Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's nice that Glaston and Pete have something to keep them happy during the summer months. Once the season starts they'll have little to be happy about. Let them enjoy themselves while they can.

I see that little has altered despite Fergie's retirement: we look forward to celebrating more success; rival fans look forward to celebrating...any United failing. I know which group I'd rather belong to...

:lol: Just wait til kick off, you'll see.

The story is that Man Utd pursued the release clause strategy without determining whether the player would sign for them. This sounds frankly ludicrous until you realise that's exactly what's being replayed in the Fabregas non-signing.

That's not the story at all.

The story is that Thiago had agreed terms with United before opting instead to accept Bayern's offer.

That's not the story at all.

The story is that Thiago had agreed terms with United before opting instead to accept Bayern's offer.

I doubt we had agreed anything with him tbh especially considering that he said he was pretty much certain to join Bayern after the u21 EC which was about the time rumors kept going up that we wanted to sign him. I doubt we were ever really in the race, we might have held talks with him but that's about it I guess.

So in your opinion, we were definitely in for Thiago?
Hewent to work with his old boss at the European champions. Not much anyone could about that, but considering Moyes has admitted bidding for Fabregas, why did he not admit bidding for Thiago?
Fabregas and Baines have both not moved anywhere yet. They are potential signings that may well stay where they are, however, until that is clear (window closed), then I don't know how you can say we have failed, yet!

Yes, is the answer to your 1st question.

As to the 2nd: probably because it never reached the stage of submitting a formal bid - as happens with plenty of pursuits when (for example) it becomes clear the player won't come. It's pretty obvious to most people that Moyes was chasing after Thiago .... your seeking to deny it can only be explained as an attempt at saving face.

We are Man Utd we sign who we want, we sign who we want.
So long as it's Fellaini or Baines or Cabaye.

We are Man Utd we sign who we want, we sign who we want.
So long as it's Fellaini or Baines or Cabaye.

:lol:

Fair play, mate, you win. We can't compete with Arsenal's excellent summer business - all those expensive season tickets sold on the back of the annual false promises.

will there come a point when people realise glaston and pete are just winding people up and stop rising to it or are we just going to have the same boring old argument every day for the rest of the summer?

Yes, is the answer to your 1st question.

As to the 2nd: probably because it never reached the stage of submitting a formal bid - as happens with plenty of pursuits when (for example) it becomes clear the player won't come. It's pretty obvious to most people that Moyes was chasing after Thiago .... your seeking to deny it can only be explained as an attempt at saving face.
Why would face need to be saved, we went for a player but he chose another option he had close connections with, it happens, if we get to the close of the window and have not strengthened midfield after stating that we wanted too, then we would have lost face. Not going to happen!

Why would face need to be saved, we went for a player but he chose another option he had close connections with, it happens, if we get to the close of the window and have not strengthened midfield after stating that we wanted too, then we would have lost face. Not going to happen!

Best ask the verminater - since s/he is the one telling me that Moyes was never after Thiago.

Well if the critics of our transfer dealings are going to be message board twits & redtop scribblers then forgive me if I don't die of embarrassment if we don't sign Gareth Fabulous or whoever.

Best ask the verminater - since s/he is the one telling me that Moyes was never after Thiago.
Loads of posters on here didn't believe it was more than twitter rumours at the time (I'm not one of them but that's irrelevant) so it's hardly face saving, its what they believed all along - check out the Thiago thread.

Given Thiago's relationship with Pep he would have probably chosen him over Fergie and other great Managers, losing out in him does not signal Moyes' ineptitude to anyone but bitter ABUs wishing him to fail.

Why are some people saying we need to spend £40m+ to land him? Barcelona bought him for £25m, has his value increased that much or is he that much better of a player now? I don't get it. £26m was a fair opening offer and if there is any chance of buying him, then £30m is very realistic. If the switch is possible and the player wants it, then this offer will be accepted. I don't see us going much more to try and land him because I think if we don't have a deal agreed by the end of the month at this price, then this transfer isn't happening and we'll have to look elsewhere for a midfield player.

It's obvious we were after him, but he chose to follow Pep. If Pep was our coach he would have joined us, simples. The Moyes excuse is embarassing because even Fergie would have failed to get his man. And even If we don't sign any midfielder we would sign piss on the North London clubs, even with Moyes.

The wumming from opposition fans has made this thread particularly tedious and hard to follow.

There's no come back on this... largely because nobody who isn't obsessed with French u-18 football has yet heard of whoever Arsenal sign this summer.

He, he, this will come back to haunt you like the ghost of Djembe-Djembe.

He, he, this will come back to haunt you like the ghost of Djembe-Djembe.

More likely to haunt you as another Arshavin/Song/Gervinho/Diaby/Denilson.

I'll give you this Storey, you are a world class WUM. I know you are wumming and I'm still biting!

fecking hell, it's the Ghost of Success Past...

:lol: I just read that his buyout clause is £175m http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/14482418

We really would have some gumption rolling up and offering £26m if there was no inclination he wants to come/Barça want to sell, when he still has 3 years left on his contract.

There has to be something we don't know here.

Every season it's the same: they start off with Great Expectations and end up in Bleak House.

That's funny, it always seems like they're the ones who get the most wound up in these threads.

They're wound up full stop, because they support frustrating teams. In the thread, they are looking to wind everyone else up, and rising to it, for the most part, is just what they want. It doesn't take away the pain of being Arse/Spurs fans, but it masks it for a few precious moments.

Every season it's the same: they start off with Great Expectations and end up in Bleak House.

Doubt Pete has read 'Great Expectations', he thinks 'Damned united' is one of the best books of the last 50 years!

And success Future...

Now that Fergie's gone, the odds of that happening have improved slightly, but the way things are shaping up in North London, it's Spurs who are the more likely to succeed. The collective sigh of relief from places like Anfield and the Emirates when Fergie packed it in could be heard all over England. "Now we've got a chance" was the excited cry, but Moyes at this level is an unknown quantity and every move he makes is scrutinised for signs of weakness. Apart from one glaring error, when did Fergie ever make a move or make a decision that he didn't feel would benefit Manchester United? Pre-season banter is all well and good but I take it with a bucket of salt. The players we have are league champions and even if we don't sign Fabregas, or anyone else for that matter, you'll have to finish above them to win the league and if you think that's going to be easy, you've another think coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.