Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realism is fine. But the oft-pedalled view that we're doing this as a PR exercise isn't realistic, it's fecking ridiculous.
Well, I've only seen that a couple of times. But that's a whole different thing from thinking that United have little chance of getting the player because Barca need him too much. You've basically given up on the club if you think Moyes and the rest would stoop that low. This isn't Arsenal.

It's not negativity to point out that agents will always encourage bids for their client, even if it is just to get a better deal from their current club. It's just realism.
Negativity about this deal is mostly driven by it not making any sense for Barca to sell.

Better people to be cynical about the whole transfer business than wrapping themselves in fantasies. Because when it comes to the agents and the football media there is plenty to be cynical about.

Exactly. What's the point of selling both Thiago and Fabregas? It doesn't make much sense. It's true that they've signed Neymar but they sold Villa. Losing both Thiago and Cesc would be a blow for Barca. Can't see them selling the latter.

Exactly. What's the point of selling both Thiago and Fabregas? It doesn't make much sense. It's true that they've signed Neymar but they sold Villa. Losing both Thiago and Cesc would be a blow for Barca. Can't see them selling the latter.

What was the point in us both selling Beckham and Veron. Really they are fringe players like it or not.. lets put some realism into this. Yes I agree this does seem abit odd with the fact Fabregas and said he doesn't want to leave but I don't find it odd if they want to let him go. He just hasn't worked at Barca. Simple. They still have Song and Mascherano they could easily not replace him but at the same time they could also go out and get an alternative cheaper midfielder.

Well, I've only seen that a couple of times. But that's a whole different thing from thinking that United have little chance of getting the player because Barca need him too much. You've basically given up on the club if you think Moyes and the rest would stoop that low. This isn't Arsenal.

I guess my optimism is rooted in my faith in the club - I refuse to believe it's amateur hour at United, that we're going blindly for a player who's given no indication that he'd move or that we're blindly pursuing this even though Barcelona have said it's a no-go. I don't believe we'd continue to waste our time were that the case.

I have re-read Moyes' quotes and think the following is particularly interesting:

My understanding is that Ed's had a response and he's spoken with them [Barcelona],” Moyes explained on Monday. “I think we made a second offer but Ed is dealing with that rather than me, personally.

If the response was as Sport have reported in Spain, why would we go back again? If we can all see that this is a blind pursuit, why can't the club's top brass? Our statements seem to point towards the fact that we're receiving some sort of encouragement.

I don't go with the idea that if we're rejected by Fabregas it'll put others off joing us or anything. But for really a handful of clubs coming to united is a step up and will always be a massive factor no matter what other players have rejected us. That said with how public its been allowed to become you'd have to hope there's good info that suggests to them they can give him. Both Moyes and Woodward are new to this effectively and so if it ends up going badly it won't be a great start for either and plus any other target we go for in midfield will know they're second choice and the selling club knowing that we've missed our prime target.

That said although Moyes and Woodward are the most visible I doubt they're going public etc against the clubs wishes, you'd think as a whole the senior figures would think we can get this player.

What was the point in us both selling Beckham and Veron. Really they are fringe players like it or not.. lets put some realism into this. Yes I agree this does seem abit odd with the fact Fabregas and said he doesn't want to leave but I don't find it odd if they want to let him go. He just hasn't worked at Barca. Simple. They still have Song and Mascherano they could easily not replace him but at the same time they could also go out and get an alternative cheaper midfielder.

Xavi is aging. And Iniesta isn't getting any younger either. They need world class midfielders, not cheap alternatives.

Will Moyes be asked about this yet again at his post-match press conference tomorrow?

I can see Moyes eventually getting so fed up that he decides not to sign anyone just to piss people off.

I don't go with the idea that if we're rejected by Fabregas it'll put others off joing us or anything. But for really a handful of clubs coming to united is a step up and will always be a massive factor no matter what other players have rejected us. That said with how public its been allowed to become you'd have to hope there's good info that suggests to them they can give him. Both Moyes and Woodward are new to this effectively and so if it ends up going badly it won't be a great start for either and plus any other target we go for in midfield will know they're second choice and the selling club knowing that we've missed our prime target.

That said although Moyes and Woodward are the most visible I doubt they're going public etc against the clubs wishes, you'd think as a whole the senior figures would think we can get this player.

One thing's for sure, if we don't get Fabregas, the back up option is going to get slaughtered by the media.

Will Moyes be asked about this yet again at his post-match press conference tomorrow?

I can see Moyes eventually getting so fed up that he decides not to sign anyone just to piss people off.

Moyes needs to start reacting like Fergie if the line of questioning starts to piss him off, namely to refuse to answer the question and ban the journalist from future briefings.

Is anyone else annoyed about how public all of our transfer business is? I'd prefer Moyes kept shut about transfer dealings until they were almost complete.

Xavi is aging. And Iniesta isn't getting any younger either. They need world class midfielders, not cheap alternatives.

Like I said before Xavi could play well up until his 36 they way he plays and he is still better than Fabregas. So does Fabregas have to wait untill he is 29/30 the final be first team.... Thiago you could understand with his age but not Cesc.

Is anyone else annoyed about how public all of our transfer business is? I'd prefer Moyes kept shut about transfer dealings until they were almost complete.

To easy our nerves? Doesn't really make a difference.. see Thiago.

Jesus guys. I watch SSN and get a stiffy and I come on here and get flaccid. It's supposed to be the other way around!!

One thing's for sure, if we don't get Fabregas, the back up option is going to get slaughtered by the media.

Well don't think it will be quite so extreme, but yeah I said it in that post more or less but it won't be great for the second choice. But I suppose what can you do? If they think this is what they need to do to land their main man then they've got to try it. I'd rather take a chance than not fully commit and have no chance, at the end of the day.

I kind of miss Fergie's silence on transfers now. Not sure if saying we have a bottomless pit and will do everything to sign Cesc is the wisest thing to do when it comes to business .

I can't believe I forgot to mention the one non-trivial Spanish media remark on Cesc today.

Puyol: "I think he'll stay. But I respect the decisions that my teammates take." - or words to that effect.

However there may have been some selective editing as they combined a Thiago and a Cesc answer on the TV news :D

Indeed, what a fecking clown. Unfortunately that's the state of football journalism these days just rehash old news and make it sound slightly different so you can resell it as news.

Except he's actually the only one reporting this story - virtually all other outlets are saying the deal's dead in the water.

Indeed, what a fecking clown. Unfortunately that's the state of football journalism these days just rehash old news and make it sound slightly different so you can resell it as news.

The way that guy describes it it's like World War 3 has just broken out. I've never seen anything like him.

Fair play for going after a player of Cesc's quality and I'm really happy at our new aggressive approach to signings but if they reject 35m we have to move on, the season is upon us and we haven't done any business yet surely we have other options to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.