Explosions reported at Brussels airport.

These attackers were probably French and Belgium, just like the Paris ones.

Do you think "homegrown" terrorists would be a problem right now if the ME was peaceful and/or prosperous?

Three Islamic Middle Eastern capitals

Riyadh-skyline.jpg

tehran-02.jpg

Abu-Dhabi-19.jpg

Do you think "homegrown" terrorists would be a problem right now if the ME was peaceful and/or prosperous?
I have no way of answering that question because there are too many answers.

In some other universe, the middle east is at peace, and young western Muslims speak lyrically about the great teachings of Islam in the same way your average British Buddhist or someone who follows Japanese teachings would today.

In another universe, the middle east is largely at peace and we still have bombings.

Yeah, they can make suggestions within the communities that they preside over, but when it comes to actual law, they have zero credibility or power. Whether or not they are a bad social influence (particularly against women) is a different matter. But they don't possess any legal power whatsoever.
I'll have to assume you know more about this than me because all I know is what I heard on Sky News. Maybe we'll know more when this report is done.

Riyadh-skyline.jpg

tehran-02.jpg

Abu-Dhabi-19.jpg

You know just how disingenuous that is. But let me indulge you, the ME has more than 3 countries, and totalitarian govts mean that the fabulous wealth of your pictures remains concentrated in a few hands, becoming meaningless in a discussion of prosperity.
On that note I'll be very interested to know how many jihadists are flowing out of Dubai (I think you've shown that) v/s, say, Syria or even Saudi.

@matherto

Can you give me a heads up before you nuke my Muslim neighbours please. I'll head away for a few hours. I don't think they're terrorists, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

You know just how disingenuous that is. But let me indulge you, the ME has more than 3 countries, and totalitarian govts mean that the fabulous wealth of your pictures remains concentrated in a few hands, becoming meaningless in a discussion of prosperity.
On that note I'll be very interested to know how many jihadists are flowing out of Dubai (I think you've shown that) v/s, say, Syria or even Saudi.
I agree, I'm being equally disingenuous and lazy as you are being by calling the middle east similar to medieval Europe.

There are places in the middle east which are extremely poor, places in the middle east which are very insular, and places in the middle east which are very dangerous. And there are places in countries like Brazil, Mexico, Costa Rica, India, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, etc, etc, etc. Pick any country outside of the main European and Asian countries, and a few English speaking countries, and they will have areas that if you went to, you might think "I'm back in the past".

Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan are in a civil war with hundreds of warring religious militant gangs.

Anyway, I didn't mean to descend this thread into a debate on the middle east, that seems disrespectful in a weird internet way to what happened in Brussles.

I agree, I'm being equally disingenuous and lazy as you are being by calling the middle east similar to medieval Europe.

There are places in the middle east which are extremely poor, places in the middle east which are very insular, and places in the middle east which are very dangerous. And there are places in countries like Brazil, Mexico, Costa Rica, India, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, etc, etc, etc. Pick any country outside of the main European and Asian countries, and a few English speaking countries, and they will have areas that if you went to, you might think "I'm back in the past".

Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan are in a civil war with hundreds of warring religious militant gangs.

Anyway, I didn't mean to descend this thread into a debate on the middle east, that seems disrespectful in a weird internet way to what happened in Brussles.

My original post specifically mentioned Islam. I think it's a combination of the religion and the politics of that region.

Riyadh-skyline.jpg

tehran-02.jpg

Abu-Dhabi-19.jpg

Ironically those counties are probably the biggest backers of radical jihadists. One of them is the home and heartland of Wahabism - the very doctrine that inspires the likes of ISIS and Al Qaeda.

I was terrified when I heard of the attacks, my brother lives and works in the region of the metro attack. Thankfully he is ok.

My thoughts are with the victims, and their families.

Utter cowards carrying out these despicable acts against innocent people, yet again. How many more times must we see this?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ials-bash-shitty-belgian-security-forces.html

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mitchprothe...erwhelmed-by-terror-investigations#.jsJlG2vRq

This is a major problem for all countries, but particularly the smaller nations with weaker intelligence apparatuses. Belgium is fairly dysfunctional for a Western country to begin with without including its logistical limitations. In the Schengen Area, the failures of other nations' security forces are a major concern for everyone. It requires other nations to dedicate resources to operate in friendly nations to cover for the incompetence or limitations of allies. For their own security, it would be reasonable for the US, France, UK, and Germany to all operate significantly in the Low Countries, Balkans, and other parts of the EU that are vulnerable to potential terrorist cells. Of course CIA, MI6 and others worked in these countries already, but they shouldn't need to operate there to cover for incompetence or ineffectiveness exclusively to protect other nations.

The only people who will attack you in Florida are gangbangers, methheads, druglords with chainsaws, old people who are really awful drivers...then there's the gators, pythons and sharks.

Other than that you should be OK. Oh, and don't put any valuables in your suitcases if you are going through Miami airport. The baggage handlers are notorious for stealing from luggage.
Grinbear, don't remind me of the crocs! Flying to MCO so hopefully that's slightly better.

This isn't only about the Middle East though: i know that the Syrian and Iraqi conflicts are where our attention is predominantly drawn, but Africa and Asia are both experiencing significant struggles of their own in one form or another. France and Britain in particular, have been shown to be vulnerable to the ongoing strife in Africa.

Last edited:
To this day, I don't think anyone in the western world has fully understand what causes terrorism, and I don't think the terrorist knows what is it that they stands for anymore other than the washed up cliche of invidelity vs. democracy. Is it about wealth? freedom? religion? ideology?

It's like trying to find the cure of people with AIDS, instead of tackling the AIDS we're spending billions on trying to fix the cold, the gangrene, the headache, the ulcer, and any other things too many to tackle instead of fixing the root of the cause.

Whether or not the root of the cause can be fixed, it's still better to fight them on ideology rather than with weapons.

To this day, I don't think anyone in the western world has fully understand what causes terrorism, and I don't think the terrorist knows what is it that they stands for anymore other than the washed up cliche of invidelity vs. democracy. Is it about wealth? freedom? religion? ideology?

It's like trying to find the cure of people with AIDS, instead of tackling the AIDS we're spending billions on trying to fix the cold, the gangrene, the headache, the ulcer, and any other things too many to tackle instead of fixing the root of the cause.

Whether or not the root of the cause can be fixed, it's still better to fight them on ideology rather than with weapons.
It's about control and money, just like in N Korea. A few get everything, most have nothing - not even free will.

Seems that Brussels was lucky it wasn't worse. I read in the Flemish press that the perpetrators got a taxi from Schaerbeek to the airport, but the taxi was small so they were unable to get all their suitcases in.

Image taken from [CCTV of the three suspected attackers at the airport:

brussels-suspects_3599181b.jpg

There was also a suitcase bomb used apparently.
According to the Mayor, the two men dressed in dark jackets were killed in their suicide attack. The suicide belt(s) of the guy with the white jacket did not blow up and CCTV shows he fled from the airport.

Is it?

What do you think happens to gay people in 90% of the Muslim world?

Pretty appalling stuff, though its still not as bad as people in the West with absolutely no understanding of these countries (but with the perception that they understand a lot about Islam and the countries its practiced in) often think it is, where the image is seething angry masses of unkempt bearded men in robes and covered up women marching gays along the street to be stoned.

What happened to most gays in the West up until very recently? How was our war hero Alan Turing treated for example?

Gay rights are appalling in the majority of the 'Muslim world' but let's not pretend that we've always had a great enlightened attitude towards it. Attitudes in the West towards it have changed very very rapidly. The shift to allow gay marriage for example has only tipped in favour of majority in the UK/US very recently.

Gay people don't exactly get a great deal outside of 'the West'. Islam is hardly dominant across the rest of the world.

The bad treatment of women and gay people in the west is hardly comparable to the bad treatment of women and gay people in, say, the Middle East though, is it?

No its not. At all.

Then again, the bad treatment of the population in general in the Middle East, including Arab men, is hardly comparable to the treatment the population gets in the West is it?

When you can be tortured at the whim of some local policeman, when they can kill your whole family without punishment, beat you up for no reason, life is hardly dandy?

There's a thing called human rights in the West, which is generally followed. There isn't such a thing (really) in the Middle East. Whether you're a woman, a gay, a street child, a man, anything.

And that's not something that people seem to really get.

According to the Mayor, the two men dressed in dark jackets were killed in their suicide attack. The suicide belt(s) of the guy with the white jacket did not blow up and CCTV shows he fled from the airport.

Good. Less casualties and hopefully they can manage to catch him alive.

Wanted suspect named as Najim Laachraoui
The Brussels airport suspect still at large has been named as Najim Laachraoui, who was already being sought by police after he was linked to the Paris attacks in November, Reuters reports Belgian newspaper DH as saying.

On Monday, prosecutors said his DNA was found in houses used by the Paris attackers last year. He was also said to have travelled to Hungary in September with Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam.

Wanted suspect named as Najim Laachraoui
The Brussels airport suspect still at large has been named as Najim Laachraoui, who was already being sought by police after he was linked to the Paris attacks in November, Reuters reports Belgian newspaper DH as saying.

On Monday, prosecutors said his DNA was found in houses used by the Paris attackers last year. He was also said to have travelled to Hungary in September with Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam.
Where do you get that from? I think this is an article written after the arrest of Salah Abdeslam last Friday. The guy who escaped the house and is still on the run was identified as Najim Laachraoui so I think the article is about that. Find it hard to believe he's been involved in yesterday's attacks and nothing of the sort has been confirmed by our official news sites. Our authorities seem to think one of the guys in black is one of the brothers El Bakraoui, either Khalid or Ibrahim. identity of the guy with the white coat is still unknown atm.

Gay rights are appalling in the majority of the 'Muslim world' but let's not pretend that we've always had a great enlightened attitude towards it. Attitudes in the West towards it have changed very very rapidly. The shift to allow gay marriage for example has only tipped in favour of majority in the UK/US very recently.

Gay people don't exactly get a great deal outside of 'the West'. Islam is hardly dominant across the rest of the world.
Russia even managed to diminish gay rights. In Eastern European countries it's not widely accepted or tolerated.

Belgian media report that the third suspect who was on the run has been arrested in Anderlecht.

I genuinely think a large part of it is the seemingly very human need to be a part of something bigger than them, to give their life 'worth'. Even though it actually makes them absolutely worthless. Similar to why people join gangs a lot of the time, in my opinion.

I'm not completely opposed to it being fought with weapons to an extent (indiscriminate killing aside), specially if it's not our country doing the bulk of it, but I agree that it needs to be dealt with at the root level too. Of course, a major issue has been that there has been a lot of indiscriminate killing which is then having an affect on said root level.
I think a real solution would be to get rid of those that are the problem, whilst building up communities in the primary areas and offering the rest of the people something to live for (and it being clear we're helping them). I'm just not sure our governments are prepared to actually do that and we've shown before that half arsing it doesn't get anyone very far.

Last edited:
That's not a sensible approach. He should be caught, interrogated and brought to justice.

I like the caught and interrogated bit, but justice? What exactly would justice be for someone like this? A lifetime behind bars? Sounds expensive, pointless and also gives him the opportunity to spread his vile ideas.

Where do you get that from? I think this is an article written after the arrest of Salah Abdeslam last Friday. The guy who escaped the house and is still on the run was identified as Najim Laachraoui so I think the article is about that. Find it hard to believe he's been involved in yesterday's attacks and nothing of the sort has been confirmed by our official news sites. Our authorities seem to think one of the guys in black is one of the brothers El Bakraoui, either Khalid or Ibrahim. identity of the guy with the white coat is still unknown atm.

It is the same man....

Suspect 'held'
Brussels attacks suspect Suspect Najim Laachraoui has been arrested in Anderlecht, Belgium's DH newspaper is reporting. He was named as one of the three men in CCTV footage released by police after Tuesday's explosions but was already being sought by police over his alleged links to November's Paris attacks.

I like the caught and interrogated bit, but justice? What exactly would justice be for someone like this? A lifetime behind bars? Sounds expensive, pointless and also gives him the opportunity to spread his vile ideas.
I'm all for lifetime bans. Killing killers is not the answer to killers.

I'm all for lifetime bans. Killing killers is not the answer to killers.

I am not for capital punishment but personally I think the world is better off with the terrorists being killed during their attacks.

Typical. Najim Laachrouia has NOT been arrested after all.

Thats what they want though. Being locked up for the rest of their lives is exactly what they don't want.

Well, if tax payers have to foot the bill for them to survive in a prison for the next 60 years, I would imagine many wouldn't be that bothered if they were no longer with us.

On a sidenote, the city of Brussels has asked the KBVB to postpone Tuesday's game against Portugal.

I know if they cancel it'll be because they have valid reasons to do so, but fecking hell I badly wanted to see Ronaldo live for the first time :(

Typical. Najim Laachrouia has NOT been arrested after all.
Where do you get this from?

A presser of the prosecutors is set for 13:00 CET. This should shed some light on the matter.

Belgium-Portugal next Tuesday is cancelled.

I really wonder what will happen if IS succeeds to attack a French city in the run up to the Euros.

I really wonder what will happen if IS succeeds to attack a French city in the run up to the Euros.

Because of its geographical position France will always be vulnerable, if IS wants to attack a french city, they will.

:(

Well Euro 96 did have a bombing coincide with it, although you could argue there is basically no parallel given that warnings were given before hand.

But yeah, I'm a little worried about it. I'm not sure that they are doing enough at all.