Explosions at Boston Marathon

I really don't understand how people are listening in to the Police radio's? Surely if thats possible it would serverely compromise any police opperation if people can just freely listen in?

Probably could have an entire thread on the whole 24 hrs news media, social networking and the consumers thirst for getting information now rather than later. Heck even in this thread some of us have gone to sites where we can listen to the police scanner to try and get info ASAP. It seems as much as the 24 hr news media drives our thirst for info, that our thirst for info drives them.

But perhaps later I will make a thread to discuss this, lets not derail this thread too much.

why do they need tanks, humvee's and so many armed cops to catch 1 guy?

I really don't understand how people are listening in to the Police radio's? Surely if thats possible it would serverely compromise any police opperation if people can just freely listen in?

I thought that too, they turned it off for a while earlier so it didn't do compromise this operation.

Probably could have an entire thread on the whole 24 hrs news media, social networking and the consumers thirst for getting information now rather than later. Heck even in this thread some of us have gone to sites where we can listen to the police scanner to try and get info ASAP. It seems as much as the 24 hr news media drives our thirst for info, that our thirst for info drives them.

But perhaps later I will make a thread to discuss this, lets not derail this thread too much.

I was thinking this myself as well. At the minute I'm listening to a police scanner, following breaking news on twitter, looking at reddit, and reading this thread.

Doesn't seem right yet I'm doing it anyway?

I think it's normal to be enthralled by the events. It might seem perverse due to what's happened but it is exciting.

I0000mAtTqiZ3vbk.jpg

its a discussion worth having. Im scared its our thirst that needs feeding.

"Binoculars, scanners we all listen to jake..."

As Ghostface outlined in Raekwon's 10 Bricks, it's fairly easy to do and has been so for years.

I really is like watching real life GTA. Its mental.

I still dont understand how he got away from the Police in the first place.

The tanks might be APCs and the Humvee will certainly be armoured...these guys dealt in bombs so there is a requirement to have explosive resistant vehicles.

As for the number of officers, it's overwhelming force. If the suspect gets a glimpse of what's tailing him he might be inclined to give up. Plus, you can bet all LE agencies want to catch this guy.

"Binoculars, scanners we all listen to jake..."

As Ghostface outlined in Raekwon's 10 Bricks, it's fairly easy to do and has been so for years.

I genuinely didnt know you could do that, as least not so freely or easily as it appears you can.

I genuinely didnt know you could do that, as least not so freely or easily as it appears you can.

Yeah I can recall people I knew who listened to police radio traffic in the 70s, probably before then, too.

To the point now where there are apps on your phone for this shite if you want to. It's been available for years and years.

Do the 24/7 media consider that in giving such a detailed commentary that they are sabotaging the efforts of the police and FBI?

To the point now where there are apps on your phone for this shite if you want to. It's been available for years and years.

Bloody hell!

Surely that would seriously compromise them?

The tanks might be APCs and the Humvee will certainly be armoured...these guys dealt in bombs so there is a requirement to have explosive resistant vehicles.

As for the number of officers, it's overwhelming force. If the suspect gets a glimpse of what's tailing him he might be inclined to give up. Plus, you can bet all LE agencies want to catch this guy.

Plus given the area they are searching, the number of buildings, etc. It takes a fair number to try and cordon an area like that off and conduct all the searches.

At the end of the day it might turn out to be excessive, but you also have to consider the amount of blame that would be leveled if they had too few officers/national guardsmen involved and the suspect got away and later killed more people.

Completely different to how police would deal in the UK. Seems overly excessive.

IIRC the hunt for Raoul Moat was a bit excessive. They even shipped in special armoured vehicles from Northern Ireland.

I guess this is even more of a challenge because he's possibly carrying explosives.

99c8e4a4-2c3e-4ea4-9f27-16d4f7caed12_500.jpg

Gilberto Junior is a Somerville mechanic who took care of the two suspects cars.

Joe Bearto Junior said 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev came by on Tuesday to pick up his girlfriend's car, a Mercedes with a missing bumper.

Junior said Tsarnaev seemed in a hurry. He said he has repaired the two brothers cars for about a year-and-a-half. He said they both seem very nice clean-cut guys. The never ranted against the government or show any signs that they would be violent, he said.

Junior said the brothers associated with what appeared to be wealthy foreign students who drove fancy cars. Junior said he feels betrayed. Almost in tears, he said he feels guilty that he had the suspect and he let him go because he didn't know who he really was

Read more: http://livewire.wcvb.com/Event/117th_Running_of_Boston_Marathon#ixzz2QvDHCmOi

Bloody hell!

You'd have to assume it isn't exactly ideal for them, but given they must know how easily it is for the public to listen in, they would adjust accordingly.

Do the 24/7 media consider that in giving such a detailed commentary that they are sabotaging the efforts of the police and FBI?

They should just get a reporter to come on camera and say it's OK we've stopped looking for him and then he'll come out of hiding. I can just picture the shock on his face when they catch him, he'll be all like "hey, you said you weren't looking for me any more, that's not fair!"

Bloody hell!

Yes criminals do try and use them, but the cops do not always broadcast everything they are doing ahead of time either. In this type of situation they suspect probably has a good idea anyways of what he is up against, so it is not much of a problem.

Overall given these broadcast are being made over the airwaves, even if scanners were illegal it probably would not be difficult to use various radio technology to find the channels anyways.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no, This morning on one news broadcast the reporter was quick to mention that the info she was about to give had been cleared by law enforcement officials.

Not yet but since you mention that I bet some media nut will read this post and would offer to some cities the opportunity of making a few million dollars if they use that kind of helmets.

Google glass will be out soon. Then shit will start to get fecked up.

It is all very over the top, I guess they don't want anymore deaths but shutting down a whole city for one person!?

How did they even manage to lose him in the first place? Seems unbelievably incompetent without the amount of police who've been in operation, even if they did lose him briefly they should surely have been able to place him to a very small area with helicopters and the like.

All this has shown is how frightningly underprepared the US police service is for dealing with terrorists. Basically just encouraging any would be terrorists to have a go.

The Uncle has said that he wishes they never existed, he also called Tamerlan (the older one) "a loser".

What I don't understand regarding the police scanners is how are they available now that they are digital? Surely the point in going digital was to stop people listening in, which is and was always illegal.

It is all very over the top, I guess they don't want anymore deaths but shutting down a whole city for one person!?

How did they even manage to lose him in the first place? Seems unbelievably incompetent without the amount of police who've been in operation, even if they did lose him briefly they should surely have been able to place him to a very small area with helicopters and the like.

All this has shown is how frightningly underprepared the US police service is for dealing with terrorists. Basically just encouraging any would be terrorists if a small scale bomb and one suspect on the loose can cause this much disruption.

Do we know how many officers were involved in the initial car chase? I know right now looking at the thousands in the area it is easy to wonder how any got away from the initial chase, but it might be that the number initially involved were fewer?

It was not a bad idea shutting down the mass transit in the city, once the suspect did get away, last thing you want is him getting on a crowded subway or bus right?