F1 2024 Season

I wish there would be a period, a decade or so, where we get alternating teams being good and everyone at the top being close.

Rather than 5 years of Red bull, followed by 7 years of Mercedes, followed by 3 more years of Red bull.

Singapore is a nice backdrop but no amount of city lights, fireworks can elevate this layout and look. Very bleak and austere when the cameras are focused on the cars. Reminds me of some disused barricaded side area in Running Man.

I wish there would be a period, a decade or so, where we get alternating teams being good and everyone at the top being close.

Rather than 5 years of Red bull, followed by 7 years of Mercedes, followed by 3 more years of Red bull.

Ironically the reg change at the end of 2021 to improve the racing resulted in removing the competition, just as Merc and Red Bull were finally on an even footing. Just hoping 2026 doesn't do the same again.

The annoying thing is that if we kept the current rules for another 5 years I reckon there's a good chance of 5 different champions. The grid has closed up so much and with the likes of Newey moving to Aston it could change again.

Always seems to happen right before a rules set change. 2021 whilst only being between two was a stonking year and the final year of a regulation set.

I wish every season was like 1997 though, aside from the wonderful looking cars, I remember they had tyres that meant they could divebomb at basically every turn and one of about six teams were in it for the win with basically everyone else except Tyrrell and Minardi on for podiums and points at any given race. It still ended up being Villeneuve v Schumacher but it was a fantastic year for the variety of people on the pace at each round. Prost, Benetton, Jordan and Sauber were all top six contenders and depending on the weather you had Stewart and Arrows in there too - Damon at Hungaroring being the famous example but Panis nearly beat Villeneuve at Argentina for instance. Fisichella should've won in Germany but at least Berger did instead and Trulli could've won on his Prost debut in Austria until his engine blew. Williams/JV had a real off period mid season and the Ferrari was never really good enough to be dominant aside from Schumacher's brilliance so the other teams were always there. Well worth a watch on F1TV that season was.

Tell me you cant read without telling me you cant read.
You said the DNF’s weren’t an issue now because they aren’t finishing one and two. Then seven days later they finish one and two, with Max comfortably in the top five and then some - definitely not a struggle.

Like I said before, you use worst case scenario for Max and best case for Norris. The reality is that Norris had his best case scenario race and didn’t even get the 8 point average needed.

Each race that ticks by where Max can stick to the back of Norris, he becomes an even bigger favourite as Norris has no wiggle room for penalties or reliability.

Ironically the reg change at the end of 2021 to improve the racing resulted in removing the competition, just as Merc and Red Bull were finally on an even footing. Just hoping 2026 doesn't do the same again.
i wouldnt count on it. The current view is that the field spread will be bigger than 2022. We can blame movable aero for that.

Someone will nail it and be next in line to dominate ala vettel - hamilton - verstappen.

it would nice as others have said, if they left the regs alone and tweaked for increased wake on a season by season basis.

Singapore is a nice backdrop but no amount of city lights, fireworks can elevate this layout and look. Very bleak and austere when the cameras are focused on the cars. Reminds me of some disused barricaded side area in Running Man.
i really like it and think it look awesome. Probably cause its a night race. Its not as processional as the snore bore thats monaco.

if you've ever driven it in the f1 game, its a brutal unforgiving track, but so enjoyable.

That section after the bridge :mad:
I'm being dense. You don't like the changes to the track? Or prefer the way it was previously? S3 caused the most safety cars at the GP. Even in the game, S3 and the approach to the bridge was a b*stars.

A few sources reporting that Bottas will have the remaining Sauber seat in 25.
It's a solid midfield line up of Bottas and Hulkenberg. Both experienced and Bottas has the experience of a top end team which could be useful to Audi.

However if you offered the Williams lineup of albon and Sainz to Audi, I bet they wouldn't hesitate for a second.

Big season next year for Leclerc, Sainz and Russell, they have alot to lose if they don't beat their teammates over the course of the season.

Yeah I mean I always crash at that section in the game :lol:
Same here, the rewind function is a good send. Especially if you playing half or full distance, one slight mistake in braking half a second too late or the wrong angle of approach and the car doesn't rotate and into that stupid wall you go.

Another key, long term, Red Bull employee switching teams.

And another reason why I can't see Max staying beyond 2026. I do think too much sometimes is read into these things at times: top level employees are always on the move when a company has been successful (hell, we wouldn't have many of the great companies in the world if they had stayed with their then great companies) and most people at that level are highly motivated by challenges, but the short order of departures does raise some questions..especially with them being announced mid season.

I'm guessing Mateschitz leaving truly did unsettle the organization. A bit like when the parents hold a family together and when they pass a lot of those remaining fight over the scraps.

Really interesting article about the RB20. RedBull in FP's tried to mimic the soft suspension / medium downforce wing setup of McLaren, but it fundamentally doesn't work with the RB20. RB20 needs a stiff suspension. RedBull switched to a stiff suspension setup and prioritised aerodynamics over mechanical grip (the latter a strength of the McLaren).

They also used the Monaco high downforce rear wing on verstappen's car and changed the diffuser on both cars, to give up some peak downforce for more rear stability.

I had absolutely no idea that its a soft suspension and excellent mechanical grip that makes the McLaren so good.

Also think it's crazy that RedBull start to get beaten by a design philosophy very different to there's, when we all thought the only answer was to copy the design philosophy of the RedBull (last year's).

It's not the first time mechanical grip has reared it's head under this ruleset. The cars can produce more downforce than the mechanic suspension can handle. We've seen that with Mercedes, Ferrari and now RedBull.

Kudos to Adrian Newey, he had the foresight going into 2022 season, to focus mainly on the suspension of the car. It seems to be key to this ruleset.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/3032...red-bull-turned-rb20-around-after-friday.html

Kinda wish they could do some send-off at Austin in a place he seemed to always love so much. But I would also understand if he doesn't want to show his face right now. Hopefully they can at least do something on the team side to show their appreciation - even if it's just a thank you Daniel on the car or something.

Plenty of drivers have come and gone in F1 - but not many with some of the successes and impact on the sport this guy has had. He has been a great ambassador for the sport, even the season he wasn't driving.

Im happy to see they also cast someone to play Ratzenberger. Gives me some hope they give him the proper recognition. Til this day it feels a bit like a stain on the sport to me his crash was so overshadowed by everything Senna.
I saw that and said to myself, I was glad they included him.
You are right Roland is always forgotten, he is never really officially remembered , it is always as an after thought about Senna, we all know the story about Senna almost not driving the race and the Austrian flag he had, if he had listen to Sid he would have been fishing.

To be fair to VCA RB they should be using that seat for development drivers and Danny Ric was never getting a seat back at RB so it's a fair decision.

Hopefully he lands on his feet and I'm sure he will. Either with another team or in the media because he'll be good at that. Fresh even.

Horner shuts down McLaren's Ricciardo claim:
- Christian Horner has refuted the suggestion that Daniel Ricciardo was used to intentionally deny McLaren and Lando Norris the bonus point for fastest lap during the Singapore Grand Prix. The RB driver was pitted on the penultimate lap and secured the fastest lap of the race. However, because he finished outside the top 10, he did not receive the extra point and merely prevented Norris from claiming it.
- Zak Brown questioned the move, highlighting the potential conflict of Red Bull owning two teams, as the late call benefited Max Verstappen in the championship. Due to that intervention, Verstappen can afford to finish second to Norris in each of the final nine races and still win the drivers' title, regardless of fastest lap points.
- Horner denied any accusations of impropriety, stating:
"Racing Bulls [RB] stopped and did the fastest lap at the end of the race. There’s nothing more to it than that."
- Horner further explained:
"Kevin Magnussen would have had it had he not gone wide earlier in the race and he has a Ferrari engine. Every team has its own independence."
- Brown has continued to highlight potential issues regarding Red Bull’s relationship with its sister team RB, especially with two championships on the line. Although not directly responding to Brown’s claims, Horner noted:
"It’s always going to get raised because it’s the same ownership, so it’s inevitable that question’s going to get raised."
- He also pointed out a motivating factor for Ricciardo:
"Remember, he [Ricciardo] gets paid a bonus on a fastest lap."