Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're perfect examples as there's no need to make comparisons at all in either scenario. It's not relevant whether they're true or not it's this 'Oh he plays for/is linked to United...in that case he's shite compared to...' nonsense we get. I wouldn't mind betting this is the only time people have thought to compare him to Zidane.

There are shitloads of forward players in Europe not as good as Messi yet who gets compared to him more than Rooney by United/England fans for the sole purpose of giving out about him? And all this before contract hissy fit number 1
I think you need to start following these threads a bit more closely. People aren't interested in putting a player down by comparing to someone clearly much superior. What tends to happen is that a few posters overrate a player to ridiculous proportions by stating them to be as good as a player much better than then. THEN they get told (rightfully) that what they said simply isn't the case. That's why most of these stupid comparisons take place. Not because fans love to put down their own players.

What would Barcelona's plan be if they let Fabregas go? Midfield wise
Apparently they need cash. That's the only reason they'd let him go IMO. So they'd probably go for someone who would cost less than they sell him for and who'd be on lower wges.

1.Iniesta, xavi, busquets, song, neymar, messi, new signing, new signing
2.?????
3.profit

I don't get where the comparisons with Zidane starts. Everyone we have (or may have) immediately gets compared unfavourably to someone else. Rooney to Messi being another classic example. When we had Ronaldo the same went. I dunno if it's a United thing but it's definitely an 'English' thing. If you play for us or in the PL you're half the player than if you move and play overseas where you'll instantly become more awesome. If you move back the unfavourable comparisons start again.

This is so true. United fans have a serious thing about our players. Suggest that as a team we're not up there with the big boys, and you get instantly shouted down, and rightly so. Suggest that our players are anywhere near as good as the players in the top European teams and you'll get laughed at.

It's so illogical. I mean, are we going the RAWK route of claiming that we've got a shit team full of shit players who SAF just magically dragged over the line again and again?

Rooney is the epitome of this. Opposition fans love to slate him because he's so important to us and is easy to hate. But I guarantee deep down the vast majority of them rate him a lot higher than half the caftards on here.

Apparently they need cash. That's the only reason they'd let him go IMO. So they'd probably go for someone who would cost less than they sell him for and who'd be on lower wges.

Have there been any rumours about who they'd possibly go for? I reckon most players would be branded the same way Fabregas has - sloppy and wasteful in comparison.

The world has gone mad with these prices. 40m for Suarez is insulting!?

This thread is becoming retarded. He's a quality player in his own right but for gods sake, get a grip. Zidane, it is not even worth discussing it is that stupid.

He still gets minutes:

Fabregas:

La Liga: 2303 minutes
Champions League: 528 minutes
Copa Del Rey: 400 minutes

Total: 3231 minutes

Xavi:

La Liga: 2191 minutes
Champions League: 944 minutes
Copa Del Rey: 355 minutes

Total: 3490 minutes

Iniesta:

La Liga: 2095 minutes
Champions League: 803 minutes
Copa Del Rey: 434 minutes

Total: 3332 minutes

This was for the 12/13 season.

I don't think 'minutes' is quite good enough for a player of his quality.

710270780.png
Fabregas to Manchester United could happen says Spanish newspaper

Since the rumours started in England of a move by Manchester United for Cesc Fabregas, they've not been too bothered about the situation in Spain. Given how big the story has been in England, it's largely been ignored in Spain because they thought the
possibility

of a deal happening was so remote. There hasn't been front page after front page like there was with the pursuit of Thiago and there haven't been new slants put on the rumour every day.
mundocesc2.PNG

Today Mundo Deportibo change that slightly and carry news of Manchester United's
new

bid on their front page, even if it's just a small section. The exclamation marks suggest they are surprised that a bid has gone as high as€40m but they have a separate article claiming that the transfer is now more possible than it was under Tito Vilanova.
Mundo say that Fabregas was untouchable for Vilanova who saw him as essential to his plans, they're not sure whether the new manager will think the same and say that things could change, especially if Manchester United improve their offer further.
A negative on it is that they mention his friendship with Cesc Fabregas and how that could make the club less happy to sell him. The two holidayed together again this summer and are very good
friends

. Messi is increasingly powerful at Barcelona and it's no coincidence that the new coach is from the same Argentine city as Messi and friends with his family.
Nevertheless, it's highly possible that Martino will have his own ideas and want to bring at least one player in, for that he'd need funds and the sale of Fabregas would provide plenty of those. Both Catalan newspapers today
talk

in length again about the club's need to bring in a top central defender, and they're going to need to find some money for that having spent so much on Neymar and contract renewals.
Seems the Spanish press are just warming to this saga.

I think Barca will be swooping very quickly for oliver torres if they decide to cash in on cesc and will have 20 million left over from a torres swoop to spend on a defender but this manager tata probably knows of some top players in south america that he can buy for cheap so maybe barca wont need to cash in on cesc.....these long drawn out transfer dramas that lead to nothing are the most painful and we seem to go this route every summer

And so it drags on even further.....This may just run until the final day of the transfer window.

If the new manager states this week that Cesc is staying, and sees the teams future building around him, then we can put this to bed.

Potentially. Fabregas has already been the best midfielder in England and would probably be again if he came back. Plus it's easy to forget that he wasn't at all far off Xavi and Iniesta in his last season at Arsenal. Respectable pundits were genuinely wondering if he might not be able to unseat one of those two. It's probably fair that his reputation has gone downhill a bit since being a little underwhelming at Barca, even if it hasn't really been his fault. But it shouldn't rewrite history. He was up there with those two when he was playing in a team and a system that suited him as well as theirs suits them. And he could be again.

For me they're still equally desirable targets. Thiago has the best-in-the-world potential, Fabregas has the proven best-in-the-league quality. The only advantages Thiago had were that he was going cheap, and that we'd have had him for longer.

Fabregas never was on the level of Xavi and Iniesta. He was good and was the best midfielder in England but his main competitors for that 'title' were an aging Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard who were all more than 30 years old. Xavi and Iniesta will go on all time greats, not sure if Fabregas will even be near that. That's not something bad of course, probably only the likes of Zidane, Scholes and Pirlo (from the last decade or so) are on that tier of XavIesta.

Even in the THiago thread I said that even for the same price I would have preferred Thiago. Fabregas is better right now, but Thiago can become the best midfielder in the world.

Higher ceiling that Fabregas would mean somewhere around Maradona / Zidane

And that's if he reaches that ceiling....

Thiago is thiago, but cesc is proven.

Higher ceiling than Fabregas would mean somewhere around Xavi and Iniesta (or Scholes and Pirlo at their best). Unless you think that Fabregas can become better than he is, which I doubt. I also don't think that Fabregas reached his potential, he was an excellent dribbler and had a fairly good speed some years ago, things that he doesn't have anymore.

I hate the experts in here that think Thiago will become a better player than Fabregas.

Surely we need the best we can get NOW?

I don't think its appropriate to say he 'will', no one knows what will happen during the course of Thiago's career. But 'can' is definitely a valid opinion, he has more ability in my opinion. But as Cider said, lets forget Thiago and focus on the potential purchase at hand.

I fecking hate the term 'ceiling'.

Thankyou! It sounds so false for me.. it's impossible to judge, I don't think anyone has a ceiling... an expected level perhaps from which they can surpass or fall short on.. but a ceiling? Not so much...

In terms of Fabregas, its scary to think we could have him next to Carrick.... Can't see it happening, but I couldn't see others happening in the past such as Veron, Ferdinand, Rooney, RVP .... In fact the only one I didn't think that would happen that didn't, was Schweiny

I don't think its appropriate to say he 'will', no one knows what will happen during the course of Thiago's career. But 'can' is definitely a valid opinion, he has more ability in my opinion. But as Cider said, lets forget Thiago and focus on the potential purchase at hand.

Don't know too much about Thiago myself, but in my view Fabregas is a top player, proven playing in a variety of positions around the midfield. He scores goals when played advanced, and he has the passing range and vision to be able to playmake from deeper areas too. Plus he knows the English game inside out after 7 years here.

Who will end up being regarded as the better player, who knows? But i have no doubt Fabregas is the better option for us as of right now. Thiago is still an unknown quantity at this point. Although his ability is obvious, he still hasn't established himself as a regular in a top side as of yet. Which casts at least some doubt as to how he will regularly perform anywhere, never mind here in England.

Personally i will be delighted if we get Cesc, i think he has all the attributes we are looking for to improve our midfield.

I still maintain we were never in for Thiago.

But the Spain international's father Mazinho has now confirmed that Thiago DID have talks with United, but chose to sign for Bayern instead.
"Thiago was close to joining Manchester United this summer, there were talks before the U21 Euro [Championship]," Mazinho told La Xarxa.
"Thiago is happy. He wanted to leave, Barca accepted it. Guardiola was crucial, he has been very important in Thiago's life."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...-manchester-united-move-says-stars-father-20?

Don't know too much about Thiago myself, but in my view Fabregas is a top player, proven playing in a variety of positions around the midfield. He scores goals when played advanced, and he has the passing range and vision to be able to playmake from deeper areas too. Plus he knows the English game inside out after 7 years here.

Who will end up being regarded as the better player, who knows? But i have no doubt Fabregas is the better option for us as of right now. Thiago is still an unknown quantity at this point. Although his ability is obvious, he still hasn't established himself as a regular in a top side as of yet. Which casts at least some doubt as to how he will regularly perform anywhere, never mind here in England.

Personally i will be delighted if we get Cesc, i think he has all the attributes we are looking for to improve our midfield.

Agreed and the last line pretty much says it all really.

But the Spain international's father Mazinho has now confirmed that Thiago DID have talks with United, but chose to sign for Bayern instead.
"Thiago was close to joining Manchester United this summer, there were talks before the U21 Euro [Championship]," Mazinho told La Xarxa.
"Thiago is happy. He wanted to leave, Barca accepted it. Guardiola was crucial, he has been very important in Thiago's life."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...-manchester-united-move-says-stars-father-20?

Fair enough.

Sounds like it was all going to plan until Guardiola made that phone call. I guess once he found out Thiago was happy to leave he pulled out all the stops. Gutted really but hey that life.

Sounds like it was all going to plan until Guardiola made that phone call. I guess once he found out Thiago was happy to leave he pulled out all the stops. Gutted really but hey that life.

No point criticizing Moyes etc for this one. If Guardiola had extended his holiday in New York then they would have got Thiago.

So we were after both Thiago & Fabregas form the start then, I would say.

If we really were after both and not just Cesc as a backup, that would suggest we are after two midfielders not just one this summer.

Carrick
Modric Fabregas

We're struggling to acquire one, but imagine if we managed to get them both haha.

I think we'll go for Fellaini but know his buy out stipulation so aren't hurrying ourselves lads.

No point criticizing Moyes etc for this one. If Guardiola had extended his holiday in New York then they would have got Thiago.

Agreed, i am happy at the quality of player Moyes is looking at for our midfield. We tried hard to get Thiago, but in the end he opted to go with his old boss at the CL winners. I don't really see what anyone feels Moyes could have done differently, apart from having a shorter holiday.....! :D

Another serious attempt to sign Cesc straight after too. Really SAF has left us desperate for a midfielder, which is why so many fans are panicking as the window progresses. But that is a problem moyes has inherited, rather than created himself. He is doing as much as we can expect to sign midfielders of the highest quality. Hopefully Moyes intent will be rewarded with the signing of Cesc, and we will all feel much better going into the new season.

I think we'll go for Fellaini but know his buy out stipulation so aren't hurrying ourselves lads.

Other than the fact that Fellaini has played under Moyes for a few years, has there been any solid evidence to indicate that we're intersted? It's quite lazy to say that it's inevitable that we'll end up with him just because we hired his old manager. Either way though, Moyes will know if he's good enough for us, seeing as he's worked with him for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.