Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive argued over the last couple of pages that we wont sign Fabregas on the grounds that Barca wont sell because its not really in their interests to do so. But i think the club should be applauded for going after a player of his calibre. We're short in midfield and he'd be the perfect signing. We rarely go after established super stars RVP aside and with Fergie going it sends a message we arent taking a backwards step.

Im hoping that Barca accept this renewed offer from us.

By moving for an unrealistic target and making it public.

I am pretty sure Cesc has been dropping hints that he is open. You can assume that the Vice Chairman is a serious man. So its unlikely The Equaliser will waste his time unless there is some glimmer of hope.

The timing of the bid for Fabregas (straight after Thiago decides to join Bayern), and Moyes publicly announcing our bids one after another to the media etc. The whole things makes us look so amateurish. We're either being given some form of false hope by club or player behind the scenes to make us look stupid, or we've just walked into this without doing our homework.

Whatever it is, I really think we're wasting our time, because Barca doesn't need the money, and Fab is never going to walk away after only two years at his dream club. He's getting plenty of games there, his family is happy there, earning a good salary, there is really no reason for him to move at all.

Barcelona do need the money though if they want to bring a CB in. Neymar's transfer/wages are expensive and Messi's wages are astronomical. They didn't get much from Thiago's transfer, and his departure from the squad probably didn't reduce the wage bill significantly.

The timing of the bid for Fabregas (straight after Thiago decides to join Bayern), and Moyes publicly announcing our bids one after another to the media etc. The whole things makes us look so amateurish. We're either being given some form of false hope by club or player behind the scenes to make us look stupid, or we've just walked into this without doing our homework.

Whatever it is, I really think we're wasting our time, because Barca doesn't need the money, and Fab is never going to walk away after only two years at his dream club. He's getting plenty of games there, his family is happy there, earning a good salary, there is really no reason for him to move at all.

Moyes confirmed that we've made two bids when asked about it, it's nothing outlandish - other clubs do it all the time. I don't get this looking amateurish/stupid thing; it'd be different if Fabregas or Barca were going out of their way to make it clear they're not interested, but they've been surprisingly quiet so far and the fact that we increased our offer suggests that they haven't exactly told Woodward & company where to go.

As for Barca, they've a huge number of stars likely to be in the top wage bracket and don't have an unlimited wage bill - they also desperately need a CB. I'm sure Fabregas would love to stay but that will change if he doesn't feel wanted. I don't think we'll get him but the transfer isn't as impossible as you make out and I'm sure Moyes/Woodward have their reasons for being in for Fabregas.

Barcelona do need the money though if they want to bring a CB in. Neymar's transfer/wages are expensive and Messi's wages are astronomical. They didn't get much from Thiago's transfer, and his departure from the squad probably didn't reduce the wage bill significantly.

Unless they started paying their players with Catalonian Dollars otherwise spot on.

If we could invent an alternative universe machine and send someone into the alternative universe Caf where the club/manager said nothing on transfers to date and draw up a list of all those who complained about that and claimed it meant how we couldn't compete and had no money and then return to this reality and see how many on that list are the ones saying that speaking about transfers is amateurish and embarrassing.

I'm guessing there'd be a large number of names on both lists.

Only fans of this club could accept without question the notion that we're embarrassing and amateurish and totally ignore the far more plausible explanation of there being a difference in Barcelona's public and private statements.

If we could invent an alternative universe machine and send someone into the alternative universe Caf where the club/manager said nothing on transfers to date and draw up a list of all those who complained about that and claimed it meant how we couldn't compete and had no money and then return to this reality and see how many on that list are the ones saying that speaking about transfers is amateurish and embarrassing.

Only fans of this club could accept without question the notion that we're embarrassing and amateurish and totally ignore the far more plausible explanation of there being a difference in Barcelona's public and private statements.

You have a point. I suppose one could claim mitigating circumstances for some - people are nervous about the new regime, etc. And the business itself isn't exactly transparent, we don't know what it is that Woodward hopefully knows which makes this a plausible deal in spite of appearances.

That said, some go way too far. It's almost like they're relishing every chance to enter some kind of "told you so, Moyes is an amateur, the club is run by chimpanzees and we're clearly doomed" mode. We're in for some fun when the season starts and we lose a couple of games.

Morning chaps. Today could spell the end of the Fabregas fiasco. Not getting my hopes up after we missed out on Thiago.

I've woken up feeling very pessimistic about this deal. :(
It will happen in the worst way possible. Barcelona will accept our new bid causing mass chaos in the media. Then, Arsenal will use their clause where they can bid automatically for Cesc depending if Barcelona agree a fee, then Cesc agrees a deal with Arsenal and our fans go into muppet suicide.

There were reports yesterday regarding Barcelona announcing their new manager. I doubt to see a decision on Fabregas until after the new coach comes in. Barcelona play Bayern tomorrow so it would be a good time for the new manager to clarify a few situations.

Leaving the thread now. Transfer window has been miserable so far.

It will happen in the worst way possible. Barcelona will accept our new bid causing mass chaos in the media. Then, Arsenal will use their clause where they can bid automatically for Cesc depending if Barcelona agree a fee, then Cesc agrees a deal with Arsenal and our fans go into muppet suicide.

And then we sign Felliani.

There were reports yesterday regarding Barcelona announcing their new manager. I doubt to see a decision on Fabregas until after the new coach comes in. Barcelona play Bayern tomorrow so it would be a good time for the new manager to clarify a few situations.

For missing out on Thiago? Don't remember much happening apart from that which makes it miserable.

And just because the new manager may be appointed won't explain the Fabregas situation. Spanish clubs usually manage transfers without managers.

We will probably get 30-35m for Rooney. So I say spend 35m on Vidal, spend 20m on Cabaye and give Nani a new contract and we're sorted.

That doesn't make much sense. A new coach will be in no position to make an immediate decision on Fabregas. Unless he watches Barcelona religiously on tv.

That doesn't make much sense. A new coach will be in no position to make an immediate decision on Fabregas. Unless he watches Barcelona religiously on tv.

Irrespective, Fabregas doesn't have a low profile. Football people should know exactly what he's all about.

I see Pique has been chatting to the media about this. :lol: Shut up!

Except Vidal is Madrid-bound and is unlikely to choose us over them.

Is he?

As Manchester United look towards Real Madrid’s Luka Modric as a midfield possibility there may be hope as the Spanish giants prepare an audacious £43m bid for Arturo Vidal of Juventus, according to ITV Sport.
http://www.fanatix.com/news/real-ma...-for-modric-exit-to-manchester-united/129624/

Real Madrid have offered £43m for Juventus' Chilean midfielder Arturo Vidal, according to Transfermarkt.
http://www.itv.com/sport/football/update/2013-07-22/real-madrid-offer-43m-for-arturo-vidal/

Real Madrid does not give up: According to information from the "kicker", the Spaniards have a 50-million-euro offer for Arturo Vidalmade ​​(photo). (Market value of 35 million Euros)
http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/50-millionen-offerte-fuer-vidal/news/anzeigen_129557.html

In the kicker gossip section:

How long is the former Leverkusen Arturo Vidal remains at Juventus? Real Madrid is no rest. "Grazie real, but I stay in Turin", the midfield dynamo had declared. That was before Juve reached a new offer about 50 million euros. However, the Chilean, who hesitates at the extension of the current contract until 2016, as is unsaleable.
http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/wechselboerse/2013-14/transfermarkt.html

:wenger:

Hopefully something comes of this today, otherwise we're gonna have more "we're trying hard comments" to put up with.

Assuming that Barca is privately inviting us to bid for him, then there must be either a miscommunication, or something is not right about how we're approaching this. It's nothing to do with Moyes, if this happened under Fergie's watch, I'd consider it clumsy and amaterish too.

I think we still have lots of pulling power in the transfer market, but this particular deal looked dead in the water to me from the start. We might as well be spend our effort and time elsewhere. People scoff at us signing Fellaini, but I'd be very happy if we did. Anyone who can improve our current midfield, and is willing to move to us this summer, is worth signing, and the sooner we do it, the better.

Moyes confirmed that we've made two bids when asked about it, it's nothing outlandish - other clubs do it all the time. I don't get this looking amateurish/stupid thing; it'd be different if Fabregas or Barca were going out of their way to make it clear they're not interested, but they've been surprisingly quiet so far and the fact that we increased our offer suggests that they haven't exactly told Woodward & company where to go.

As for Barca, they've a huge number of stars likely to be in the top wage bracket and don't have an unlimited wage bill - they also desperately need a CB. I'm sure Fabregas would love to stay but that will change if he doesn't feel wanted. I don't think we'll get him but the transfer isn't as impossible as you make out and I'm sure Moyes/Woodward have their reasons for being in for Fabregas.

Well fair enough. Maybe I'm reading different news sites, but I am getting the general message that Barca is not willing to deal, and Fabregas is not keen to leave Barca anyway. No transfer is "impossible", but this one seemed awfully unlikely to me, and unfortunately right now it's panning out as I thought it would. I'd love to be proven wrong still, but until such time, would be nice if we stopped announcing every bid we made to the media.

Assuming that Barca is privately inviting us to bid for him, then there must be either a miscommunication, or something is not right about how we're approaching this. It's nothing to do with Moyes, if this happened under Fergie's watch, I'd consider it clumsy and amaterish too.

I think we still have lots of pulling power in the transfer market, but this particular deal looked dead in the water to me from the start. We might as well be spend our effort and time elsewhere. People scoff at us signing Fellaini, but I'd be very happy if we did. Anyone who can improve our current midfield, and is willing to move to us this summer, is worth signing, and the sooner we do it, the better.

I wholeheartedly agree. Just because it looked dead in the water to you, a random poster on a forum, we should have spend time and effort elsewhere. Why don't you write a letter to club and register your grievance. After all we don't want to look as clumsy and amateurish when making future bids.

Piqué is a cnut. Always disliked him since the spitting incident and his lack of respect towards us in both CL Finals.

I wholeheartedly agree. Just because it looked dead in the water to you, a random poster on a forum, we should have spend time and effort elsewhere. Why don't you write a letter to club and register your grievance. After all we don't want to look as clumsy and amateurish when making future bids.

Exactly! Not a single person on this forum knows what's going on with our transfers.

What an egregious non sequitur.
Don't think there's anything wrong in what I said. Some people are claiming we're being asked to bid for him in private, but we're getting rejected again and again. Either we're not offering what they asked for, or they're taking us for a ride. In either case, it doesn't make the club look good, the longer this drags out.

Status
Not open for further replies.