Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir

Everyone seems to be reporting it. Why is it so open? Our bids are never so public. First Baines, now this.
I don't know about Baines. But we're not talking about a leak here. The club clearly informed all reporters. 24 hours after Thiago finally joined Bayern, I sense a PR exercise. And I'm sad to say it.

Baxter

Just can't see this happening after it has been leaked to every journo in Britain. :lol:

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'm going to skip this one, still hurting from Thiago.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
First of all, they just lost Thiago, and Fabregas was one of the main reasons for that. Secondly, Fabregas has already stated a few times that he doesn't want to leave Barca and is perfectly happy there. Arsenal also has first option for him, and according to reports would only have to pay half as much as we do for him (although I'm not sure how true this is). Doubt Cesc would want to come to United over Arsenal, but then again, we managed to get Van Persie last year so who knows.
Maybe something has changed between his cocksure statement last month and now. Maybe barca told him he wasn't that good for them, or he's too direct for them to play him in midfield, etc and now he is forced to change his mind.

Just playing the devil's advocate here.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Sky don't even have it on a yellow ticker.... cocks back in, but still semi.

Bape

So assume we get him, Fabregas>Thiago?

Of course he is, theres no competition at the moment. Especially given the fact Fabregas is proven in the deeper CM role in PL.

If that happens.. :drool:

Either way, good news on the fact that we are actively trying to sign genuine world class talents in midfield with Moyes. Maybe we'll try Modric and Khedira next, surely we'll sign one of them by the start of the season!

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Losing out on Thiago was not worrying. But a PR exercise like this, if that is what it is, would be of great concern as it means that maybe United don't have some good ideas left up their sleeve as I had hoped.

Bryan_Munich

Aka RichieRich12
First of all, they just lost Thiago, and Fabregas was one of the main reasons for that. Secondly, Fabregas has already stated a few times that he doesn't want to leave Barca and is perfectly happy there. Arsenal also has first option for him, and according to reports would only have to pay half as much as we do for him (although I'm not sure how true this is). Doubt Cesc would want to come to United over Arsenal, but then again, we managed to get Van Persie last year so who knows.
Don't think United are in the business of making offers for players they know they definitely cannot get.

Phil

Don't really get this at all. Arsenal have first refusal too.

Although, let's see if agent Robin > Agent Dave?

Bestie07

Not happening! First Barcelona will have to tell him that they don't need him, and even then there is no guarantee that he would want to leave. 50% of any fee goes to Arsenal I believe, and they have a first refusal too, so an equivalent bid from Arsenal is also automatically accepted. Thirdly Fabregas isn't the best mates with Moyes.

JB7

So assume we get him, Fabregas>Thiago?
In fairness it would have been fair to say Fabregas is currently a better player than Thiago even if we had signed Thiago. Thiago is very good player now with the potential to be incredible, Fabregas is excellent (and is proven in the England as well).

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Of course he is, theres no competition at the moment. Especially given the fact Fabregas is proven in the deeper CM role in PL.

If that happens.. :drool:

Either way, good news on the fact that we are actively trying to sign genuine world class talents in midfield with Moyes. Maybe we'll try Modric and Khedira next, surely we'll sign one of them by the start of the season!
If by "sign one of them" you mean "bid (or reported to have bid) on all of them" ...

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Do they have a need for him with Carzorla & Wilshire already? Maybe they've turned down the opportunity already?
Do you seriously think Arsenal would turn down their former captain and best player (in a much better team then the current one) for 25 million? No chance whatsoever.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Barcelona are sinking to obscurity, rats jumping off the ship.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I think that Arsenal have first refusal in that the club must ask them if they want to match the highest bid but I doubt they can make the player go to Arsenal if he prefers to go elsewhere no matter what the fee.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
I don't know about Baines. But we're not talking about a leak here. The club clearly informed all reporters. 24 hours after Thiago finally joined Bayern, I sense a PR exercise. And I'm sad to say it.
If true it's a pretty sad and embarrassing thing to do by a club of our stature.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Don't think United are in the business of making offers for players they know they definitely cannot get.
Didn't think so either, but we have a new manager now so things will be different then under Sir Alex and there will probably be a few things we'll see differently to how we've done stuff under Sir Alex.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
If this comes off, then Dennis Irwin is the ultimate ITK.

Rooney24

Ah well, I may as well jump in the muppet deep end here with a theory.

United sell Rooney to Arsenal on the agreement that Arsenal drop their claim to Fabregas.

binary bot
It's amusing to see people so sceptical of us being in for a good midfielder. Journos just pick up their stories from other journalists a lot of the time anyway. Just like every journalist picked it up the Fergie retirement story from Ogden.

I remember Fergie was talking about the Lucas and RvP transfers "to sell season tickets".

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
As suspected, there was no back up plan for Thiago, this is such a desperate offer. Fellaini for £20 million on deadline day is becoming more and more of a possibility.

Comsmit

Why is he not a realistic target? Hasnt set the world alight in Spain and if he comes back to the PL he's opnly going to one of a handful of clubs. Fair play to the club if they have made a bid. He's a top player and you dont get if you dont ask. An opening offer from a club lets them know wehre the stand - it may be a flat no, or it may result in a more realistic figure being put forward.

Seems you think the club should lower their sights. I couldnt disagree more.
If United want Fabregas they will have to pay a lot more than 30 million euros. That said the player actually has to want to leave Barcelona, which he doesn't as he has stated publically. Then you factor in that they have just sold Thiago, Xavi is 33 and you kind of get the picture.

But yes lets all congratulate the club for bidding for a player, it's really fantastic news.

The last sentence you are wrong.....I said the club should be focusing their attentions on realistic targets.

finneh

It's obvious what's happening:

Barcelona want to keep Thiago and are getting desperate now that Bayern have triggered his release clause. As soon as this happened they have gotten worried and told Thiago that he will indeed play far more often if he stays. This has of course made Fabregas available.

But too late as he's signed for Bayern.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Thats a pretty big leap and doesn't tally with how we usually operate.

According to Sky the reports are coming from sources in Spain.

Vasey20|13

Status
Not open for further replies.