Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally don't believe United would be stupid enough to leak a bid whilst receiving no encouragement at the other end. They might have overhyped their chances a tad, but I don't think it's based on nothing.

That said, all the signs point to it being a 'try your luck' approach. That's what's coming out of Spain. Either way, it's odd.

Barca look like they might be willing to sell him if the right bid comes along.

Fabregas is smart enough not to stay where he isn't wanted. Perhaps he's made it clear that if Barca wish to sell him, then he'll move on.

I don't think it's going to happen but there's no way United would just blindly bid for a player with no encouragement from either the club or the player. I refuse to believe it.

I personally don't believe United would be stupid enough to leak a bid whilst receiving no encouragement at the other end. They might have overhyped their chances a tad, but I don't think it's based on nothing.

That said, all the signs point to it being a 'try your luck' approach. That's what's coming out of Spain. Either way, it's odd.

I think there's always an element of 'try your luck' when you're shopping for players of a certain level. I think you're right though, we haven't decided to do everything we have done in relation to Cesc on the basis of nothing. I can also understand both Barca and Cesc publicly saying they're not looking for transfer to happen - it's all about not putting anyone's nose out of joint. There are tonnes of examples in the world of transfers where public declarations have totally flown in the face of what's ended up happening.

The media and opposing fans are looking to frame everything United do at the moment as desperate or misguided. Moyes isn't Ferguson, but he's also not an idiot.

In all seriousness, what is going on with this? I've just been talking to my mate about this and he was telling me that he's heard Spanish reporters talking about this on the radio and they are very confused by this, along with Barcelona and Fabregas apparently. Barca have reiterated that Fabregas is not, and never has been, for sale. In addition to this, Fabregas' advisors are maintaining that he doesn't want to leave and are surprised by the bid.

I've just been thinking about this and the only reasonable conclusion I can come to is that we just tried our luck. Perhaps we hoped that a a good offer would tempt Barca, even if they wouldn't have entertained the idea in theory. In making a bid, perhaps we were hoping that Barca being tempted could create frictions and make the deal a possibility. The benefit of going public with our bid is that we can be seen to be attempting to solve the obvious issue with our midfield. If we don't sign a midfielder and Moyes is seen to have made no attempt then maybe there would be a backlash from the support. Hence going public.

On the flip side, the offer may be a success and we may land Fabregas. Win-win. That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of to understand our actions here.
If Fabregas wasn't interested, I am sure his agent would have gone public by now, to stop the nonsense, particularly with Tito's shocking news causing the club some difficult times.

I won't accept that Fabregas is humouring us, that isn't the style of the lad. He isn't sure he is wanted by Barca or by the fans (see the polls) , whereas he knows he will be very welcome here, be given the job of midfield General for the current EPL Champions, who have signalled their intention to spend whatever it takes to retain the title.

I think so too, pocco. And like Fergie's son, I too believe that Fabregas's agent is encouraging to keep on bidding.

That would represent a really poor approach - I trust that our transfer tactics are more refined than this. One thing is for sure, I don't trust the reports of most media outlets, especially in Spain where they're in place to report what the clubs want them to, as opposed to what is accurate.

Even if most things that are being represented are true, I don't see anything wrong with this approach. We are trying to land a star player, it's going to be more difficult than signing Zaha.

Two questions:

1. Why would our chief executive fly all the way to Spain if we had no chance at all?

2. Why would moyes mention that said chief executive was away to "negotiate" the deal, if there absolutely zero possibility?

Everything points towards there being something to this potential transfer. Whether it happens or not is another matter but I think we see it as a possibility.

Exactly. It may not come off for any number of reasons, but it's very far fetched to suggest that we're going to these lengths with no element of reciprocation from Barcelona/Fabregas.

Based on what we know about the mechanics of a transfer deal, players are tapped-up before an official approach is made. I just cannot believe we've just slapped a bid in without getting an indication of whether we're going up a dead end. Furthermore, and I know it's been repeated an annoying amount, I just don't see that we'd have upped our bid have Barca said he wasn't for sale. Everything points to them having told us that he's not for sale at that price.

The media and opposing fans are looking to frame everything United do at the moment as desperate or misguided. Moyes isn't Ferguson, but he's also not an idiot.

I don't think Moyes particularly has a lot to do with it.

Fergie said on numerous occasions that he left the job to Gill once he'd identified his targets. He only intervened when the situation called for it, e.g. calling Van Persie personally to convince him.

I don't think Moyes particularly has a lot to do with it.

Fergie said on numerous occasions that he left the job to Gill once he'd identified his targets. He only intervened when the situation called for it, e.g. calling Van Persie personally to convince him.

Fair point. In which case, it's even more unfair that Moyes is getting hammered from certain fans for not doing a good job in the transfer market.

Maybe we've made this all public so that when Fellaini inevitably comes in the club can say that we at least tried for the likes of Fabregas.

Lulz

Man alive, you could be on to something here. I think you're the first person to think of that, Cassius.

In all seriousness, what is going on with this? I've just been talking to my mate about this and he was telling me that he's heard Spanish reporters talking about this on the radio and they are very confused by this, along with Barcelona and Fabregas apparently. Barca have reiterated that Fabregas is not, and never has been, for sale. In addition to this, Fabregas' advisors are maintaining that he doesn't want to leave and are surprised by the bid.

I've just been thinking about this and the only reasonable conclusion I can come to is that we just tried our luck. Perhaps we hoped that a a good offer would tempt Barca, even if they wouldn't have entertained the idea in theory. In making a bid, perhaps we were hoping that Barca being tempted could create frictions and make the deal a possibility. The benefit of going public with our bid is that we can be seen to be attempting to solve the obvious issue with our midfield. If we don't sign a midfielder and Moyes is seen to have made no attempt then maybe there would be a backlash from the support. Hence going public.

On the flip side, the offer may be a success and we may land Fabregas. Win-win. That's the only reasonable explanation I can think of to understand our actions here.

You really think our transfer team is that naive? Its people who are paid very highly to do a job they excel in we are talking about here. Also, no comments so far from Fabregas or his agent is very telling. Being a boyhood fan, he could very easily have come out and rubbished these reports if he had 0 interest.

As I see it, he's having a good think about it. He might want assurances from Barca and if they give it to him, he'l rubbish rumors about wanting to move. Unless he makes up his mind and makes a decision though, he'l stay mum and encourage us.

Yeah, Rooney was our driving force during that title run in, in 2011. After Berba and Nani had got us through the first half of the season.

Remember that hat trick at West Ham?

Aye, and him being a fecking gobshite and getting a ban ruling him out of our vital semi final game against City

This thread
snake-eats-itself.jpg
[spoiler/]

Barca look like they might be willing to sell him if the right bid comes along.

Fabregas is smart enough not to stay where he isn't wanted. Perhaps he's made it clear that if Barca wish to sell him, then he'll move on.

I don't think it's going to happen but there's no way United would just blindly bid for a player with no encouragement from either the club or the player. I refuse to believe it.

I think we would, and have probably done so in the past. Only now we are making it public, whereas before we didn't and any rumours about bids would be dismissed by us as tabloid bs.

I think quite simply United are trying to find Barca's price. If they get a bid accepted it will unsettle Fabregas. We will no doubt leak the fact it has been accepted and the world will know Barca "want" to sell Fabregas. It'd surely make it "difficult" to stay knowing the club were "looking" to sell him.

So we snitch about the price to the world even though barca agreed to sell to us?

The price is irrelevant. It'd be the fact that a bid was accepted that would unsettle him , if Barca accept a bid it would mean that X amount of money is more important to them than keeping Fabregas. That would be something or him to think about.

If our bid is accepted, I'll still be more confident that Fabregas will join Arsenal rather than us.

I think we would, and have probably done so in the past. Only now we are making it public, whereas before we didn't and any rumours about bids would be dismissed by us as tabloid bs.

It doesn't make much sense. It's awfully common for clubs to talk to agents. I'd certainly expect United to at least talk to the agent of the player to see if there's any interest. Otherwise, it's a complete waste of time.

If our bid is accepted, I'll still be more confident that Fabregas will join Arsenal rather than us.
Would be pointless going back there. He left to win trophies and has won a couple which will probably give him a greater thirst to win more. He wont achieve that back at Arsenal.

You think he'd rather take a step backwards than a sideways step?

Put it like that then no, but I do think there's probably only one club for him in England. I'd imagine if our bid was accepted then it would invite many other bids from other teams, Arsenal included, and he'd end up choosing one of them over us.

The price is irrelevant. It'd be the fact that a bid was accepted that would unsettle him , if Barca accept a bid it would mean that X amount of money is more important to them than keeping Fabregas. That would be something or him to think about.
Oh now I understand. 100% agree with that.

I think it's safe to say United aren't blind bidding and must have had some encouragement to bid then bid again. Will be interesting to see the conclusion to it all.

Aye, and him being a fecking gobshite and getting a ban ruling him out of our vital semi final game against City
:lol: Amazing how perceptions change. The consensus was the ban was a complete joke and a very dirty ruling from the FA and now it's that Rooney let the club down by swearing and should be hated even more for it.

Unless they get another top player or even 2 in beforehand, I dont think he'l move to arsenal. it'd be a big backward step. And considering the current prices, I dont see Arsenal spending close to 100mil that'd be required to get fabregas + 2 top players.

There is definitely a difference between making your interest known and making an official bid, I doubt the club has just bid for the sake of it. Woodward and Moyes know we need to improve the midfield, I doubt they would waste time on Fabregas unless they had been made to feel it could happen. Any of you who think this is some elaborate smokescreen are somewhat paranoid, no offence.

If a bid was accepted do any of you it would get Arsenal, City, Chelsea etc. bidding also?

You think he'd rather take a step backwards than a sideways step?

People are too quick to dismiss loyalty. It's rare enough, but some players still behave that way. I happen to think Fabregas might be one of them. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

People are too quick to dismiss loyalty. It's rare enough, but some players still behave that way. I happen to think Fabregas might be one of them. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

He strikes me as an RvP type character - I think when it comes to United, he would "get it" in terms of the size of the club.

He strikes me as an RvP type character - I think when it comes to United, he would "get it" in terms of the size of the club.

I'm sure he would. I don't know that he'll give himself that chance, though.

He hasn't been the same since he fractured his ankle at Bayern.. thats true.

I'd say he had a bad start to the following season after that injury and his marraige problems but in the second half of the 2010/11 he probably played his best ever stuff & followed it up with a excellent 2011/12 season scoring 36 goals and then last season he had good and bad spells but spent a lot of it injured & out of position which would effect anyone's form. We all know he is a cnut and it's reached a point where we pretty much have to sell him but let's be honest we are still losing one of our best players if not our best and one of the best in the league. Having said that with our current squad and the signing of RVP I do think he is easier to replace than he was in 2010.

I also believe that United would not bid if they did not receive any positive signals but why would Barca want to sell him and why would he want to leave his club? I really wonder.

He started 30 games last season and is the obvious successor to xavi - especially now thiago has gone

Unless the new manager comes in and says something stupid like cesc is important because we need cover if iniesta is injured then why would cesc want to go?

But who knows perhaps the new manager wont rate him and will want to sell? But I doubt it

People are ignoring that Barcelona are very likely to want to spend a huge amount of money on Thiago Silva and possibly need to have funds from the Fabregas sale to do it, or at least know they can move him on to free up wages.

He started 30 games last season and is the obvious successor to xavi - especially now thiago has gone

Unless the new manager comes in and says something stupid like cesc is important because we need cover if iniesta is injured then why would cesc want to go?

But who knows perhaps the new manager wont rate him and will want to sell? But I doubt it

I dont know why people keep saying this. They couldnt be more different to each other. Unless Barca change what's expected of the player coming in for Xavi, fabregas has no hope of succeeding him.

People are ignoring that Barcelona are very likely to want to spend a huge amount of money on Thiago Silva and possibly need to have funds from the Fabregas sale to do it, or at least know they can move him on to free up wages.

This is pretty much how I see it. PSG have just signed Marquinos because like any good side you want a replacement sorted before you sell. Obviously Barca are very keen on Thiago Silva and possibly need the cash plus wages freed up due to FFP. Don't forget they just spent a shit load on Neymar too. They need a centre back far more that they need Fabregas right now. The reasons will be financial if he is sold.

My concern is not whether Barca will sell but if they do will Arsenal use the clause. I believe Fabregas would return to Arsenal, although for footballing reasons he'd obviously be better off here.

If a bid is accepted then this is not gonna be plain sailing from there, unless Arsenal fail to act. We have to persuade Barca to sell, Cesc to leave and to chose us over Arsenal. Tough odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.