Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon if the club really thinks there's a chance of this happening then their next bid will amount to £40mil, and if Barca are ever going to let him go then that's the one they'll go for.

Still sceptical about the whole thing though.
Yeh it just feels like it's not gonna happen.

I hope the people on here that claimed Fabregas actually isn't very good - during his Arsenal days of course - come out of the woodwork if we sign him.

The possibility of Fabregas coming to Unites is close to absolute zero. Its just a joke, a complete waste of time, or maybe it is just a smokescreen for someone more realistic, such as Fellani.

The possibility of Fabregas coming to Unites is close to absolute zero. Its just a joke, a complete waste of time, or maybe it is just a smokescreen for someone more realistic, such as Fellani.

Oh ok. That's that so. Best lock this thread.

To be fair, no need for any smokescreen if we want Fellani. If Moyes wants him, he'll get him the next day

How do these smoke screens work? I've heard this bandied around but it makes no sense to me.

Yeah I was wondering the same myself; that saying has been used quite a-bit this summer on here. But anyway, every bid we are making these days is a smokescreen for us signing Fellaini. Tis a good ploy indeed.

How much do Barca sign Fabregas for? He's got worse, not better. The world has gone mad!!!

Of course, we do really need a midfielder..

Would they really sell now they don't have a manager? Surely Fabregas will want to see who takes over.

I doubt even Fabregas' father would pick him in midfield ahead of Xavi, Iniesta or Busquets.

Fabregas' situation at Barcelona isn't going to improve no matter who comes in. He's pretty much stifled there until Xavi retires and that looks another year or two away yet. Does Fabregas want to continue his Barcelona career in a similar vein to the previous two seasons in order to wait for that? I would say that there's an element of doubt there, and United appear confident of captilising on it.

For a deal that supposedly has no likelihood of happening, we're really not giving up here. I can't remember many transfers where the manager has been so vocal and the club has been so public about the bids and their amounts before.
Yeap. We must have a chance of pulling this off otherwise I don't see why we'd be as vocal as we have been.

30m sterling + add-ons sounds like a reasonable improvement to our earlier bid, particularly if Fabregas is amenable to United's approach.

Somebody just mentioned 40m, has his valuation really appreciated to that extent or is that influenced by some of these silly sums of money being spent by PSG, Monaco and so on?

Well that would be one thing if the reports of our bids/interest were just speculation like Thiago was, but this is pretty much confirmed really. We might not reach an agreement as we couldn't for Sneijder, Hazard, Lucas etc but it very much looks like we're trying for him and I just can't see the point of that if we don't think it could happen. Just makes us look bad.

I doubt even Fabregas' father would pick him in midfield ahead of Xavi, Iniesta or Busquets.

Fabregas' situation at Barcelona isn't going to improve no matter who comes in. He's pretty much stifled there until Xavi retires and that looks another year or two away yet. Does Fabregas want to continue his Barcelona career in a similar vein to the previous two seasons in order to wait for that? I would say that he's doubtful.
I think he simply has to move for the reasons you've mentioned above. He's simply too good to play the character of the shabby misfit at barcelona. His talents deserve him being the star of a top team.

I hope the people on here that claimed Fabregas actually isn't very good - during his Arsenal days of course - come out of the woodwork if we sign him.

Who would these people be exactly? Don't think anyone on here ever pretended he wasn't very good at football.

That's exactly what I've been saying. Agree about the amount, that's just wasting our time. I wouldn't start listening till offers hit £40mil, because I think he's the sort of lad who'll immediately be much happier here if he can just find some convincing form. A good season (or even half season) and he'll sign a new contract.

Personally, I don't think either has much chance of moving, but that's more a hunch than anything else and I wouldn't argue with someone who disagreed.

Its gone beyond the point where him staying and become happier is an option for me personally. I want him sold but out of the country.

30m sterling + add-ons sounds like a reasonable improvement to our earlier bid, particularly if Fabregas is amenable to United's approach.

Somebody just mentioned 40m, has his valuation really appreciated to that extent or is that influenced by some of these silly sums of money being spent by PSG, Monaco and so on?
It's also influenced by his move to barca being an inevitability with arsenal having to let it happen sooner rather than later whereas in this case he's leaving the club of his dreams.

Man, i don't get this 'smokescreen' guff that people talk about.

We're not the CIA. We're not the FBI. 'Smokescreen'? Is Woodward gonna fly home to dupe the press into thinking something? Is it a game of chess? Is our chief exec actually Gerard Butler in Law Abiding Citizen?

Yeap. We must have a chance of pulling this off otherwise I don't see why we'd be as vocal as we have been.

If Barcelona seriously were not interested in selling him they would have simply told us to feck off rather than allowing us to entertain the offer of submitting another bid. I don't think Fabregas's camp is the only one who are encouraging us in all of this.

Who would these people be exactly? Don't think anyone on here ever pretended he wasn't very good at football.

Couldn't tell you. But I remember on more than one occasion having arguments with people on here that down-played Fabregas' ability. I unfortunately didn't keep a note of who they were.

Couldn't tell you. But I remember on more than one occasion having arguments with people on here that down-played Fabregas' ability. I unfortunately didn't keep a note of who they were.

Hardly anyone ever downplayed his ability from what I remember, but fair enough

I think the fact that he's been so vocal about wanting to stay puts Barca in the driving seat. There's no such thing as an objective value for a player. It's always about how much the buying and selling clubs need him, how much the selling club can afford to pay, how badly the selling club needs the money etc etc.

Also, as you say, the money-club-driven inflation continues apace. If Fernandinho is worth £30mil, then I'd say Fabregas is definitely worth £40mil.

Hardly anyone ever downplayed his ability from what I remember, but fair enough

Maybe it was just some muppets on a bad day, but you know this place yourself sometimes. I suppose a-lot on here thought he was a-bit of a twat after the 'pizza-gate' incident and maybe some let that cloud their judgement. That's fair enough, I have probably been guilty of doing the same with players I couldn't stand. I have always liked Fabregas though, I think he is a class player and I'm really hoping this one comes off

It's also influenced by his move to barca being an inevitability with arsenal having to let it happen sooner rather than later whereas in this case he's leaving the club of his dreams.

Is not that a question of compensating the player sufficiently in terms of signing-on fee and salary rather than the cash we offer his club?

I believe this bid is still to be rejected by Barcelona therefore it must carry a fair bit of temptation in it for them.

Ultimately if Moyes believes the player can go a good way to solving our CM woes then the club should back him i guess.

I would say there's a good chance we'll get him. It is rather bizarre how we've gone about it regarding the timing of the bids but I would like to think we've already talked to his agent prior to getting involved. More so because despite Barcelona's stance, we're increased our bid. I would think that's probably why Chelsea have not bid again for Rooney. I doubt he wants to leave for Chelsea even if the club might wish to cash in on him. Despite them saying he's not for sale at any price, it would be a bit backward to keep negotiating if no one was giving you any encouragement.

Maybe it was just some muppets on a bad day, but you know this place yourself sometimes. I suppose a-lot on here thought he was a-bit of a twat after the 'pizza-gate' incident and maybe some let that cloud their judgement. That's fair enough, I have probably been guilty of doing the same with players I couldn't stand. I have always liked Fabregas though, I think he is a class player and I'm really hoping this one comes off

Can't say I liked Fabregas when he played for Arsenal, he seemed like a knob, it might have been people criticizing him for incidents like the Throwing Of The Pizza, getting in Rio's face after they scored against us a few years back, the comments he made to Mark Hughes, and having a bit of a barney with David Moyes years back. But yeah football-wise he's not bad is he.

This is critical. One can only hope that the club is not being played by him as he uses our interest to further his own interests at Barcelona.

Can't say I liked Fabregas when he played for Arsenal, he seemed like a knob, it might have been people criticizing him for incidents like the Throwing Of The Pizza, getting in Rio's face after they scored against us a few years back, the comments he made to Mark Hughes, and having a bit of a barney with David Moyes years back. But yeah football-wise he's not bad is he.

Yeah he can be a-bit of a twat when he wants to be, no doubt about that. But there was definitely a-few on here that used to question how good he actually is.

On another note: so if we do get Fabregas, that will leave Barcelona with Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Song. And hasn't It been said that Sergi Roberto will get game-time this season, that should leave them with plenty of cover.

For a deal that supposedly has no likelihood of happening, we're really not giving up here. I can't remember many transfers where the manager has been so vocal and the club has been so public about the bids and their amounts before.

Yep, I think we will get him. Fabregas and Van Persie next season, holy shit.

More to do with the fact that Barca don't, by all accounts, need or want to sell him. £40m for a player like Fabregas is perfectly fair in today's market in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.