Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why exactly will they take us for a ride? For kicks? Or is April 1st?

I'm not the one who's assuming Barca asked us to bid for him in private. This is a question you'll have to direct to that poster.

I for one, simply assumed that we we're blindly making hopeful bids for a player we really want, but in reality have little chance of signing because the club doesn't want to sell.

I'm not the one who's assuming Barca asked us to bid for him in private. This is a question you'll have to direct to that poster.

I for one, simply assumed that we we're blindly making hopeful bids for a player we really want, but in reality have little chance of signing because the club doesn't want to sell.

Do you think United are that unprofessional?

"United are wasting their time.

"It took a long time for Cesc to get his dream move back home and he won't give it up.

"This is home. It is where his family is, and he is playing with his closest friends.

"United are wasting their time. It took a long time for Cesc to get his dream move back home and he won't give it up."

"He has told us he is happy and that he intends to stay with Barcelona."

~ Gerard Pique

An interesting take on events. Puyol was far less non-committal.

Do you think United are that unprofessional?

I hope not. I really hope they accept our latest bid, and Fabregas agrees to join by the end of the week or whenever. I really do. I just think it's highly unlikely.

So if we continue making bids, and they all fail, and we finally give up, and it comes to nothing, how will you view this whole Fabregas affair? In other words, I'm turning the question around and asking: under what kind of circumstances would you consider that United are being "unprofessional"?

I hope not. I really hope they accept our latest bid, and Fabregas agrees to join by the end of the week or whenever. I really do. I just think it's highly unlikely.

So if we continue making bids, and they all fail, and we finally give up, and it comes to nothing, how will you view this whole Fabregas affair? In other words, I'm turning the question around and asking: under what kind of circumstances would you consider that United are being "unprofessional"?

It all comes down to whether we are receiving encouragement, and we may never find that out. If we are being told a deal can be done by Barca/Fabregas, then if we fail to do a deal, that'll have to be chalked down as not being prepared to stump up the cash. I'll not lie, I'll be more than a little disillusioned if it turns out that we have actually been blindly chasing him, with no element of encouragement whatsoever. I can't understand the point in doing that - given our start to the season, surely it would be better to get some realistic transfer targets in through the door and bedded in.

"Oh well, on to the next one"

And you can quote that.

Yes maybe we should move on to Schweinsteiger, and then Yaya Toure after that. We're only after the best midfielders anyway. We've got lots of money to splash and the CEO has time to kill.

"This is home. It is where his family is, and he is playing with his closest friends.

"United are wasting their time. It took a long time for Cesc to get his dream move back home and he won't give it up."

~ Gerard Pique

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...er-united-wasting-their-time-on-cesc-fabregas

There's a lot of people speaking on behalf of Cesc except Cesc himself. Pique is an arse, anyway.

So we had a Barca vice president, Puyol, Pique and Xavi (IIRC) coming out and saying Fabregas will stay put and Rosell writing a letter to us apparently stating we should stay the feck away. I fear this is all coming from Fabregas' agent, seems extremely unlikely we'll get him. £35m is not enough money to convince them IMO.

It all comes down to whether we are receiving encouragement, and we may never find that out. If we are being told a deal can be done by Barca/Fabregas, then if we fail to do a deal, that'll have to be chalked down as not being prepared to stump up the cash. I'll not lie, I'll be more than a little disillusioned if it turns out that we have actually been blindly chasing him, with no element of encouragement whatsoever. I can't understand the point in doing that - given our start to the season, surely it would be better to get some realistic transfer targets in through the door and bedded in.

Well then we're on the same page, but I'm maybe a little more pessimistic.

I too wouldn't want to think we're chasing this blindly, but given the recent statements the club has been making about there being "no budget", I can't imagine money being the stumbling block. Barca aren't the toughest dealers on the market (compared to Spurs, Porto etc), and I don't think they're expecting some ridiculous amount, especially if it's concerning a player they're (privately) really willing to sell.

Do Juve see him as indispensable?

Another one who went to his current club for peanuts...

I've been following Juventus long enough to tell you that if the price is right then they will sell. They sold much bigger players then Vidal (Ex Roberto Baggio and Zidane).

Resume

Vidal is not a homegrown talent, Fab is
Juventus is not as rich as Barca
Barca dont have a reputation of selling players if the price is right
Juventus wage structure is lower then ours. Barca is not

Im not saying that its going to be easy but its easier to go for him then opt for a Barcelona's homegrown talent whose playing at his home club who are currently more attractive and pay more salary then we are.

So we had a Barca vice president, Puyol, Pique and Xavi (IIRC) coming out and saying Fabregas will stay put and Rosell writing a letter to us apparently stating we should stay the feck away. I fear this is all coming from Fabregas' agent, seems extremely unlikely we'll get him. £35m is not enough money to convince them IMO.

Puyol was very non-committal, as was Tito before he resigned. Not sure the VP has much credibility. And the Sport article that claimed Rosell wrote to us stated that the letter was addressed to David Gill, which is quite an inaccuracy to print.

feck it, I'm clinging to the fact that Barcelona could have VERY EASILY come out and stated that we're wasting our time.

Don't think there's anything wrong in what I said. Some people are claiming we're being asked to bid for him in private, but we're getting rejected again and again. Either we're not offering what they asked for, or they're taking us for a ride. In either case, it doesn't make the club look good, the longer this drags out.

No, you're in error. We've been rejected once. Don't know where you got this 'again and again' thing. Granted, to assume we've been encouraged to bid by the club, is a pretty big assumption to make.

Once you make it though, none of our conduct seems strange, or indeed the calamity that it's been made out to be. On the contrary.

Does anyone think we're likely to hear anything on this today? I'm thinking it'll go on the back burner until Tata (or whatever he's called) settles in. Then again, I thought the whole saga would go on hold after Tito's resignation, yet that didn't stop us piling in with another bid.

Not the soundest business sense perhaps, but I don't understand why we don't just offer £40m plus add ons and be done with it - it's only £5m more than what we're widely reported to be bidding next, and I think it's a sum that would really make them think. They'd probably just promote someone like Sergi Roberto and pump the funds into Thiago Silva, which would leave the balance of their squad at least as good.

Puyol was very non-committal, as was Tito before he resigned. Not sure the VP has much credibility. And the Sport article that claimed Rosell wrote to us stated that the letter was addressed to David Gill, which is quite an inaccuracy to print.

feck it, I'm clinging to the fact that Barcelona could have VERY EASILY come out and stated that we're wasting our time.

I'm trying not getting my hopes high, it would be too good.

This. I'm not one of the optimists but even I get a tad angry now. Pique is full of shit anyway tbh. And Xavi didnt say anything

Let's just assume for one moment that Barca have written us a formal letter stating we're wasting our time - I'd say that falls outside of the parameters of normal negotiating tactics to try and bump the price up. I can't see us continuing the go for the player if we were given that response from Barca. I simply refuse to believe we'd be that thick. There's other alternatives out there (not as good, granted) who we could be focusing our sights on instead. Players like Fellaini, Cabaye and Modric (while not being my preference) would still come in and improve us in the midfield area.

Personally, if we don't get Fabregas, I'd be disgusted and embarrassed and would certainly find it difficult to raise any support for the club for at least the coming season. I'm hoping it won't come to this though as the thought of us having bids for players rejected sickens me; I'd be forced to take a long hard look at my emotional ties with the club and decide once and for all whether or not it's worth bothering with football any longer - and to be honest the conclusion I believe I'd likely arrive at is one that would malign me with a depth of sadness, disappointment and an overriding feeling of betrayal which I'm not sure I'd be able to withstand from the viewpoint of my mental health. Bidding for Fabregas is so unprofessional, so undignified and uncouth that serious questions would have to be asked of United's management team and board of executives; and I for one would expect such questions to not just be posed internally, or from the FA or UEFA, but eventually an enquiry from the house of commons I should hope would be forthcoming. I just don't think David Moyes understands the gravity of his position; he certainly does not understand the gravity of his words. Our preseason tour press conferences are being made an absolute mockery of and the situation would seem as being entirely irreparable, there's just no way back from this if Barcelona don't accept our latest bid for Cesc Fabregas. I blame myself in a way; the warning signs were all there from the Thiago fiasco; I should have turned my back then and disassociated myself from the sport immediately - I didn't though, and I've only myself to blame for that. I'm dirty now, tainted with the blood and ink of this atrocity, and that's something I'm just going to have to learn to live with. Whether I can do that remains to be seen. I don't want to be thinking about more final solutions, but I worry that sooner or later I'm going to have to come to terms with the fact that perhaps it isn't going to be possible for me to carry on in this suddenly so blackened world.

Let's just assume for one moment that Barca have written us a formal letter stating we're wasting our time - I'd say that falls outside of the parameters of normal negotiating tactics to try and bump the price up. I can't see us continuing the go for the player if we were given that response from Barca. I simply refuse to believe we'd be that thick. There's other alternatives out there (not as good, granted) who we could be focusing our sights on instead. Players like Fellaini, Cabaye and Modric (while not being my preference) would still come in and improve us in the midfield area.

It's bullshit. WHo the feck writes letters these days? And then SPORT, who know feck all anyway reported they wrote it to David Gill, when actually the guy to talk to is right there in Spain. Well done. This whole vice-president thing was made up imo. So far we only got Pique mouthing off again, and Puyol with a very vague statement.

It's at a point now where even the most optimistic United fan surely fears the worst now.

And makes you wonder what the whole thing was about!

Let's hope the Rooney situation resolves and he sorts himself out, or otherwise we could very easily start the season without a squad improvement and even worse, losing a key player.

And don't start the "still 3 weeks to the start of the season" business, we've just had a month long Thiago saga and now weeks of Fabregas...

It's at a point now where even the most optimistic United fan surely fears the worst now.

Let's hope the Rooney situation resolves and he sorts himself out, or otherwise we could very easily start the season without a squad improvement and even worse, losing a key player.

And don't start the "still 3 weeks to the start of the season" business, we've just had a month long Thiago saga and now weeks of Fabregas...

For me it's totally the other way round. I found this whole saga very strange and didnt think we could get him at all. BUt every day without an official statement from Barcelona makes me believe more and more that there might be something happening. What would be the reason for Barcelona not to come out and say categorically no to any transfer?

~ Gerard Pique

Yes, but what about his baby daughter and milf girlfriend? Have we established that they in fact live in London?
They would be his absolute closest family.

For me it's totally the other way round. I found this whole saga very strange and didnt think we could get him at all. BUt every day without an official statement from Barcelona makes me believe more and more that there might be something happening. What would be the reason for Barcelona not to come out and say categorically no to any transfer?

Don't quite understand this. Who do you want the statement to come out from? They don't have a manager, and this Rossell guy seems to be the main man behind the scenes, who is supposed to have written a letter saying please desist and he's not for sale.

Then you have Fabregas' quotes from a few weeks ago saying he wasn't at all up for moving, and then you have Pique saying he's spoken to him and he's not up for it.
It doesn't sound good at all.

We made our first bid roughly a week ago ffs.

:lol:

Life sure is tough, being a United supporter.

Personally, if we don't get Fabregas, I'd be disgusted and embarrassed and would certainly find it difficult to raise any support for the club for at least the coming season. I'm hoping it won't come to this though as the thought of us having bids for players rejected sickens me; I'd be forced to take a long hard look at my emotional ties with the club and decide once and for all whether or not it's worth bothering with football any longer - and to be honest the conclusion I believe I'd likely arrive at is one that would malign me with a depth of sadness, disappointment and an overriding feeling of betrayal which I'm not sure I'd be able to withstand from the viewpoint of my mental health. Bidding for Fabregas is so unprofessional, so undignified and uncouth that serious questions would have to be asked of United's management team and board of executives; and I for one would expect such questions to not just be posed internally, or from the FA or UEFA, but eventually an enquiry from the house of commons I should hope would be forthcoming. I just don't think David Moyes understands the gravity of his position; he certainly does not understand the gravity of his words.

Indeed. United's behavior is a disgrace to our Olympic heroes. Too many damn foreigners in that club, that's the problem!

Spoke to Cider, he said 11am today, its going to happen. You heard it first here.

I love the idiocy in this thread.

Barcelona say Fabregas not for sale.

'Well its stupid and embarrasing and back to the Rooney situation' forgetting we've been far more emphatic with refusing to sell.

It's 11:15am today as Moyes and Woodward want to crack on with the Arturo Vidal deal with as much immediacy as is humanly possible. Vidal's agent's phone battery life estimate gives him until quarter past eleven to engage in crunch talks and the most of it our chief exec has every intention of making.

Don't quite understand this. Who do you want the statement to come out from? They don't have a manager, and this Rossell guy seems to be the main man behind the scenes, who is supposed to have written a letter saying please desist and he's not for sale.

Then you have Fabregas' quotes from a few weeks ago saying he wasn't at all up for moving, and then you have Pique saying he's spoken to him and he's not up for it.
It doesn't sound good at all.

They had Tito when we were in for him. He could have come out easily and dismiss any transfer. The rumours of the Russell letter are ridiculous imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.