Explosions at Boston Marathon

Given the amount of misinformation and error that has occurred in the identification of suspects over the past 24 hours, you'd think the media would be a bit more cautious. Sky News are already analysing the names to suggest the exact location of where the suspects are from. At least it seems they have identified the right people this time, though. We just don't know enough about them.

If they really are Chechens it'll be interesting to see how Putin responds, or rather how he makes use of it.

And the woman on MSNBC just suggested Ana Politkovskaya might have been killed by Chechens... it was quite clearly Russians who did that.

Seems like it's Islamic terrorism.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but Chechen terrorism has proved to be some of the most vicious of all. There is a combination of fierce anti-imperial/political terrorism with realistic goals, with a violent interpretation of religious jihad. I can't quite understand the link between the political side of that and a terrorist attack in the USA, though.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun, but Chechen terrorism has proved to be some of the most vicious of all. There is a combination of fierce anti-imperial/political terrorism with realistic goals, with a violent interpretation of religious jihad. I can't quite understand the link between the political side of that and a terrorist attack in the USA, though.

Me neither, though I don't know that much about Chechen terrorism (apart from the fact that they have a major beef with Russia). That hostage situation (in Moscow?) some years ago was horrible though.

Reading now that they might be Dagestani...the Kremlin will definitely be taking advantage of that if it's true.

Me neither, though I don't know that much about Chechen terrorism. That hostage situation (in Moscow?) some years ago was horrible though.

As well as that, the Beslan school massacre has to rank as the most disgusting act of terrorism of our time.

It'll be interesting to see if there is a link between Chechen separatism and this attack, or if it is just a case of radicalised religious nuts wanting to kill people.

NPR News ‏@nprnews 41m Third man has been arrested. He's being called an accomplice, not yet called a suspect, reports NPR's Dina Temple-Raston.

Hopefully if this is true it will allow the authorities to get information and a motive etc.

Is there anything else to back this up?

I've just got the BBC Live Text up, who seem to be just about the only ones that can reliably do live texts, and they haven't mentioned anything about an accomplice.

the link with the chechens is quite simple, they're radical Muslims, after their war finished they joined up with other radical muslim terror groups like AQ.

jesus tittyfcuking christ - did you just label millions of chechens as radicals? Because that is fecking bullshit.

They fought for independence not because they were radical islamists, but did islamists help? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean they are all radical islamists, I suppose you think all palestinians are radical islamists too?

As well as that, the Beslan school massacre has to rank as the most disgusting act of terrorism of our time.

It'll be interesting to see if there is a link between Chechen separatism and this attack, or if it is just a case of radicalised religious nuts wanting to kill people.

Right, that was the one I was thinking of. Brutal.

Is there anything else to back this up?

I've just got the BBC Live Text up, who seem to be just about the only ones who seem to be one of the few places that can reliably do live texts, and they haven't mentioned anything about an accomplice.

It wasn't mentioned by Deval Patrick or the authorities in the press conference about 30 minutes ago so it may have been bad info. Sorry.

I still cant get my head around how a suspect can escape a car chase, and shootout with the police, and still remain at large, what?, 8 hours later?

I mean, how does one man escape all those police and still get away? Especially if he's on foot. He's either increibly clever, or incredibly lucky.

CNN has just confirmed a woman was taken from the home of the suspect.

Reporter now mentioning smoke and major police movement.

Could the person led away in handcuffs be the guy who's car was stolen prior to the pursuit? Seeing as he has now been released?

I get the impression that could be the case.

I wonder what happened after the persuit and how one is still outstanding.

jesus tittyfcuking christ - did you just label millions of chechens as radicals? Because that is fecking bullshit.

They fought for independence not because they were radical islamists, but did islamists help? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean they are all radical islamists, I suppose you think all palestinians are radical islamists too?

Way to overreact ya Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime, I'm simply saying that some of the more radical of the chechens then moved onto linking up with Muslim terror movements.

BBC talking of Kurdistan, not Chechnya.

Lolwot? Kurds are the best friends the Yanks have in the Middle East after the Israelis.

The Chechen link isn't as surprising as some make it out to be. Yes their animosity is mostly geared towards Russia, but their insurgent movement is heavily internalised within Al Qaeda's umbrella. They also have a considerable presence within the Al-Qaeda militias making up the FSA in Syria.

So much to catch up on here having been asleep for much of this.

Of Chechen descent but American residents of some years, that will leave some interesting questions in regard to motivation and how they got to this point in life.

Apparently he's posting online that he's going to kill everyone because they killed his brother. Doesn't look good for bringing him in alive if true.

That Boston radio posted earlier on in this thread. Suspect is posting online "I'm going to kill everyone because they killed my brother." Sure I just heard that.

Apparently he's posting online that he's going to kill everyone because they killed his brother. Doesn't look good for bringing him in alive if true.

I really doubt he wants to be taken alive, he probably has a bomb belt/suicide vest like his brother. I'm surprised he hasn't killed himself already.

Posting online from where? His cellphone? An internet cafe? Laptop?

Could they just not track his location from that?

I don't think there was much chance of taking him alive to begin with but he won't be now.

If he really posted that, his anger at his brother being killed? Really, dude?

There's a load of houses being surrounded, naturally followed by idiots on twitter posting pictures of the tactical positions the police have. This is so ridiculously Black Mirror in times.

The account with that threat seems to be a hoax. Ridiculous.

I really doubt he wants to be taken alive, he probably has a bomb belt/suicide vest like his brother. I'm surprised he hasn't killed himself already.

Yeah I'd imagine you're right, that's the way these things seem to end.

Posting online from where? His cellphone? An internet cafe? Laptop?

Could they just not track his location from that?

Well they are focusing on a location so maybe they have. Although if I've learnt anything from The Following it's that the FBI are inept and a proxy will stop them.

CBS are incredibly tasteless. Interviewing one of the bombers uncles who is clearly in shock and incredibly upset and forcing questions upon him after almost ambushing him on his driveway.

"So when did you find out your nephew was dead?"

CBS are incredibly tasteless. Interviewing one of the bombers uncles who is clearly in shock and incredibly upset and forcing questions upon him after almost ambushing him on his driveway.

"So when did you find out your nephew was dead?"

It's a live episode of 24 for the networks.