EU Referendum | UK residents vote today.

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the EU?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ck_q7jJXAAIiOWV.jpg

As a general rule I tend to think if you find yourself on the same side of an argument as Katie Hopkins you probably need to have a quiet word with yourself

I take it you are another conservative voting or would be conservative voter turned critic of the Brexit vote you created by voting conservative and now try to disavow.

The problem you have with your stance is that if as you say it could lead to such a terrible outcome for the country as you predict then why vote for an anti EU party and the end of political civilisation in Europe as we know it?

Labour said no referendum vote and of all the shit you say is going to happen after a Brexit vote happens only if people vote conservative. This is on you and people like you who voted for that party.

If it is going to be so bad and you really think it will be so bad then why vote for the party which proposed the referendum?

Attacking people for voting leave at this point having voted conservative to get the referendum in the first place makes you either and idiot who didn't realise the importance of the referendum or an idiot who didn't realise the outcome was uncertain or you are now lying about the possible consequences of an out vote unless voting ED caused WW3 and destroyed the NHS etc etc.

To put it bluntly vote Ed avoid Brexit Vote Dave risk Brexit. You would only vote Dave if Brexit wasn't such a big deal because if it was the obvious disaster people like you say it would be then you would not have voted for the party promising the referendum.

If the vote was tomorrow I will vote remain. I hold the people who voted for the party in power who called the referendum in the first place responsible for the outcome. Can't see how anyone voting conservative can really wriggle out of that.

No, I've always been a labour voter. But if you want to continue to make false assumptions it only really serves to show that your way of thinking isn't really working out. The rest of your post is just bollocks based on something you were wrong about to begin with.

The question though is would you want Ukip or Greens to have 10-15% of parliament ever?

It's a crap argument though, isn't it? I've always thought it was rubbish. Would I want UKIP to have 12% of the seats in the House of Parliament? No. But what I want is a bit of a stupid reason for objecting to democracy. Clearly some people do want that and, although I think they're massive idiots for doing so, the basic principle of democracy is that you decide on the government you want. Designing a system, and then justifying that system by basically saying 'sorry, but your decision was too stupid, you don't get a chance to be represented', is inherently un-democratic.

I actually think that the UKIP argument is a bit of a double edged sword. On the one hand, yes, looking at the 2015 data and saying they should have got 12% of seats is true. But the 2015 election was conducted under FPTP and people voted based on that. A vote for UKIP may be a vote for Ukip, but it just as equally may be a vote against the main parties. As soon as you make it likely that a vote for UKIP becomes a vote for UKIP and directly leads to them getting seats they don't really become as effective a protest vote.

I also would say that the other aspect of it is the effect it will have on parties like the Green party. Ideologically I would say I come closest to being a Green Party voter than anything else. But I wouldn't vote for them, because I think they're a terrible party (I also can't because they didn't bother to field a candidate in my constituency) but as soon as you give them a tangible incentive to actually behave, act, and suggest policy like a rational, normal party I think they'll start to do it. They operate on the basis at the minute that it doesn't matter what they say in their manifesto because it's not going to happen and anyone that read their manifesto in 2015 could not, in good faith, vote for them.

So yeah, sorry went off on a bit of a tangent. The truth is next election I probably will either not vote again (because I have nobody to vote for and because it doesn't count) or go and draw a picture of a transformer shooting dicks out of its eyes to shut up my girlfriend who thinks that going to do that is a more valid form of protest.

What the feck is happening at the moment?

The Thames flotillas is a new nadir.

Also, wilful ignorance from Leave

And to be clear, there are valid criticisms of the EU, but if Leave wins it will have been won on the back of misinformation and appealing to the toxic anti-immigration sentiment of working class and older voters

feck me you brits know how to feck up when it comes to votes. This is going to be a shitty mess now when you leave the EU. A domino effect with Scotland and Northern Ireland wont be too far behind.

Think the US might be joining the fecking up voting club when/if Trump gets elected.

Is Mr Dyson vacuum cleaner evil as well? I mean I know the Dyson is well overrated and that you can't beat a Henry for value and durability.
Isn't he mad because he lost some legal dispute with the EU?

EDIT: Indeed he did... seems to be driven solely by self interest here.

How does a businessman go from supporting British membership of the euro to calling for Brexit?

For Sir James Dyson, the road to Damascus was paved with vacuum cleaner standards. The entrepreneur said in 2000 that it would be "suicidal" for Britain not to join the euro.

But last weekend he backed the Leave campaign, pointing to the fact that Dyson lost a legal challenge to the EU labelling rules seven months ago.

Vote Leave, the official Out campaign, has been quick to criticise businesses that favour remaining in the EU, such as JPMorgan, as self-interested.

Read more: http://www.afr.com/news/world/europ...-to-back-brexit-20160614-gpj4zp#ixzz4BethtuaL

Is Mr Dyson vacuum cleaner evil as well? I mean I know the Dyson is well overrated and that you can't beat a Henry for value and durability.

His reasons for leaving were basically: 'I like money. Money please. Can I have more money?'

Doubt even Vote Leave would put much stock in his arguments.

But what if you're not confident of our own liberal values, and see those as being significantly at risk from a move away from the EU's guaranteed protection of human and workers rights, and towards the model government of the likes of Boris, Farage, IDS and Gove?

I can't believe that you genuinely think that Britain will be a 'fairer' or more liberal country in five years time as a result of Brexit.

I honestly don't know why you are linking Farage with government, for he'll do well to remain leader of UKIP in the months and years ahead. But seriously, which specific rights do you envisage a British citizen losing in the very near future?

I have to believe that it is possible for us to improve our situation, otherwise i'd be hostage to the whims of the European Union, and i know that Brussels is not a path toward fairness and liberality. It might not be within five years, but the course of ten or twenty is another matter entirely.

After this referendum it shall be my aim to support those campaigning against TTIP: a treaty favoured by Juncker et al, and one that will harm the human/workers' rights of which you speak.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know why you are linking Farage with government, for he'll do well to remain leader of UKIP in the months and years ahead. But seriously, which specific rights do you envisage a British citizen losing in the very near future?

I have to believe that it is possible for us to improve our situation, otherwise i'd be hostage to the whims of the European Union, and i know that Brussels is not a path toward fairness and liberality. It might not be within five years, but the course of ten or twenty is another matter entirely .

As opposed to the whims of the UK government who, by your own admission, you do not have a say in electing.

EDIT: Although this question is fairly leading, the contrast is still revealing

This is not good. This is seemingly making the argument against universal suffrage if those with lower education levels are going to reject the learned opinions of those with higher ones.

If the experts are from the financial arena is it really any surprise that the public have grown cynical over the years?

I've read the raw data for many of reports promoted by Remain (i wonder how many of its voters have done likewise), and the deceit is front and centre.

As opposed to the whims of the UK government who, by your own admission, you do not have a say in electing.

I did?

Last edited:
Seriously who invited Geldoff to the argument? Can't stand that man

If the experts are from the financial arena is it really any surprise that the public have grown cynical over the years?

I've read the raw data for many of reports promoted by Remain (i wonder how many of its voters have done likewise), and the deceit is front and centre.
Look at the first graphic that was posted of who Remains trust vs. who Leaves trust...

You, or those who are apparently voting like you, seemingly don't trust anyone other than Joe Schmoe on the street corner.

Say what you like about Geldolf he's right about Farage pretending to standing up for the common fisherman.

Well I went to vote yes, then no, then yes again - there should be an I DON'T BLOODY KNOW option.

I think the problem is that no-one actually knows if we'll be better off or not - it's all supposition. There are advantages and disadvantages, and we won't know until the vote is over and something happens to tell us whether or not we were right.

'For the first time in four decades i can express my democratic will directly, and i'm damn well not going to waste the opportunity.'

I assume you mean on the issue of Britain's membership in the EU (if you dont its factually incorrect even in our broken system) but if you dont trust general elections as a means to express your democratic will on such an important issue as this how can you, on the other hand, hold them up as an effective way to hold government to account for the more trivial matter of 'defending liberal values'. There's a logical inconsistency there.

I've read the raw data for many of reports promoted by Remain (i wonder how many of its voters have done likewise), and the deceit is front and centre

It's not surprising, and is a symptom of the wider distrust for the establishment which UKIP and subsequently Leave have been tapping in to, but it is very dangerous to have a significant slice of the electorate who are wilfully distrustful of every source of information, independent or otherwise on a single issue referendum.

Well I went to vote yes, then no, then yes again - there should be an I DON'T BLOODY KNOW option.

I think the problem is that no-one actually knows if we'll be better off or not - it's all supposition. There are advantages and disadvantages, and we won't know until the vote is over and something happens to tell us whether or not we were right.
even then we will never know if we were right - because we cant say for certain what would happen the other way.
Just ask yourself if you want to be on the same side of the (well any) debate as Katie Hopkins... if that does not make your mind up then seek help.

Look at the first graphic that was posted of who Remains trust vs. who Leaves trust...

You, or those who are apparently voting like you, seemingly don't trust anyone other than Joe Schmoe on the street corner.

That's, what, a thousand people performing an online survey? And what are we meant to infer from those Tweets, the Leavers are thick?

Why though, should the opinion of an actor or sportsperson be held in higher regard than well-informed individual?

I will respect the opinion of an academic or NGO (particularly if the latter group are among those i support) and attempt to analyse their position as beast as i am able. Many of the rest, however, should be considered with greater caution.

So? If Boris can help to secure a victory for Leave then i will be most grateful to him for that, however it doesn't mean he's got my vote in a GE or support on every area of policy.

In the same vein as when he was London mayor, i voted for him in 2008 but not in 2012.,

Ck_q7jJXAAIiOWV.jpg

As a general rule I tend to think if you find yourself on the same side of an argument as Katie Hopkins you probably need to have a quiet word with yourself

Griffin and Farage on one side. That would be enough to make me run the other way

David Icke... to be fair they do have the son of god on their side

In the long term, yes. And long term economic predictions are hugely unreliable (economics is the study of the behaviours of people, and people are irrational and unpredictable).

However…

Markets hate uncertainty. The lack of a clear Brexit plan means that the immediate response to Brexit will be a fall in Sterling, inflation and a compensatory interest rate rise. It will also almost certainly lead to an economic contraction, which means lower tax receipts and increased government borrowing or tax rises and spending cuts (and we have more than enough of those in the pipeline anyway unless a post Camerosbourne Conservative government abandons austerity completely). Probably more borrowing, which isn't in itself a problem but does make the last 6 years of cuts which have fuelled the anger leading to a Brexit vote look incredibly heartless/pointless

Last edited:
That's, what, a thousand people performing an online survey? And what are we meant to infer from those Tweets, the Leavers are thick?

Why though, should the opinion of an actor or sportsperson be held in higher regard than well-informed individual?

I will respect the opinion of an academic or NGO (particularly if the latter group are among those i support) and attempt to analyse their position as beast as i am able. Many of the rest, however, should be considered with greater caution.

This is sleight of hand Nick

1. Should we just abandon all opinion polling?

2. I don't think anyone is saying that the opinions of famous sports-people or actors should be trusted. It is the distrust of any independent authority figures that is concerning, which as I have already said is representative of the overall distrust of the establishment Leave taps into. The fact that they distrust uninformed public figures as well is not redeeming.

So? If Boris can help to secure a victory for Leave then i will be most grateful to him for that, however it doesn't mean he's got my vote in a GE or support on every area of policy.

In the same vein as when he was London mayor, i voted for him in 2008 but not in 2012.,

Do you really believe that a union whose 1/3 the size of Texas and who had just shown the middle finger to all its neighbours (Clinton had urged the UK to remain in the EU) will be in a situation to demand an ala carte trade deal? You'll be lucky if you're offered the same trade deal the EU was given.

You may not notice but the empire doesn't exist anymore. The UK is a relatively rich but small country with plenty of countries who doesn't like it very much.

1) Do you understand how poll sampling works? Because based on this statement, you do clearly do not.

2) Don't cherry pick "actor" and "athlete" knowing full well there are many "well-informed" groups on that list that the Leave bloc also clearly does not trust.

3) Then you are in the vast minority of your voting bloc.

bit like a rich malta I suppose ;)

We're actually loved by our neighbours and we've got a lower unemployment rate + debt rate then Britain. The highest rates of immigrants in Malta (you know, those who steals jobs, clog the streets, eat the local children etc etc) are actually the Brits.

However, the Maltese are not immune from thinking that they're in the centre of the world just like the Brits do. I guess that's the curse of every island nation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.