Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
36M is exactly one mill more than they paid for him. We're letting 'em bag a profit of five hundred grand, then. Seems generous to me.

I have no idea what's going on here, obviously, but if we really have a war chest this time around, it does seem a bit strange to keep upping the bid in these relatively small increments. Unless we are really close, that is. I wouldn't think so, though. Seems more likely to me the magic figure is closer to fifty than thirty. But feck knows. We might keep bidding until the window closes for all I know.

Fabregas was wold to Barca for 29m EUR (with a further 5m on variables, don't think if Arsenal got old of that money). Assuming that they got half of money (Barca didn't win UCL, likely the added millions were depended on success) means that he cost 27m pounds. So we are offering 9m more and Barca is getting 4.5m more than what they paid for a player that wasn't that much of a success and was better when they signed.

I can just imagine a clown car pulling up outside the Nou Camp with Ed and Moyes inside wearing big shoes and waving a cheque book while this plays in the background.

You're a fan, you've bought it.

You're right about one thing, they are appeasing stupid fans, like you.
What have I "bought", by the way? That we've made a bid for him? I'm pretty sure we have, Barca rejected them, so yes, I've bought that.

Am I appeased by it? Well, no, not really. A failed bid for Fabregas doesn't please me. I won't think "well, we didn't sign Thiago, but it's ok, we made up for it by not signing Fabregas too".

What are these people being tricked by the club supposed to think about this? Do people get excited when the club don't sign players? Does not signing players make up for not signing players?

Feel free to tell me what I've stupidly bought, which you intelligently haven't, and explain the premise behind making bids for players that you know you can't sign, and how it appeases stupid fans. But not you, obviously.

It's 50% of Barca's profit, not 50% of the fee.

Oh, that makes more sense. It looked really weird the other thing, like a massive windfall for Arsenal.

What was the Arse fee though? 35M?

That would make sense then. Official fee 36M, Arsenal get half a mill and whatever other money Barca want on top they'll get as a discount on future purchase or extra on other player, or via Nike, who the feck knows...

Yeah, 36M looks more like the sort of fee which would indicate this could be a goer.

36M is exactly one mill more than they paid for him. We're letting 'em bag a profit of five hundred grand, then. Seems generous to me.

I have no idea what's going on here, obviously, but if we really have a war chest this time around, it does seem a bit strange to keep upping the bid in these relatively small increments. Unless we are really close, that is. I wouldn't think so, though. Seems more likely to me the magic figure is closer to fifty than thirty. But feck knows. We might keep bidding until the window closes for all I know.

I can guarantee you the official fee would never be over 36M, why give Arsenal cash for feck all reason? It's close.

some of the comments are terrific, like someone moaning we've "Only" raised an offer by £6m.

Yeah, that would only take it to our highest fee paid of all time! Not like it's anything record breaking or anything :wenger:

The Express also said we signed Thiago on a five year deal.

some of the comments are terrific, like someone moaning we've "Only" raised an offer by £6m.

Yeah, that would only take it to our highest fee paid of all time! Not like it's anything record breaking or anything :wenger:

Yeah, I find that a bit weird; 36M is a very reasonable price for Fábregas. The problem, still, is that Barcelona don't want to sell and Fábregas doesn't really want to leave. Whatever the Express says.

Yeah, I find that a bit weird; 36M is a very reasonable price for Fábregas. The problem, still, is that Barcelona don't want to sell and Fábregas doesn't reallyi is s if want to leave. Whatever the Express says.

The thing is if Cesc is worth around 40million quid, how come our little Shrek is worth only in the 20s?

The thing is if Cesc is worth around 40million quid, how come our little Shrek is worth only in the 20s?

I think Rooney's worth a similar amount of money as Fábregas. I don't dictate potential transfer fees though.

Without sounding like the idiot Pool fan at work who is trying to link Suarez's worth to Cavani's for some reason, how Rooney is only being talked of in the 20/23m range is utterly baffling.

This is the star English player of his generation, and English players generally for for amounts way more than they should. We can all quote the Henderson and Downing type transfers, players vaguely on the edge of the England squad who will never go on to be anything beyond above average Premier league players. Yet a guy who has been at the peak for 9years is worth similar?

Bonkers.

Without sounding like the idiot Pool fan at work who is trying to link Suarez's worth to Cavani's for some reason, how Rooney is only being talked of in the 20/23m range is utterly baffling.

This is the star English player of his generation, and English players generally for for amounts way more than they should. We can all quote the Henderson and Downing type transfers, players vaguely on the edge of the England squad who will never go on to be anything beyond above average Premier league players. Yet a guy who has been at the peak for 9years is worth similar?

Bonkers.

Andy Carroll at 35mil. :eek:

If we sold Rooney anything less than 35mil, I would be pissed off at Woody aka The Equaliser -- unless the Equaliser was referring to provide parity in the league by bring us down.

Bonkers.
It's because we seem to be awful, and I mean awful, at negotiating deals for players leaving the club. Just look at our history with selling players. Everyone basically sold way under price, same can even be said about Ronaldo. When players leave united, they seem to end up going for peanuts pretty much. Very frustrating.

This has been so much more tedious and dull, than the Thiago saga that never was, despite the fact that actual things have happened.

If anything has been accomplished in all of this, it's that I've finally realised I'm not cut out for a life of muppetry.

This has been so much more tedious and dull, than the Thiago saga that never was, despite the fact that actual things have happened.

If anything has been accomplished in all of this, it's that I've finally realised I'm not cut out for a life of muppetry.
That's because most of us never believed it would happen. With Hazard, Benzema, Wesley, Thiago etc. there was always hope because we knew they probably wanted to move.

That's because most of us never believed it would happen. With Hazard, Benzema, Wesley, Thiago etc. there was always hope because we knew they probably wanted to move.

How do we know Cesc, privately, doesn't want to move? It strikes me that United fans, myself included, have become some of the most cynical and disbelieving football followers around. It's as though multiple transfer disappointments has finally sent us over the edge, and Fergie retiring was the final shove.

The noticeable trend this summer has been for transfer stories positive in our favour to be dismissed and ridiculed, whilst negative stories, despite being no more or less plausible, are treated with more credence.

You can distill each Caftard's current psyche into one idea: "I don't want to say it'll happen, just in case I jinx it."

Apparently Barca are after Denis Suarez, the young Spanish attacking midfielder on City's books. Replacement?

I do still think Barca need the money for a centre back and Suarez would be a cheap midfield replacement at €4m. I think they just possibly want Fabregas to request a move to save face with fans but also want the most out of us in terms of fee.

Whatever is going on we need it done soon. We must get to other targets if this isn't going to happen.

I am pretty sure you can assume that there has been some encouragement given by the Cesc camp by Dein or by Cesc privately. Moyes isnt some novice manager to waste his time on this.

I am pretty sure you can assume that there has been some encouragement given by the Cesc camp by Dein or by Cesc privately. Moyes isnt some novice manager to waste his time on this.

Just said at his press conference that he's not sure we'll make another bid.

Beginning to look like an epic waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.