Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it's just been said on Sky Sports news that Fabregas would be happy to join United if they agree with Barcelona for a fee. This story is just going round in circles every day.

EDIT: O'Sheady there first :)

I know we're not going to get him, but every day reading Alastair and Peter in this forum make me want it more.

There's definitely been something to encourage us as far as this deal is concerned. In my opinion anyway. I just can't see us making the bid, then upping it, if we have no suspicion at all that he might be available. If he categorically didn't want to come, and they categorically don't want to sell him, I don't think we'd have upped the bid.

If he categorically didn't want to come and they categorically didn't want to sell him, they would have actually have rejected the bid officially instead of saying "Fabregas doesn't want to leave" in a press conference. I personally think there is something in this to make us come out with a bid from what I think is a bit left field, as we don't usually buy from clubs like Barcelona.

:lol:

I was referencing the thread where people claimed United acted with better conduct than anyone else in the transfer market, something that regardless of this deal, I find debatable.
Dunno what the :lol: is for.

Everyone knows what you were saying.

My Fletcher comment was reference to (what to be fair others have already commented on) the fact that business carries on regardless of personal circumstances. He's out of the picture through illness like Tito is, wouldn't have stopped us going out and finding an instant replacement if we'd needed it. Same as we're not going to slow down our pursuit of their player just because their manager has cancer.

Al has just used Tito's cancer to have a cheap dig at United. Well done.

Al has just used Tito's cancer to have a cheap dig at United. Well done.

He's still living off the time he said he'd eat his hat if something happened (I forgot what) and then it did happen, so he posted a YouTube video of him eating his hat. He got a few fair fecks that day.

I still do my usual workout but since we're in the holy month of Ramadan and that I fast half the day, it's a light version of it. I'm still noticing some fat loss around the belly :D. After the end of it, I hope to take a 3 weeks break from work so that I could really back at it.

Wrong thread?

If he is to be sold, which I still think is unlikely, Arsenal will do everything within their power to make sure Cesc comes back here.

For the sake of football in this country, let's hope he just stays.

You should have tried winning something in the last two years.

The public nature of bids implies Moyes is a tad worried about his perception among the supporters. In 25 years under Ferguson, leaks were very rare.

I've seen this said a lot on here recently. I don't think that was the case at all. Certainly not for our big signings in recent years, or big offers we've made for players that haven't come off.

Well on a net spend of zero, we've struggled a tad.

His point is valid though.

I don't want to knock Arsenal because I respect the way Wenger goes about things, but the fact is that moving to Arsenal from Barca would be a huge step down. There's no way Fabregas would want to go there, he wants to win trophies and you don't do that.

I'm not entirely sure where this issue regarding Moyes' bids being leaked is coming from. I mean, it's not like SAF regularly turned up at press conferences to reveal players who we weren't aware that we were in for. Is it because we are supposedly more aware of the exact figures etc? I'd also treat that tenuously given how wide of the mark the Chelsea bid for Rooney was i.e. player swaps.

His point is valid though.

I don't want to knock Arsenal because I respect the way Wenger goes about things, but the fact is that moving to Arsenal from Barca would be a huge step down. There's no way Fabregas would want to go there, he wants to win trophies and you don't do that.

Of course it's a step down. But then basically anything is from Barcelona. If I was on the Arsenal board, I'd tell him that we'd go and sign Suarez/whoever you want to think of and that we'd win something with him there. I'd offer him the captaincy back.

Combine that with living with his daughter in London, and there'd be a chance. Knowing our board though, we'll let this happen.

If I was on the Arsenal board, I'd tell him that we'd go and sign Suarez/whoever you want to think of and that we'd win something with him there.

But don't you think that if Arsenal were willing to take that approach - spending big money not just on Fabregas but also on another big player like Suarez to convince Fabregas to come - they might have done it already, perhaps when your best players kept leaving because of a perceived lack of ambition?

Of course it's a step down. But then basically anything is from Barcelona. If I was on the Arsenal board, I'd tell him that we'd go and sign Suarez/whoever you want to think of and that we'd win something with him there. I'd offer him the captaincy back.

Combine that with living with his daughter in London, and there'd be a chance. Knowing our board though, we'll let this happen.

The idea is to make the step down as less brutal as possible.

You wouldn't win shite all with Suarez. You scored more than and got a better GD than City last year.

Captaincy + 4th in a team full of bottle jobs isn't what he wants. And if he does then it's his career he's gonna piss away.

United at this moment in time represent an equal step from Barca. Arsenal is a step down.

But don't you think that if Arsenal were willing to take that approach - spending big money not just on Fabregas but also on another big player like Suarez to convince Fabregas to come - they might have done it already, perhaps when your best players kept leaving because of a perceived lack of ambition?

Read the innumerable threads on Arsenal's finances.

This is the first summer genuine money has been available. I mean, unless you believe we go out and sign Gervinho deliberately when we could be throwing £34m at Hazard?

Apparently it's just been said on Sky Sports news that Fabregas would be happy to join United if they agree with Barcelona for a fee. This story is just going round in circles every day.

EDIT: O'Sheady there first :)
Has he come out and said something though? Or is it just more someone close to him has said bullshit.

Can you post to me directly? No, didn't think so. You probably won't even respond to this. That's a hell of an accusation as well.

Even if you take away Fabregas' qualities as a player, why would Barcelona allow him to go when they've got so few players there anyway?

It doesn't make much sense. I imagine United are dealing with Cesc's agent more than anything. Putting in another bid the day after their manager resigns is a bit odd too. You can't imagine anything will be sanctioned until they get a new boss, and then, you'd have thought they'd want as little upheaval as possible.

Quite why United felt the need to bid as soon as Vilanova resigned is quite poor form too, but obviously your conduct as a club in the transfer market is beyond reproach.

Hell of an accusation my arse. It was a cheap dig at United and you know it. Poor form and beyond reproach are the words used by you and not me.

Is there much chance Arsenal will spend the £70+ million that will be needed to buy both Fab and Suarez?

Read the innumerable threads on Arsenal's finances.

This is the first summer genuine money has been available. I mean, unless you believe we go out and sign Gervinho deliberately when we could be throwing £34m at Hazard?

Fair point.

That said, regardless of the improved financial situation I'm not sure Fabregas would be very impressed by promises like that. He must have heard all those sorts of promises before at Arsenal, and he'll note that you've not won anything since he left either. The signs, for him, are not good.

Arsenal haven't been making splashes thus far for a season where money is genuinely available.

Fair point.

That said, regardless of the improved financial situation I'm not sure Fabregas would be very impressed by promises like that. He must have heard all those sorts of promises before at Arsenal, and he'll note that you've not won anything since he left either. The signs, for him, are not good.

To be honest, I'm pretty sure he knew the situation. I don't think Wenger has ever promised us much either, and most Gooners are well aware of the constraints we've been under in the last eight years.

Wenger has been obliged to come up with statements like 'I'm in the market for top quality' but we all know that he's only been able to do it when a gem comes up(Cazorla).

I don't think Cesc particularly wants to return here, but I don't think he wants to leave full stop and will only move if Barcelona make his position untenable.

Even if you take away Fabregas' qualities as a player, why would Barcelona allow him to go when they've got so few players there anyway?

It doesn't make much sense. I imagine United are dealing with Cesc's agent more than anything. Putting in another bid the day after their manager resigns is a bit odd too. You can't imagine anything will be sanctioned until they get a new boss, and then, you'd have thought they'd want as little upheaval as possible.

Quite why United felt the need to bid as soon as Vilanova resigned is quite poor form too, but obviously your conduct as a club in the transfer market is beyond reproach.

If that's a wind-up that's real low Al. If it's not it's just stupid. Vilanova was their coach, not their manager, and he and all previous coaches for god knows how long had minimal input in transfers. That's why they ended up with the Ibrahimovic and Chygrynskiy issues - they were never chosen by Guardiola. That's left to the director of football. You knew this already so I can only assume it was a wind-up.

If that's a wind-up that's real low Al. If it's not it's just stupid. Vilanova was their coach, not their manager, and he and all previous coaches for god knows how long had minimal input in transfers. That's why they ended up with the Ibrahimovic and Chygrynskiy issues - they were never chosen by Guardiola. That's left to the director of football. You knew this already so I can only assume it was a wind-up.

It wasn't a wum but a really poor post. Can we just forget it? I apologise.

Cabaye could be a good shout. But Moyes is a game lad, a real trier, so I'm thinking there might be one more 'big name' attempt before he gets to contemplating Newcastle's riches.

I'll have a guess at De Rossi .... 'cos trying to hijack Chelsea's bid has got to be worth a shot at least.
Well I'm assuming that rationality will reassert itself and they will go after attainable targets. If they continue in steam-heated muppet mode it will probably be a 'cheeky' bid for Messi.

Status
Not open for further replies.