Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if that mundane improved offer is a sign that we're ready to move onto other targets. A £6m improvement is hardly likely to blow Barca's collective mind.

I disagree me aul china, £6m+ add on's might just swing it pal.

If someone upped an offer by £6 for my ebay item - "Life-sized Antonio Banderas Blow Up Love Doll - with realistic genetilia" - i'd be rinsing it out & deflating it now mate....

I've gone all tin foil hat and decided that this is nothing but United making bids to appease fans and to sell season tickets. We are the new Arsenal.

Bang on. This is exactly just that. Bidding to sign a player that his current club don't want to sell & he doesn't want to leave, just to show fans that the money is there. No intent of making the signing whatsoever. There are so many attainable targets that United have either missed on or not tried at all like Thiago, Strootman, Gundogan, etc.

Hardly optimistic.

Manchester United are considering a final make-or-break £36million bid to land Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
But sources close to Fabregas say he will stay at the Nou Camp if he receives assurances that his new manager Gerardo Martino wants him.
Fabregas begins pre-season training tomorrow and will hold immediate talks with Martino. United’s desperation to make a first marquee signing for David Moyes will see them make a third and final offer of £36m if they are given any encouragement by Fabregas. Earlier bids of £26m and £30m have already been rejected.
If true, that's depressingly in line with the Gill/Fergie 'value is king' era.​
First assign some spurious market value to the player; then determine that, above all other considerations, the club must not bid more than that value, regardless of how much money we have, or how badly we need the player. How successful that policy has been in securing our top targets in recent years!​
It's like refusing to offer more than 50p for a glass of water, even if dying of thirst in the middle of the Sahara, because 50p is the market value of a glass of water. Does anybody really believe that Fabregas is only worth £36m to us?​

Bang on. This is exactly just that. Bidding to sign a player that his current club don't want to sell & he doesn't want to leave, just to show fans that the money is there. No intent of making the signing whatsoever. There are so many attainable targets that United have either missed on or not tried at all like Thiago, Strootman, Gundogan, etc.

If the owners of this club don't have the common sense to realize that doing things like that would end up pissing off the fans more than "helping to sell tickets" then I worry for the club.

Paranoid much?

If the owners of this club don't have the common sense to realize that doing things like that would end up pissing off the fans more than "helping to sell tickets" then I worry for the club.

Paranoid much?

Then worry for the club you should.

Don't be stupid.

If there was ever any way of this being on, we'd have had to go at least as high as £40mil with our final offer to give it a chance.

I moan about things the club I support do, you moan about people who moan about things the club they support do.

We're the same, except I'm not a... you know... think numpty.
Neither am I, see my location. I'm just a bit pissed off, that's all.

You really think this is not a possibility?
I think it's definitely not a possibility. We aren't bidding for a player we know we can't sign just to appease fans. How does this work exactly? Are you stupid? Do you buy it? If not, then who are they appeasing? You're a fan, you haven't bought it. Are they appeasing stupid fans?

It's a ridiculous notion. I've heard people say it's to "appease the fans because we didn't sign Thiago". How does not signing someone make up for not signing someone? I've also heard people say it's to "prove we have money". How does not signing someone through not bidding enough money prove we have money?

I've come to the conclusion that the press don't have a clue. Tonight, the Daily Mail say we'll make a final offer of €40m, the Daily Mirror says Cesc wants to stay, and the Daily Express say he wants to join us.

Is there any logic to people saying we need to be at £40m to stand a chance, other than it being a rounded £40m?

Bearing in mind that £36m is >€40m. As far as Barca are concerned, this latest bid would exceed that 'landmark' number...

If there was ever any way of this being on, we'd have had to go at least as high as £40mil with our final offer to give it a chance.
Is it really a "finally offer"? We surely wouldn't jump from £30mil to £40mil. If this is how people spend their money I wish I was selling stuff on eBay. £30mil to £36mil is a decent offer raise. Saying it's a final offer might not mean it is. If it's a "No" I wouldn't be surprised to see another bid go in.

I've come to the conclusion that the press don't have a clue. Tonight, the Daily Mail say we'll make a final offer of €40m, the Daily Mirror says Cesc wants to stay, and the Daily Express say he wants to join us.

Bloody hell, you're a quick one.

People read too much into this "smokescreen" stuff of bidding for a player without the intent of actually signing them. Moyes may have not been optimistic that it would happen and may have been doubtful of our chances of getting him, but I really doubt he'd have bid with no intent of signing the player, especially when Fabregas would be a perfect fit for us.

I actually like the thought of Fellaini in our midfield, but Moyes will, at least to some fans, look like a complete villain after the Thiago and Fabregas debacles if he goes for the 3rd, 4th or 5th choice midfielder.

If he gets off to a bad start in the league, more then a few will start calling for his head. They'll be idiots of course, but that's the way it will pan out.

I think it's definitely not a possibility. We aren't bidding for player we know we can't sign just to appease fans. How dies this work exactly? Are you stupid? Do you buy it? If not, then who are they appeasing? You're a fan, you haven't bought it. Are they appeasing stupid fans?

It's ridiculous notion. I've heard people say it's to "appease the fans because we didn't sign Thiago". How does not signing someone make up for not signing someone? I've also heard people say it's to "prove we have money". How does not signing someone through not bidding enough money prove we have money?
Stop it with your logic and reason and let the paranoid people have their say.

I think it's definitely not a possibility. We aren't bidding for player we know we can't sign just to appease fans. How dies this work exactly? Are you stupid? Do you buy it? If not, then who are they appeasing? You're a fan, you haven't bought it. Are they appeasing stupid fans?

It's ridiculous notion. I've heard people say it's to "appease the fans because we didn't sign Thiago". How does not signing someone make up for not signing someone? I've also heard people say it's to "prove we have money". How does not signing someone through not bidding enough money prove we have money?

I think people are confused by it all being in the open - very unlike United in recent years. Anyway, a strategy of this kind would only work if the fans actually believed we were a) truly in for him and b) doing all we humanly could to buy the fecker. I don't think we're playing that kind of elaborate game - most people don't I think, at least if they consider it twice.

We are in for him. And we have either made it public or allowed it to become public. The latter could be a statement of sorts to the fans, I wouldn't rule that out. But that doesn't mean we're trying to appease them in a deceitful manner. For most I suspect that's just the frustration of muppet season talking.

We should make a faxing bot that places bid making increment of 2,3,5,8...millions. They'll have to accept someday.

He's back at work on Monday. If there's anything to the story. we might start to hear more then. If there's nothing to it I expect Barca will want him to say so to the press.

You're a fan, you've bought it.

You're right about one thing, they are appeasing stupid fans, like you.

What is this shit about a 36M "improved offer"? Hadn't we got to 40 already?

Seeing as Arsenal are supposed to get 50% of the fee, in what world would Barca sell Fabregas for 18M? Anything under 50M will get nowhere near being accepted.

Seeing as Arsenal are supposed to get 50% of the fee, in what world would Barca sell Fabregas for 18M? Anything under 50M will get nowhere near being accepted.
Who the feck knows what's going on in this convoluted deal.

Every clause, bid, whatever changes on a daily basis. That Arsenal percentage is only on profit Barca make above what they paid Arsenal, according to some.

I wouldn't have thought that they would get 50% of the actual fee, more like 50% of any profit that Barcelona make

It's 50% of Barca's profit, not 50% of the fee.

It would be retarded if they got 50% of the total fee rather than the profit. Unlikely in the very extreme.

36M is exactly one mill more than they paid for him. We're letting 'em bag a profit of five hundred grand, then. Seems generous to me.

I have no idea what's going on here, obviously, but if we really have a war chest this time around, it does seem a bit strange to keep upping the bid in these relatively small increments. Unless we are really close, that is. I wouldn't think so, though. Seems more likely to me the magic figure is closer to fifty than thirty. But feck knows. We might keep bidding until the window closes for all I know.

All we need now are some performing seals and we've got a proper circus.

You're a fan, you've bought it.

You're right about one thing, they are appeasing stupid fans, like you.
Brilliant. You, however, are a very clever fan and you haven't bought it, because you're so clever. You've seen through Woodward and his dastardly plan to make up for not signing someone by not signing someone else. Only a genius would see through it, so well done you.

Sleep safe in the knowledge that you, guy off the internet, are a genius who wasn't fooled by the most devious plan ever concocted by a human brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.