Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of going for that one but I'm not sure Morgan would have the balls for it really. Americans probably haven't a good grasp of the word "gash".

Basically mine is better and go feck yourself.

Aren't you dead yet?

It's like a failed lover still pursuing his chick. We have bid thrice(?) now and have been rejected from all sides, and we are still in it.

:(

Correction: Its like a failed lover pursuing his chick but her parents don't want to let her go out with him.

Nothing foolish about losing out on a player but I hope we're working on a plan B. If we dont get fabregas, we still need to sign a CM anyways.

Don't really see the problem, its not like Fabregas has said he wouldn't want to play for us, we're trying to sign a top player and the club aren't currently listening. There's been no suggestion that if Barca did accept Fabregas would reject us, that would be a little embarrassing, But don't see the problem in trying to sign a top player and their club holding firm.

It just doesn't really matter if we do or not, every big club in the world has looked foolish one time or another. If we win the league again without buying him, then it will all be forgotten about

There's a difference between foolish and Peter Kenyon being a slimy bastard.

This isn't embarrassing. 4 weeks ago did you really sit in your chairs and think we had any chance of signing Fabregas? I mean seriously he is probably one of the least attainable midfielders out there and to get him, we'd have to spend an incredible amount of money.

I'm not embarrassed. I'm disappointed it went public from our manager but a little bit of early naivety from him isn't embarrassing, it's experience. He'll become a miserable old secretive bastard in no time.

Or simply that not every bid will workout, if we hold our ground and don't sell Rooney, Chelsea wouldn't look foolish imo, they've taken a chance to sign a top player it doesn't always work for a host of reasons. I would think when bidding for a player it would only be foolish if you get your offer accepted and then the player rejects you to stay at his club, or maybe loosing out on a top player for the sake of a few million.

Or simply that not every bid will workout, if we hold our ground and don't sell Rooney, Chelsea wouldn't look foolish imo, they've taken a chance to sign a top player it doesn't always work for a host of reasons. I would think when bidding for a player it would only be foolish if you get your offer accepted and then the player rejects you to stay at his club, or maybe loosing out on a top player for the sake of a few million.

"It's Rooney or broke."

I know those words were basically put in his mouth, but I'd say Mourinho would look foolish if it didn't happen if he was anybody else. But because it's Mourinho, he can do whatever he likes and the press still wank him off.

I still think it was mental of the club to go so public with a bid that was clearly going to be a longshot. I'm not sure what the feck they were actually trying to achieve with it, especially as in the process they turned Moyes from "I don't talk about other clubs players, it's disrespectful" to "Gimme Fabregas!".

I still think it was mental of the club to go so public with a bid that was clearly going to be a longshot. I'm not sure what the feck they were actually trying to achieve with it, especially as in the process they turned Moyes from "I don't talk about other clubs players, it's disrespectful" to "Gimme Fabregas!".

I'm guessing they thought it might influence someone, Player/representatives/club.
We may have had to, to strengthen our position.

It'll be telling if we persist with our interest the coming week.

Assuming we'll find out, going by our evident lack of discreteness.

1. We may have had more of a chance by doing that.
2. The window is still open, and we haven't admitted defeat yet.
3. Their Manager has changed during all this.

I thought you were more level-headed than this.

Well, we can only judge on what's happened so far.

I'm all for going for players like Fabregas, i.e. an actual midfielder, and not just a midfielder, a fecking excellent one, but it always seemed like a very optimistic bid on the clubs behalf and surely they knew when being so public about it that it could have a bad effect if it never happened. If it somehow does still happen (unlikely) then I'll happily admit defeat myself cause I've been pretty pessimistic of this whole thing so far.

oh and I'm also not sure how the club can possibly have more of a chance by going public, you think the Barca president will go "shit, they told the whole world about the bid, better sell now lads!"

Well, we can only judge on what's happened so far.

I'm all for going for players like Fabregas, i.e. an actual midfielder, and not just a midfielder, a fecking excellent one, but it always seemed like a very optimistic bid on the clubs behalf and surely they knew when being so public about it that it could have a bad effect if it never happened. If it somehow does still happen (unlikely) then I'll happily admit defeat myself cause I've been pretty pessimistic of this whole thing so far.

oh and I'm also not sure how the club can possibly have more of a chance by going public, you think the Barca president will go "shit, they told the whole world about the bid, better sell now lads!"

I've had a pessimistic view on this transfer from the start, myself.
I don't see how it negatively impacts on our "image" though. If anything, it shows we are willing to go after top players. (not that I think that would be the reason.)

The possible reason for going public, could be to convince the player we are serious. Or make the club's moneymen examine and discuss, that it may actually be worth considering. Maybe, to show the player if their club are serious about keeping them.
I dunno, but there are all manner of impacts, from making it public.
Only our club will know the real reasons.

Right, so because Chelsea did it then it's ok for us to do it too.

I'm just saying, there's no point in us making a meal out of it. We must have had some encouragement to put in the bids.

I'm just saying, there's no point in us making a meal out of it. We must have had some encouragement to put in the bids.

I'm not making a meal out of it. It was an observation, are we not allowed to make them on here anymore?

The possible reason for going public, could be to convince the player we are serious. Or make the club's moneymen examine and discuss, that it may actually be worth considering. Maybe, to show the player if their club are serious about keeping them.
I dunno, but there are all manner of impacts, from making it public.
Only our club will know the real reasons.

Everything you've said there can easily be achieved in private. It's not like the club needs to speak in the open in order to get the players attention.

A failed bid for a player of Cesc's caliber, should our best and final bid be rejected, should not be considered a "failure" or somehow "cringeworthy".

Short of Cesc signing for us, we'll likely never know what Moyes and Woodward (and let's assume Fergie had some input on this as well) had in mind with this bid -- was it a "what the hell?" bid, were they given encouragement or was it a smokescreen? -- but all that matters is how effectively United compete for all four trophies this season. We've got a squad already that's strong enough to lift the English prem trophy in May 2014 and we're deep enough to win both the FA Cup and the league cup; sadly, we're not strong enough as of today to lift the CL trophy but we're probably strong enough to get the quarterfinal absent horrifying refereeing (the Turkish cnut v Nani). Strengthening the squad with a "world class" mid such as Cesc plus no other transfers probably gets us no better than a CL semifinal appearance, but "prem proven" mid such as Fellaini firms up our bid to hold the prem trophy. Provided, of course, we hold onto Rooney which at this point is far from certain.

So, for those of you in meltdown because we might not sign Cesc mode I beseech you to chill out.

There's a difference between foolish and Peter Kenyon being a slimy bastard.

This isn't embarrassing. 4 weeks ago did you really sit in your chairs and think we had any chance of signing Fabregas? I mean seriously he is probably one of the least attainable midfielders out there and to get him, we'd have to spend an incredible amount of money.

I'm not embarrassed. I'm disappointed it went public from our manager but a little bit of early naivety from him isn't embarrassing, it's experience. He'll become a miserable old secretive bastard in no time.

But that's nonsense. Having been a star at Arsenal, he wasn't automatic first choice at Barca, and didn't fit their system. If he was dissatisfied with his role, prizing him away from the Nou Camp without breaking the bank must have seemed a decent shout.

Status
Not open for further replies.