Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be positive about this potential signing but they seem to be very firm about him staying and he won't be forcing a move away as he seems genuinely happy there. We might want to move to a more realistic target then.

Although the latest comments aren't exactly positive, i'd still say they have same weight as our stance on Rooney. Unfortunately I doubt Cesc wants out as much as Rooney, if at all.

Reasons this could happen:

Edward Woodward got on a plane.

Reasons this won't happen:

Barca don't need to sell.
Cesc don't want to leave.
Barca's already sold one of their CM's.
They're not in financial difficulties so don't need the money.
Cesc probably would think twice about going to a rival of Arsenal.

Because they don't need to sell. Compared to the stupid money that is being spent on lesser proven players around the world. 40 million for an established player isn't really a head turning offer in their position.

Ok, but how do you know they won't sell?

If the club had that attitude they'd have never put in the original bid. You think they thought Barca would accept £25m? No chance.

Surely Modric would be available now since Madrid have just signed Isco and Illarramendi. Just throw the Fabregas fund at Madrid and get Modric back to England.

That's it then. The moment Tito left I thought there was 0 chance. He is very much a Martino type player and Martino would also know a truckload of cheaper CBs to get instead of Thiago Silva so the financial incentive would be off the table. his presser puts paid to it.

It is NOT going to happen.

Modric is NOT going to happen either.

Fellaini + McCarthy, Verratti at best. Any pair of those three and I would be pretty pleased. Even just one of those could have me delighted... but wanting a second.

Time to move on here, we're wasting valuable time. We're is desperate need for midfield reinforcement. We'll end up panic buying in two weeks time at this rate.

By the way, Martino's quotes are not what was posted here.

BBC translate it as:

"I'm not going to involve myself in the club's accounts, but considering the club has already rejected two offers, I would guess it will reject a third. In other words, Fabregas will remain here."

Basically doesn't have a clue and isn't getting involved.

Because they don't need to sell. Compared to the stupid money that is being spent on lesser proven players around the world. 40 million for an established player isn't really a head turning offer in their position.

Yes, 40m is just not enough of an increase on the last offer to back down from current statements. Got to be 50m at least. But for me that is insane, and not something United could consider.

By the way, Martino's quotes are not what was posted here.

BBC translate it as:

"I'm not going to involve myself in the club's accounts, but considering the club has already rejected two offers, I would guess it will reject a third. In other words, Fabregas will remain here."

Basically doesn't have a clue and isn't getting involved.

Mundo Deportivio has it as :

"No me voy a meter en los intereses económicos. Si el club lo rechazó dos veces, yo agrego una tercera. Lo tendremos aquí".

And "agrego" is "I add". There is no "I would guess".

Yes, 40m is just not enough of an increase on the last offer to back down from current statements. Got to be 50m at least. But for me that is insane, and not something United could consider.

I agree, 50m is a scary amount of money to spend for a single player in such a critical position for the club. We'd be basically betting our season on him not getting injured.

Mundo Deportivio has it as :

"No me voy a meter en los intereses económicos. Si el club lo rechazó dos veces, yo agrego una tercera. Lo tendremos aquí".

And "agrego" is "I add". There is no "I would guess".
Either way both quotes agree that he is not involved in the process, they are completely different from Hernandez -BFA's on the last page.

I don't think we should go that high either. He's a good player and would instantly improve us but £50m is a lot of money for a single player, we'd nearly double our current transfer record fee. For £50m we'd be better off buying 2-3 players to improve midfield and replace Nani.

This whole thing is slow and needlessly protracted. We really do need more than 1 midfielder too, I wish we'd be decisive on someone... something..

For all there posturing, Barcelona have to consider a £40m offer for a player that is basically only a rotation option. They can get some one else to fill that role for a quarter of that sum and then go spend big on a midfielder in couple of year's time when Xavi calls it a day.

Either way we cannot just keep putting it off until a " top top top class" CM comes available.

We need strengthening there ASAP. I do not agree with the way SAF let it dross so badly, we should have nipped it in the bud years ago.

Now we are scrambling around trying to get the best players possible, its simply not that easy to sign players from big teams unless they are deemed surplus to requirements.

That's it then. The moment Tito left I thought there was 0 chance. He is very much a Martino type player and Martino would also know a truckload of cheaper CBs to get instead of Thiago Silva so the financial incentive would be off the table. his presser puts paid to it.

It is NOT going to happen.

Modric is NOT going to happen either.

Fellaini + McCarthy, Verratti at best. Any pair of those three and I would be pretty pleased. Even just one of those could have me delighted... but wanting a second.

Why are you so sure Modric could not happen?

Either way we cannot just keep putting it off until a " top top top class" CM comes available.

We need strengthening there ASAP. I do not agree with the way SAF let it dross so badly, we should have nipped it in the bud years ago.

Now we are scrambling around trying to get the best players possible, its simply not that easy to sign players from big teams unless they are deemed surplus to requirements.

I agree, we didn't arrive at this point overnight. Maybe that's the clubs stance as well and they have budgeted for this signing? Either way the openness of the process doesn't make this very easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.