Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not?

I think people underestimate the impact Fabregas would have here, getting him would be huge and if the club have the funds, then feck it, pay whatever it takes.

For a player like Fabregas, I tend to agree.

Given the desperate need we have for such a player, the symbolic nature of it being Moyes first major signing, the uplift it would provide the players, club staff and fans, and that Fabregas being highly marketable, it makes sense.

Why not?

I think people underestimate the impact Fabregas would have here, getting him would be huge and if the club have the funds, then feck it, pay whatever it takes.
Agree. Lets face it, we're really desperate for a top notch central midfielder. And often,transfer prices are decided by how badly the team buying needs the player. And if we have to overpay, I say we do it. Better than going without that sort of quality for years and years.

Well I think we don't disagree with his class, just at what price United would go!

Unlike Fellaini, who is both cheaper and shit.

Would be a great addition to our squad and I'd love him to join. And I don't mind if he joins first.

But he has to be signed as squad cover AND NOT the solution which is a player like Thiago or Fabragas.

A 40mil investment on him would be no big deal considering his age and quality. Much like our investments in the likes of Rio and Rooney.

We cant make early signings just because our early fixtures are tough. Its much more long term. There's still plenty of time to go before start of season. We should and will go in order of our preferences rather than who's easy to get.

I think if I considered Fabregas leaving Barca for United this summer remotely likely I'd agree with you. I just don't think Barca will sell, and I dont think Cesc wants to leave. So I'd rather us focus efforts elsewhere.

A 40mil investment on him would be no big deal considering his age and quality. Much like our investments in the likes of Rio and Rooney.

Not quite. Rooney was 18, Ferdinand 23. It was and has proven to be entirely realistic to expect 10 years of top quality from both players, considering centre backs usually peak later than other positions and can maintain a high level for longer. Fabregas is 26, its highly unlikely we'll get that kind of production from him.

That being said I think 30-40m would still be a good price for him, given our current midfield options and the value he would thus provide.

I think we're getting encouragement from somewhere. Maybe the player AND the club. Else it makes no sense to renew the bid. However, it also seems like neither the player nor the management wants to take the blame if he leaves. Which is why you keep hearing both sides saying they don't want the deal. Which also may be the reason why you hear Fabregas' camp saying 'won't leave unless the club accepts the bid.' No one wants to be the villain.

Agree. Lets face it, we're really desperate for a top notch central midfielder. And often,transfer prices are decided by how badly the team buying needs the player. And if we have to overpay, I say we do it. Better than going without that sort of quality for years and years.

Indeed. We only have ourselves to blame for letting the midfield get into its current state, now we aren't really in a position to try and save money on midfield signings. If there is a price at which Barca will be willing to sell then we have to pay that price. I just don't think there is one but that's another issue.

45m seems a bit excessive to me.

Barca bought him for 30m at the peak of his game and his value if anything has decreased since then. Going 15m higher than that is unlikely and if we do sign him it will be for somewhere around 35m. That said it's not my money and as long as we get him I am not too bothered how much we pay for him

I hope he comes, and I know we are going hard for him, but can anyone really this this happening? I can't.

Indeed. We only have ourselves to blame for letting the midfield get into its current state, now we aren't really in a position to try and save money on midfield signings. If there is a price at which Barca will be willing to sell then we have to pay that price. I just don't think there is one but that's another issue.

This is a common theme on the cafe but to be fair Fergie chose to strengthen in other areas and we did not to badly considering what some think a weak midfield. We have also been unlucky with Hargreaves and Fletcher plus Scholes has retired (unreplaceable) would you really have swapped any our domestic rival midfields for ours in the last 5 seasons? Were any of them that much better?

I hope he comes, and I know we are going hard for him, but can anyone really this this happening? I can't.

The negativity on here amazes me sometimes.

United have seemingly increased their bid - they are evidently serious about getting this deal done. They also must have had some encouragement from Fabregas and/or his agent or they wouldnt be wasting time. Barca probably wont want to sell but will think carefully if the bid is high enough as he isn't a regular and they've spent a lot this summer.

It may not happen, but the fact that its still rumbling on tells you there's a good chance it can.

This is a common theme on the cafe but to be fair Fergie chose to strengthen in other areas and we did not to badly considering what some think a weak midfield. We have also been unlucky with Hargreaves and Fletcher plus Scholes has retired (unreplaceable) would you really have swapped any our domestic rival midfields for ours in the last 5 seasons? Were any of them that much better?

I'd have swapped it for plenty of European ones.

We did not do too badly, yes, but simply ignoring the midfield was always going to bite us in the arse sooner or later. Neglecting one area of the team ENTIRELY was always going to cause problems eventually and now we're at a stage where we're unlikely to be able to paper over the cracks any more. Everyone and their auntie knows that we are in a desperate state in midfield and it will make our position even more difficult when it comes to trying to strengthen it.

Not to mention that it also means it's more difficult to handle sudden emergencies - long-term injuries to key players or the Rooney situation - because central midfield simply has to be the priority now over everything else. Otherwise all the hopes of our new manager will hinge on a 32-year-old player's fitness and form.

Whether our domestic rivals' transfer strategy was any better or not is irrelevant - though I'd argue that yes, most of them had a stronger midfield than us over the last 3-4 years. But we're expected to seriously compete in Europe yet we simply can't match any of the biggest guns - Barcelona, Bayern, Real Madrid, even Dortmund - in midfield. As we could see against Real Madrid, our only hope against these teams is park the bus and try to snatch something on the break. It's obviously a legitimate way of winning football matches but we could and should aim a bit higher than that.

Not quite. Rooney was 18, Ferdinand 23. It was and has proven to be entirely realistic to expect 10 years of top quality from both players, considering centre backs usually peak later than other positions and can maintain a high level for longer. Fabregas is 26, its highly unlikely we'll get that kind of production from him.

That being said I think 30-40m would still be a good price for him, given our current midfield options and the value he would thus provide.

Fabregas is a CM who relies on his passing range. He'd give us 8 years easy.

45m seems a bit excessive to me.

Barca bought him for 30m at the peak of his game and his value if anything has decreased since then. Going 15m higher than that is unlikely and if we do sign him it will be for somewhere around 35m. That said it's not my money and as long as we get him I am not too bothered how much we pay for him

Barca mugged arsenal. Wenger said so himself but said he respected Cesc too much to block the move.

We did not do too badly, yes, but simply ignoring the midfield was always going to bite us in the arse sooner or later. Neglecting one area of the team ENTIRELY was always going to cause problems eventually and now we're at a stage where we're unlikely to be able to paper over the cracks any more. Everyone and their auntie knows that we are in a desperate state in midfield and it will make our position even more difficult when it comes to trying to strengthen it.

Not to mention that it also means it's more difficult to handle sudden emergencies - long-term injuries to key players or the Rooney situation - because central midfield simply has to be the priority now over everything else. Otherwise all the hopes of our new manager will hinge on a 32-year-old player's fitness and form.

Whether our domestic rivals' transfer strategy was any better or not is irrelevant - though I'd argue that yes, most of them had a stronger midfield than us over the last 3-4 years. But we're expected to seriously compete in Europe yet we simply can't match any of the biggest guns - Barcelona, Bayern, Real Madrid, even Dortmund - in midfield. As we could see against Real Madrid, our only hope against these teams is park the bus and try to snatch something on the break. It's obviously a legitimate way of winning football matches but we could and should aim a bit higher than that.

Barring Barca we have easily competed in Europe with any these teams in the last 5 years. The Real Madrid game was dictated by the events away match 1st the result we got in it then the sending off! Up to the sending off we were fans to go through and we looked the team more likely to score as opposed to snatch something on the break. Yes it would be great to fill our team with big signings but we don't have an endless pot or sugar daddy. So we balance our signings and I'm saying Fergie did this well and we were really competitive and our midfield isn't as bad as folk are making out.

Such openness on our part. Wonder if we have a reason to be so confident?

Translated back and forth a wee bit:

Do you have any update on the players? And you can understand the fans' frustration?

- Yes, I can understand the frustration. But there is nothing new to report. There have been many manager changes, and thus it is natural that transfers take a little longer. I also began to work until 1 July, so really I only worked for three weeks.

Can you tell if you have received feedback from Barcelona?

- We've got answers - as far as I know. But it is Ed Woodward governing with that stuff. But we have come with our second bid.

Could there come a point where you do not have time to wait and need to move on?

- Yes, it can happen. However, one is interested in good players, then you have to give the time needed. Ed is working to put in place agreements

Two weeks ago: "I don't talk about other teams players."
Now; "Yeah we've made another bid for Cesc Fabregas."
Two weeks from now: "Yeah we've made a third bid to those cnuts and they better fecking give him to us."

You have to wonder what changed in the space of 3 weeks in regards to it being "completely disrespectful" to talk about a player under contract at another team to being the first thing he talks about in two press conferences.

Whats the significance of him confirming it when we already knew?

From manutd.com
The manager has been asked about whether or not Barcelona have responded to United's bid for Cesc Fabregas. He said: "My understanding is that Ed's [Woodward, United's executive vice chairman] had a response and he spoke with them. I think we made a second offer but Ed is dealing with that personally, rather than me." He adds: "When you're interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise and I'll do that. I hope things can continue and move forward. At this moment in time I can only tell you that Ed Woodward is working hard trying to make the deals happen. We can only hope that some of them fall into place shortly."

Two weeks ago: "I don't talk about other teams players."
Now; "Yeah we've made another bid for Cesc Fabregas."
Two weeks from now: "Yeah we've made a third bid to those cnuts and they better fecking give him to us."

Very good point. Cesc is obviously ours, he just needs to sign the contract. :)

You have to wonder what changed in the space of 3 weeks in regards to it being "completely disrespectful" to talk about a player under contract at another team to being the first thing he talks about in two press conferences.

He's felt the full force of the Redcafe Transfer forum. There can be no other explanation.

From manutd.com
The manager has been asked about whether or not Barcelona have responded to United's bid for Cesc Fabregas. He said: "My understanding is that Ed's [Woodward, United's executive vice chairman] had a response and he spoke with them. I think we made a second offer but Ed is dealing with that personally, rather than me." He adds: "When you're interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise and I'll do that. I hope things can continue and move forward. At this moment in time I can only tell you that Ed Woodward is working hard trying to make the deals happen. We can only hope that some of them fall into place shortly."

:drool:

From manutd.com

Deals. Plural.

Barring Barca we have easily competed in Europe with any these teams in the last 5 years. The Real Madrid game was dictated by the events away match 1st the result we got in it then the sending off! Up to the sending off we were fans to go through and we looked the team more likely to score as opposed to snatch something on the break. Yes it would be great to fill our team with big signings but we don't have an endless pot or sugar daddy. So we balance our signings and I'm saying Fergie did this well and we were really competitive and our midfield isn't as bad as folk are making out.

We balance our signings... but we spend 7.5m on Bebe and 18m on Ashley Young and over 10m on a Championship winger. We're not that shy with our money, Fergie just didn't like to spend it on CMs. I'm sure he had his reasons but I'm also sure it puts Moyes in a very difficult situation as he, like most managers, might not want to try and complete a season without a midfield, the way Fergie seemed to relish doing.

We could have done better in the transfer market over the past few years, that's just the way it is. We haven't done badly and the team remained competitive because Fergie was great at motivating players and getting the most out of what he had at his disposal but ignoring CM meant that we were weaker than we could have been. And it's hard to justify that by saying we still did compete with the biggest European giants considering our last two CL campaigns ended at the group stage and at the last 16, respectively.

The Real Madrid game was dictated by the difference in quality between the two squads. De Gea was the best player in the first leg, he kept us in it and in the second leg we tried to protect the flimsiest of flimsy leads. I was happy with the way we performed because we did what could realistically be expected of the team. I'm just saying that what is realistic could be something a bit more ambitious, should we finally address the obvious, glaring issue in our side. Fábregas would be a great first step towards solving that problem though I still can't see it happening, no matter how many bids we throw at Barcelona.

Deals. Plural.

benficagaray.jpg

He's felt the full force of the Redcafe Transfer forum. There can be no other explanation.

I just wonder whether he saw the advantage Pep appeared to have gained with his public admiration and intentions and decided that maybe it's time to stop worrying about etiquette and take the gloves off.

Never confirmed, no. Just the usual "Sky sources" shite.

Moyes has only confirmed the second bid at his press conference just a few minutes ago.
Hmmm, oh.

If he is confirming the second bid (which acc to sources is around 30M+), guess we are really serious about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.