Fabregas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barca's vice president has ruled out any chance of listening to offers so we can forget about this one.

...like tryin to sell season tickets by wasting everyone's time (especially their fans) with redherring bids....

:) Those too.

They already have Wilshere and it doesn't make sense for them to spend a huge sum to bring Cesc back. Creating chances in not one of Arsenal's problems; putting those chances in to the net is. Also, they have more immediate need for a defensive midfielder and a central defender. For a club that is not renowned to spend a lot of money in the transfer market, Cesc sounds like a luxury they might not want to afford. Cesc also will command pretty hefty wages.

Seems as though fabregas is going to have to push for the move, if it will happen.

to be honest I had a better feeling about the thiago situation, but then maybe we will all be in for a suprise.

Exact same noises as coming from United over Rooney, and we still all think he will leave.

woody is now flying back to australia on urgent tail between his legs business.

You've probably already answered this somewhere but I've not kept up too well, what are your thoughts on Cesc? Do you want to keep him or would you rather cash in?

It's too late for what I wanted/wished to happen. When the Thiago rumours started with United, I was already hoping United were in for Cesc and let us keep Thiago.

Someone else alluded to this but the first contract renewal (With the playing clause issue) he had in 2010 was at the time Cesc returned to Barcelona - it was then that many fans worried Fab's arrival would hamper if not altogether ruin Thiago's development. Even fearing that he'd eventually leave the club...which, of course, he did.

Still, I'd be happy to see him go but I don't think now is the time, they have no credible depth atm and lost their next best midfielder in Thiago. Sergio Roberto is a terrific midfielder but while his ceiling is hard to predict, he is not a potential Ballon D'Or winner like Thiago, IMO - not even close. After that, Samper is still a couple of seasons away.

So they have to sign someone to replace Cesc. Isco would've been a great option, especially since he's a professed culé but that ship has also sailed. Mata is probably difficult to obtain with Mou in charge which leaves perhaps Gündoğan & Torres (Down the line) as possibilities. They'll need time to pursue their target as this board seems to take the long approach in getting the best deal possible

I just can't see this happening. It doesn't make any sense.

Then again, why would we leak a bid and talk about it publicly if we didn't strongly believe we'll get him?

Probably because our main domestic rivals are the ones bidding on him.

I'm just saying people can't have this transfer as off, and then say that the Rooney one is on.

The public positions are so ridiculously far apart though that it leads you to the conclusion that either the club has lost the plot or something is going on in private that we don't know about.

On a side note I find Wengers "he said he'll stay for one more year" comment interesting because it suggests that he wants to leave.

Same. But he'd have to be a fool not to be considering it, he wants to feel more important at the club but he's done nothing to warrant it. Gooners will disagree of course but I said this ahead of his return to the club - he's a gloryhunter and I wanted nothing to do with him back at the club.

He idolizes Pep & think he's the heir to Xavi but he's not in the same class

Why on earth would we speak publicly about this if we weren't almost positive about doing a deal with Barcelona?

Woodward has failed his first assignment.

Prising him away from Barca was always going to be tough. Talking about it to the media on the other hand, will just make us look incompetent when the transfer doesn't materialise. Shit like this should be kept private until you're 99.9% sure the deal is done.

Barca stuff has no inside info just tweets reports from Spain that's all.
They don't claim to have inside knowledge. They are quoting a paper that does however have their sources - a paper that has apparently interviewed the Barca vice president.

I don't see the point in shooting down that tweet.

Same. But he'd have to be a fool not to be considering it, he wants to feel more important at the club but he's done nothing to warrant it. Gooners will disagree of course but I said this ahead of his return to the club - he's a gloryhunter and I wanted nothing to do with him back at the club.

Are there any murmurs on signing Valbuena? His agent talked about a move to Barca a few days back.

feck it, I can feel the bad stench of optimism closing in. I almost believe it will happen now.

feck it, I don't want to believe! Must log off the caf. It's the hope that kills.

It's too late for what I wanted/wished to happen. When the Thiago rumours started with United, I was already hoping United were in for Cesc and let us keep Thiago.

Someone else alluded to this but the first contract renewal (With the playing clause issue) he had in 2010 was at the time Cesc returned to Barcelona - it was then that many fans worried Fab's arrival would hamper if not altogether ruin Thiago's development. Even fearing that he'd eventually leave the club...which, of course, he did.

Still, I'd be happy to see him go but I don't think now is the time, they have no credible depth atm and lost their next best midfielder in Thiago. Sergio Roberto is a terrific midfielder but while his ceiling is hard to predict, he is not a potential Ballon D'Or winner like Thiago, IMO - not even close. After that, Samper is still a couple of seasons away.

So they have to sign someone to replace Cesc. Isco would've been a great option, especially since he's a professed culé but that ship has also sailed. Mata is probably difficult to obtain with Mou in charge which leaves perhaps Gündoğan & Torres (Down the line) as possibilities. They'll need time to pursue their target as this board seems to take the long approach in getting the best deal possible

Fair enough, cheers.

Why would Chelsea speak about Rooney?

Because they have probably spoken to his agent and are aware that he wants to join them.

Fabregas has (as far as I can tell) not been pushing for a move this summer.

To me it looked as though it was Barca trying to get rid of the player rather than the other way around. The Vice Presidents comments has however seemed to pour hot water over that theory though.

Maybe the expectation to be an heir to Xavi is the difficult thing. Finding another Xavi will be pretty much impossible, he's that special. Fergie said something last season about how hard it is to find another Scholes and maybe were in this predicament because Scholesy set the bar so high. I know he's an academy product, but perhaps his style just doesn't slot as seamlessly into tiki-taka as predicted when he was bought back. Doesn't make him any less of a player it just makes it disappointing given all of what it took to get him back and the expectation that went with it.

This must be what the Allied officers felt like during WW2 when they sent agents behind enemy lines on special operations. I bet Moyes sits in his hotel room (single bed) in Sydney, by the radio, waiting desperately for news in morse code from agent Woodward.

I bet he has a really cool codename as well. I'd wager it's "Woodpecker".

Imagine the delight in Moyes's face, in the form of an angry glare, when the radio starts to sparkle and the news filters through:
"Woodpecker to Gollum. The Fabulous Fish has taken the bait. I repeat: The fabulous Fish has taken the bait. Hook, line and sinker."

Meanwhile, we of the Caf symbolize the population of the occupied Europe, awaiting the sorely needed news that the war is over (that the Fab deal is done). We're kept all in the dark, with nothing but radio silence and sounds (Fabricated Twitter soundbites from Indykaila) offering us some notion of where we're at.

Oh the tension!

Because they have probably spoken to his agent and are aware that he wants to join them.

Fabregas has (as far as I can tell) not been pushing for a move this summer.

To me it looked as though it was Barca trying to get rid of the player rather than the other way around. The Vice Presidents comments has however seemed to pour hot water over that theory though.
I'm not sure you've gotten your water temperature right.

Because Rooney is unsettled. There is no indication that Fabregas is looking to leave
Wenger's comments about Fabregas suggesting he would "give it one more year" don't strike me as something someone settled would say. I wouldn't expect Wenger to suggest RvP was going to give it one more year here. There's something going on for sure.

Fabregas just isn't suited to barca anymore. He's easily good enough for them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.