Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potentially. Fabregas has already been the best midfielder in England and would probably be again if he came back. Plus it's easy to forget that he wasn't at all far off Xavi and Iniesta in his last season at Arsenal. Respectable pundits were genuinely wondering if he might not be able to unseat one of those two. It's probably fair that his reputation has gone downhill a bit since being a little underwhelming at Barca, even if it hasn't really been his fault. But it shouldn't rewrite history. He was up there with those two when he was playing in a team and a system that suited him as well as theirs suits them. And he could be again.

For me they're still equally desirable targets. Thiago has the best-in-the-world potential, Fabregas has the proven best-in-the-league quality. The only advantages Thiago had were that he was going cheap, and that we'd have had him for longer.
He wasn't up there with xavi and iniesta. He's a great player but not at their level.

He wasn't up there with xavi and iniesta. He's a great player but not at their level.

Xavi and Iniesta had been playing for Barca for years. They know each players strengths and weaknesses, what they are good on etc. Its difficult to break into Barca's team. I bet Fabregas, Xavi and Iniesta would have found it difficult to break into our treble side.

If its true that Arsenal have placed a 40m bid for an overrated striker whose playing with a mid table EPL club then how much would Fabregas cost?

What has been the Barca supporters response to this speculation? And to the lack of clear response from their club?

I'm all for laughing at you numpties, and I have already in this thread, but something smells a bit off to me.

What has been the Barca supporters response to this speculation? And to the lack of clear response from their club?

I'm all for laughing at you numpties, and I have already in this thread, but something smells a bit off to me.

Tbh, aside from press speculation and a resounding hands-off from Pique, there's been very little of official note in this whole saga, other than what Moyes has said.

FC Barca (the poster!) has said many times previously that he personally thinks Cesc is expendable.

Fabregas has said that he doesn't want to leave once already this summer. For whatever reason, that doesn't count.

True. But that was said prior to our bids going in. Plenty of players have stated they want to stay at the club in the past before leaving. Cesc's silence following our bids is quite instructive. How hard is it for Barca/Cesc to put out a statement saying this is a waste of time because there won't be a deal...?

Which is where I was going.................

There's been no statement!

You guys need to start getting excited again.

Last I read, Fabregas was "considering his future". Now in the grand scheme of things, that means feck all. Of course he's considering his future: one of Europe's top sides want to sign him. Bound to make some impression is that. Let's hope it's enough to make him sign.

Can't understand the negative bit, at all. If we received 2 bids for RVP and we heard from 'sources' after the second increased bid that he was 'considering his future' we'd, rightly, be a little concerned.

Which is where I was going.................

There's been no statement!

You guys need to start getting excited again.

Thiago scarred us badly. Besides, it's hard to get excited about central midfielders any more, deep down you just know United won't sign any of them.

Agree with lack of excitement. Transfer sagas are much more fun when Olly and Jeston are slapping us in the face with gifs, or every other post contains the word 'on' or some sort of pun involving. You pessimists are boring.

True. But that was said prior to our bids going in. Plenty of players have stated they want to stay at the club in the past before leaving. Cesc's silence following our bids is quite instructive. How hard is it for Barca/Cesc to put out a statement saying this is a waste of time because there won't be a deal...?

Haven't Barca said already that he's not for sale?

Higher ceiling that Fabregas would mean somewhere around Maradona / Zidane

And that's if he reaches that ceiling....

Thiago is thiago, but cesc is proven.

Not sure if serious?

So Fabregas is one tier off the likes of Maradona/Zidane?

I think we were most certainly in for Thiago. I actually think it's mental to think that we weren't given everything that was going around.

I reckon we were in for him but I don't think we ever put in an official bid. We must have been aware of Bayern's interest and wary of his agents role in that case... fearful that any move we made for him would put Cesc off joining us, pretty sure there was an article at the time stating we had never even made an offer.

Not sure if serious?

So Fabregas is one tier off the likes of Maradona/Zidane?
Well Maradona is a level above Zidane, and I don't think its at all outlandish to say Fabregas would be in that level below Zidane, with the potential to join Zidane. He was certainly on his way there in his Arsenal days.

Well Maradona is a level above Zidane, and I don't think its at all outlandish to say Fabregas would be in that level below Zidane, with the potential to join Zidane. He was certainly on his way there in his Arsenal days.

I personally don't think Fabregas has ever come close to being on his way to parring with Zidane.

There's been debate as to whether Iniesta is on the same level as Zidane, let alone Fabregas. Some of us are getting ahead of ourselves here... impressing for Arsenal in the PL does not make you a player worthy of matching Zidane, especially if he hasn't been able to displace Xavi.

There's been debate as to whether Iniesta is on the same level as Zidane, let alone Fabregas. Some of us are getting ahead of ourselves here... impressing for Arsenal in the PL does not make you a player worthy of matching Zidane, especially if he hasn't been able to displace Xavi.
I don't think he'll reach Zidane's level either, but there was a chance there for him during his Arsenal days, but unfortunately, he ended that chance while at Barca.

Anyway, the point is, he definitely belongs in the level below Zidane, which is more than can be said for any midfielder in the PL at the moment.

Fabregas has said that he doesn't want to leave once already this summer. For whatever reason, that doesn't count.

Of course it does, but the suspicion is, he has changed his mind. Something a lot of players do when a big club actually makes them feel wanted. Isn't that right Waynetta?

This fairly simple stuff is all this positivity is based on, that and a steadfast belief by some (myself included) that this club can pull it off.

I cannot see what is wrong with a bit of positivity right now and it irks me that so many "so-called" fans spew their own brand of negativity all of this thread, in order to possess the bragging rights of, "I told you so", should it fail. There are too many stags in here waving their antlers about, from the safety of their keyboard, when what we need right now is flags being waved.

He probably is to be fair but as you say - it's totally subjective. Just for no reason I'd say:
*Best of all time - (Maradona)
*All time Greats - (Zidane)
*Once in a generation
*World class players - (Fabregas)

Boyhood club or not, going from world class player to Barca benchwarmer is hardly living the dream no matter what Pique says. It's entirely understandable (and quite likely IMO) that he would be tempted elsewhere.

I don't think he'll reach Zidane's level either, but there was a chance there for him during his Arsenal days, but unfortunately, he ended that chance while at Barca.

Anyway, the point is, he definitely belongs in the level below Zidane, which is more than can be said for any midfielder in the PL at the moment.
I'm sorry but he never ever had the potential to reach Zidane's level.

Fab was not near Zidane levels. This is probably evidenced by the fact that he has always been a substitute for the national team. It's also evidenced from watching both players kick a ball around.

I'm sorry but he never ever had the potential to reach Zidane's level.

Don't care about players level much, and comparisons are tedious, but between 2006-2010 he was well on his way to being one of the best midfielders on the planet.

So typical lads. Wank over him like a teenage boy buying his first copy of the Sunday Sport. We're linked to him and immediately it turns to "He's not a patch on Zidane"

Fabregas at Arsenal was one of the best midfielders on the planet. World class without doubt but he was never equal to or going to reach Zidane. The fact that he was so polished at a young age means he reached his peak faster than most players. He was pretty much as good as he was ever going to be when he went to Barca. Now I'd say he's probably worse but that has a lot to do with positions/tactics/confidence/game time.

Don't care about players level much, and comparisons are tedious, but between 2006-2010 he was well on his way to being one of the best midfielders on the planet.
And he is one of the best midfielders on the planet. Great player who should be running the show at a top club. But that doesn't mean he had the potential to be as good as the likes of zidane.

Zidane was the best player in the solar system in his time though, so there.

Boyhood club or not, going from world class player to Barca benchwarmer is hardly living the dream no matter what Pique says. It's entirely understandable (and quite likely IMO) that he would be tempted elsewhere.

He still gets minutes:

Fabregas:

La Liga: 2303 minutes
Champions League: 528 minutes
Copa Del Rey: 400 minutes

Total: 3231 minutes

Xavi:

La Liga: 2191 minutes
Champions League: 944 minutes
Copa Del Rey: 355 minutes

Total: 3490 minutes

Iniesta:

La Liga: 2095 minutes
Champions League: 803 minutes
Copa Del Rey: 434 minutes

Total: 3332 minutes

This was for the 12/13 season.

So typical lads. Wank over him like a teenage boy buying his first copy of the Sunday Sport. We're linked to him and immediately it turns to "He's not a patch on Zidane"
What are you even trying to say? That caftards think lesser or fabregas because he's linked to united? Saying he's not near Zidane's level is about as spot on a claim as it gets.

I don't get where the comparisons with Zidane starts. Everyone we have (or may have) immediately gets compared unfavourably to someone else. Rooney to Messi being another classic example. When we had Ronaldo the same went. I dunno if it's a United thing but it's definitely an 'English' thing. If you play for us or in the PL you're half the player than if you move and play overseas where you'll instantly become more awesome. If you move back the unfavourable comparisons start again.

I think we're on to something here. Someone ring Woodward and let him know we should be bidding for Zidane instead.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

I don't get where the comparisons with Zidane starts. Everyone we have (or may have) immediately gets compared unfavourably to someone else. Rooney to Messi being another classic example. When we had Ronaldo the same went. I dunno if it's a United thing but it's definitely an 'English' thing. If you play for us or in the PL you're half the player than if you move and play overseas where you'll instantly become more awesome. If you move back the unfavourable comparisons start again.
But the examples you picked aren't great ones. Rooney is nowhere near messi's level and fabregas is nowhere near Zidane's. Fabregas has hardly become more "awesome" abroad.

But the examples you picked aren't great ones. Rooney is nowhere near messi's level and fabregas is nowhere near Zidane's. Fabregas has hardly become more "awesome" abroad.

They're perfect examples as there's no need to make comparisons at all in either scenario. It's not relevant whether they're true or not it's this 'Oh he plays for/is linked to United...in that case he's shite compared to...' nonsense we get. I wouldn't mind betting this is the only time people have thought to compare him to Zidane.

There are shitloads of forward players in Europe not as good as Messi yet who gets compared to him more than Rooney by United/England fans for the sole purpose of giving out about him? And all this before contract hissy fit number 1

Status
Not open for further replies.