Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you work for the Sun. Where did i say that??

No, I don't work for the Sun, and you said that a few posts up... My comment was 'They will not be in direct competition, and neither will limit the others playing time', your response to this was 'Yes the new manager is going to go there and switch the whole ethos at the club', I can only comment on what you write..

Yes, my point is Neymar has taken away his ace card, which was goals from AM, so he cn either play second fiddle, or become main CM (his preferred position) for us , maybe even captain provided he stays injury free

Don't see why they won't look for goals from AM and wings... they don't exactly have an RVP up top... They have AM floaters... like Messi.. but never a target man, not since Villa/Ibra

Yes, my point is Neymar has taken away his ace card, which was goals from AM, so he cn either play second fiddle, or become main CM (his preferred position) for us , maybe even captain provided he stays injury free

Understand that, my point is that he is not competing with those two players you named. His only spot in the team is to compete with Iniesta as that third midfielder in the side (the attacking midfielder) or fill in for Xavi if he is out injured. Either way his chances of getting games is quite high in all honesty for Barca depending on injuries and the fact Xavi/Iniesta will need to be rested quite alot especially the former. The big question is does 'games' matter to Fabregas, or does he have a burning desire to spend his peak years as one of the best midfielders in the world and be a key figure/captain fantastic kind of player at a top side. I can't see how a player with his talent would be content to wait out another year or so before Xavi becomes 2nd fiddle and even then it is not guaranteed that his style of play is what they're seeking for in that Xavi role.

This thread is great. Before the most recent speculation kicked off on July 15th it was on page 17 and around 660 posts.

Now here we are just 10days, 171 pages and about 6,700 posts later.....

This thread is great. Before the most recent speculation kicked off on July 15th it was on page 17 and around 660 posts.

Now here we are just 10days, 171 pages and about 6,700 posts later.....

And that's mostly with a pessimistic viewpoint on the transfer, overall. Imagine if we actually get some concrete, positive news. The thread will explode, beyond Thiago proportions.

image_zps10d7697e.jpg

Screen grab from whoscored.com.
Barcelona's average formation in La Liga last season (obviously Cesc played quite a lot too). If we replace Villa with Neymar It seems Cesc will only get games when Xavi/Initesta are being rested or in Pedro's place when there is also Alexis and Tello for that spot. It's not hard to see why he could be 'considering his future'.

image_zps10d7697e.jpg

Barcelona's average formation in La Liga last season (obviously Cesc played quite a lot too). If we replace Villa with Neymar It seems Cesc will only get games when Xavi/Initesta are being rested or in Pedro's place when there is also Alexis and Tello for that spot. It's not hard to see why he could be 'considering his future'.

Swap Messi with Villa and Villa for Cesc, you've got how they use to play when Cesc was in the side. Now if you take into account they want a new centre back you can see why they would listen to offers for him. They have enough cover in the middle and even to fiddle with the front 3.

image_zps10d7697e.jpg

That's not their most frequently used players though - Villa started 23 games in La Liga, Sanchez started 25, and Cesc started 28, which is the second most for any of their outfield players (only Valdez and Messi started more times than him in La Liga).

He's more likely to be playing as either the false 9 or in Villa's position than Cesc now.
Fabregas would likely be behind him in the pecking order.

Cesc essentially has a choice between playing from Barca's bench or being the main man at United.

Sorry i was talking about last season. Obvious with Neymar now in he covers both Villa and Cesc.

That's not their most frequently used players though - Villa started 23 games in La Liga, Sanchez started 25, and Cesc started 28, which is the second most for any of their outfield players (only Valdez and Messi started more times than him in La Liga).

I know its going off their silly whoscored ratings but given the formation they play where is Cesc going to hold down a regular spot?

Okay lets put this into relevance to Fabregas. When he plays he doesn't play as a midfield 3. Thats the only thing that counts about this formation review.

image_zps10d7697e.jpg

Maybe Fabregas behind Messi and Neymar. I don't see why can't he start games in Barca, its not like he has any playing time issue last season.

The new Barca manager is only flying to Barcelona today. This transfer may well be put to bed during his first press conference. Things may only have seemed to be "ongoing" because he has not had a chance to get involved yet. If he demands that Barca keep Cesc then that is that probably.

His first press conference is tomorrow. I guess we will find out then.

Nope. I fully expect him to say he's not for sale.

But nice assumption anyway.

Yes, if there is any kind of "definitive" statement by the manager ("Cesc is central to my plans for Barca and has told me he wants to stay")then its more likely to be a negative one as regards a transfer. If he diverts the question then it means there is still a chance.

Same situation with Rooney, he's not for sale, but if the price is right I'm sure club is willing to negotiate.

Just in this case it's the player that doesn't want out, so don't think there's any real chance of United getting Fabregas.

Same situation with Rooney, he's not for sale, but if the price is right I'm sure club is willing to negotiate.

Just in this case it's the player that doesn't want out, so don't think there's any real chance of United getting Fabregas.

Thats pure speculation. Fabregas could have categorically stated, on the record that he wont be leaving, instead he's stayed quiet.

He may not be intent on leaving but there's clearly a possibility of it happening or United would have given up. Agents will be speaking to the club, of that you can be sure and they must have received some encouragement.

Thats pure speculation. Fabregas could have categorically stated, on the record that he wont be leaving, instead he's stayed quiet.

He may not be intent on leaving but there's clearly a possibility of it happening or United would have given up. Agents will be speaking to the club, of that you can be sure and they must have received some encouragement.
This! Of course it could all fall on its arse in a flash but there is definitely a chance that this could happen. Fabregas's dream of playing for Barca has not yet quite lived up to expectations and he may decide to move on, Barca may need cash to sign an elite defender, new manager may or may not wade in with I love Fabregas plea to Barca board. There is a lot to consider so this may or may not happen but to dismiss it out of hand is just pessimism which as far as signing midfielders is concerned Utd fans can't really be blamed for.

This! Of course it could all fall on its arse in a flash but there is definitely a chance that this could happen. Fabregas's dream of playing for Barca has not yet quite lived up to expectations and he may decide to move on, Barca may need cash to sign an elite defender, new manager may or may not wade in with I love Fabregas plea to Barca board. There is a lot to consider so this may or may not happen but to dismiss it out of hand is just pessimism which as far as signing midfielders is concerned Utd fans can't really be blamed for.

Its clearly a complicated potential transfer.

Do I think its nailed on to happen? Not at all. Do I think that United would be wasting a huge amount of time on trying to get it done if there was absoltuely no chance and the player wasnt interested? No.

Its bizzare that people seem to think its like FootballManager - i.e. have a bid accepted and then speak to the player. Clearly that is not how it works.

To end the speculation, all Fabregas has to do is commit his future to Barca - either publically or even in private to United's representatives. The whole thing then becoems pointless and that's that. For things to be rumbling on at this stage, he clearly hasn't told United they are wasting their time and seems to have concerns about whether Barca is the right place for him to be.

He did say recently about being happy at Barcelona and not thinking about leaving anywhere? Think I've read it somewhere , but it could be I'm wrong about it.

Barcelona stated publicly he's not for sale (as we did with Rooney), yet we keep bidding, and Chelsea also seems to keen on another bid for Rooney, which means there's something going on behind closed doors at both clubs.

It's the player word that could have last word, I'm sure Rooney would bite his hand off on the chance of working with Mourinho, while I just don't see Fabregas going to United and that's just my opinion, or my speculation, whatever suits you better.

He did say recently about being happy at Barcelona and not thinking about leaving anywhere? Think I've read it somewhere , but it could be I'm wrong about it.

Barcelona stated publicly he's not for sale (as we did with Rooney), yet we keep bidding, and Chelsea also seems to keen on another bid for Rooney, which means there's something going on behind closed doors at both clubs.

It's the player word that could have last word, I'm sure Rooney would bite his hand off on the chance of working with Mourinho, while I just don't see Fabregas going to United and that's just my opinion, or my speculation, whatever suits you better.

Not that I recall. As I said, he could make a statement via his agent to say "I'm categorically not leaving, United are wasting their time". He hasn't done that so I think there's tacit implication that he at least may be considering the move if a deal can be reached. Its not surprising that he's staying quiet - even if he fancies the move he's not going to come out and push for it because it leaves him stranded if it doesnt come off.

Barca have denied he's for sale. The question is whether he's "not for sale" of "only for sale at the right price". He's not a regular, hardly an irreplacable cog and as such I wouldnt be surprised if they would let him go for the right sum.

The Rooney situation is slightly different - Rooney is an obviosuly unhappy player so Chelsea are trying to force his hand to ask for the move if he wants its. United may not want to sell at all, but again, I suspect there is a figure at which he'll be allowed to go.

Fabregas himself hasn't come out and denied the rumours, has he?!

IT'S ON!

Well apart from the few times both he and Barca's president have said he isn't going anywhere and he doesn't want to leave...
Despite all this, this is just a strange saga. Why would we keep bidding for him and going after him, despite it being a completely illogical move from Barca's perspective considering they'd have no midfield cover, and nobody to replace Xavi. You have to think there is some doubt in his mind or Barca's mind and they are open to selling him at a certain price.

As far as I know this was before this current Utd interest became serious and anyway it only takes a second for someone to change their mind so his present silence says more than any past statements imo.

I don't think interest from United changes anything, it's the confidence from the people at Barcelona and the new manager who change his stance on wanting to stay.

He's clearly where he's always wanted to be and succeed but if they're willing to sell him and don't see him as a key element of the team, the situation obviously changes and sentiment is outweighed by a more professional point of view.

Kaveh hasn't had any air time today so my inner muppet is all over the place.

The way I've seen it is that fabregas is happy to stay and fight for his spot so long as barca want him. That's what I thought he's more or less said and that seems right to me. I'd say we're just trying to see how much they want him and that we've weighed up that they may need cash to invest in other areas and so he's available. I don't expect he's pushing for a move just that if they are open to selling him then he's open to moving.

I really wish this was just kept quiet though, not because of any adverse affect on our negotiating position or anything just that it would be such a big transfer for us but also it looks pretty unlikely. It's not a case of buying an established player from a smaller club ie berba with spurs or buying a top young player from a smaller club, but a genuine star from an equally big team. Ignorance is bliss. I suppose though even if it fails at least we know the club is willing to push the boat out still if they think its worth it.

I don't think interest from United changes anything, it's the confidence from the people at Barcelona and the new manager who change his stance on wanting to stay.

He's clearly where he's always wanted to be and succeed but if they're willing to sell him and don't see him as a key element of the team, the situation obviously changes and sentiment is outweighed by a more professional point of view.

Kaveh hasn't had any air time today so my inner muppet is all over the place.

You think he's succeeded at Barca? It's fair to say he's yet to play to his potential for me. I'm not sure he ever will at Barca either, mainly due to the players they have and how they play. With WC next season, he might just be tempted by us.

You think he's succeeded at Barca? It's fair to say he's yet to play to his potential for me. I'm not sure he ever will at Barca either, mainly due to the players they have and how they play. With WC next season, he might just be tempted by us.
I never said that, I said he's where he WANTS to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.