Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until you hear it from Moyes mouth, it is still on.

These media muppets haven't got a story and they make it up as they go along.

If have actually witnessed, at a place that will stay anonymous, the BBC fabricating a story. After we challenged it, they apologised and dropped it pronto.

The BBC is no longer the reputable source it once was and haven't been for several years.

I hate Sky, but I think they have a better grasp on things, but only just.

Certainly at least partly down to that. One only needs to bring up the Sneijder/Hazard/Ozil etc scars, understandable that United's fan base is a bit jaded compared to a Madrid/Bayern/Barca + the billionaire plaything clubs who always seem to be signing various stars.

You have to admit there's also considerable reason for pessimism here though. We are bidding for a player who is on record as saying he has no desire to leave (in May/June I know, but it was in direct response to transfer rumours), who plays for a club who are on record as saying they've no desire to sell. At this point the only indicator that its even possible is that we've made two bids and its reasonable to assume there's a reason for that and the people running United aren't absolute idiots.

So we have a bit of conjecture on one hand, and firm denials from both club and player on the other. I wouldn't even call it pessimism so much as realism.

Cesc isn't the first player to publicly say he wants to stay at his club - he's hardly likely to say otherwise. And I don't think you can say Barca are on record as saying they won't sell, certainly not on the basis of what that VP fella said. In fact, the only cast iron word we've had from their end was from Tito, and he didn't exactly issue a hands-off message, did he?

I'm heartened by the fact that we've gone public, we're still chasing (would we do that if Barca were insistent on not sellng?) and there hasn't been a proper hands-off from Barca (a la United with Rooney).

It's funny how the media frames similar situations completely differently depending on the club in question. Chelsea are slowly going through the gears in relation to Rooney, and yet that's widely viewed as a dead cert; we're doing the same with Fabregas and we're no hopers. Go figure.

Cesc isn't the first player to publicly say he wants to stay at his club - he's hardly likely to say otherwise. And I don't think you can say Barca are on record as saying they won't sell, certainly not on the basis of what that VP fella said. In fact, the only cast iron word we've had from their end was from Tito, and he didn't exactly issue a hands-off message, did he?

I'm heartened by the fact that we've gone public, we're still chasing (would we do that if Barca were insistent on not sellng?) and there hasn't been a proper hands-off from Barca (a la United with Rooney).

It's funny how the media frames similar situations completely differently depending on the club in question. Chelsea are slowly going through the gears in relation to Rooney, and yet that's widely viewed as a dead cert; we're doing the same with Fabregas and we're no hopers. Go figure.

The difference is Rooney blatantly wants to move. With Cesc we can't be sure, if he is given any assurance he's the rightful heir to Xavi and they really want him, he'll stay.

As ever, I'm very much in the 'there's no fecking way this is going to happen' camp.

However, playing devil's advocate: we wouldn't have gone in with a second bid if the private response to the first had been 'no, he's not for sale, feck off.' So is it not possible that Rosell is maintaining the 'he's not for sale' stance in public so that if Fabregas moves, it will look like he forced his way out? That way the fans get to blame the disloyal cnut agitating for a move, rather than the greedy boss selling a beloved cantera graduate in exchange for a big wad of cash.

It's the same thing that people suggested was going on with Thiago when Barca said he wasn't going anywhere, and lo and behold he ended up at Bayern.

The difference is Rooney blatantly wants to move. With Cesc we can't be sure, if he is given any assurance he's the rightful heir to Xavi and they really want him, he'll stay.

Not picking on you, but I see this way too much. Anybody who has watched Xavi and Fabregas will know that they are VERY different players. Fabregas won't replace Xavi.

...He's still going to have to play second fiddle for a while.

I very much doubt that Cesc wants to move. IMO, his agent is using United's interest to secure a better future for Fabregas at Barca.

It's an opinion. And it's a valid one. Could well be true.

And it could well be nonsense. Sorry, I'm just railing against the excessive negativity in this thread. There's so much pessimism amongst our fan base at the moment. People are ready to call the whole thing off on the basis of nothing Tweets and refuse to believe there could be anything in it despite decent sources saying so.

And it could well be nonsense. Sorry, I'm just railing against the excessive negativity in this thread. There's so much pessimism amongst our fan base at the moment. People are ready to call the whole thing off on the basis of nothing Tweets and refuse to believe there could be anything in it despite decent sources saying so.
And, conversely, the opposite has been done in the past, i.e. a player moving club.

Indeed.

Very few of us "believers" left in here.

It's not negativity to point out that agents will always encourage bids for their client, even if it is just to get a better deal from their current club. It's just realism.
Negativity about this deal is mostly driven by it not making any sense for Barca to sell.

Better people to be cynical about the whole transfer business than wrapping themselves in fantasies. Because when it comes to the agents and the football media there is plenty to be cynical about.

It's not negativity to point out that agents will always encourage bids for their client, even if it is just to get a better deal from their current club. It's just realism.
Negativity about this deal is mostly driven by it not making any sense for Barca to sell.

Better people to be cynical about the whole transfer business than wrapping themselves in fantasies. Because when it comes to the agents and the football media there is plenty to be cynical about.

Realism is fine. But the oft-pedalled view that we're doing this as a PR exercise isn't realistic, it's fecking ridiculous.

Not picking on you, but I see this way too much. Anybody who has watched Xavi and Fabregas will know that they are VERY different players. Fabregas won't replace Xavi.

I know this, sadly Fabregas himself does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.