Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been at work - there's a lot of shit in this thread - has there actually been a development today?
Fabregas has been reported to be considering his future. Nothing in quotes though. Heard a murmur about an improved bid for £34m, nothing concrete though.

I can understand not wanting to wade through the shitfest completely, it's depressing.

Well that is a change, from the Barca, we wont sell at any price.

But it's from "Sky Sources".

(The same sources that everyone believes when they talk about negative information).

None at all, other than 'Sky sources' reporting Fabregas is considering his position at Barcelona (which sounds like a lot of bollocks).

Not picking on you, but this is the pessimism I'm talking about. Why do people give more credence to rumours that make out that we have no chance as compared with rumours that state we're in a good position?

Not picking on you, but this is the pessimism I'm talking about. Why do people give more credence to rumours that make out that we have no chance as compared with rumours that state we're in a good position?

It's like they all work for Tabloid newspapers and thus always favour the most hysterical possibility.

You've no clue whether he wants to play here or not, though.

Those brokering the deal might, so why don't we let them try and do it, and leave the spazzing out until it's sorted one way or the other.

Why are you so sure fabregas doesnt want to come here? Are our representatives such idiots so as to bid on players before ascertaining whether he'd be interested in coming? Also, why has there been no statement from fabregas or his agent on the matter? All it'd take is 1 statement from him.

Nobody is spazzing and I'm not at all sure of anything. I just find it a bit odd that we're expending so much effort on a transfer that at this point looks extremely unlikely. After the loss of Thiago its quite obvious as to why Barca don't want to lose another CM. It's like if we lose Rooney, the last thing we'd want is to see Hernandez follow him out the door. So there's a clear reluctance from Barca to sell.

You want a statement from the player? Here's one:

"'There is nothing to say.
'I’m very happy at Barca, and I want to stay for many more years to come."

Yes I know that was June 4th which is ancient history obviously, however the only thing that's really changed since then is that Barca are short one CM, which hypothetically would result in more playing time for Fabregas. This guy pushed so hard for his dream move back home, is now maximum a year or two away from inheriting the Xavi role that he's been anointed as the successor to for ages, and plays for the club he grew up at surrounded by his national teammates in sunny Catalunya.

I'm not saying there's nothing behind these United bids, and I'm not saying its impossible for him to come here. It just seems very unlikely, and whilst our local rivals have hugely strengthened we've stayed stagnant thus far, and may yet lose one or two very talented attackers (Rooney and Nani). No matter how you slice it, it's not been a great couple of months and I worry that chasing such a long shot transfer like this could see us empty handed, going into the toughest challenge we as a club have faced for 26 years.

I'd be thrilled if Fabregas signs with us, but I just don't see it happening. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

I desperately want it to happen, but 'sky sources' reporting anything doesn't sound too convincing IMO. And what exactly would 'considering his position' mean? I guess he is either been doing it for weeks (considering moving on) or he doesn't think about it at all, as he clearly stated back in June. I think the appointment of a new coach doesn't help our case, I doubt much will happen in the next few days before Martino had the chance to speak to Fabregas.

Because it's usually more believable that the status quo won't change rather than thinking that it will.

Yes I know that was June 4th which is ancient history obviously, however the only thing that's really changed since then is that Barca are short one CM, which hypothetically would result in more playing time for Fabregas...

Agree with all your points except this. Fabregas played mostly in Barca's attack and with the arrival of Neymar his playtime will be severely limited IMO. Unless Tata plays here more in midfield, but a Fabregas-Iniesta combo never seemed that it could work.

The only things confirmed so far is that we've made two bids and the first was rejected. Then apart from the Barca players mouthing off, which they seem to love doing, and apparent 'not for sale quotes' from the higher ups (which have us much weight as our stance on Rooney), then we know nothing else for sure.

Cesc has remained silent, which for me is a very big sign that this isn't the complete no-go that some seem to think. This 'saga' could end instantly if he was to pipe up, which he surely would if he had no interest in moving clubs.

Agree with all your points except this. Fabregas played mostly in Barca's attack and with the arrival of Neymar his playtime will be severely limited IMO. Unless Tata plays here more in midfield, but a Fabregas-Iniesta combo never seemed that it could work.

Aye, and to me this is what makes the transfer plausible enough in itself. If Barca intend to keep the system, playing with Xavi and Iniesta in their familiar roles, Fabregas will a) short-term have to play elsewhere on the pitch, where he now has to compete with Neymar for minutes and b) long-term be a suitable replacement for Xavi in the same role, which he doesn't seem to be: He is a different sort of player, not really cut out for the role (which also seems to have made him a relatively unpopular figure with the Barca fans, who don't greatly appreciate what he brings to the table).

People keep repeating the same point: They would be mad to let him go now they've lost Thiago. But in reality they may have regarded both players as surplus to requirements, as strange as that sounds. We'll see what Titi-Tata has to say, but I wouldn't be surprised if he too deems it more prudent to get in a top class defender than to keep Fabregas on the books.

The only things confirmed so far is that we've made two bids and the first was rejected. Then apart from the Barca players mouthing off, which they seem to love doing, and apparent 'not for sale quotes' from the higher ups (which have us much weight as our stance on Rooney), then we know nothing else for sure.

Cesc has remained silent, which for me is a very big sign that this isn't the complete no-go that some seem to think. This 'saga' could end instantly if he was to pipe up, which he surely would if he had no interest in moving clubs.

If everyone talked so much sense there'd be nothing to discuss, and Niall would have to close down the forum.

Cesc can't lose in all of this. If Barca decide they don't want him, he's going to make lots of money and get a big move. Equally he may be able to either get assurances regarding more playing time at Barca, or even possibly a new contract soon enough.

Last I read, Fabregas was "considering his future". Now in the grand scheme of things, that means feck all. Of course he's considering his future: one of Europe's top sides want to sign him. Bound to make some impression is that. Let's hope it's enough to make him sign.

Cesc can't lose in all of this. If Barca decide they don't want him, he's going to make lots of money and get a big move. Equally he may be able to either get assurances regarding more playing time at Barca, or even possibly a new contract soon enough.

It's a big season leading up to the world cup, so he needs to make the right choice.

If he isn't a regular in Barcelona's team, he surely can't be a starter for Spain.
But then if he comes to us and doesn't succeed he has a similar issue.

And coming to us might ruin the esteem Arsenal fans hold him in, as at the moment, he's one of the few high profile players who can go back to their old club with no abuse.

On my phone so i'l just say this. Fabregas isnt going to replace xavi. They couldnt be more different in style. His ideal position eould be where iniesta plays but that spot is booked for A Long time and he doesnt fit the style barca play anyways. As talented As fabregas is, he isnt going to be a peripheral figure for barca unless They change the way They play.

Agreed. I would counter that slightly by saying that so long as the Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta combo is effective, they've had to shoehorn Fabregas into other roles because he really is too talented a player to be sitting on the bench. A bit like how Rooney played all over the place in Europe for us while Ronaldo was around. That will change as Xavi declines (which I believe he has begun to do). I still firmly believe (as United clearly do) that Fabregas' future is as a CM.

On my phone so i'l just say this. Fabregas isnt going to replace xavi. They couldnt be more different in style. His ideal position eould be where iniesta plays but that spot is booked for A Long time and he doesnt fit the style barca play anyways. As talented As fabregas is, he isnt going to be a peripheral figure for barca unless They change the way They play.

Yep. It's incredibly frustrating seeing him on the outskirts there, when here he'd be an absolute diamond.

The prospect of him in his Arsenal form for us, linking up with VP is too much to think about with the very real disappointment of it not happening.

And so the negativity continues.

I am so glad my glass is always kept topped up, not even half full. :devil:

Fair enough, we'll have to agree to disagree there.

My last post was in response to bebe. Dont know why the quote function didnt work.

Agreed. I would counter that slightly by saying that so long as the Busquets-Xavi-Iniesta combo is effective, they've had to shoehorn Fabregas into other roles because he really is too talented a player to be sitting on the bench. A bit like how Rooney played all over the place in Europe for us while Ronaldo was around. That will change as Xavi declines (which I believe he has begun to do). I still firmly believe (as United clearly do) that Fabregas' future is as a CM.

Fabregas future should be in midfield because he operates there best. The problem is that he doesn't suit Barca's style of play and is a completely different player to Xavi. I don't see him as Xavi's hair at all, and for him to be a successful midfielder at Barca they have to change the style. They lost the perfect replacement to Xavi a week or so ago and now the only player I can see replacing him is if they advance Busquets position and play him there, with another player playing as a defensive midfielder. So I think that either Barca will change their style or Cesc will leave them on near future. As it is, I don't think that he'll be happy being a backup for Neymar, Messi and eventually Xavi and Iniesta.

Thats all well and good, but there aren't many Xavis knocking about. Barca would be mad to lose Fabregas after Thiago. Their challenge will be to reinvent themselves with Fabregas a part of that, once Xavi is past it. All top clubs have to do it, there's rarely ever a like for like replacement.

I still can't believe United would be daft enough to pursue this transfer if they weren't getting any encouragement from Barca, Fabregas or his representatives. If Fabregas was so intent on staying he'd easily put a few worded statement. Barca players speaking out against a move for their team mate is also an indication to something happening in the background.

I still can't believe United would be daft enough to pursue this transfer if they weren't getting any encouragement from Barca, Fabregas or his representatives. If Fabregas was so intent on staying he'd easily put a few worded statement. Barca players speaking out against a move for their team mate is also an indication to something happening in the background.

Hope so otherwise this is going to look very much like a Man City style transfer debacle. Shades of Kaka to Wastelands at the moment...

Hope so otherwise this is going to look very much like a Man City style transfer debacle. Shades of Kaka to Wastelands at the moment...
I'm not sure it would be a debacle, or embarrassment as some suggest at all. Deals do collapse for various reasons.

Thats all well and good, but there aren't many Xavis knocking about. Barca would be mad to lose Fabregas after Thiago. Their challenge will be to reinvent themselves with Fabregas a part of that, once Xavi is past it. All top clubs have to do it, there's rarely ever a like for like replacement.

Barca are quite fixated with their style though. Drilled into the players right from their la masia days

Barca doesn't like changing their style that much. Personally I think that eventually either Busquets or a La Masia graduate (Samper perhaps) will get Xavi's place, not Fabregas. Or who knows, they could use Cesc's money to sign some cheap alternatives like Koke or Torres from Atletiko. Not saying that they're going to sell Cecs this summer, but I don't think that his future is there.

Personally, if we don't get Fabregas, I'd be disgusted and embarrassed and would certainly find it difficult to raise any support for the club for at least the coming season. I'm hoping it won't come to this though as the thought of us having bids for players rejected sickens me; I'd be forced to take a long hard look at my emotional ties with the club and decide once and for all whether or not it's worth bothering with football any longer - and to be honest the conclusion I believe I'd likely arrive at is one that would malign me with a depth of sadness, disappointment and an overriding feeling of betrayal which I'm not sure I'd be able to withstand from the viewpoint of my mental health. Bidding for Fabregas is so unprofessional, so undignified and uncouth that serious questions would have to be asked of United's management team and board of executives; and I for one would expect such questions to not just be posed internally, or from the FA or UEFA, but eventually an enquiry from the house of commons I should hope would be forthcoming. I just don't think David Moyes understands the gravity of his position; he certainly does not understand the gravity of his words. Our preseason tour press conferences are being made an absolute mockery of and the situation would seem as being entirely irreparable, there's just no way back from this if Barcelona don't accept our latest bid for Cesc Fabregas. I blame myself in a way; the warning signs were all there from the Thiago fiasco; I should have turned my back then and disassociated myself from the sport immediately - I didn't though, and I've only myself to blame for that. I'm dirty now, tainted with the blood and ink of this atrocity, and that's something I'm just going to have to learn to live with. Whether I can do that remains to be seen. I don't want to be thinking about more final solutions, but I worry that sooner or later I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that perhaps it isn't going to be possible for me to carry on in this suddenly so blackened world.

Hehe well done Cider.

This post should remind everyone out there in "sitting in front of my computer so I can fekking type what I want so I can" land to read the context and get with the humour of the moment before you post some stupid reply about how stupid and ridiculous the poster is when actually he is kinda takin the piss...more than a bit.

It's funny stuff, especially when you respond to it.....

The genius of cider is that he can destroy every other poster here with his cutting satire, and you don't even need to read his posts for him to do it. You see the wall of text and you just know he's done it. He's like Armando Iannucci with a laptop and bad personal hygiene.

Sorry to interrupt you...

The genius of cider is that he can destroy every other poster here with his cutting satire, and you don't even need to read his posts for him to do it. You see the wall of text and you just know he's done it. He's like Armando Iannucci with a laptop and bad personal hygiene.

I think I actually love him.

The stinky bastard.

Status
Not open for further replies.