Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll go for Fellaini but know his buy out stipulation so aren't hurrying ourselves lads.

That doesn't stop anyone else making a move for him. Why do people try and pretend they know what is going on? It's really tedious.

But the Spain international's father Mazinho has now confirmed that Thiago DID have talks with United, but chose to sign for Bayern instead.
"Thiago was close to joining Manchester United this summer, there were talks before the U21 Euro [Championship]," Mazinho told La Xarxa.
"Thiago is happy. He wanted to leave, Barca accepted it. Guardiola was crucial, he has been very important in Thiago's life."

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...-manchester-united-move-says-stars-father-20?

Pretty obvious that this was the case, people just trying to say we were never in for him were hoping that was the case so it didn't seem like we 'lost out' on him.

Other than the fact that Fellaini has played under Moyes for a few years, has there been any solid evidence to indicate that we're intersted? It's quite lazy to say that it's inevitable that we'll end up with him just because we hired his old manager. Either way though, Moyes will know if he's good enough for us, seeing as he's worked with him for so long.

Agreed, he will know by now if he can improve our squad.

According to Mundo Deportivo people who spend large amounts of time translating articles from foreign newspapers regarding transfer stories need to get a life.

I don't get where the comparisons with Zidane starts. Everyone we have (or may have) immediately gets compared unfavourably to someone else. Rooney to Messi being another classic example. When we had Ronaldo the same went. I dunno if it's a United thing but it's definitely an 'English' thing. If you play for us or in the PL you're half the player than if you move and play overseas where you'll instantly become more awesome. If you move back the unfavourable comparisons start again.

If you are really that inflicted by the comparison, you should read back to where it camr from. The suggestion was any better than Fab and uoi would have Zidane. Given the debate began with a comparison with Thiago, and neither play for us, and both were Barca players being linked to us, I think you can allow people the credit of forwarding a genuine opinion.

In their respective threads this summer, somr people have state a preference for Thiago, and given we are referring to two Barca players (at the time) , maybe people just actually thought that.

Pretty obvious that this was the case, people just trying to say we were never in for him were hoping that was the case so it didn't seem like we 'lost out' on him.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it's certainly not what I was thinking. Based on the fact that Munich just waltzed in & brought him in a couple of days with hardly so much as a by your leave, led me to think that the weeks of speculation were just paper bollocks & the reason we were sniffing around Barce was to buy Fabregas not Thiago.

It now appears that I was mistaken & we were in for him after all, but I doubt with any great conviction. He was always waiting for the call from Pep & we were just a fall back if it didn't come off.

I can't help thinking we should have moved for Fabregas much earlier than we did, at the beginning of June, but Moyes was sunning himself on the beach at the time :smirk:

I hate the experts in here that think Thiago will become a better player than Fabregas.

Surely we need the best we can get NOW?

I'm guessing the view was that Thiago is also ready NOW, in addition to having great potential. I doubt people want us to sign Messi's son instead because he might be very good one day.

Of course we were in for him. Guardiola clearly swung the tide for Bayern though. No shame what so ever in that transfer for us. Both fantastic sides and they had the added positive/bonus of having a guy in charge that Thiago seems to be close with and has worked under before.

Stayed out of this thread as the actual news get's hidden by pages and pages of madness. The change in manager has probably put this one right up in the air. I'd say there's a chance it might hamper our bid for him if anything, with the new manager coming in and wanting to keep Fabregas. Who knows though, could swing either way.

Beast of a player and would likely be immense alongside Carrick. A midfield three of Carrick, Fabregas and Kagawa (with Kagawa as the attacking midfielder) could likely provide the perfect balance that we're craving for in the middle. Not confident what so ever this one will happen, but if we did pull it off it'd quite likely be up there with some of the best signings we've made for quite some time.

I'm guessing the view was that Thiago is also ready NOW, in addition to having great potential. I doubt people want us to sign Messi's son instead because he might be very good one day.

Messi's son is unproven in the EPL. ;) But I hear you.

Yeah, he really was perfect for us because of his current ability and because how good he can become, and there was no need to haggle around the price. Being a squad player in Barca's midfield at that age means you can probably start for most of the other top teams around the world.

I think we were in for Thiago, but missed out. It happens, and if I was a former Barca youngster with no affiliation to United I'd choose Bayern too.

I also think, and always have, that Fabregas is the better option for us now. IMO he is probably the best possible midfielder we could sign (if we could get him obviously).

We are always about buying young potential and developing them into stars. We still do that, and the likes of Jones, Welbeck, the twins, DdG etc. will hopefully go that way. At the same time we've been quite decent at buying established players that can go right in and lift our first eleven. Van Persie did that, Rio did that, Carrick did that etc. At the moment I think we need an established and proven midfielder to improve us. Fabregas is just that. Thiago might have become that player in a year or two (or perhaps even this year), but it is more uncertain.

I would basically cream myself if we'd end up with either of Fabregas or Modric after this window...

I think we were in for Thiago, but missed out. It happens, and if I was a former Barca youngster with no affiliation to United I'd choose Bayern too.

I also think, and always have, that Fabregas is the better option for us now. IMO he is probably the best possible midfielder we could sign (if we could get him obviously).

We are always about buying young potential and developing them into stars. We still do that, and the likes of Jones, Welbeck, the twins, DdG etc. will hopefully go that way. At the same time we've been quite decent at buying established players that can go right in and lift our first eleven. Van Persie did that, Rio did that, Carrick did that etc. At the moment I think we need an established and proven midfielder to improve us. Fabregas is just that. Thiago might have become that player in a year or two (or perhaps even this year), but it is more uncertain.

I would basically cream myself if we'd end up with either of Fabregas or Modric after this window...

Proof is not required when the time comes.

Imo he didn't choose Bayern, he chose Pep. Had Pep been our manager I reckon he would be paying here. I posted some quotes from his Dad in the Thiago thread and its clear Pep was the main factor.

So enough about Thiago and stop licking your wounds, that boat had sailed long ago

Any new developments today on the player of this thread?

Yet, you just know, people will still spout "Moyes 'lost' Thiago!1!" as soon as we go one-nil down to Atletico Fray Bentos in a Taiwanese friendly or whatever...

Stop spouting bullshit. It's really tiring that some of you act like every caf member that isnt acting like a fecking Top Red is a retard.

Stop spouting bullshit. It's really tiring that some of you act like every caf member that isnt acting like a fecking Top Red is a retard.
Have you missed the hundreds of posts about us losing out on top players due to Moyes' lack of appeal?

Or maybe you didn't see (probably the same) morons go buck mad and cry tales of woe after losing a pre season friendly?

Steve is only taking the piss but his point is more than valid.

Sky's so called sources say that Barca are willing to listen to offers of £35m and up, as well as Fabregas himself considering his future.

Load of shite.

Lot depends on the new Barca manager now. I still don't believe Cesc wants to leave, but when your club starts considering bids from other clubs, it wouldn't make him feel particularly wanted! He could issue a statement expressing his anger and confusion......!

If Martino really wants Fab to stay, i think that will be the end of it. He will stay.

As a sidenote, if Vilanova is staying on and working alongside Martino in some capacity, we could end up with 'Tito Tata' to replace tiki taka! :D

I reckon if we bid around £40m they'd accept it.

Yep, they are likely to want a big fee for the same reason we do for Rooney. They will have to pay up his contract because he has not issued a transfer request. He may not be on as much as Rooney (allegedly :p ), but he has 3 years left iirc, so that sum will obviously impact upon how much they eventually walk away with from the deal.

Fabregas facing up crucial decision

"United are wasting their time. It took a long time for Cesc to get his dream move back home and he won't give it up.

cescfabregaswoe20130427_275x155.jpg

GettyImagesCesc Fabregas has struggled for regular playing time at Barcelona

"This is home, it is where his family is, and he is playing with his closest friends. He has told us that he is happy."

That's what Gerard Pique told the Sunthis week. And it makes perfect sense. You'll remember the annual tedious, drawn-out transfer sagas that finally ended on August 15, 2011. The controversy of the Barca shirt at Spain's World Cup celebrations… the will he, won't he? Of course he won't and how couldn't he?

Well, he did and if it was an unsettling year for Arsenal fans, just imagine what Cesc Fabregas was going through.

Now, having finally returned home to his family, Catalonia and Barca after leaving them all as a 16-year-old, would he really pack his bags again just two years on?

If El Mundo Deportivo is to be believed, the answer is yes. Because, despite what his pal Pique said, it hasn't been a particularly happy return home for Fabregas the footballer. Social life aside, the midfielder will be anxious to enjoy his football next season as, at 26, he is now 'middle aged' in footballing terms. He's already had 10 years at the top, and it's very unlikely he'll have 10 more.

With another Fabregas transfer saga rumbling on, El Mundo Deportivo claims that the former Arsenal player "has considered a move back to England". And with the prospect of a season on the Barca bench and United keen for him to fill Scholes' boots for double his current wages, why wouldn't he?

Because at the Camp Nou, Cesc has a problem - he won't get in the starting XI next season, not regularly anyway. And after his performances last term, the fans wouldn't be that bothered to see him go.

Thiago Alcantara left Barca because he didn't want to play second fiddle to Xavi and Iniesta in midfield, leaving the fiddle for Fabregas to pluck away on whilst he sat on the bench.
neymarbarcelonaunveiling20130603_275x155.jpg

AssociatedNeymar signed for Barcelona in a €57 million move from Santos.

Neymar's arrival is doubly damaging for the former Arsenal midfielder: firstly it means Iniesta will drop from attack into midfield more regularly, alongside Xavi and Busquets, leaving Messi, Neymar and a winger (Pedro, Alexis, Tello or Cuenca) to lead the line. And secondly, when Messi is rested or unavailable, the Brazilian forward will be second in line for the 'false nine' role, where Fabregas was often employed under both Guardiola and Vilanova.

If he stays at Barcelona, the 26-year-old will probably be left to scrounge for playing time when others are injured or rested. And at 33, Xavi has got at least a season or two left in him, so Fabregas will have to be patient before he takes up that mantle.

After a great start on his return in 2011 - including four goals in his first four league games - the fans began to lose patience in their prodigal son last season and Cesc was often on the receiving end of frustrated tuts and whistles from the Camp Nou faithful.

But the stats, at first glance, are surprising. Last season, between filling in for Messi in attack and getting the nod in the middle, Fabregas played in 48 games in all competitions for Barca, including 30 league starts. And he scored 14 goals. Not bad for a disappointing year.

But when you look more closely, the cracks start to appear.

Tito Vilanova saw Fabregas not as his solutions man, but the one who made way when something more was needed. In the big games, or when Barca had their backs to the wall, Fabregas was often either dragged off on the hour mark - generally the time managers will make their first change when things aren't going to plan - or he was left on the bench. Maybe the cause or the effect of his plunge in confidence.

The midfielder played a total of just eight minutes over two legs in the Supercopa against Real Madrid at the start of the season: he made a brief appearance in the first leg and was an unused substitute at the Santiago Bernabeu.

On week two of La Liga, with Barca losing 1-0 away at Osasuna, Fabregas was replaced on 62 minutes before Messi's brace won the game.

The following week in a tight 1-0 win against Valencia, he was again brought off on the hour mark with Barca hanging on without him for all three points.

In El Clasico at the Camp Nou in early October, the midfielder was replaced after 61 minutes once more, with the game finishing 2-2.

Down to 10 men and leading 4-3 in a crazy game away at Depor two weeks later, Tito sacrificed Fabregas after an hour, bringing on Xavi to steady the ship for the final 30 minutes.

He played a total of just 20 minutes in two physical and tense Champions League games against Celtic. And in Barca's first league defeat of the season against Real Sociedad in January, Fabregas was replaced again on 58 minutes.

A pattern was emerging and it would continue in other crucial games, including defeats against Milan in the Champions League and Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey - at the Camp Nou. Both times Fabregas was the man Tito substituted with half an hour remaining, when the former Barca manager was desperate for something to change.

In the Champions League quarter-finals the Catalans were heading out after Javier Pastore's opener for PSG, before Pedro equalised in the 71st minute - 10 minutes after Fabregas had been hauled off.

When the going got tough, Cesc Fabregas's number was up. Literally.

He was an unused substitute in two massive Champions League clashes: the all-important second leg against Milan, when Barca turned the tie on its head hammering the Italians 4-0, and the humbling at the hands of Bayern Munich in the first semi-final.

cescfabregasarsenalceleb_275x155.jpg

GettyImagesCesc Fabregas was the main man during his time at Arsenal

There are exceptions. Fabregas played in some big games and scored a few important goals - a brace at Sevilla with Barca 2-0 behind and the opener at the Bernabéu in the first leg of the Copa del Rey semi-final. Also, in a side with so much quality, playing so many fixtures, rotation is inevitable. But Fabregas is not the midfield general he was at Arsenal and could be at United.

Whereas he was replaced 11 times after an hour last term, Arsene Wenger substituted his captain just once before the 65 minute mark in his entire final season with the Gunners - excluding injuries - when Arsenal were leading Shakhtar Donetsk 3-0 in a Champions League group game and Fabregas had just netted a penalty. And it's inconceivable that Wenger would have left the Spaniard on the bench for a must-win game.

At Arsenal he was the solution when a change was needed, at Barca he's the change when a solution is needed. And next season, with the arrival of Neymar, Fabregas will play an even more insignificant role than he has already, which just isn't right for a player of his ability and skill.

If the decision to return to Barca in 2011 was made with his heart, maybe this time Fabregas needs to put his career first.

Anyone with a sensical and honest mind sure will understand we were very interest in him and would admit that we were losing him out. Only those stubborn one with no sense of judgment couldn't figure that one out no matter how obvious the situation present. They will only think in black and white, no official bid and no public announcement that is, and therefore we are never in for him.

Is anyone else worried by the fact that Cesc and the new manager seem to be close?
Mundo say that Fabregas was untouchable for Vilanova who saw him as essential to his plans, they're not sure whether the new manager will think the same and say that things could change, especially if Manchester United improve their offer further.
A negative on it is that they mention his friendship with Cesc Fabregas and how that could make the club less happy to sell him. The two holidayed together again this summer and are very good
friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.