Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, if we don't get Fabregas, I'd be disgusted and embarrassed and would certainly find it difficult to raise any support for the club for at least the coming season. I'm hoping it won't come to this though as the thought of us having bids for players rejected sickens me; I'd be forced to take a long hard look at my emotional ties with the club and decide once and for all whether or not it's worth bothering with football any longer - and to be honest the conclusion I believe I'd likely arrive at is one that would malign me with a depth of sadness, disappointment and an overriding feeling of betrayal which I'm not sure I'd be able to withstand from the viewpoint of my mental health. Bidding for Fabregas is so unprofessional, so undignified and uncouth that serious questions would have to be asked of United's management team and board of executives; and I for one would expect such questions to not just be posed internally, or from the FA or UEFA, but eventually an enquiry from the house of commons I should hope would be forthcoming. I just don't think David Moyes understands the gravity of his position; he certainly does not understand the gravity of his words. Our preseason tour press conferences are being made an absolute mockery of and the situation would seem as being entirely irreparable, there's just no way back from this if Barcelona don't accept our latest bid for Cesc Fabregas. I blame myself in a way; the warning signs were all there from the Thiago fiasco; I should have turned my back then and disassociated myself from the sport immediately - I didn't though, and I've only myself to blame for that. I'm dirty now, tainted with the blood and ink of this atrocity, and that's something I'm just going to have to learn to live with. Whether I can do that remains to be seen. I don't want to be thinking about more final solutions, but I worry that sooner or later I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that perhaps it isn't going to be possible for me to carry on in this suddenly so blackened world.

Yeah, you already made a thread with this. Get some new material.

Funny how the muppets go into total meltdown. Every year the same shit. Just calm down, we will be fine :)

Funny how the muppets go into total meltdown. Every year the same shit. Just calm down, we will be fine :)

We will be fine thats true. We have a good squad anyway, with some promising youngsters too. I wouldn't mind just getting Fellaini as a different option, but would rather see the youngsters given a chance than us signing the likes of Cabaye or Modric. We're not signing Fabregas, or Bale, or anyone of that ilk. Its just not going to happen.

I'm with Feed Me on this, we risk winding Barca up with repeated offers. A final take it or leave it offer with 40 Million plus add ons should be put on the table... at the end of the day when you're trying to buy big fish, you have to pull your finger out and splash the cash. If they still don't want to sell after that.. walk away.

I think if Barca had any intention of selling then they'd just tell us what price they want.

Yes but they might be hoping United are so desperate they're going to make a bid above their own estimation of Fabregas' worth. For example £37million might be their set value, but they might hope United themselves will make an offer of £40 million and get an extra few million out of the deal.

I've never seen a football club actually come out with their proper estimation of what the player is worth, it usually involves unrealistic prices. I.e. Levy would say modric isn't going for anything less than £40 million when he went for a lot less than that.

I think if Barca had any intention of selling then they'd just tell us what price they want.

Not if they have even the remotest bit of business acumen they wont.

Its a negotiation, we won't tell what our max offer is, they wont say what the minimum is, the game is to try and get the other party as close to their min/max (as applicable) as possible. Everything else you read from 'sources' or 'apparently' or anything else is total and utter bollocks, because there are probably 6 people in the world who are party to the pertinent conversations.

Given how we keep rebidding we MUST be getting some encouragement from somewhere. I think it's very plausible, even likely, that what Barcelona are telling us and what they're telling everyone else is different. The fact our bids keep increasing indicate we've been told their 'bottom line', as it were or at least what they want us to believe it is, and we're trying to negotiate around that to see what figure they're willing to bite at.

I think some are so desperate for this to happen that they're clutching at straws. I mean, Fabregas has already said once this summer that he doesn't want to join us and that he wants to stay there. Pique makes some very valid points today regarding Fabregas chasing this dream for a long time, so why would he give up now?

The way I see it is that Fabregas has publicly said he doesn't want the move, he's told his team mates he is staying and Barca are unwilling to negotiate. I just can't see this one happening at all.

Absolutely everything points to Fabregas not being on the market at all this summer. Everything except for the fact United have made one bid and then make a second. I don't get it. I really don't. I may actually start believing in smoke screens, which I never did.

"This is home. It is where his family is, and he is playing with his closest friends.

"United are wasting their time. It took a long time for Cesc to get his dream move back home and he won't give it up."

"He has told us he is happy and that he intends to stay with Barcelona."

~ Gerard Pique

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...er-united-wasting-their-time-on-cesc-fabregas

Erm Gerard, do you mind having a word with the media for me? This is what I want you to say. My agent keeps telling the Champions of England that I will move to them and they keep bidding, but the truth is I want to stay. I have no idea why the my agent is saying this but I am too scared to tell them to feck off. I wish my agent would tell them to feck off too, but he won't.

Honest!

No, you're in error. We've been rejected once. Don't know where you got this 'again and again' thing. Granted, to assume we've been encouraged to bid by the club, is a pretty big assumption to make.

Once you make it though, none of our conduct seems strange, or indeed the calamity that it's been made out to be. On the contrary.

Ok maybe "again and again" sounds over dramatic. But we've now been rejected, what twice? And apparently we're making a third bid. All good, except that I don't sense any encouragement from the Barca at all.

I'm not saying it's strange or wrong to make multiple bids for a player. But the whole timing of it after the Thiago business, our open declaration that we've got "no budget", "we're after the best players in the world", "we're making a bid for Fabregas" to the media, just didn't help.

Generally I think you don't make such bold statements unless you've already done your homework (like Pep/Bayern with Thiago), or are getting really strong signals from the club or player. Right now it looks like none of the above, on the face of it at least. Am still hoping to be proven wrong.

I think some are so desperate for this to happen that they're clutching at straws. I mean, Fabregas has already said once this summer that he doesn't want to join us and that he wants to stay there. Pique makes some very valid points today regarding Fabregas chasing this dream for a long time, so why would he give up now?

The way I see it is that Fabregas has publicly said he doesn't want the move, he's told his team mates he is staying and Barca are unwilling to negotiate. I just can't see this one happening at all.

Agreed, there's also the fact that "not for sale" does actually at times mean.... "not for sale" instead of a "negotiation tactic" that is always assumed when these words are said.

This place might explode if we did have a bid accepted and Fabregas rejected us, which is possible.

It's obvious the posters who don't want us to sign him purely to say 'I told you so' who apparently believe the much more plausible reality that we're told he isn't for sale and our response is to keep on bidding for him.

I'm gonna go Santa on yo asses and start making a list of people who if he signs will say feck all about it but go into the thread of our next target to say 'lol, isn't happening. This is embarrassing now'

I reckon he could be worth 40m to us, maybe. Hard to see who else we could get that gives us that level of class. Modric perhaps, though he's definitely not as good, and is also a couple of years older.

Still can't see it happening with Fabregas, but even if not, it was definitely worth a try.

The options elsewhere do look to be shrinking a bit. A lot of players have already moved - Thiago obviously, Paulinho, Fernandinho, Fernando, Maher, Strootman, Quintero, Wanyama, Illaramendi, Van Ginkel etc. or committed themselves for longer - Gundogan, Draxler, Hamsik etc. Fellaini/Cabaye/McCarthy seem most likely, and they are not top class.

Cristian Eriksen might be an option, maybe? Bit similar to Kagawa really, and not the passer Fabregas is.

Pretty tempting to let Cleverley at it, and see if we can transfer weight from Anderson to Fletcher to make them backups.

Every player has their price, so the "not for sale" statement is always a case of posturing and trying to drive the asking price up as high as possible.

The issue comes about in the fact that some players' prices are considerably more than their "market value" due to the fact that the selling club want to keep hold of said player and would need to be well compensated if they were to sell.

If we were, for example, to offer £100m for Fabregas, you can guarantee it would be accepted. Obviously we would never go that high but the fact remains that Barcelona will have a figure in their mind that they would consider acceptable. Whether it is a price we are willing to meet is another question and, in truth, nobody knows that except for Barca. Clearly we believe, rightly or wrongly, that their acceptable price is within our range.

The stories yesterday that we'd be willing to walk away if the next offer didn't get accepted I think was a ploy too. As people pointed out there was nothing in the presser to suggest this if you re-read the quotes but it may have been something that was leaked discretely by the club in hope that 'United have limited patience' story would give them an edge somehow in the negotiation.

I reckon he could be worth 40m to us, maybe. Hard to see who else we could get that gives us that level of class. Modric perhaps, though he's definitely not as good, and is also a couple of years older.

Still can't see it happening with Fabregas, but even if not, it was definitely worth a try.

The options elsewhere do look to be shrinking a bit. A lot of players have already moved - Thiago obviously, Paulinho, Fernandinho, Fernando, Maher, Strootman, Quintero, Wanyama, Illaramendi, Van Ginkel etc. or committed themselves for longer - Gundogan, Draxler, Hamsik etc. Fellaini/Cabaye/McCarthy seem most likely, and they are not top class.

Cristian Eriksen might be an option, maybe? Bit similar to Kagawa really, and not the passer Fabregas is.

Pretty tempting to let Cleverley at it, and see if we can transfer weight from Anderson to Fletcher to make them backups.
Fellaini/Cabaye/McCarthy/Barry/Parker coupled with Carrick would make for a solid platform to build upon IMO.

The stories yesterday that we'd be willing to walk away if the next offer didn't get accepted I think was a ploy too. As people pointed out there was nothing in the presser to suggest this if you re-read the quotes but it may have been something that was leaked discretely by the club in hope that 'United have limited patience' story would give them an edge somehow in the negotiation.

We are basically telling them "take it or leave it". Its the right tactic. Its like like Fabregas is the best player in the world, there are other options.

We are basically telling them "take it or leave it". Its the right tactic. Its like like Fabregas is the best player in the world, there are other options.

It's a sign we're getting to the upper end of our scale, certainly. To go from £25m to £40m in a matter of days is a huge jump.

Fellaini/Cabaye/McCarthy/Barry/Parker coupled with Carrick would make for a solid platform to build upon IMO.

Anderson/Cleverley/Powell/Kagawa can all do a job for us also. We have plenty of options. I reckon a lot of people want us to sign Fabregas just for the sake of making a big signing.

Ok maybe "again and again" sounds over dramatic. But we've now been rejected, what twice?
No, once.

And apparently we're making a third bid. All good, except that I don't sense any encouragement from the Barca at all.
I'm not sure why you would expect to sense anything from it, considering you're not really the one negotiating, are you?
I'm not saying it's strange or wrong to make multiple bids for a player. But the whole timing of it after the Thiago business, our open declaration that we've got "no budget", "we're after the best players in the world", "we're making a bid for Fabregas" to the media, just didn't help.
You really don't know if it helped or not. Why should that statement have any bearing anyway?

Generally I think you don't make such bold statements unless you've already done your homework (like Pep/Bayern with Thiago), or are getting really strong signals from the club or player. Right now it looks like none of the above, on the face of it at least. Am still hoping to be proven wrong
You're taking a bizarre leap of logic there to conclude something completely baseless. If United were getting strong signals from the player and/or the club, the whole process would manifest itself exactly the way it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.