Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCarthy to United would cost £20m plus. Why do we think we can get him on a cheap? Either way this Fabregas thing is happening.

If we forget the possibility of a bidding war between several clubs which will raise his price, we can probably get McCarthy on the "cheap" because Wigan play in the Championship - that is why. If United offer £12 million for McCarthy and Wigan turn it down, I can almost guarantee that it will affect his overall gameplay at Wigan. And there isn't a single manager in the Championship who would turn down a good bid from any of their players from one of the best clubs in the country (and for instance £12 million is a good deal for a Championship player)

The main reason is that they need to bring in talented players themselves - and most level-headed managers know that if they take away the chance their most talented players have for playing for the best sides in the country, will make it harder to sign talent from smaller clubs. So even if Wigan feels McCarthy is worth more, they will probably accept a smaller offer to avoid this situation.

So, i'm sensing some negativity

Doesn't look too good does it.

it's a weird summer with the noises coming out of the club being really positive about big signings, but the reality being..well ..nothing

That's it then. The moment Tito left I thought there was 0 chance. He is very much a Martino type player and Martino would also know a truckload of cheaper CBs to get instead of Thiago Silva so the financial incentive would be off the table. his presser puts paid to it.

It is NOT going to happen.

Modric is NOT going to happen either.

Fellaini + McCarthy, Verratti at best. Any pair of those three and I would be pretty pleased. Even just one of those could have me delighted... but wanting a second.

I'd be pleased with two of those.

Classic day in the life of a transfer saga
Morning reports...tells "friends" he wants to come to us
By evening, 100% not available!

When you think our operating profit when we bought Rooney, Rio and Veron was roughly the same that year total as the transfer fee... That would put each transfer nowadays North of the £100m mark. Obviously wages have increased at a much faster rate, but it still gives you an idea.

Or to look at it from a slightly different angle, there had been one massive record smashing transfer (Zidane for £50m), without which they would have been just a little short of world record level (certainly Veron, and Rio was around a world record for a defender, no?). Which translated to today means take out Ronaldo's £80m and you're left with stuff around the £50m mark.

So paying £50m for a player today is certainly in line with what we've done in the past. The only thing is, Rooney, Rio and Veron were all pre-Glazer, and however you look at it / whatever the reasons, we haven't been close to world record level fees for the last 10 years. Which isn't to say we won't ever again, but there has definitely been a change.

For someone who has been repeatedly warned about posting NSFW images you're a bit fecking stupid, Jeston.

This ok? It's an apt replacement, I thought :smirk:

Have a time-out Jeston, you cant say that you haven't been warned before. A reminder lads, this site not only has children viewing but also we are at the mercy of Google. You are only giving Niall headaches on that score when you post this type of nonsense

I'd really, really like to hear an explanation from Moyes or Woodward about this. Why the hell did they ever think Fabregas would be an attainable target?

There's still a fair bit of time before the transfer window closes so it's not the end of the world but I'm very curious as to what made them think that bidding for a clearly unrealistic target is a good idea?

I'd really, really like to hear an explanation from Moyes or Woodward about this. Why the hell did they ever think Fabregas would be an attainable target?

There's still a fair bit of time before the transfer window closes so it's not the end of the world but I'm very curious as to what made them think that bidding for a clearly unrealistic target is a good idea?

you dont put 2 or 3 bids in without having some kind of encouragement

But he demands an explanation dammit.

fine

1. When Utd lost out on Thiago, one of the Barca directors let it slip that they could have Fabregas for the right price if they wanted
2. Fab's agent said it was possible
3. Moyes and The Equalizer decided to take a punt, "if you're not in, you can't win"
4. The stars were in the right alignment
5. who the f**k cares?

I thought we didn't put a bid in for Thaigo, something like Moyse not being sure whether he'd be able to put a graft in against Stoke on a lovely January evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.