F1 2024 Season

Having just watched it again, Max car was out of control well before Lewis Hamilton started to the right for the right turn.

So it is actually the other way round. What did Hamilton do wrong?

Yeah, it was divebomb and very stupid from Max, but Hamilton literally turned his wheels into Max's rear end(because Hamilton was supposed to turn into the corner), he generally didn't do anything wrong from rules point of view, I am just saying that he could have continued bit straight and hit the brakes more which would just send Max straight and it would be easy for Hamilton to take over the position back, this way he risked his car being hit too.

Yeah, it was divebomb and very stupid from Max, but Hamilton literally turned his wheels into Max's rear end(because Hamilton was supposed to turn into the corner), he generally didn't do anything wrong from rules point of view, I am just saying that he could have continued bit straight and hit the brakes more which would just send Max straight and it would be easy for Hamilton to take over the position back, this way he risked his car being hit too.
You usually have good takes in here but this is straight up bonkers. Do you think Lewis intentionally turned in there? This whole idea of “could have continued straight” as if everyone also has to make room for Max whatever he does. Lewis has already massively compromised his line there. Lewis has no reason to risk his position. So acting like he “could have continued straight” as if he intentionally turned when he did to make contact is nonsense. At worst, he misjudged Max and in the interest of not losing much time to Leclerc, turned in a bit too early.

But all of this is irrelevant. Imagine some guy speeding up behind you, and you brake for traffic in front. Imagine you brake a little early and leave an extra meter than you needed to in front, and so the guy behind who slams his brakes ends up hitting you, but otherwise wouldn’t have if you’d braked perfectly. Does it become your fault? No.

I don’t mind the no penalty because meh, but let’s not pretend like there’s equal responsibility for the collision. That’s obviously not true, and to know that full well. And not just from a “rules” point of view.

Genuine queation, what did Max do wrong there? It was a classic divebomb that we see quite often, are divebombs illegal?

I mean, you can say he is a cnut and a child, he deserves it after his comments today, and I am definitely not defending him individually, I just don't see anything wrong with that move. We see that almost every race.
The outcome sometimes influences the decision. In football, there’s nothing wrong with a guy slide tackling. But if you feck it up and hit someone and not the ball, you get punished. Even if you have all the best intentions. Even if the other player could have done more to avoid the collision themselves. That’s the same here. You’re welcome to dive bomb but if you lose control and hit someone, you pay the price.

Caused a collision, simple as that, lucky not to get a penalty, again.

Absolute baby all race long. Back at his worst, only plays well when his car is a second a lap faster.

But the usual responders are in here defending him all the way.

Can't imagine their opinions if that was the other way around.

You usually have good takes in here but this is straight up bonkers. Do you think Lewis intentionally turned in there? This whole idea of “could have continued straight” as if everyone also has to make room for Max whatever he does. Lewis has already massively compromised his line there. Lewis has no reason to risk his position. So acting like he “could have continued straight” as if he intentionally turned when he did to make contact is nonsense. At worst, he misjudged Max and in the interest of not losing much time to Leclerc, turned in a bit too early.

I don’t mind the no penalty because meh, but let’s not pretend like there’s equal responsibility for the collision. That’s obviously not true, and to know that full well. And not just from a “rules” point of view.

I don't think he intentionally moved, but I am quite sure if it happened again he wouldn't take same line in this corner, for his own sake.

Screenshot-20240721-210824-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20240721-210838-You-Tube.jpg

If you don't think Hamilton could have done better for himself after these two pictures then I have nothing else to say.

But all of this is irrelevant. Imagine some guy speeding up behind you, and you brake for traffic in front. Imagine you brake a little early and leave an extra meter than you needed to in front, and so the guy behind who slams his brakes ends up hitting you, but otherwise wouldn’t have if you’d braked perfectly. Does it become your fault? No.

Mate, this is terrible example.
The outcome sometimes influences the decision. In football, there’s nothing wrong with a guy slide tackling. But if you feck it up and hit someone and not the ball, you get punished. Even if you have all the best intentions. Even if the other player could have done more to avoid the collision themselves. That’s the same here. You’re welcome to dive bomb but if you lose control and hit someone, you pay the price.

That's fair.

I don't think he intentionally moved, but I am quite sure if it happened again he wouldn't take same line in this corner, for his own sake.

Screenshot-20240721-210824-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20240721-210838-You-Tube.jpg

Mate, this is terrible example.

That's fair.
Of course not, he’d wait longer. But I’m not sure when he made the decision to start turning he knew Max was going to lock up. I don’t know for sure but we are talking split seconds and when Max was level I don’t think Lewis knew he was going to lock, at least based on these pictures. Like I said I could be wrong.

And it’s a great example! :)

Absolute baby all race long. Back at his worst, only plays well when his car is a second a lap faster.

There is literally no one here defending Max except me maybe, but even I am not defending Max per se, I am commentating on that particular move. He completely lost it today judging by that radio, and watching his few unusual mistakes today. Who exactly is defending him, can you show those posts?

Can’t believe max didn’t get a penalty for that. He dived bombed, got it wrong and hit a car attempting to go around the bend. Was Lewis meant to go straight on too just to avoid the contact
Definitely should've been a penalty. But then the FIA always seem to, purely accidentally, favour Max.

Agreed. It’s ridiculous really, he’s lucky to have still made the podium.

Of course not, he’d wait longer. But I’m not sure when he made the decision to start turning he knew Max was going to lock up. I don’t know for sure but we are talking split seconds and when Max was level I don’t think Lewis knew he was going to lock, at least based on these pictures. Like I said I could be wrong.

And it’s a great example! :)

To be fair, I find myself quite professional driver considering I drive lots of km yearly, and I have avoided one or two accidents from amateur drivers by checking my mirror and continuing straight. Of course I wouldn't be at fault, but if I could do something better I would blame myself for not doing it.

I do get what you’re saying. But when you’re driving on the road you’re also not trying to minimise every second of your journey. Perhaps that’s where my example falls down too, but the point is - because someone could have taken avoiding action, doesn’t then make it their fault. If Hamilton has to retire, of course he’d reflect on whether he could have done something different. But I’m not sure that matters unless he egregiously didn’t do something he obviously should have.

It’s ok to blame Max in full sometimes. It doesn’t always need caveats.

It was a shambles from both sides. Red Bull didn't get the car setup right, the big update package didn't really work, then they fecked up by telling Max to give Norris the place back which he didn't have to, after which they fecked up the strategy as well by allowing him to be undercut on a track that is known for being difficult to overtake on. And when Max was angry about these things GP responded passive aggressively pouring more fuel on the fire sending Max into a frenzy :lol:
Those two are hilarious. The comedic double act I never knew I needed. I've never heard an engineer disagree with his driver about a penalty, let alone basically tell him to stop being so childish. :lol:

Definitely should've been a penalty. But then the FIA always seem to, purely accidentally, favour Max.
Tbf, max lost a place or two from that incident and he didn't damage Hamilton's car. If he had done so he probably would have received a penalty.

Besides he's probably at home now, playing his SIM racing while sitting on a bag of frozen peas :lol:

McLaren should've pitted Piastri first or at least tell Lando we're giving you first pit stop/undercut but you must give the place back when Piastri comes out then you can race, there was 15-20 laps. Telling Lando do it at your leisure was silly.

For Lando instead of delaying the inevitable knowing he was only ahead due to pitting first, I would've swapped back and then tried to overtake, which he has the pace and tyre deg to do so. Piastri would've liked a cleaner win to celebrate his first full GP victory, the whole thing was a mess, swap them back with 15-20 laps to and let them race or just pit Piastri first. If Piastri manages to hold off Lando then he'll celebrate a fantastic win. Of course any racer will take the win but it's been marred.

Not guaranteed, no, but with 1/3 of the race to go and only a couple of seconds behind, I'm sure he'd have liked to at least been afforded the chance to win. Instead he's been made to give that up to cover off a guy who finished 10 seconds behind him and was never a threat.

Perhaps there's a miscommunication but I fully agree with you - it's criminally stupid and ludicrous to let Lando undercut Piastri from P2.

If Lando had overtaken Oscar on track then fair enough - but putting the guy in 2nd on a better strategy then forcing him to give the place back is such an idiotic thing to do especially as P2 was never in doubt for the second car.

It was a miracle he got by Leclerc but it was obvious he didnt feel confident braking into turn 1 or 2 all race. Both times he went for it in turn 1 was because a back marker was there, giving double slipstream and making the braking zone a bit more complex.

Also why he was complaining on the radio about -5 brake bias not even making a difference. Pretty sure that's maximum rear braking to try and protect dodgy front brakes. No one is running that into a turn 1 hairpin normally in F1.
Why would you use terms like ‘miracle’. You make it sound like he was driving an Alpine. He was following Hamilton no issue and had more pace than him all race. You can’t do that with brakes that are “fecked”.

He clearly felt the brakes were working better than you seem to, otherwise he would never have gone for that move.

Oh great, I see this thread is back to Hamilton fanboys Vs Max fanboys :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I've so missed that......

It was a miracle he got by Leclerc but it was obvious he didnt feel confident braking into turn 1 or 2 all race. Both times he went for it in turn 1 was because a back marker was there, giving double slipstream and making the braking zone a bit more complex.

Also why he was complaining on the radio about -5 brake bias not even making a difference. Pretty sure that's maximum rear braking to try and protect dodgy front brakes. No one is running that into a turn 1 hairpin normally in F1.
Searched the net for any news on max having brake issues in the GP and nothing at all.

Think this one is in your head and not based in reality.

Who’d have thought that a spoilt entitled rich kid would be a massive prick? Look at 90% of the grid

Lando showed his colours today.
I did not get that sense from watching it. What was exchanged that leads you to think that? Just curious. Thought they have respect for each other.

The radio messages were the most interesting thing about this race. I'm glad Oscar got the race win in the end, however I'm sure he wouldn't have been as excited due to how it all played out. Mclaren really made a mess of it, but I do think that Norris made the right decision in the end. I don't think he is catching Max this year, however next year if the cars stay where they are now he has a much better change. And ultimately it is next year, where he is going to still need Oscar's and the teams help if he wants to be in with a real shot of the drivers championship. So while he came very close to burning bridges, he didn't end up throwing the match on it.

Also Max showing his true colors again when things are not going 100% of his way. Its entertaining at least, but are also the reason many people don't like him as a person.

How the feck can you hold your head up high for your first win when your team ordered your tm to let you pass?
McLaren put him in that position by pitting lando first, if they pitted piastri first since he was the leading car then he would've won easily. He deserved that win.

Just watched the highlights and it was a decent race.
Max had a nightmare race , I thought totally at fault for the collision with Lewis, how did he not get a penalty? Is Max spending to much time playing online sim racing ? He was grumpy bad tempered made mistakes all the signs points to lack of sleep. Crofty made a comment that he was online racing till 2am then again before the race, even Horner told him his radio messages were childish in the end.
McLaren I thought Aldo had a nightmare time, great they go one and two, totally deserved, but I think strategy took the shine off it.
Pitted Norris was Oscar was leading, they knew it would undercut Oscar but still did it, Lewis was never going to win , I though pitting to fight Lewis was a strange one.
Oscar fully deserved the win, but not the way he won.
The radio messages between Norris and team were shocking, basically in the end saying, let him pass or you won’t get the support of the team or Oscar in future races, letting Oscar though was the right thing to do though.
My thoughts after watching is Max and Red-bull’s after race meeting will be loud and with choice words used, would love to be a fly on the wall of that meeting.
Lewis getting his 200th podium was excellent thought he had a decent if fairly bland race.

Last edited:
Max had a nightmare race , I thought totally at fault for the collision with Lewis, how did he not get a penalty? Is Max spending to much time playing online sim racing ? He was grumpy bad tempered made mistakes all the signs points to lack of sleep. Crofty made a comment that he was online racing till 2am then again before the race, even Horner told him his radio messages were childish in the end.
McLaren I thought Aldo had a nightmare time, great they go one and two, totally deserved, but I think strategy took the shine off it.
Pitted Norris was Oscar was leading, they knew it would undercut Norris but still did it, Lewis was never going to win , I though pitting to fight Lewis was a strange one.
The radio messages between Norris and team were shocking, basically in the end saying, let him pass or you won’t get the support of the team or Oscar in future races, letting Oscar though was the right thing to do though.
My thoughts after watching is Max and Red-bull’s after race meeting will be loud and with choice words used, would love to be a fly on the wall of that meeting.
Lewis getting his 200th podium was excellent thought he had a decent if fairly bland race.
A comment? He made a few comments on the actual race in between repeating the whole Max didn't sleep enough stuff.

Verstappen angry: 'At Red Bull not everyone realises how serious it is':

- Max Verstappen is unhappy with Red Bull Racing's latest update package, which he feels is insufficient despite being the biggest of the season.

- Verstappen's frustration is evident as he secured only third place on the grid in Hungary, behind the McLarens of Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri.

- Before the Grand Prix weekend at the Hungaroring, Verstappen had expressed hope regarding Red Bull's updates but is now less positive.

- Despite all the updates, Verstappen believes the RB20 is still not performing well enough, leading to his frustration.

"Because I did hope it would have delivered a bit more."

"I said yesterday that it was not optimal. Maybe we have slightly different opinions on that then,"

"I think they [McLaren] also looked very strong at the longrun. Of course they have been for the last few races. I don't suddenly see us being stronger there either,"

"On pure speed," he adds.

"At least with me they know I don't make excuses. I am always realistic in that. Maybe not everyone is on the same wavelength,"

"But I think some people do need to wake up a bit,"

Asked who are the ones who need to wake up, he says: "I don't need to go into details who that is."

"In the beginning they were always second or third, but is it that they are going to win, maybe be first and second or first and third. At some point, that's just not sustainable, but yes, we are doing our best."

Asked if he is also worried about his own position in the drivers' championship, the Dutchman replied,

"I am working on that, yes."

He only was in front due to a team decision and therefore he should respect the team decision to move him back. Maclaren clearly fecked it all up but it's not like Lando was guaranteed to pass Piastri before the (inexplicable) undercut.

Yeah, their team decision hence why they sacrificed Lando to get in Piastri good books, despite it being them who made the feck up.

Pitted Norris was Oscar was leading, they knew it would undercut Norris but still did it, Lewis was never going to win , I though pitting to fight Lewis was a strange one.

That's just nonsense from Crofty, once again. Like so many in the British press he likes to push a narrative and yesterday it was this. He went on and on about it to the point where almost everyone on social media was telling him to shut up. His commentary was absolutely shite yesterday, I'm sorry to say. I usually watch through F1TV with English commentary instead of Dutch because I always found it to be of better quality and more balanced but lately I've been second guessing myself on this. It's biased, filled with narratives like these and the way he hypes stuff up feels very artificial.

That's just nonsense from Crofty, once again. Like so many in the British press he likes to push a narrative and yesterday it was this. He went on and on about it to the point where almost everyone on social media was telling him to shut up. His commentary was absolutely shite yesterday, I'm sorry to say. I usually watch through F1TV with English commentary instead of Dutch because I always found it to be of better quality and more balanced but lately I've been second guessing myself on this. It's biased, filled with narratives like these and the way he hypes stuff up feels very artificial.
Fair point, I find Crofty OK sometimes and unbeatable most, not watched the fully race yet , so only got a bit of the sim racing comments, but it’s not the first time I have heard about Max burning the candle at both ends. Is it true , honestly I have no idea.

Yeah it's true. I thought it was quite funny and I was surprised max was doing it (staying up so late on a race night). Not the first time apparently but when everything is so close maybe a bit of focus on the day job might help.

If I was being a cnut to everyone I work with and it became known that I was up until the early hours the night before I would feel pretty embarrassed.

McLaren put him in that position by pitting lando first, if they pitted piastri first since he was the leading car then he would've won easily. He deserved that win.

We will never know that. He’d already made one mistake (and made another one shortly after pitting) and Norris would probably have been right behind him. He would probably still have won, as Norris wouldn’t have taken any unnecessary risks and it’s very hard to overtake in Hungary, but there’s nothing to suggest that he’d have driven away on slightly older tyres as Lando did.

I use F1TV app but I select the other english commentary. No Crofty anymore for me. It makes watching races at least ten times better