsenal be greater than playing for a club which can pay him better and possibly a greater chance of winning trophies?
Listen , this is my first experiment with Muppetism. I dont know all the rules yet!!

Status
Not open for further replies.