Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know which one is worst... deal rejected, or fabregas refusing to move

They better know what they're doing, or we'll ended up looking like mug

I cant see how Cesc will not consider it -- his camp has obviously given United some encouragement. Its not like some hostile take-over situation.

FACT: (supposition, but feck it)

If we were told to 'feck right off you dirty, English cnuts. We're not selling him for any price' - our response wouldn't be "Hmmm. Okay, £30m?"

This is what gives me some hope that there's really something going on with either the club or Fabregas himself. However, I'm inclined to believe it's Barca that want to sell Fabregas, rather than the player forcing a move.

Barca have sold high profile players like Toure, Ibra and Villa in the blink of an eye. If Fabregas doesn't fit their plans, it could well be the case.

I think its happening, its been going on a bit too long for Barca and Fabregash not to have come out and categorically denied it altogether.

Sounds like straw clutching to me. There does not need to be an official club statement to deny every transfer bid.

I think its happening, its been going on a bit too long for Barca and Fabregash not to have come out and categorically denied it altogether.

Plus the fact we've made a rather public revised high offer suggests the response to the first was more likely an encouragement to offer more rather than an outright principle objection.

I cant see how Cesc will not consider it -- his camp has obviously given United some encouragement. Its not like some hostile take-over situation.

Yes, there is zero chance of United making a bid without getting the OK from Fabregas or his agent. As we have said before, that does not mean he is desperate to join United. But his agent will at least have said they will consider. And of course it is always a good thing for a player to have interest from other clubs. Can only help during contract negotiation.

I don't think there is any chance we would pursue there transfer publicly unless there was a slight degree of confidence in it happening.

With the season fast approaching and us still desperately short of quality in midfield, we would be mad to leave it so late.

Spain's big two regularly make unwanted, and even "expected to fail" bids for other players. Often with a view to getting them next year - as they did with Ronaldo and Fabregas. There's no great shame in it - we did it ourselves with Hargreaves.

I'm still brooding over the timing of the bid and there is one factor that may be affecting Cesc's thinking this summer - Spain and the World Cup. In Spain he's never been viewed as more than a supersub for the national team. In Barca the fans have even deleted the term super from the job title. After the U21s and Confed Cup Fabregas might be feeling under threat - from Martinez, Isco and even Thiago.

He may want a job where he's a main man again, a protagonist as the Spanish press would describe it. We'd certainly offer him that, and we'd offer him a crowd and a press corp that would be ready to applaud every good move.

Timing's still awful for Barca though - despite them wanting the money. 40m Euros for Cesc last month and keeping Thiago, or 20m for Thiago and keeping Cesc? I know which I think they'd have preferred.

Sky sources: "Barcelona will wait until their new manager is appointed before deciding on Cesc Fabregas' future".

"New Manager felt that the funds could be used to strengthen areas we are less stocked in".

I'm still brooding over the timing of the bid and there's is one factor that may be affecting Cesc's thinking this summer - Spain and the World Cup. In Spain he's never been viewed as more than a supersub for the national team. In Barca the fans have even deleted the term super from the job title. After the U21s and Confed Cup Fabregas might be feeling under threat - from Martinez, Isco and even Thiago.

Feels like Groundhog day except Thiago is replaced with Fabregas

I don't know which one is worst... deal rejected, or fabregas refusing to move

Could be worse. We could agree a fee, but Arsenal exercise their first refusal clause and he ends up back at Arsenal

Damn. Logged in today hoping for some news and get only Moyes confirming 2 day old news. I need a fix.

He's also a CM who shortly after his arrival in Barcelona was described as having physical problems that they thought were caused by playing too much as a teenager and returning too fast after injury. Problems that meant that Guardiola said that longterm they would have to be careful with his playing and training schedule. Of course that might just have been a polite way of saying: get used to being benched for big games.

Hasnt stopped him from playing quite a lot in his time at Barca, even though it wasnt in his favored position.

More than likely so, but if the bid does turn out to be a failure and this is never explicitly said, it does look worse for the club than Modric and Rooney did/would for you.

feck it though, I'm happy we're bidding on a top class midfielder, though I do still think it's unlikely to happen.

I am happy, I was just arguing a point made.

With top players there will be a level of interest from the medai that means its unlikely to stay quiet. As well as the fact that any sensible selling team wants it out there to encourage bids from other interested parties and get an auction going.

The issues over fans not being happy wasnt aimed specifically at you - just a general response to some attitudes in the thread.

Its a classic example of why fans are a nightmare. They moan when the club dont go for big names, and moan when they do - they moan when the club doesnt tell the fans anything and then moans when they do. Its ridiculous.

So we've had a response from the first bid and now we make a second? Sounds very promising. If that response wasn't positive, i'm not sure why would we bother to go in with another bid with room for discussion/negotiation?

Sounds like straw clutching to me. There does not need to be an official club statement to deny every transfer bid.

Maybe so, but the fact that its been made so public indicates to me that if they didnt want to sell this would have been quashed quite quickly. Its got more than a centipede for me at the minute.

It's failing to sign a top quality player that fans would be unhappy about it.

And we're capable of attracting quality players but that doesn't mean we'll attract ALL and all of them can be realistically acquired. The Fábregas deal looks, on the surface, hugely unlikely. If we pull it off, that will be a brilliant move. If we don't we will look like we wasted time chasing a hopeless target because, as Cina said, there's no indication that Barcelona want to sell or that Fábregas wants to leave.

That's the relevant point here - nobody knows whats actually going on. As said above, United would not be chasing a target who had no interest in joining. Fabregas wont come out and state he wants to move to United even if he dopes, because if it doesnt come off where does that leave him?

The fact that he hasnt categorically stated he wants to stay I think tells you a lot. Arsenal fans bang on about his loyalty and whatever else - the reality is he's potentially being offered a return to the PL with the current champions, a key role in a CL side and a massive pay rise.

Barca likewise have not said they want to sell - but why would they? They want top dollar for him if they decide to let him go so where's the advantage to them? Its all a big game of bluff and double bluff because everyone wants to do the best deal they can.

And for me Moyes or the club wont give a monkeys how they look if they dont get him. What it shows is that the club have money to spend and are willing to go out for the very best players - even if the deal is potentially difficult, so how that can be taken as anything other than a positive I dont know.

I also dont see the difference between this and the Rooney situation - United repeatedly saying he's not for sale. Chelsea wont be worried out how they look if it doesnt come off, I'm sure of that.

So we've had a response from the first bid and now we make a second? Sounds very promising. If that response wasn't positive, i'm not sure why would we bother to go in with another bid with room for discussion/negotiation?

Exactly. It may still not happen but there's definitely something there for us to put in so much effort into it AND be so public about it.

Could be worse. We could agree a fee, but Arsenal exercise their first refusal clause and he ends up back at Arsenal

And he can simply not agree terms with them.

That clause was a Wengerism. A nonsense.

To make it clear- i do hope we sign the fecker, i just cant see it. Im absolutely positive that our club can attract big starts and young prospects and the fact that we got turned down by Hazard or Pogba doesn't change my view. However the midfield situation is a result of mistakes made for the past few years. there is no blame on Moyes and Woodward in this.

all in all i expect us to get Felainin and pay over the top for Cabaye on the last day of the transfer window.

There's alot of fear that we'll end up with just Fellaini, but I think it would be a good summer if we got both Fellaini AND Fabregas. If we played 4-3-3 with a midfield of Carrick, Fabregas and Fellaini, I think that would be pretty great. Fellaini isn't a desired number 1 target, but I think he'd still improve our squad, just not to the extent we are hoping (i.e. Thiago, Fabregas etc.)

To be honest we have said the same about Rooney when every tom, dick and harry knows we'd sell him if a) we get in the transfer targets we want and b) if it was an offer from abroad and not local rivals. Even b) is debateable if Chelsea put in a very big offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.