Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been discussed but is the add-on part of the rumoured bid a workaround Arsenal's profit sharing arrangement?

I heard that was rubbish and Arsenal don't get any profit, just first dabs. Not sure where I heard it and I could have actually dreamt it. In fact dismiss everything I have just posted and carry on.

Well any club losing out on Thiago the way we went, would become desperate. And we also desperately need to buy a top class midfielder this summer too, there are not many available on the market. Pre-season already start so if there is half chance we would try, why not? But what we believe to be half chance, if Barca say no it means zero chance. I honestly think we have better chance of signing Bale rather than Fabregas. Barca is not in need of money, with the departure of Thiago and decline of Xavi, they now need Fabregas more than ever. I just can't think of one reason that Barca would sell.

Desperate? Are you not reading what is being posted? We were going hard for Fab long before losing out on Thiago. At the time of reading Irwin's article, I didn't believe it, but now we all know that what he wrote is true.

EDIT: Read this, it was dated the 9th of June. http://espnfc.com/news/story?id=1472287&cc=5739

Well any club losing out on Thiago the way we went, would become desperate. And we also desperately need to buy a top class midfielder this summer too, there are not many available on the market. Pre-season already start so if there is half chance we would try, why not? But what we believe to be half chance, if Barca say no it means zero chance. I honestly think we have better chance of signing Bale rather than Fabregas. Barca is not in need of money, with the departure of Thiago and decline of Xavi, they now need Fabregas more than ever. I just can't think of one reason that Barca would sell.

It'd be interesting to do a poll of Barca fans and ask if they feel confident that should Xavi retire would they have faith in the keys to Barcelona's midfield being given to Fabregas and whether they see him as a worthy heir. I have the feeling they don't and if the Barcelona board feel that too... they might want to get rid of a problem situation where Cesc feels betrayed in a few years and let him go now for top dollar while they can. The only reason I can see this being a no-go is that they got rid of Thiago in the same summer and they're really short of options if Xavi's out injured, yes Iniesta could drop deeper but then who have they got playing in the Iniesta position? Thiago & Fabregas were both cover for either position... getting rid of both in the same summer without an upgrade seems suicidal and a very high risk strategy.

You've no more idea under what circumstances we "lost out on Thiago" than anyone else does. Which is precisely shit all. Most of that was Twitter driven. There was nothing definitive to suggest we even came close to signing him. It always seemed mostly conjecture to me, and I never believed any of it at all.

Is it the club that is desperate, or is it those outside looking in and shitting themselves about what we might do this summer who are desperate? We've had two confirmed bids for one player, and it wasn't Thiago. That's all the facts we know.

They might have someone else in mind for the role. They might not think he's the right fit and so will look to get big bucks for him and find someone who fits better, either from within or by buying someone. There were rumblings that people involved with Barca though the Barca way had been trained out of him in England long before this summer, with talk that the coaching staff didn't think his game fit their style. Almost half the Barca fans who voted in a poll said they'd sell him for £30mil plus. Maybe he just isn't as important there as everyone thought he'd be.

There seem to have been a lot of rumblings happening.

Desperate? Are you not reading what is being posted? We were going hard for Fab long before losing out on Thiago. At the time of reading Irwin's article, I didn't believe it, but now we all know that what he wrote is true.

Well I m desperate, I am sure many of us here were too. The way our chairman fly back to England also shows signs of desperation. If Thiago came do you think we would make still bid for Fabregas?

Well I m desperate, I am sure many of us here were too. The way our chairman fly back to England also shows signs of desperation. If Thiago came do you think we would make still bid for Fabregas?

If Thiago was our priority, then no. But he wasn't our priority, so yes.

You being desperate and the club being desperate aren't the same thing. Looking in from a position of having little to no insight isn't the same as being involved in the actual business of negotiating transfer offers. The club seem pretty confident that the deal is a possibility. That doesn't seem desperate to me.

Taking an early flight home to deal with a situation that has arisen isn't a sign of desperation either. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that the early flight to attend to business could have been caused by a green light being received from someone or somewhere?

If Thiago was our priority, then no. But he wasn't our priority, so yes.

Do you think he wasn't? If signing young talented Thaigo for such a cut price fee wasn't a priority, I would be very shocked.

Do you think he wasn't? If signing young talented Thaigo for such a cut price fee wasn't a priority, I would be very shocked.

Not saying he wasn't a target, but from reading Irwin's article (who by the way would have more inside knowledge of United than anyone in this thread put together) it is Fab who is the priority. Have you read it? I posted it further up.

You being desperate and the club being desperate aren't the same thing. Looking in from a position of having little to no insight isn't the same as being involved in the actual business of negotiating transfer offers. The club seem pretty confident that the deal is a possibility. That doesn't seem desperate to me.

Taking an early flight home to deal with a situation that has arisen isn't a sign of desperation either. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that the early flight to attend to business could have been caused by a green light being received from someone or somewhere?

I don't believe the club wasn't desperate. They have club image to save and fans to please after losing out on Thiago deal, the new manager also need to show the world a statement of his ambition. Despite all that, we still need a new midfielder this summer, the sooner the better as the pre-seasons already kick off. How can we be not desperate?

I don't think he was a priority, no. I think Moyes was telling the truth when he said what he did, and I think there is truth in the notion that he was unsure whether Thiago would be able to handle the league we play in. This is an important period for Moyes, and I wouldn't be surprised if his priority was always someone with a proven Premier League pedigree.

Whether Moyes is right in his opinion, if what has been reported is true, is another thing entirely.

£22 million isn't a cut price fee

It wasn't? Do you mean it literally or just having issue about the terms "cut price fee"?
£22 million is great value for player of such quality and young age.

I don't think he was a priority, no. I think Moyes was telling the truth when he said what he did, and I think there is truth in the notion that he was unsure whether Thiago would be able to handle the league we play in. This is an important period for Moyes, and I wouldn't be surprised if his priority was always someone with a proven Premier League pedigree.

Whether Moyes is right in his opinion, if what has been reported is true, is another thing entirely.

I would agree with Moyes if he thinks Fabregas would suit us better than Thiago, I do.
But still, any club with a serious chance to sign such a player in such a price, and didn't take it as priority, is a sin.
No wonder we losing out, if thats true.

I don't believe the club wasn't desperate. They have club image to save and fans to please after losing out on Thiago deal, the new manager also need to show the world a statement of his ambition. Despite all that, we still need a new midfielder this summer, the sooner the better as the pre-seasons already kick off. How can we be not desperate?

Because the club obviously have a plan in place and have an idea of where they're going this summer. These things don't just happen on whims.

Even if we really were after Thiago, do you seriously think we'd have stuck all our eggs in a Thiago shaped basket, and are now running around groping at every midfielder going because he's signed for Bayern? Come on, we're a professional football club, one of the biggest in the world, not a bloody pub team. Do you genuinely think this little thought goes into the moves elite clubs make in the transfer market?

It wasn't? Do you mean it literally or just having issue about the terms "cut price fee"?
£22 million is great value for player of such quality and young age.

£22 million is around what id expect to pay for a player of his quality and experience, he wasn't a bargain in any way.

I would agree with Moyes if he thinks Fabregas would suit us better than Thiago, I do.
But still, any club with a serious chance to sign such a player in such a price, and didn't take it as priority, is a sin.
No wonder we losing out, if thats true.

You're coming across a bit naive now mate, to be honest. Is it a sin every time a talented player signs for someone other than us?

Who says we had a serious chance? The same sources that linked us with Thiago reckon Guardiola told him before the Under-21's that he wanted to sign him. Our chances may never have gotten off the ground, or gone further than an enquiry.

The only facts we know is that we've bid for Fabregas, twice.

I take it as you didn't rate Thiago then.

Everything is very black and white with you, isn't it?

£22million isn't peanuts. What if Moyes rumoured opinion is on the money, and Thiago doesn't suit the English game. How good a bargain does £22million look then?

Again, is it beyond the realms of possibility that Moyes, in his first season at the club and knowing the pressure he is under to make the right signings didn't want to risk a talented yet unproven (as far as English football is concerned) youngster, and instead prioritised signing a "sure thing" with Premier League experience?

You're coming across a bit naive now mate, to be honest. Is it a sin every time a talented player signs for someone other than us?

Who says we had a serious chance? The same sources that linked us with Thiago reckon Guardiola told him before the Under-21's that he wanted to sign him. Our chances may never have gotten off the ground, or gone further than an enquiry.

We were interested, come on, we can keep it low profile in our approach and deny everything until the day Moyes decided to write an autobiography. But we must have been interested, that's the way we always deal with our transfer. Keep everything quiet until the signing.

Everything is very black and white with you, isn't it?

£22million isn't peanuts. What if Moyes rumoured opinion is on the money, and Thiago doesn't suit the English game. How good a bargain does £22million look then?

Again, is it beyond the realms of possibility that Moyes, in his first season at the club and knowing the pressure he is under to make the right signings didn't want to risk a talented yet unproven (as far as English football is concerned) youngster, and instead prioritised signing a "sure thing" with Premier League experience?

£22million for Thiago is great value though. I mean, come on, I don't even want to argue that one. Who else could you buy for £22million in current climate?

I take it as you didn't rate Thiago then.

Its not that I dont rate him, just hes priced around the right level. For £15 million more we are looking to sign Fabregas who is one of the best midfielders in the world, if we get him for £35 million now you're talking bargain

We were interested, come on, we can keep it low profile in our approach and deny everything until the day Moyes decided to write an autobiography. But we must have been interested, that's the way we always deal with our transfer. Keep everything quiet until the signing.

Using that logic we're currently in negotiations with every footballer currently playing, as well as some who are retired, but not Fabregas, since he's the only one that's been public.

Think I may have to stay away from this thread before it becomes another Sneijder/Hazard/Thiago monstrocity

Maybe I rate Thaigo more than you do. I do think it is a sin if we have a chance to sign someone of his caliber but didn't take it as priority. I think its now or never type of signing, a young Ronaldo type of signing.
Guardiola also rate Thiago more than us obviously, with the numbers of outstanding midfielders already in their disposal.

£22million for Thiago is great value though. I mean, come on, I don't even want to argue that one. Who else could you buy for £22million in current climate?

It doesn't matter who you could buy, what they would cost or how much he's worth. He isn't at United, for whatever reason. And it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Manchester United didnt view him a priority and are instead aiming for Premier League proven players, whether correctly or incorrectly.

This isn't a discussion about Thiago anyway, this is the Fabregas thread. It's clear you're still mourning the loss of Thiago, there's a thread about him and his time at Bayern in the football forum where someone has posted a video of a recent performance. Why don't going call in and pay your respects.

I don't believe it this talk of "doesn't suit the Premier League". There's a challenge in physical terms to overcome, sure. But equally there's a mental bit too and it will ultimately determine how well you'll adapt to a new league. Look at DDG, Rafael, Ronaldo, Chicharito etc. who all looked fragile - some of them looked out of their depth too - in comparison but their attitude and determination made them cope pretty well I reckon.

You just have to make a talent of Thiago's calibre work, regardless of league.

Maybe I rate Thaigo more than you do. I do think it is a sin if we have a chance to sign someone of his caliber but didn't take it as priority. I think its now or never type of signing, a young Ronaldo type of signing.
Guardiola also rate Thiago more than us obviously, with the numbers of outstanding midfielders already in their disposal.

Jesus, now we're on to how much we rate Thiago. What has this got to do with anything in this thread? Is this whole position you've taken on the club and their stupid desperate attempt to sign Fabregas fuelled by your lust over Thiago? Certainly seems like it.

It doesn't matter who you could buy, what they would cost or how much he's worth. He isn't at United, for whatever reason. And it isn't beyond the realms of possibility that Manchester United didnt view him a priority and are instead aiming for Premier League proven players, whether correctly or incorrectly.

This isn't a discussion about Thiago anyway, this is the Fabregas thread. It's clear you're still mourning the loss of Thiago, there's a thread about him and his time at Bayern in the football forum where someone has posted a video of a recent performance. Why don't going call in and pay your respects.

I didn't say I agreed with it either, but it's been reported as a reason why we didn't fancy him. Rightly or wrongly.

For that reason alone you think we really do have a genuine chance?

No, I don't think he will come to us because you oversold your claim to been right about Alcaltara.

Why would I think that and where did I suggest that I think he will come? For the record I think (but don't know) that we must have got significant encouragement to make a bid but that now that a new manager is being recruited I think our chances of signing him have declined.

Jesus, now we're on to how much we rate Thiago. What has this got to do with anything in this thread? Is this whole position you've taken on the club and their stupid desperate attempt to sign Fabregas fuelled by your lust over Thiago? Certainly seems like it.

Well we all digress slightly off topic didn't we?

Wibble did you ever post thiagon in Thiago thread? Many of us do, and yes we are all muppets.

This makes me regret wasting my time discussing the Fabregas situation with you.

I'm off to talk about Fabregas in the Thiago thread. I think you're making my brain bleed.

Wibble did you ever post thiagon in Thiago thread? Many of us do, and yes we are all muppets.

I don't remember. You just seem very emotionally invested in Alcaltara. Almost like a spurned lover.

He would have been a great buy but he is also just a player.

I didn't say I agreed with it either, but it's been reported as a reason why we didn't fancy him. Rightly or wrongly.

Its been reported after Bayern had express their interested, so its obvious why we said we didn't fancy him, and we have been keeping quiet all this time until that point. But it doesn't matter, with Thaigo gone the chance of Fabregas coming here would be much slimmer, thats only thing I am trying to say.

I think we should spend our time and effort go for more realistic target instead, someone like Fellani perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.