Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has the Thiago saga really broken our spirits that much? Lets have some optimism lads, we are muppets after all!

Signing Thiago would have made perfect sense: cheap, young, quality, immense potential, everything. Yet he chose to join a side that is packed with quality central midfielders already.

After that, it's no surprise we can't really start believing in getting Fábregas as that deal never looked any likely.

Successful is Hectic. I have never been so sure of anything.

See, the thing is I do not, and have never controlled any account aside from that futurenoodlehair one (poster signed up in 2002 and never again or logged in again, so I took it over)

See, the thing is I do not, and have never controlled any account aside from that futurenoodlehair one (poster signed up in 2002 and never again or logged in again, so I took it over)

Bollocks. You're definitely redbunny. It's just about unfunny enough to be you.

I think Moyes hinted that if the second bid was rejected he'd look elsewhere. So much for no budget...

What he actually said was that there might be a point when he might look elsewhere but if you're after good players you gotta give it every chance to happen.

I don't think we'll give up even if Sport's report is true. We'll waste some more time on it before giving up.

To be honest, that's gutting to hear. I've been convinced you've been behind many accounts for years.

That's exactly what someone who is posing as another poster would say.

Only one bid has been rejected and the rejection spurred us on to make another.

What he actually said was that there might be a point when he might look elsewhere but if you're after good players you gotta give it every chance to happen.

I don't think we'll give up even if Sport's report is true. We'll waste some more time on it before giving up.

I hope you're right. To be honest, it'd make sense to break the bank for Fabregas.

Only with Hargreaves do I remember us continuing to make approaches to Bayern but, no amount for that year would seem to make them sell to us. I know it's new people in charge now but, I doubt we are deviating to much from how we've always operated. Maybe it's red tinted glasses but, I don't think we are a club that will continue to make bids if we've been categorically told no especially with the a stern letter asking to cease making further offers.

I do hope we at least go up to 40m - it is probably a bit much but, we've gone a bit much for British players - why not for an absolute top class player? Whatever our ceiling is as a club for Fab, the next bid should be it. If they don't accept it, then move on because it seems like we are waiting for this one to complete before finalizing any others - season start is fast approaching with a very difficult start - it's important that the new players have a chance to integrate if they are going to be of any help in those first few games.

No you were misunderstanding. I mean the presence of Fabregas would improve everyone in the team by 5-10%, more cover for defence, more goal scoring opportunities for strikers and better distribution to wingers. He would still probably be a good 60-70% better than Cleverley.

I'm pulling numbers out of mid-air here as very difficult to judge, but say 70% improvement over cleverley + 10% improvement on rest of the team, versus Bale who would be maybe 150% improvement on Nani and offer an equivalent 10% improvement to strikers, but maybe not the extra benefit to rest of the team, except maybe left back cover which would probably be a good 50% improvement over what we currently have. Bale can track back more effectively than Nani and is much better at tackling.

Yep, it's still utter nonsense. There is literally no way that Bale is a bigger improvement on Nani than Fabregas is on what we have in midfield. You're buying into the Bale hype to an embarrassing degree. You think he's more consistent than Nani? Last season was the first one where he was actually consistently good, rather than just turning up in a big game every month or so to keep the media hype ticking over. Nani, on the other hand, has been the best winger in the league in at least two seasons.

Also, regarding this:

In a similar away Ronaldo was so good on the wing, there was little work that was needed to be done in the middle to get the wins. Just get it to Ronaldo and he'll rip apart the opposition and where he is heavily marked other average players can shine with the extra space and time they have on the ball.
When Ronaldo came to us, our midfield was Scholes-Keane. So that's hardly an apposite comparison.

To be honest, that's gutting to hear. I've been convinced you've been behind many accounts for years.

Yeah Brophs used to have the same paranoia, he pm'd me asking me if I was about 5 different people. It's disappointing for me too, I would have loved to have been "successful".

Yeah Brophs used to have the same paranoia, he pm'd me asking me if I was about 5 different people. It's disappointing for me too, I would have loved to have been "successful".

Anyone on the Caf would love to claim to be the mastermind behind THAT diagram. I wish I had though of it first.

A classic case of "read the quotes, ignore the headline". NOWHERE does Moyes say that we're not prepared to go any further, that's just the Mirror's spin on the story.

"My understanding is that Ed's had a response and he's spoken with them [Barcelona] and again we've made a second offer. But Ed's dealing with that, rather than me personally here.
"I think a point does come but I think when you are interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise.

That's all that Moyes said.

What if this is all an elaborate ruse by Barca to ruin United, by turning the fans on Moyes before he gets going. Knowing full well that United have a very large following of kermits, they keep offering us high profile central Midfielders, promising that we are very close to a deal and leaking info to the press...Then rejecting them to make us look bad and turn send the muppet army into histeria. Thus undermining Moyes before he starts and tarnishing the good name Fergie has built over the years.

(Disclaimer: the lovely people in white coats are coming back shortly, with my medicine)

TBF both offers that were put in were pretty poor amounts and I think we as a club knew they'd be rejected. I get the feeling if we're serious we will definitely take our time with the third offer and it'll be a whopper and one which Barcelona will have already given a hint they'd be more likely to accept.

Barca would be mad to let Fabregas leave. Xavi is already 33.

Yep, it's still utter nonsense. There is literally no way that Bale is a bigger improvement on Nani than Fabregas is on what we have in midfield. You're buying into the Bale hype to an embarrassing degree. You think he's more consistent than Nani? Last season was the first one where he was actually consistently good, rather than just turning up in a big game every month or so to keep the media hype ticking over. Nani, on the other hand, has been the best winger in the league in at least two seasons.

Also, regarding this:
When Ronaldo came to us, our midfield was Scholes-Keane. So that's hardly an apposite comparison.

Point 1 - Agreed Bale comes with Risk, but so was a £30m Rooney, so is a £16.5m Jones transfer, so was £35m for Carroll for for Liverpool. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes it doesn't work out. In previous seasons I agree, Bale was overhyped, but this season that hype has shown why it was justified. He is consistently improving and is looking as close to Messi and Ronaldo as anyone else. Thus I would suggest there is solid reason for this hype. Nani has been inconsistent his whole time at United, so whilst I might agree about 2 seasons ago being better than Bale, I don't think there is any doubt that Bale has substantially improved, whilst Nani has continued to be inconsistent and actually is probably providing less of a return than he has any other seasons.

If Nani steps up for this season, fantastic, because as you say no need to spend on an area that is performing.

Point 2 - I was talking about Ronaldo in latter couple of years, not initial years.

What if this is all an elaborate ruse by Barca to ruin United, by turning the fans on Moyes before he gets going. Knowing full well that United have a very large following of kermits, they keep offering us high profile central Midfielders, promising that we are very close to a deal and leaking info to the press...Then rejecting them to make us look bad and turn send the muppet army into histeria. Thus undermining Moyes before he starts and tarnishing the good name Fergie has built over the years.

:lol: Brilliant and devilishly evil.

I reckon we go up to 37m rising to 40m with add-ons should do it. If it's not, Cabaye and Fellaini will make me a happy man as well

Status
Not open for further replies.