Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think someone pointed out earlier that they had also printed that we signed Thiago a while back

If Fabregas was our primary transfer target all along, Barca probably told us to wait on what would happen with Thiago first... I am beginning to wonder if it was "Thiago signs contract extension and remains at Barca for another 20 years" news we should have actually been praying for...

and sky post this on the website.

Manchester United manager David Moyes remains keen to bolster his squad ahead of the new season - despite being rebuffed in his attempts to sign Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona.

which completely blows the Express story out of the water.

Eh?

Surely the reason we find ourselves in this position is because of the state of disrepair our midfield has fallen into. It'd be nice to be bidding for Cesc with other good and established options - that way, we could take it or leave it. Instead, it's 02:55, they're chucking the dregs out of the club, and we're desperate to take any whale home to bed.

I feel sorry for Moyes, as he's inherited a shit situation when it comes to midfield.

Well I was talking about the Moyes and Woodward reign.

AS reckons he'll put us out of our misery tomorrow.
Now that its clear Barca will not sell him ( for a sane fee) its in his interest to say he never wanted to leave anyway ( even though the signals to United may have been the opposite).

Moyes on Fabregas: "I never at any time said I knew we would get him. I just said we had made offers. They have been rejected."

There's a press conference at the moment, he also says he wants to add to the squad.

Moyes on Fabregas: "I never at any time said I knew we would get him. I just said we had made offers. They have been rejected."

There's a press conference at the moment, he also says he wants to add to the squad.

Hmmm so has he really not had any sneaky behind the backs of the press type of encouragement at all from either the Barca or the Fabregas camp and just thrown a few bids in to see where it would take him?

We should finish up this saga either way tomorrow. Sure there's still a month to the end of the transfer window, but the clubs will not want to lose good/key players with a few weeks left to panic buy a replacement.

Sounds like admitting defeat there.

I'm glad we went for Fabregas - the set of player we should be aiming for. It's the fact that we've seemingly focused so much on him that we've failed to advance any other deals. With our start to the season, we needed to get players in early.

Hmmm so has he really not had any sneaky behind the backs of the press type of encouragement at all from either the Barca or the Fabregas camp and just thrown a few bids in to see where it would take him?

Well we don't know, I'd imagine though it's a case of Fabregas being open to move if Barca are willing to sell. That's pretty much all I remember Fabregas saying, that he was happy to stay as long as he was wanted. So now we've tried a few bids. That's all you can do, he's not an absolutely key player for them, the arrival of Neymar may reduce his game time and they might need some cash to strengthen their defence, so can see where united might think they could possibly sell. Sometimes I think we over dramatize transfers.

According to AS tomorrow Fabregas will make a statement confirming that he is staying at Barca. My p is shrinking fast...

The benefit if bidding, even if we get rejected is that the player knows we made good effort to sign him. That will stick in his head if he ever becomes available again

The benefit if bidding, even if we get rejected is that the player knows we made good effort to sign him. That will stick in his head if he ever becomes available again

Yep I was thinking that. If Neymar seriously infringes on his game time, then maybe next summer he'll have second thoughts.

According to AS tomorrow Fabregas will make a statement confirming that he is staying at Barca. My p is shrinking ):

Delighted. Move on, one month left, clubs will tell us to feck off if we leave them with a week or two to buy replacements.

I'm glad we went for Fabregas - the set of player we should be aiming for. It's the fact that we've seemingly focused so much on him that we've failed to advance any other deals. With our start to the season, we needed to get players in early.
How you know that no other deals gave been worked on?

Such a depressing window, more should have been done to get players in earlier... On the face of it Cesc never seemed feasible.

It's all well and good saying we have until Sept 6th. By then we'll have played Liverpool and Chelsea, both of which are stronger than last season.

I Know Moyes only start July 1st but you'd have thought things would be going on behind the scenes to bring people in.

"Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."

How you know that no other deals gave been worked on?

I don't. But we've signed no one yet.

City are indisputably in a better position than us by virtue of having done their business clinically. They're settled and in a position to hit the ground running. They're not going to be dicking around on the final day of the window as they were last year.

What riles me is that Moyes talked about not being in the job for very long as being the reason for the inactivity. It hasn't stopped Pelegrini, and his appointment was announced after Moyes'.

It's been an amateurish pre-season with the public statements and feck all to back it up.

City are indisputably in a better position than us by virtue of having done their business clinically. They're settled and in a position to hit the ground running. They're not going to be dicking around on the final day of the window as they were last year.

What riles me is that Moyes talked about not being in the job for very long as being the reason for the inactivity. It hasn't stopped Pelegrini, and his appointment was announced after Moyes'.

It's been an amateurish pre-season with the public statements and feck all to back it up.
Well, hang on a few weeks before you top yourself alright? RVP was not signed until 17th August and I bet there were hundreds of "City are so awesome!" posts last summer.

Couldn't agree more.

By know means judging Moyes or the new running of the club, but nothing has impressed me so far...

Well, hang on a few weeks before you top yourself alright? RVP was not signed until 17th August and I bet there were hundreds of "City are so awesome!" posts last summer.

I know RvP was signed late, but it's not the ideal way to do business. In any case, we had a more gentle start to last season (on paper), whilst City had a really poor close season themselves. I'm sure we can agree that this season isn't the one where we're happy to get a slow start.

Don't think anyone said City's business was awesome last summer - they were widely ridiculed, rightly so.

I think it's best to judge on 1 September, but then again, the noises coming out of the Utd camp right now don't inspire much confidence. However, all this can change quite rapidly. All it needs is Cesc to come out and say something, and while I believe that's not going to happen, it's far from impossible.

We have a similar situation wherein we've put everything on the Suarez bid, but add to that, we've also entirely neglected our need for a quality midfielder and defender.

I know RvP was signed late, but it's not the ideal way to do business. In any case, we had a more gentle start to last season (on paper), whilst City had a really poor close season themselves. I'm sure we can agree that this season isn't the one where we're happy to get a slow start.

Don't think anyone said City's business was awesome last summer - they were widely ridiculed, rightly so.

Depends on what we mean by slow start. Looking at our first five fixtures, I'd be reasonably happy with two wins, two draws and a defeat. We'll probably lose at Anfield because we're always shite there but we should get a draw at City and against Chelsea and beat Swansea and Palace. The current squad should be capable of a record like that.

Undoubtedly, at the first sign of problems at Barca he'll automatically think what could have been at United.

The people that say that our transfer business has been a complete failure/waste of time/embarrassing..

Would you rather we didn't bid for good players?

So Moyes says that he never thought we would get him , in that case lets bid for Messi as well.

When trying to sign the best players available, it always takes more time, unless you are ready to make ridiculously high bids.
Even though they have been in their new job for a few weeks, Pellegrini unlike Moyes knew ages ago that he ll take over a new club and had more time to make his homework.

Depends on what we mean by slow start. Looking at our first five fixtures, I'd be reasonably happy with two wins, two draws and a defeat. We'll probably lose at Anfield because we're always shite there but we should get a draw at City and against Chelsea and beat Swansea and Palace. The current squad should be capable of a record like that.

Chelsea's record against us is excellent, and it'll be even tougher with Maureen at the helm. As you say, we're consistently dire at Anfield, and Moyes' record against them doesn't inspire confidence. And, as I said, City are the ones set up to hit the ground running, following some excellent pre-season activity.

Tbh, I wouldn't be overly confident in our first five games if Fergie was in charge. With the change of management, I've no idea what to expect.

Well hopefully we'll be able to get other deals done quickly now and get some fresh blood in.

Which probably unavailable or tricky to negotiate for player are we after now?

I wish they'd just get Fellaini...at least I can relax knowing we've got at least two good centre midfielders then.

Status
Not open for further replies.