Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
They tried him there for most of his first season and he was disastrous. I don't think he's got the passing skills to play even as the defensive midfielder/transitional centre back in the Barca system we've seen in the last few years - you don't need a massive range of passing to play there but you need more passing awareness and intelligence than he's shown.

That is actually a very good point, especially seeing as they're not promoting from within like the last few times.

Yeah, it'll be interesting what this Tata character does. Vilanova called up a couple of midfielders from the Barca B team last season - including a Mexican lad who I for some reason thought was Italian, and who is supposed to be very promising. They also have Sergi (Roberto), another promising midfielder. They aren't proven at all, of course.

If Xavi is good for another season (I suppose he is), their worry is back-up. And they do have that. Biscuits could play further up, with Song behind him - for instance. I don't know - but the whispers had it that Vilanova didn't see Fabregas as an ideal central midfielder (i.e. the Xavi role) for 'em. Tata might have other ideas, of course - but it seems to me they would have to alter their approach somewhat to make Fabregas their new main man in the middle.

EDIT The Mexican lad would be Jonathan (dos Santos).

But that's nonsense. Having been a star at Arsenal, he wasn't automatic first choice at Barca, and didn't fit their system. If he was dissatisfied with his role, prizing him away from the Nou Camp without breaking the bank must have seemed a decent shout.

Using words like 'if' and 'must have' despite not knowing what Cesc/Barca's intentions are says everything. We don't know if Barcelona are genuinely open to selling at the right price or if they won't sell him for any amount of money. We don't know of Fabregas is happy playing second fiddle to two of the greatest midfielders ever, nor do we know of he'd actually move.

At the end of season he pretty much said he's happy there and that's that. Then they lose Thiago. If 2+2=4, I'd say Cesc was one of the least attainable targets out there after obvious players such as those who are automatic starters in their favoured position, however with Xavi showing a few signs of weakness and the promise of Thiago gone there may be an opportunity for Fabregas at Barcelona.

I think people believe what they want to believe rather than really thinking about things. I'd be delighted with him coming, but he's never been a realistic target from where I'm sat. Differs massively to a Sneijder at Madrid situation for example.

Been away. Where are we at now? Second bid rejected and Barca's new boss stating that he's not for sale?

*tumbleweed*
If that was aimed at a lack of response from me, you'll have to forgive me for leaving the house to buy crickets for my Beardie, and cider for my fridge.:rolleyes:

Having said that, I don't think we'd get anywhere by continuing.
To re-cap, I think there may have been a reason to go public.
You think they did it to look stupid.
You won't talk me round to seeing things your way.

Yeah, and jeston got banned for posting a gif of Moyes with his cock out.
If that was aimed at a lack of response from me, you'll have to forgive me for leaving the house to buy crickets for my Beardie, and cider for my fridge.:rolleyes:

Having said that, I don't think we'd get anywhere by continuing.
To re-cap, I think there may have been a reason to go public.
You think they did it to look stupid.
You won't talk me round to seeing things your way.

It wasn't.

Make another bid, let's test these cnuts resolve.

The thing that gets me with this is the ridiculous drawn out nature. United have made 2 public bids (why public is an ongoing bafflement) and both have been unanimously rejected. How long does it take to agree a fecking price? If Barca are prepared to sell then United should just ask...how much is your valuation? If there is shitloads of capital and Moyes really wants the player just give them what they want and its up to Cesc. Its becoming another in a long line of drawn out sagas that United have been involved in.

Does the club keep bidding publically for other midfielders? What if they are rejected again? How anyone can say that isn't a slight embarrassment is beyond me. When you talk big you have to deliver to back it up.

Moyes is ruining our image by going public on the bid,we have no chance of attracting Fabregas so whats the point on courting him publicly.

The thing that gets me with this is the ridiculous drawn out nature. United have made 2 public bids (why public is an ongoing bafflement) and both have been unanimously rejected. How long does it take to agree a fecking price? If Barca are prepared to sell then United should just ask...how much is your valuation? If there is shitloads of capital and Moyes really wants the player just give them what they want and its up to Cesc. Its becoming another in a long line of drawn out sagas that United have been involved in.

Does the club keep bidding publically for other midfielders? What if they are rejected again? How anyone can say that isn't a slight embarrassment is beyond me. When you talk big you have to deliver to back it up.

Going public was most likely to assure Fabregas that they were serious. Had they kept it quiet, it is likely that Barca would not have even informed the player of the bids. I think going public like this was the ONLY way to make this happen.

Going public was most likely to assure Fabregas that they were serious. Had they kept it quiet, it is likely that Barca would not have even informed the player of the bids. I think going public like this was the ONLY way to make this happen.
Again I ask, do people think the only way to communicate in the football world is via the press? Fabregas would know of our bids and interest through is agent.

Does it make any difference? Do people seriously believe that our "image" is being ruined by the Cesc pursuit?
If fabregas one day comes and says he has no intention and never did, it really doesn't look good.

As many have said our pursuit of him is not the norm for the club.

When the first bid was announced I was convinced the only reason it was so public was because a deal was very close

If fabregas one day comes and says he has no intention and never did, it really doesn't look good.

As many have said our pursuit of him is not the norm for the club.

When the first bid was announced I was convinced the only reason it was so public was because a deal was very close

I don't think it matters. Also, you never know who to believe.

Mazinho comes and says that Thiago was close to signing for United and the very next day Thiago says that his team had no contact with United.

We, fans, will never know what goes on behind the scene. We can only speculate and make ourselves go crazy.

The club have identified the need for a top CM and we are going for one. I am sure not blindly. If he comes, he comes, otherwise we move on. Once the season starts who will care about the transfer window, image and the whole nonsense.

I don't think it matters. Also, you never know who to believe.

Mazinho comes and says that Thiago was close to signing for United and the very next day Thiago says that his team had no contact with United.

We, fans, will never know what goes on behind the scene. We can only speculate and make ourselves go crazy.

The club have identified the need for a top CM and we are going for one. I am sure not blindly. If he comes, he comes, otherwise we move on. Once the season starts who will care about the transfer window, image and the whole nonsense.

It's not as unimportant as you suggest. Over the last 10/15 years Real have manipulated their public image very adroitly, and greatly boosted their revenues in the process. By buying the world's best players, they've invested the club with an aura of glamour, which has increased their attraction for other top players. This has been of huge benefit commercially, and all without winning that much on the pitch!

Posters too young to remember the 70s and 80s assume Madrid's present preeminence is a natural birthright of their glory days, but winning stuff nearly 60 years ago will only take you so far.

Goal.com's cover pic on Facebook -
Tata swats away a pesky David Moyes from Cesc Fabregas in today's Cartoon of the Day!
547070_10151597752583598_725383534_n.jpg

so to summarise the last 10/20/30 etc pages

Positive We must have been given some encouragement, it's good we're after the best

Negative We have no chance of getting him, it's embarrassing, they've said he's not for sale.

Has anyone anything different to add?

No....

A lot of clubs don't want to give a valuation though because it basically means that they're giving a set price, and means that they're not going to get any more than you'd expect for the player. Clubs hardly ever come out in public to name their price, because it basically means that the player is up for sale and when players are up for sale, clubs don't tend to bid as much. Moyes won't want to offer too much because he won't want to overpay, so he's not going to go in with an extortionate offer and will gradually push it up with each rejected bid, presuming he's willing to offer more now.

It's not as unimportant as you suggest. Over the last 10/15 years Real have manipulated their public image very adroitly, and greatly boosted their revenues in the process. By buying the world's best players, they've invested the club with an aura of glamour, which has increased their attraction for other top players. This has been of huge benefit commercially, and all without winning that much on the pitch!

Posters too young to remember the 70s and 80s assume Madrid's present preeminence is a natural birthright of their glory days, but winning stuff nearly 60 years ago will only take you so far.

I don't disagree with any of that. I would add, though, firstly that the most important part is still how you perform on the pitch - that goes for Real too. They have been there or thereabouts of late (they won la liga only last year), and if they hadn't remained in contention much of the glamour would've faded away pretty quickly.

Secondly, how you go about building an image which is attractive to players (or a certain kind of player, for that matter) is about more than making - or not making - transfer deals public. I don't know why we have made this public, or even to what extent we have made it so: Sometimes you confirm something to the press simply because it will get out there anyway. But if we have, so to speak, actively gone in for bidding for him in public, this could be a gesture to the fans. Yes. Not in a ridiculous conspiracy theory sense, but in the sense that we do have a fresh manager that many of our fans are unsure of. Maybe the club want to make it clear to the fans that his words about going for the best players aren't just wind and bollocks. If we don't get him, well - we tried. And the fans know it. I don't know - but I don't think this is any less likely than the other reason put forth: That the public nature of it is part of the business itself, i.e. that we need to communicate our serious intentions to Fabregas through the media. That makes little sense to me. I believe we were given some kind of encouragement before we launched the first bid - possibly a long time before that. It will be nothing new to Fabregas that we're in for him.

Hardly optimistic.

Manchester United are considering a final make-or-break £36million bid to land Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
But sources close to Fabregas say he will stay at the Nou Camp if he receives assurances that his new manager Gerardo Martino wants him.
Fabregas begins pre-season training tomorrow and will hold immediate talks with Martino. United’s desperation to make a first marquee signing for David Moyes will see them make a third and final offer of £36m if they are given any encouragement by Fabregas. Earlier bids of £26m and £30m have already been rejected.

I wonder if that mundane improved offer is a sign that we're ready to move onto other targets. A £6m improvement is hardly likely to blow Barca's collective mind.

I've gone all tin foil hat and decided that this is nothing but United making bids to appease fans and to sell season tickets. We are the new Arsenal.

Hardly optimistic.

Manchester United are considering a final make-or-break £36million bid to land Barcelona midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
But sources close to Fabregas say he will stay at the Nou Camp if he receives assurances that his new manager Gerardo Martino wants him.
Fabregas begins pre-season training tomorrow and will hold immediate talks with Martino. United’s desperation to make a first marquee signing for David Moyes will see them make a third and final offer of £36m if they are given any encouragement by Fabregas. Earlier bids of £26m and £30m have already been rejected.

Time to give up the ghost.

If £36m doesn't cut it then I'd say we should try one last bid at about £40m or thereabouts. I still think he'd be perfect for United's central midfield and it would be really, really disappointing to miss out on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.